Thread: Rule Circumvention?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Rule Circumvention?

Rule Circumvention?
    Well I may have just pulled a move off that will get rejected.. what are you guys thoughts?

2nd Sig – Inherited last year and I’m switching it around quite a bit..

We have a rule in place that any offseason free agent that is picked up must be a keeper for you the following year (to avoid people loading up on players to prevent other teams from getting potential keepers)
    I picked up Holtby during his playoff run and he was immediately force dropped from my team and the new rule was you have to keep that player so I had the opportunity to pick him up again but I decided not to.
    With that rule still in place I picked up OEL who I am keeping
    ESPN just re-opened and I immediately picked up Yakupov (no waiver wire on him – I was probably one of the first to log in). Will this fly? I was planning on picking him up with my compensation keeper pick which I won’t have now because I will have to keep him. I feel like I am going to get some comments back saying this isn’t aloud but I felt it is better that I do it than and have it get rejected than someone else.
    Sketchy move on my part or just playing the game?
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Master

I dunno dude, seems a bit sketchy to me. Good move on picking up OEL, but the Yakupov decision seems to be a loophole that you discovered. I doubt that your league wants to make it that rookies are given to the GMs that log into ESPN first on the day that they become available.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Must be a glitch with ESPN. Would not fly in my league, I'm emailing my league manager right now about a penalty system for anyone trying to do that

Dobber Sports Expert

Even though there isn't a rule on it, it really isn't all that fair. You should have something in place where the current year's draftees must be drafted. Otherwise, what's the point of holding a draft? I would drop him back and then request that league put something in place to combat this.
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Guru

Sounds sketchy. New draftees really should go into the draft, I would expect some backlash.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I was fully expecting to have to place him back in the draft but the 2 people who usually prevent things like this from occuring just said "waste of a keeper pick".. so it seems like its going to fly. Glad I did it.. I would've been mad if someone else did and nothing happened.

I do plan on asking if this is alright though.. doesn't seem fair that if someone comes in with super high expectations that someone just gets them with no order.
    Last edited by 3rtpaper; August 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO

Dobber Sports Giant

Touchy here because it was you or them as you stated. Someone else would have picked him up and the crying would have begun nonetheless. Might as well take the risk of having to drop him instead of being on the losing side.

However, I feel that being the first to log onto a website to select a player the second he is made available is unethical in any format. At the very least, a waiver period should be put into place for all new players that are added to the system.

A certain bidding system could be the solution, where a manager says: '' I want Yakupov, I will forfeit my 2nd round pick''. Then another manager says he will forfeit his 1st rounder, so he gains the edge. Then another says he will drop Subban.... and so on. The player willing to give up the most (according to league values and settings) gets the newly added player. A resonable time limit should also be set by the league. JUst a tiny suggestion here, but I'm sure there are many other ways you can go at this.
    Last edited by Bass56; August 8, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Typo
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ninja

I can't stop staring at the Joker...

Yeah considering how ESPN does this (I believe they're the only provider that does so?) there really should have been a rule in place preventing something like this from happening. That being said, I think it would go a long way to showing that you're honest and have a lot of integrity if you were to discuss with the league to place a strict rule on this from here on out and dump Yakupov back.

Dobber Sports Genius

I would cause an uproar over it myself.

I believe that FA pickups should be shut down in the offseason and that prospects should only be available through drafting, determined by a certain number of games played.

Since your league seem to lack requirements like this, they should at the very least look into limiting prospect acquisition to a draft. As it stands now, though, if you can do this sort of thing to improve your club you have to do it until a change is made otherwise.
    Last edited by hockeymanG23; August 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Administrator

In my league, this sort of thing is prevented by disallowing off-season free agent acquisitions. But in your case, I can only assume that it's just a situation/loophole that the commissioner hasn't thought of, and I'd be willing to bet that he'll be rectifying that in the near future.
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't think the OP did anything wrong. It's either within the league rules or ESPN has a glitch in it's system.

If his league rules allow you to pick up new draftees on a first come first serve basis, then he is not circumventing any rules and really it should be his league rules that need to be changed in the name of fairness. If it's within the rules, congrats on getting Yak first.

If there is supposed to be a waiver period then you should have to drop him and go through the correct process, and in this case it was ESPN who screwed up since the league settings were not applied properly and you should not throw a fit or any sort of protest if you have to drop Yak. Also any moves made between ESPN coming back online and whenever the rules are sorted out properly should be reversed.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Well I posted and even said that I was against it but if someone was going to get Yakupov I would rather it be me.. no one in the league has said anything negative about it and I'm the only one who is against it surprisingly.. its only a keep 5 out of the forwards so they don't think Yakupov will be worth it at least next year but like I said I am rebuilding so I'm not to concerned about next year and I need an elite guy and he is the best I got to match that description down the road.

It paid off I guess.. even though i don't like doing it haha.
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2013 - 3rd

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well, if nobody has any problem with it then I don't see what the problem is then, I mean I think the fact that you even posted about it goes a long way towards adding to your credibility.

On the other hand, maybe they just don't care right now because it's the offseason and if Yakupov has a stud Calder-type season I wouldn't be surprised if they bitched about it then.

Good luck lol.