Thread: Status of 2012/2013 Season

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Status of 2012/2013 Season

Hey guys,

I just returned from a 3 week vacation in Peru/Brazil so I'm a little out of the loop. I've read a few of the more recent articles, but I wanted to get your views on how the outlook of the season is shaping up - especially from those of you who have been following this over the summer, or those of you who have contacts on the inside. What is the current general sentiment?

Aside from my obvious fantasy hockey addiction, I've got a bit more at stake as I scored four seats for the winter classic in Detroit - so I'm praying that the season doesn't get cancelled!

Administrator

IMO the winter classic is safe. I still think there will be a lockout, although the latest owners offer surprised me. I did not think they would budge from their initial stance until the resolution they want is in sight.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

I don't follow it too closely, but I would be shocked if they let a lockout ruin the winter classic. They're not going to lose that. Congrats, by the way! That's going to be amazing!

The classic aside, I'm encouraged a bit by the owner's latest offering. It won't be the last offer, but it's a healthy step forward, it seems. Who knows, though.

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm optimistic of a season startting sometime in October. There has been progress made in the last week and the two sides are still meeting regulalry to work it out.

In my opinion things would really have to breakdown for the Winter Classic to be jeopardized (I sure hope im right cause I have tickets to it as well).

Dobber Sports Stud

Hard to summarize. The NHL made their first pitch just over a month ago, the players made their first response a couple of weeks ago, and the owners have just made their second pitch yesterday (this second pitch is the lead story on tsn.ca right now). The two sides are talking (which is good), they are talking more regularly than last time (which is good), they are both showing signs of being willing to make concessions (which is good), they are still quite a ways apart (not so good), the players are starting to look at temporary overseas employment (not so good) and the SEL has said they won't take any rental players (which is interesting). As for the current general sentiment, IMHO it is that there is guarded optimism that the sides will agree and that there will be a season, but that it will be shortened one - how shortened is anyone's guess. The league's NBC money is secure for this year but it means that contract is extended for a year at the end (so really the league just gets the money up front). HBO/winter classic remains a big question mark (and will be used as leverage in negotitations), and I'd be concerned if I was you.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Interesting... sounds like its still too early to have any reliable indication on which way it could swing.

I'll be devastated (not to mention royally pissed) if the Winter Classic gets cancelled. I know it's a big event, especially with the HBO series attached to it, but in the grand scheme of things, I doubt it will have much influence on negotiations.

I'm still trying to decide which side I want to blame for all of this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I'm still trying to decide which side I want to blame for all of this.
    At this point, the players appeared to be more willing to play ball. The owners (up until yesterday's offer) looked like they wanted to squash the union again.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust