Thread: Ward or Brodeur the rest of the way?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Ward or Brodeur the rest of the way?

Has the fantasy community come to trust Martin Brodeur at this point? He was available on waivers and I picked him just for tonight's game against Ottawa, but now I'm thinking I should drop Cam Ward and go with a Corey Crawford / Martin Brodeur combo the rest of the way.

Only 3 Goalie Stats: W, GAA, SV%.

Do NOT need three goalies--to keep Brodeur I have to drop one of Ward or Crawford.

Thanks as always for your opinions!!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Agghhh this is a REALLY tough call imo.
    Personally I would stick with Ward....Still in the middle of a playoff hunt and the deadline acquisition of Bryan Allen.
    If you went the way of Brodeur though I still wouldn't blame you. The only thing I'm worried about for him is Hedberg lurking in the shadows if Brodeur starts to slip. Then you throw the whole injury issue that's plagued Marty this season.

Just my $0.02
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Administrator

Brodeur has single-handedly won me a lot of money over the years. I would absolutely not drop this guy as he has been money for 15 years and the Devils have really put it together with Lemaire at the helm.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd keep all 3 G if you could. Drop your last D man or forward before one of them.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by sueperfly7 View Post
    Has the fantasy community come to trust Martin Brodeur at this point? He was available on waivers and I picked him just for tonight's game against Ottawa, but now I'm thinking I should drop Cam Ward and go with a Corey Crawford / Martin Brodeur combo the rest of the way.

Only 3 Goalie Stats: W, GAA, SV%.

Do NOT need three goalies--to keep Brodeur I have to drop one of Ward or Crawford.

Thanks as always for your opinions!!
    I really wouldn't.
    A Ward/Crawford duo will be better than a Brodeur/Crawford duo.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Brodeur has single-handedly won me a lot of money over the years. I would absolutely not drop this guy as he has been money for 15 years and the Devils have really put it together with Lemaire at the helm.
    Brodeur has always been my go-to guy, and like Eric I've done very well with him. I'd go with Brodeur hands down. His schedule is fantastic for the next while (Ott, Atl, NYI, Atl, Ott, Was, CBJ).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Brodeur has always been my go-to guy, and like Eric I've done very well with him. I'd go with Brodeur hands down. His schedule is fantastic for the next while (Ott, Atl, NYI, Atl, Ott, Was, CBJ).
    In all other years I would say Brodeur, but this year Hedberg is playing well and stealing his playing time. I don't see Brodeur as the same goalie and he's wearing down, for me its Ward and really not that close.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

thanks to everyone who chimed in!!

my league is a little odd with just the three goalie stats (and two out of the three being rate stats), plus daily transactions where my playoff opponents are juggling two or three roster spots to maximize games played for skaters. i really can't justify holding on to three goalies.

everyone seems to be in agreement that crawford is worth holding on to, so at least there's that.

with no keeper ramifications i think i'm leaning towards brodeur right now. agreed that his schedule is brilliant. agreed that the devils are playing extremely well. i hope i'm not putting too much stock into brodeur's recent play, but he's had 4 straight games since returning and given up 1, 1, 1 and 2 goals, respectively, and he's getting his 5th straight start tonight. the injury concern is definitely what has me worried. not so much the concern of losing starts to hedberg, though, since again the two rate stats aren't affected by total number of starts and if i'm getting pummelled in GAA and SV% i can always use pickups to try and save the W category.

i'm not totally decided and i have until puck drop tonight to make the call, but i'd say i'm leaning strongly towards MB. thanks again everyone for your input--the lack of agreement makes me feel better that it's a tough call and one worthy of bringing to the forum.