Page 33 of 89 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 83 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Is Ennis playing tonight? I'm getting conflicting reports on this one...
    Oops sorry, mind fart on my part and evidently on that guy's part too lol.

He's not playing on Tuesday.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Awesome...I just sent an email to two local sports radio hosts (and copied two others) who continually kiss Ruff's ass year-in and year-out. Now I really don't have an issue if you are pro-Ruff. My issue is the why you are pro-Ruff, and further, my issue with these two hosts is their lame excuses (eg, injuries, more trades are needed....blah-blah-blah).

My email (aptly entitled: Sycophants Say What?) was composed while at work so it wasn't quite as thorough as I would have liked. I borrowed some my my previous posts here, but overall I thought I made some very valid points. So below is my exchange

Me:
    First, let me say that I have long been an advocate and defender of Ruff. Always have I, year-in/year-out, given him the benefit of the doubt. No more.

Furthermore, I can't stand the incessant butt smooching of Ruff displayed by Jeremy and Bulldog. I sometimes believe you boys take a devil's advocate position, repeat ad nauseum, and ultimately wind up believing your once hypothetical positions. The flip side is you both are condescendingly arrogant - infallible legends in your own minds, as it were.

The injury-as-a-defense argument fails on its face. Philly has had more injuries than the Sabres at times throughout the season, yet has continued to ice a very competitive team - 2nd overall, w/out their star player. Penguins have had a rash of injuries to rival that of the Sabres, including long term injuries to their stars, yet where are they in the standings? (hint: 4th overall). Why the continual success? Good coaching.

So let's cease the Well, when they get their star players back everything will be fine speech...shall we? After all, it's not as if the Sabres were crushing opponents prior to the onslaught of injuries.

Now onto the players....

Do certain players need to be traded. Oh you betcha. Roy and Stafford top my list of lazy underachievers. But that doesn't somehow preclude the notion that Ruff must go. The two propositions are not mutually exclusive so stop acting as if they are.
    Secondly, the team as a whole plays inconsistent at best, utterly apathetic at worst. Generally, such play is evidence of a systemic problem (i.e. the coaches system, or the GM) - rather than merely a one or two player problem easily resolved through a trade.

Besides, trading Roy and/or Stafford now would be equivalent to selling low - not a wise GM move. Instead, Regier should wait until either player hits a point spurt and then sell high. But then the likes of you two would bash him for moving two players who have "turned it around" - despite the historical evidence to the contrary.

Too many kids on the team? Hmmmm...let's ask Florida how they've succeeded to third overall. I bet their answer would be Kevin Dineen. What's the common denominator between Philly, Pittsburgh and Florida? Great coaching. Granted Florida/Dineen is still a tad too early to judge, but considering the players with whom Dineen is succeeding, I'd say the argument sways to his favor.

Look I get the argument that Regeir/Ruff are inextricably linked, and, therefore, you can't fire one w/ out the other following. But this is not Regeir's doing (not entirely). He can't trade for a forward to save his life, but the d-men he's acquired are very good. Not to mention he drafts like a maniac - Garrett Memorial anyone??? Tyler Myers, Luke Adam, Brayden McNabb, Zach Kassian all would be great players, and all will suffer the ubiquitous locker room disease known as Lazyassus Apatheticae(a/k/a Ruff-itis).

Proponents of Ruff need to stop viewing the second half of the previous 2009-2010 season as the rule, and view it as the exception that it truly is. Ruff has had his moments and should be praised for them, but 1997 is a long damn time ago. Let's keep things in perspective. He is a good coach able to ice a relatively competitive team. No more no less.

He is also a coach who's lost his team.

First reply:

Weird that you're on board until now...and others that are still on board (not jumping yet) are "incessant butt smoochers". Glad you finally pulled your lips off that same ass.

I never play devils advocate. I am not condescending.

But I certainly deal with people of YOUR attitude, acting like I'm taking a piss in your cornflakes for disagreeing with you. I get plenty of these emails on a daily basis. That can harden you a bit.

I think Lindy Ruff is a good coach. You don't have to. End of story.

His last statement is true on its face; I don't have to agree. Problem is I am not a sports radio host....he is. And as one I would lay sufficient premises to justify my conclusion, rather than merely repeating ad nauseum "I think Ruff is a good coach", and hoping people blindly believe you.

Besides, I never said he wasn't a good coach. Problem is I desire a great coach.
    @SmittysRant

Default Sabres @ Senators - 12.20.2011

• Vanek will play
    • Myers is finally doing some drills, w/an actual stick in his hand
    • Boyes and Kaleta may play Thurs
    • Great to see Nick and Marcus Foligno face off against each other. Papa Mike will be watching live (the ANA gig didn't go to well).

Tonight's lines:

Vanek-Roy-Pominville
    Adam-Szczechura-Stafford
    Foligno-Gaustad-Kassian
    Whitmore-Ellis-McCormick

Miller in net (at least temporarily)
    Gragnani is a scratch
    @SmittysRant

Default Sabres @ Maple Leafs - 12.22.2011

Roy is questionable tonight. Apparently, he's suffering from the effects of PTSD he acquired from the shellacking he took from Spezza on Tues night.

JK (kinda...maybe)

Anywhoo....

Not to rant about games past, but the Sabres need more than 14 SOG from their forwards if they hope to win a game. Not to mention allowing 39 shots on Miller...on the road...will not win you too many games either. They play too damn soft and give way to much ice to their opponents. Weber?!? Don't even get me started.

So onto tonight's game versus the Maple Leafs:

• Vanek is in
    • Miller is in net - overall I liked his performance versus the Senators. His D is not helping him at all.
    • Boyes is still out
    • Pommer is the captain and he really needs to step up and play the part right now. A lot of young players + a losing skid = His team needs him to take control and lead the way. Can he?
    • It's a PIM kinda night
    • Injury Updates - Myers skating but limited contact. Gerbe (concussion) skating by himself, while Tropp (also concussion) is far off yet; Ennis is w/ the team but not skating.
    • speculation that Grags will be used as a forward

Lines at practice today:
    Vanek-Roy-Pominville
    Whitmore-Szczechura-Stafford
    Adam-Gaustad-Kaleta (yes...he's back)
    McCormick-Ellis-Kassian
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Hey Bomm! Scale of 1-10 how confident are you in a win tonight, with one being Ryan Millers current confidence level and 10 being a Terry Pegula level of irrational confidence?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Hey Bomm! Scale of 1-10 how confident are you in a win tonight, with one being Ryan Millers current confidence level and 10 being a Terry Pegula level of irrational confidence?
    LMAO...I like your parameter definitions.

Gotta say, at the risk of TK's wrath, I'm feelin' sassy tonight so I'm going w/a 8.0 - Sabres get the win.

Leafs have lost 6 of last 8 (correct?!?), Sabres beat them last time, and I've been smokin Big Terry's Twisted Green.

Leafs have lost last two at home, and last one to Sabres so it will be ugly in terms of PIMs. Leafs can't lose another at home, and Sabres just need to win period.

I think Buff can squeak one out here.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Leafs are gonna win. They have so many good players and a good coach and goalie and staff and GM and fans and corporation and owners and Kessel and Kadri and Bozak and Kessel and no other team compares to the Leafs who are good.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Leafs are gonna win. They have so many good players and a good coach and goalie and staff and GM and fans and corporation and owners and Kessel and Kadri and Bozak and Kessel and no other team compares to the Leafs who are good.
    lol...nice.

I will say, should the Sabres win, it will be Miller who steals it. The Rooks + lack of production from Stafford and Roy = not many scoring opportunities.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    lol...nice.

I will say, should the Sabres win, it will be Miller who steals it. The Rooks + lack of production from Stafford and Roy = not many scoring opportunities.
    We need a win tonight haha. Give it to us?

But seriously, I like our lineup tonight:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
    Kadri-Connolly-Macarthur
    Kulemin-Grabovski-Frattin
    Boyce-Steckel-Crabb

That's 3 solid lines of scoring threats, and a 4th that can hit and is mobile.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    We need a win tonight haha. Give it to us?

But seriously, I like our lineup tonight:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
    Kadri-Connolly-Macarthur
    Kulemin-Grabovski-Frattin
    Boyce-Steckel-Crabb

That's 3 solid lines of scoring threats, and a 4th that can hit and is mobile.
    At this point I'm just hoping for a good effort/game. baby steps w/this team...
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    LMAO...I like your parameter definitions.

Gotta say, at the risk of TK's wrath, I'm feelin' sassy tonight so I'm going w/a 8.0 - Sabres get the win.

Leafs have lost 6 of last 8 (correct?!?), Sabres beat them last time, and I've been smokin Big Terry's Twisted Green.

Leafs have lost last two at home, and last one to Sabres so it will be ugly in terms of PIMs. Leafs can't lose another at home, and Sabres just need to win period.

I think Buff can squeak one out here.
    WOW! An 8.0! Not quite let's sign Ville Leino for six years $27 million despite the fact that he is still fairly unproven, and we have a glut of wingers so we will have to convert him to center despite the fact he hasn't played that position before in the NHL type irrational confidence. It's more like let's go out and sign the biggest free agent defensemanand trade for other defensemen so that our leading scorer from last year's playoffs that we still haven't re-signed no longer has a roster spot and will have to start the year in the minors if he even decides to re-sign type irrational confidence.

Oh man, I love Terry Pegula and the curse his money is going to bring on Buffalo. Remember the pre-lockout Rangers? That's what his tenure as owner is gonna be like. Just constant overpayments. Seriously Bomm, you need to get yourself a Terry Pegula voodoo doll so every time something goes wrong you can scream, "TERRY!" and fling it at the wall.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    WOW! An 8.0! Not quite let's sign Ville Leino for six years $27 million despite the fact that he is still fairly unproven, and we have a glut of wingers so we will have to convert him to center despite the fact he hasn't played that position before in the NHL type irrational confidence. It's more like let's go out and sign the biggest free agent defensemanand trade for other defensemen so that our leading scorer from last year's playoffs that we still haven't re-signed no longer has a roster spot and will have to start the year in the minors if he even decides to re-sign type irrational confidence.

Oh man, I love Terry Pegula and the curse his money is going to bring on Buffalo. Remember the pre-lockout Rangers? That's what his tenure as owner is gonna be like. Just constant overpayments. Seriously Bomm, you need to get yourself a Terry Pegula voodoo doll so every time something goes wrong you can scream, "TERRY!" and fling it at the wall.
    lol...I really just said 8.0 cuz I tire of being fatalistic when it comes to this team. As far as Pegula and him throwing money hither and yon....I shared your view point early on, during all his pre-season press conferences and butt smooching parades (especially the NYR analogy) so I hear what you're saying.

I've always hoped Ted Black would keep Pegula in check. Personally, I don't think you win a cup w/ Ruff as your head coach. I think he's gone w/ in the next 365 days.

We shall see.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Regher stumbled on the Kessel goal, and that cost the team. Pominville and Roy were fantastic for you guys, Ehrhoff not so much.

Default Sabres @ Devils - 12.28.2011

The Sabres fly into Snookie-ville, having come off an ab/fab win versus the Caps. A game in which ten Sabres earned a point against Ovie, Inc.; the power play produced; fore check and puck circulation were prevalent; first passes outta the zone were quick and crisp...tape-to-tape, as it were; women and children ceased weeping while virgins were sacrificed pre-game to the Hockey Gods (ran out of virgins).

A perfect game, with a perfect outcome.

Trouble is I have seen this movie before. The Sabres play a game such as they did Monday night, Stafford earns a point and Gods rejoice, the team teases its fan base into thinking they have finally turned it around, people everywhere gush about Ruff and how awesome he is, and then pffffffffffffft....like a fart in the wind, it's no more.

Consistency - i.e., the ability to take the merits of the Caps game and make it the rule rather than the exception that it probably is....or will be. Not playing in such a manner one, two, three or even four games sequentially, but rather over the course of 82++.

Make that effort, drive, and decisiveness the RULE!!!

That road must begin tonight - 19 games played w/out a back-to-back win. The Sabres have proven they are capable of playing a solid 60, while emerging as victors. Now they need to carry that right on over to their game tonight versus the Devils. No more excuses.

• Sabres should continue to ride Miller - not confirmed- but he's been playing so much better I think sitting him when he's finally hitting his stride would be a mistake.
    • Miller tonight, Enroth Friday vs Caps rematch and then Miller vs Sens. That's my guess.
    • Mad props to my main D-Man McNasty McNabb on scoring his first NHL goal versus the Caps.
    • Gerbe is practicing w/out contact. Barring set backs, approx one week 'till his return.
    • Myers is practicing, skating, stick handling but still can't put much mojo on his shots. Look for him to return after the first of the year. First or second week - my gut.
    • Anyone catch that Regehr plastering of Ovie? Awesome.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5So5h6ghkA

That's all I have for now. I will update as the day progresses.
    @SmittysRant

Default UPDATE: Sabres @ Devils - 12.28.2011

Because I rambled so much in my post from earlier today, I thought i would bump this once since I have game relevant info (didn't want it to get lost amid my nonsensical blathering...[redundancy noted]).

Ok....

Miller is indeed starting, opposite Brodeur.

Lines at Practice:

Vanek-Hecht-Pominville
    Stafford-Roy-Boyes
    McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta
    Ellis-Adam-Kassian
    @SmittysRant