Thread: Devan Dubnyk

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Devan Dubnyk

I own Double D in a deep keeper league and am very happy with his progress this year.

Am I wrong to think that this guy can be the goalie of the future in Edmonton. I mean 3 years from now this team could be 'Chicago II'.

Am I dreaming here or is this guy for real (last night excluded)

Thx

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I haven't seen him play much this year, but you're right to think that given their prospects the Oilers aren't going to be basement dwellers forever. They are making very calculated moves in their rebuild and I really like the direction they are heading. And Dubnyk appears to be the guy they are leaning on moving forward. Whether or not they become "Chicago II", we'll definitely see a lot more wins from them over the next 3 years. Maybe someone else can comment more specifically on Dubnyk.
    NHL 12 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - Crosby,Getzlaf,Granlund
    LW - Pacioretty,E.Kane,Hartnell
    RW - Backes,Simmonds,SamGagne
    D - Letang,Byfuglien,Subban,Hamilton
    G - Lundqvist,Fleury,Schneider,Bryz
    IR - Kovy

MLB 9 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, W, L, SV, BB, K, ERA

C - C.Santana
    1B - Ortiz
    2B - Kinsler
    3B - Alvarez
    SS - Andrus
    OF - Trout,McCutchen,Kemp
    Util - Myers,Butler
    BN - Profar,Freese,Gyorko,Brantley
    SP - Price,Gio,Moore,Harvey,Miller,H.Bailey
    RP - Chapman,Frieri,K.Jansen
    DL - Beachy,Pineda

Dobber Sports Stud

I think he can be something special. Can Edmonton get some good D men in front of them? That's the concern.

No question to me he will be the guy next year.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I agree Chico. I mean watching the kid the last few weeks, inc. last night, he is gaining confidence.

If this team improves the back end in the next few years I think he could be a beast.

Atleast 45 starts next year

I'm an Oiler fan so I've seen Dubnyk play a bunch this year and I've been quite happy with how he plays. He has been much better than Khabby and if Khabby wasn't signed for next year Dubnyk would most likely be the #1 starter going into next season.
    This season Dubnyk's positional play has gotten better but I'm most happy with how his demanour has improved, in previous years he'd had mini-meltdowns on a bad goal he seems a lot more confident and focused this year.
    In the 1-2 year short term I can see him getting around 60-70% of the starts for the team as he continues to improve his game and build confidence. In that time period expect the Oilers win rate to improve and their GAA to go down. All of the prospects are gaining experience and remember that our #1 D-man Whitney has been gone for several months now and we miss him badly. If the Oil take a top D-man with their 1st this season that will also help a lot.
    3-5 years from now I think "Chicago II" is a great analogy the Oiler rebuild looks like Chicago in that they want top end scorers, a good d-core and a goalie who won't lose them games. I don't think Dubnyk will ever be a top-5 or 10 goalie in the league but could be a top 15-20 stats wise because of a great team in front of him.
    The biggest threat to Dubnyk's value will be who comes up when Khabby is finally done his current contract. For previous seasons it was neck and neck between Dubnyk and Delasieurs (sp) to determine who would be the guy for the Oilers, they also have Olivier Roy in their system who could develop to challenge for the job.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I agree Dubnyk has had a really good year, but I don't think he's the team's goalie of the future. Perhaps the back-up when the Oil turn the corner, but he won't be the go-to guy. They will get someone via free agency or perhaps Roy will be ready.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Star

It's difficult to read goalies accurately, because there seem to be so many factors involved. I for one have acquired Dubnyk for my Dynasty league, and I really hope he turns out to be another Jonathan Quick or Cory Crawford. Nobody saw Quick or Crawford -- both of whom had been considered solid back-up goalies -- take over the reigns the way they have on their respective clubs.

At the same time, how could Steve Mason -- a former Calder winner -- digress so badly when he has an elite skill set?

Hold on to Dubnyk if you have the roster space and hope for the best.
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm still not sold on him being a #1 goalie at all. But to be fair he's played well and before this season I didn't even see him as an NHL backup, so who knows.