Page 40 of 89 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 50 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Not what I wanna hear, bomm. Stop it. We don't new Taylor Pyatt 2.0
    I wouldn't go that far yet. New team, new coach, etc....there's time, he's young.

Reality

Moving Gaustad was a no brainer. Look, the guy was a gift card, no matter the return. He was a pending UFA + Sabres unlikely to make any run deep into the playoff + what Goose would probably demand from a new contract = move him for a long-term asset now, and then when he wallows unsigned during the off season due to his term demands, pick him up if he really means that much to ya.

But he doesn't and they won't. I liked Gaustad. He was orginally told he didn't have the talent nor the skating ability to make it in the NHL, and he worked his ass off to prove Ruff wrong. That's why Ruff and the fans loved him. In fact Darcy said that if he hadn't gotten the first pick (from the Preds) he woould not have moved him, and I believe that. But once the first was offered, it was really a no brainer. Regier now has accumulated two firsts, two seconds to his draft quiver. Those picks either on their own or in combo (see: D.Roy) can parlay into a nice return. Or he can sit on them and use them to re-stock the prospect shelves with more wingers/centers. Either way...win/win.

Grade = A+

So now on to my apology: [ahem] Dear Darcy, I am sorry I thought you were an apathetic, clueless, hump of a GM. You have proved me wrong (still not sure about Ruff, but we'll talk later....).

Last year, Regier moves a fourth just for the rights to talk to Ehrhoff - clearly an un-Regier like move. Then get him when the Islanders were unable (yes, perhaps an overpay - but that's also an un-Regier like move).

This year? Regier found himself in a unique position. unlike most GMs, Regier was told there were no financial pressures to make the playoffs - where revenues are coveted for most teams in order to break even. Regier was given the light to go forth without having to simultaneously balance two objectives that could very well conflict: make moves to better the team long term/without giving up the chance of generating extra playoff revenue.

Regier straps on his brass cojones proceeds to move Zach Kassian and M.A. Gragnani for Cody Hodgson and Alexander Sulzer.

Ballsy? Yep. Risk? Absolutely. And that's just fine w/this fan. Who wants safe? We've had safe for the past decade and look where that got the team.

Regier moved from a position of strength (winger) to shore up a position of need (center). Classic move. And one that now provides the team with some much needed versitilty at a very high demand position.

Don't misunderstand, I loved Kassian's potential, but there were rumblings in Rochester re his attitude and effort. Yes he fought. But more often he would back off his checks. Not the way to demonstrate to your boss that you desire a permanent spot.

At the start of all the dealine chatter, centers I was looking at were Johansen (CBJ), Connolly (TBL), Schenn (Flyers) and Hodgson (Canucks). Those were exactly the types (ie age, skillset, upside) I wanted to see Regier go after, and he did not disappoint. Think I might submit my resume...

Gragnani was (for whatever reason) always in Ruff's doghouse so moving him, practically speaking, was really no big whoop. He wasn't going anywhwere on this team. Now the team has a spot for McNabb next year should he earn it. In the meantime Sulzer is an older player capable of providing a vet presence while keeping McNabb's spot warm.

The grit lost by moving Gaustad out is well worth the potential skillset gained by acquiring Hodgson. The moves today in combo with last summer's moves demonstrate to me that Regier is serious about moving this team in a different direction. Maybe he will fail, maybe not (my guess is not) but he's making smart, calculated moves to better this team.

Ruff is another story for another time.

Fantasy
    The Hodgson move really bumps Ennis' value by providing more versatility for this crafty/shifty forward position-wise. More options, if you will.

Roy: This will push Roy knowing he now has a high end prospect breathing down his neck. He should have no excuses from this point forward.

Roy and Staff will still probably get moved. Points aside, they just don't have the mindset to lead a team deep into the playoffs. Leadership abilities, if you will.

Can't say it enough...get Mcnabb on your farm now. the door is opening for a permanent spot. Myers and McNabb are very well liked by tis admin.

Hodgson gets a huge boost. Every opportunity to earn all the ice time he can handle. long term value better than short term, obviously. He is the true center Buff has been looking for.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I wouldn't go that far yet. New team, new coach, etc....there's time, he's young.

Reality

Moving Gaustad was a no brainer. Look, the guy was a gift card, no matter the return. He was a pending UFA + Sabres unlikely to make any run deep into the playoff + what Goose would probably demand from a new contract = move him for a long-term asset now, and then when he wallows unsigned during the off season due to his term demands, pick him up if he really means that much to ya.

But he doesn't and they won't. I liked Gaustad. He was orginally told he didn't have the talent nor the skating ability to make it in the NHL, and he worked his ass off to prove Ruff wrong. That's why Ruff and the fans loved him. In fact Darcy said that if he hadn't gotten the first pick (from the Preds) he woould not have moved him, and I believe that. But once the first was offered, it was really a no brainer. Regier now has accumulated two firsts, two seconds to his draft quiver. Those picks either on their own or in combo (see: D.Roy) can parlay into a nice return. Or he can sit on them and use them to re-stock the prospect shelves with more wingers/centers. Either way...win/win.

Grade = A+

So now on to my apology: [ahem] Dear Darcy, I am sorry I thought you were an apathetic, clueless, hump of a GM. You have proved me wrong (still not sure about Ruff, but we'll talk later....).

Last year, Regier moves a fourth just for the rights to talk to Ehrhoff - clearly an un-Regier like move. Then get him when the Islanders were unable (yes, perhaps an overpay - but that's also an un-Regier like move).

This year? Regier found himself in a unique position. unlike most GMs, Regier was told there were no financial pressures to make the playoffs - where revenues are coveted for most teams in order to break even. Regier was given the light to go forth without having to simultaneously balance two objectives that could very well conflict: make moves to better the team long term/without giving up the chance of generating extra playoff revenue.

Regier straps on his brass cojones proceeds to move Zach Kassian and M.A. Gragnani for Cody Hodgson and Alexander Sulzer.

Ballsy? Yep. Risk? Absolutely. And that's just fine w/this fan. Who wants safe? We've had safe for the past decade and look where that got the team.

Regier moved from a position of strength (winger) to shore up a position of need (center). Classic move. And one that now provides the team with some much needed versitilty at a very high demand position.

Don't misunderstand, I loved Kassian's potential, but there were rumblings in Rochester re his attitude and effort. Yes he fought. But more often he would back off his checks. Not the way to demonstrate to your boss that you desire a permanent spot.

At the start of all the dealine chatter, centers I was looking at were Johansen (CBJ), Connolly (TBL), Schenn (Flyers) and Hodgson (Canucks). Those were exactly the types (ie age, skillset, upside) I wanted to see Regier go after, and he did not disappoint. Think I might submit my resume...

Gragnani was (for whatever reason) always in Ruff's doghouse so moving him, practically speaking, was really no big whoop. He wasn't going anywhwere on this team. Now the team has a spot for McNabb next year should he earn it. In the meantime Sulzer is an older player capable of providing a vet presence while keeping McNabb's spot warm.

The grit lost by moving Gaustad out is well worth the potential skillset gained by acquiring Hodgson. The moves today in combo with last summer's moves demonstrate to me that Regier is serious about moving this team in a different direction. Maybe he will fail, maybe not (my guess is not) but he's making smart, calculated moves to better this team.

Ruff is another story for another time.

Fantasy
    The Hodgson move really bumps Ennis' value by providing more versatility for this crafty/shifty forward position-wise. More options, if you will.

Roy: This will push Roy knowing he now has a high end prospect breathing down his neck. He should have no excuses from this point forward.

Roy and Staff will still probably get moved. Points aside, they just don't have the mindset to lead a team deep into the playoffs. Leadership abilities, if you will.

Can't say it enough...get Mcnabb on your farm now. the door is opening for a permanent spot. Myers and McNabb are very well liked by tis admin.

Hodgson gets a huge boost. Every opportunity to earn all the ice time he can handle. long term value better than short term, obviously. He is the true center Buff has been looking for.
    Great breakdown, Bomm. Just fantastic information here.

Cheers.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Thanks, mounD, appreciate the comments.

Dobber's apparent anti-Sabre bias is blinding his objectivity. Let's look at some of his profoundly intellectual presumptions, shall we?

How on earth do you think a young player can go to a circus team like Buffalo and GAIN from this?

Hmmmmm...circus team now there's a term that immediately screams "objective and insightful conclusion forthcoming".

Inane comment aside, allow me to explain. Hodgson will, w/out a doubt, be given every opportunity to succeed and garner as much ice time as he can handle. Short term, he will have at least the same amount of ice time as he did buried under Sedin and Kesler.

Put another way, who would you rather be behind insofar as depth chart and opportunity to play: Sedin/Kesler or Roy/???. Ennis doesn't demand consideration because although he is today playing at center, he is not necessarily a permanent fixture there. He could easily be moved back to wing.

I usually stop reading at this point, when I spy tripe such as this (not worth the effort), but this being The Exalted One, I continued....

A team which gives Ennis 10 minutes one game, 17 the next..

First, "that gives" instead of "which gives"...don't want sentium raining down hell fire on ya. Thank me later.

Second, Ennis has one game this season <10 mins (injured that game), and two games <13 mins (including the aforementioned injured game).

In fact his last seven games saw him with 16, 16, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19. You being the stat man that you are know that you throw out the high and low (12, 19) and wind up with 16, 16, 14, 17. Pretty consistent, taking into account PP or PK within each game.

Point being, while I get the point you were attempting to convey, you lose merit instantaneously with overstatements such as that.

...or Gerbe/Adam/insert name here?

Point?

You really think Hodgson will waltz in and be an 18-minute player game in and game out?

Don't think anyone has said that, but he will be given every opportunity to earn those type of mins. Ruff ideally, does like to roll four lines (at least three) so 18 for any player might be a stretch. but if Hodgson is as good defensively with the puck as purported, Ruff will provide him with plenty of opportunity to produce.

Don't get too caught up in the number of mins per se, and instead the quality of mins.

The organization became a joke when ownership took over and spent money just for the sake of spending money, with no plan in mind.

I am certainly no apologist, but it's been one year. One. So as far as the plan is concerned I am willing to give Regier the benefit of the doubt (again, Ruff is another story).

Did he overpay for Ehrhoff and Leino? Yep. Teams overpay at deadlines, it happens (see: Gaustad for 1st rounder). Ehrhoff/Myers/Regehr/McNabb sounds real f-in sweet to me. Leino....meh, can't win them all - desperation (for a center) clouds judgment sometimes (see: 4am bar closing/that girl is so hot). But in no way do you compare Leino to Hodgson, as far as skill set.

[EDIT] Yzerman making moves to acquire two first and two seconds = genius. Regier doing the same = no plan. Gotcha!

Hodgson has succeeded in his limited role this year for the Canucks. No reason yet to believe it won't continue and expand on his new team.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; February 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

What a game by Miller! wow

Quote Originally Posted by Ballsakic View Post
    What a game by Miller! wow
    What a win, indeed - stopped all of 43 shots! Did not watch the game, but caught highlights and updates.

Lost toughness (w/Kassian being traded), my ass....

Check out Myers, strong like bull. Completely manhandles Brookbank. Keep in mind Myers is coming off a broken right-wrist so he's not to willing to go there, but he completely overpowers Brookbank. As Myers ages and inevitably becomes more jaded he will be a force.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/110417

Think trading Kass was wrong? Tropp has more fights in less games. Not to shabby:
    http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/110411

Speaking of jaded vets - Regehr (a bull in his own right) performs a tango w/Perry
    http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/110416

And McNabb and Foligno weren't even playin!

Toughness....we'll be fine thanks.

btw.....Hodgson: 4 shots; 5 of 8 face offs won. Thank you very much, Vancouver.
    @SmittysRant

You really think Hodgson will waltz in and be an 18-minute player game in and game out? -DD (our illustrious leader)

Hodgson: TOI-18:11; PP-2:52, no shots, +1, and 8 of 16 on FOs

Now granted, Ruff is getting acclimated to his new toy - putting him in diff situations, seeing how he plays/reacts. Following the ANA game, Ruff indicated he had given Hodgson some PK time, didn't quite like his play ("not familiar w/our strategy", to paraphrase), but wants to ultimately use him there to get him additional time.

A feeling out process of sorts, as it were.

And lest we forget...Miller with another shutout! 39 saves, this time. Not too shabby, my friends.
    @SmittysRant

Default Sabres @ Jets of Winnipeg - 3.05.2012

Sabres sit two points back of the Jets whose hold on the eighth spot overall is tenuous at best - considering Caps, Leafs, Lightning are also within towel snapping distance.

Not much time to summarize today (typical Monday shit storm) so I will leave it to a few quick notes....

• Start Ennis. Kid is on a roll here, especially since Hodgson came onto the scene (eight pts in last nine)
    • Speaking of Hodgson: inches away from scoring so it's really only a matter of time before the points start coming
    • Hodgson's solid defensive play continues to earn him brownie points in the house of Ruff. As long as that continues and the line of Staff and Ennis as a whole is producing there is no reason for him to lose quality ice time. So his chances of productivity will remain high.
    • Miller in net tonight. Why not? Hiller can go 20+ connsecutive games, so can Miller. Ain't no thang! 3-0-0 with a 1.00 GAA and .974 save % (this past week)
    • Ironically secondary scoring is up, while the first line continues to slump miserably. Vanek's fall from grace has not gone unnoticed by anyone.
    • Regehr back tonight. Marcus Foligno called up just in case, but probably will not dress.

EDIT: If you haven't looked at my thread elsewhere on this site, check this out it's pretty cool...
    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; March 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Default 'Canes @ Sabres - 3.07.2012

Man is it 5pm already??? Day just f-ing flew by at work.

Miller gets his 20th start - 11-3-3 in his last 18 with a 1.78 goals against average and a .942 save percentage.

Stay away from the top line crew of Pommer/Roy/Vanek...I told you guys not to jump on that Roy bandwagon to fast. However, Ruff may juggle some lines to get the going (ya think?)

Enroth has got to play one game in here somewhere, w/five games in the next eight days. Right??

Hodgson owners relax, he will settle into his own. Remember....he hasn't even gotten to practice with the team since joining them so he's still feeling his way (and doing quite nicely).

ta-ta for now...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Icon

Man is it 5pm already??? Day just f-ing flew by at work.

Miller gets his 20th start - 11-3-3 in his last 18 with a 1.78 goals against average and a .942 save percentage.

Stay away from the top line crew of Pommer/Roy/Vanek...I told you guys not to jump on that Roy bandwagon to fast. However, Ruff may juggle some lines to get the going (ya think?)

Enroth has got to play one game in here somewhere, w/five games in the next eight days. Right??

Hodgson owners relax, he will settle into his own. Remember....he hasn't even gotten to practice with the team since joining them so he's still feeling his way (and doing quite nicely).

ta-ta for now...

Thanks Bomm. I have to make a lineup decision between Roy and a few other players (Fleischmann, Perron) and posted separately on this ( http://www.dobberhockey.com/forums/s...618#post918618), so this comment intrigues me.

Seems to me the Roy/Vanek/Pommer line was starting to come alive a bit, you think that's not the case? They looked like crap that last game of the road trip, but I chalked that up to fatigue after a long trip.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Thanks Bomm. I have to make a lineup decision between Roy and a few other players (Fleischmann, Perron) and posted separately on this ( http://www.dobberhockey.com/forums/s...618#post918618), so this comment intrigues me.

Seems to me the Roy/Vanek/Pommer line was starting to come alive a bit, you think that's not the case? They looked like crap that last game of the road trip, but I chalked that up to fatigue after a long trip.
    Sorry Ross, didn't mean to cut that post so short but I was scrambling to get the hell outta work before they decided to keep me there all night.

I sometimes allow my real-world critiques of Sabres player melt into my fantasy perspective. I suppose Roy isn't too bad an option, but keep in mind he's had but one goal in prior seven and a total of two points during that span.

Vanek - also has one goal and two pts in that same span, in addition to four pts total in last eleven

Pommer is even worse - zero for last six.

Not the most reliable line right now (or ever for that matter) -13 combine over last 6 games.

As of this morning's skate Ruff didn't change up the lines, but he is considering. May be a in-game thing...
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; March 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry Ross, didn't mean to cut that post so short but I was scrambling to get the hell outta work before they decided to keep me there all night.

I sometimes allow my real-world critiques of Sabres player melt into my fantasy perspective. I suppose Roy isn't too bad an option, but keep in mind he's had but one goal in prior seven and a total of two points during that span.

Vanek - also has one goal and two pts in that same span, in addition to four pts total in last eleven

Pommer is even worse - zero for last six.

Not the most reliable line right now (or ever for that matter) -13 combine over last 6 games.

As of this morning's skate Ruff didn't change up the lines, but he is considering. May be a in-game thing...

Thanks bud. It's official, unless Roy goes on a tear tonight, it's Desharnais in his place for this coming week.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Default Sabres @ Bruins - 3.08.2012

• Ruff is playing it close to the vest w/ his goalie tonight. My guees is Miller
    • Two schools of thought though....(1)Miller needs a rest having started 21 straight might as well be this one, or (2) Play him or risk looking like you're shielding him from the big nasty Bruins.
    • Remember last time the Sabres played in Boston? Miller got run steamrolled by Mr. Lucic. Since then Bruins played (and lost) in Buff twice.
    • In addition to which the Sabres are fighting for a playoff spot. So if you're looking for PIMS, this game suits you.
    • Ross, my apologies. Apparently all I have to do to spark offensive production from a player is to admonish them here in this thread.
    • Roy is good to go, having scored and rang one off the post last night. In fact that whole line produced - I know Vanek had a ton of shots too. Given last night's results I would now ride this line for the next four games then back off.
    • Has Boston really not won two in a row since Jan?
    • Ehrrhoff and Myers looking great. Sekera has the flu. McCormick practiced this morning.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

• Ruff is playing it close to the vest w/ his goalie tonight. My guees is Miller
    • Two schools of thought though....(1)Miller needs a rest having started 21 straight might as well be this one, or (2) Play him or risk looking like you're shielding him from the big nasty Bruins.
    • Remember last time the Sabres played in Boston? Miller got run steamrolled by Mr. Lucic. Since then Bruins played (and lost) in Buff twice.
    • In addition to which the Sabres are fighting for a playoff spot. So if you're looking for PIMS, this game suits you.
    • Ross, my apologies. Apparently all I have to do to spark offensive production from a player is to admonish them here in this thread.
    • Roy is good to go, having scored and rang one off the post last night. In fact that whole line produced - I know Vanek had a ton of shots too. Given last night's results I would now ride this line for the next four games then back off.
    • Has Boston really not won two in a row since Jan?
    • Ehrrhoff and Myers looking great. Sekera has the flu. McCormick practiced this morning.

Roy had his 2 points taken away last night. darn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballsakic View Post
    Roy had his 2 points taken away last night. darn.
    Oh wow...did not know that, thanks for the update Ballsakic.

For what it's worth - rumblings are Enroth will start. But note...just speculation at this point.

Miller's started 21 (?) straight and Sabres have four games in the next six nights soooooooo.......
    @SmittysRant

few notes thru the second period

• Seguin blew by Myers, Enroth great save. Stoned Seguin.
    • Sabres clearly missing Gaustad's faceoff prowess
    • Surprised Bruins are not playing a more rough-n-tumble style. They always seem to fare better versus the Sabres when they play that way, buut what do I know...
    • Sabres looking sloppy last five-six mins of the second, otherwise a sound effort.
    • Seguin is a +35? Jeebus
    • Sabres go into puck chasing/watching mode and stop moving their feet, and it always screws them. Luckily Enroth solid effort.
    • well there it is...sloppy turnover and thornton slapper is deflected by Campbell. Total bullshit sloppy play. Lazy pass to Hodgson, cross ice, deflects off his skate right onto Thornton's tape.
    • goal is under review, possible high stick deflection. Goal stands
    • Kerfuffle ensues, but alas no penalties - i don't think Buffalo wants to go that route
    • Faceoffs: BOS-28/BUF-12; Shots BOS-22/BUF-14
    @SmittysRant