Thread: When is 100-point player not a 100-point player anymore?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default When is 100-point player not a 100-point player anymore?

Someone posted something in another thread that got me thinking (bear with me a little): Think of hockey players you consider to be 100-point players. What do you use for your criteria?

While reading the forums, I see a lot of people say player X is a 100-point player. And I'm curious at what point does a player stop being a 100-point player despite the fact he's hit that number?

For example: Evgeni Malkin is considered a 100-point guy because he has reached that many points in a season (last year being the most recent). But Eric Staal isn't, even though he hit the mark. Granted, it was seven seasons ago, but you get my thought process.

Crosby hasn't gotten 100 points since three seasons ago. Is he still a 100-point player? Same with Nick Backstrom, Ovechkin and Henrik Sedin. Are they all considered 100-point players still? Should they be?

Does it have to do with opportunity? Seasons since they hit that mark? Age of the player?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd say any player that could post 100 points next year without a lot of people being surprised it happened.

So yes, while Crosby hasn't hit the mark due to injuries recently, no one would really be surprised at all if he played 70 games next year and broke the century mark.

Same perhaps goes for Ovechkin. Yeah he's had a dismal stretch by his standards these past two years, but again, he could go 50-50 next year and it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Administrator

100 is a nice round number, but the rank is reserved for the truly elite and consistent offensive players. Basically, if you think there is a solid chance that a given player is on pace for 100 points in the upcoming season, then the guy is considered a 100 point guy.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Scoring has been going down a bit. Guys that I would list it being possible/probable include:

Crosby
    Malkin
    Giroux
    Ovechkin
    Backstrom
    RNH
    H Sedin
    D Sedin

Thats probably all I would expect unless Im forgetting about somebody.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Master

Ah the allure of a 100pt player...
    Crosby, Malkin, and Ovi are all 100pt players (they've hit it and are a good bet to do so again), Stamkos has never hit 100pts.

Over the last three years, average production:
    Crosby 71
    Malkin 74
    Ovi 86
    Stamkos 94

I find it funny that the only guy to not hit 100pts in that span is the closest to it in average production...
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Ah the allure of a 100pt player...
    Crosby, Malkin, and Ovi are all 100pt players (they've hit it and are a good bet to do so again), Stamkos has never hit 100pts.

Over the last three years, average production:
    Crosby 71
    Malkin 74
    Ovi 86
    Stamkos 94

I find it funny that the only guy to not hit 100pts in that span is the closest to it in average production...
    In fairness to Crosby and Malkin, they both have missed serious time with injuries, and if you project their respective production over a full 82 you're looking at:

Crosby - 120
    Malkin - 98
    Stamkos - 94
    OV - 92

Granted, you can't score if you don't play, but I don't think discounting Malkin and Crosby's production is fair, especially since when you talk about "100 point players" you're usually talking about guys you think can/will score 100 points this upcoming season. I do think it's fair to say that the phrase gets thrown around way too much, and for my money the only true "100 point player" in the league is a healthy Crosby. Guys like Stamkos, Malkin, and Ovechkin are 90 point guys that have a shot of hitting 100 in a good year.

Dobber Sports Star

Geno has 3 100+ pt seasons in the past 5 years, id classify him as a 100+ pt player.

In my mind the only 100+ players in the league right now are Crosby and Malkin. The next few guys would be some combination of Stamkos, Giroux and Ovechkin. After that, a reasonably large group in the 85+ range

Dobber Sports Deity

For me, until they actually hit 100 pts, I dont consider them 100 pt players so I dont put guys like Giroux, Stamkos, Tavares in the conversation.

As far as 100 pt players, i am like Kovalchuk17. Crosby and Malkin are the only 100 pt players left in the NHL. If they play a full season they will continue to hit the century mark. OV has slid down to the 85+ pt area (and right now even thats being generous).

We can start mentioning others after they actually make it to the golden mark. Until then, we are simply talking about potential. Reading the OP, he was asking about 100pt players no longer being 100pt players, not 100pt potential.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I have to agree with Axemann33 here.....until they hit 100pts, it's hard to consider anyone a 100pt person. It's like calling someone a millionaire but only having $950,000 in the bank. It's an elite status (especially these days). That being said, there's a difference between 100pt player and 100pt potential player. I think there are too many predictors out there who throw the 100 potential label around too lightly (look at THN Fantasy Guide, they had Spezza at 100 pts for years....)
    Until they get there, they don't deserve the label. Sure they may only hit it once...ie Eric Staal, but did it. May not do it again, but one can say they have and still can again.
    The only 100pt players I see doing it this year are Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, and maybe H.Sedin, and that's a big maybe.
    The "potential" 100pt players this year.....Stamkos, Giroux with a huge maybe vote to Tavares.
    So I listed 7 players to potentially top 100pts, but odds are only 3-4 will actually do it.......scratch it all if there is an extended lockout.....

Regardless of what I said, I do and will always throw the "he has 100 potential" when trying to sell a player.....who wouldn't. Got to love Fantasy Hockey Pools!!!
    14 team points only league
    9 forwards (3 of each position)
    4 defense
    2 goalies
    farm team option
    Must submit top 4 pointing players back into draft at end of every season
    14 rounds
    Can only carry over 12 players each year

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Scoring has been going down a bit. Guys that I would list it being possible/probable include:

Crosby
    Malkin
    Giroux
    Ovechkin
    Backstrom
    RNH
    H Sedin
    D Sedin

Thats probably all I would expect unless Im forgetting about somebody.
    Pretty solid list, although I would add Stamkos, Tavares and Eberle as players who could realistically hit 100 in the near future. Of course a player like Pat Kane, Kopitar or Hall could have a sick season and hit the century mark but it's not as likely right now IMO.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka