Page 29 of 89 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 39 79 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

So, where to begin....

I suppose w/the issue of consistency, yet again. As I have stated w/much frequency, the Sabres need conistency of play/effort both between and w/in games. Is it possible we're finally seeing the phenomenon take hold??

Last Saturday's game versus the Caps was a very fine example of consistency w/in a game. Defensively, offensively, technically sound it was all present and accounted for.

Then we jump to last night, at home versus the Islanders and same thing....but for a couple of lapses that led to goals.....but overall a fundamentally sound game. I have absolutely loved what I have seen these prior two games, and enjoyed watching them as a fan. Great forecheck, separating bodies from the puck, overall toughness, great scoring opportunities (kudos to Montoya on a fine game), and more are chipping-in in the faceoff circle....which leads to more opportunities due to less defensive play.

BUT....we lost last night. Credit Montoya (again) for a great game, but the Sabres need to win those games. No excuses. They worked so hard keeping the puck in Islander territory, yet failed to bury the very chances they worked so hard to create.

But let's focus on the positive for a change, shall we? Two consecutive games in which the team as a whole (a very important point not to be lost) played a fundamentally sound game. A product of all the call-ups doing their best to demonstrate their NHL worthy-ness to the powers-that-be? Perhaps.

In fact, the cynic in me says absolutely.

Brayden McNabb is a beast of a d-man, capable and more than willing to deliver crushing, open-ice checks all while playing a fundamentally sound game. I alluded to this cat during the preseason, but, please, allow me to restate my position: GET HIM ON YOUR TEAM NOW!! [ahem] Seriously, if you are in a multi-cat dynasty league and/or a league that carries a farm get him now. He is/will be a franchise d-man for the Sabres; capable of delivering hits, blocked shots, good +/-, PIM (ala Regehr) and a dash of offense for a lucky fantasy GM. He and Myers will be the beasts on the back end for this team. Mark it.

Zach "WWE" Kassian, you had me at "wanna fight?". This man does not mess around. Gerbe, on a relatively clean hit, was leveled and sent almost entirely over the boards. What does Pappa Kass do? Grabs the guy immediately next to him and invites him out to center ice to dance - as if to say "Sorry pal, my guy got hurt, now it's your turn. Nuthin' personal." Didn't even hesitate. Awesome display of sticking up for your boys. The fight itself was peculiar. Oh Kassian launched a flury of lefts, rapid fire-like, at the head of Martin....just unsure as to how many actually landed. Hence, my WWE moniker (for all you wrestling fans out there.....it's fake)

Have a look-see: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp18590

Corey Tropp is another player of whom I have spoken. Another future multi-cat star in the making to add to the list of the above. Great power forward type, w/size and sandpaper.

I really want Kassian and McNabb to stick, but, alas, probably won't happen this year w/out moving some contracts out. Soon. Very soon, I suspect. So get them on your farm until you hear:

Bobby Ryan, I'd like you to meet your new line mates Luke and Zach.

....ahhhhhhh, to dream.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Sage

That McNabb hit on Frans Neilsen was a thing of beauty!!! No risk or anything illegal and nine crunching. Great timing. Love to see an open ice hit like that!
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    That McNabb hit on Frans Neilsen was a thing of beauty!!! No risk or anything illegal and nine crunching. Great timing. Love to see an open ice hit like that!
    Agreed. That's what I love about it is they're devastatingly beautiful. He waits for the opportunity to present itself, w/out sacrificing position, and then....whamo!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

Miller feeling better on ice, discounts trade talk off it in wake of rumors

November 30, 2011 - 2:10 PM | 0 comments
    Ryan Miller felt good Wednesday after his first full workout with the Sabres in nearly three weeks and coach Lindy Ruff wouldn't automatically rule him out of this weekend's games. For his part, Miller wasn't sure about this weekend -- but he was more than definitive when asked his longterm future with the team in the wake of recent rumors.
    A paragraph deep in a long Edmonton Journal piece by Hall of Fame writer Jim Matheson on Sunday said Miller "wouldn't mind" a trade, and it's known the Sabres and Anaheim Ducks are talking about multiple scenarios. The Ducks had three scouts on hand Tuesday night, including GM Bob Murray, and it's believed Miller's name has come up.
    "I think it's funny when you hear things like 'wouldn't mind,' " Miller said today. "That implies somebody's asked me and I've never made a comment about my status with the team. My comment about my status with the team now is I'm proud to be a Sabre, I'm excited for what we can accomplish moving forward and I want to be a part of it. There's no reason for me to want to leave the situation. We have great new ownership who's excited to put a winner on the ice and I want to be a part of it. For me to want to change that situation and get out, I think the grass doesn't get much greener than it is here."
    Miller, who has two years left after this season on a deal that pays $6.25 million annually, has a limited no-trade clause in his contract where he can submit a list of eight teams he would not accept a trade to.
    "I've never in my time here talked to Lindy, Darcy or ownership about a trade and they've never come to me asking for any options," Miller said. "I can understand why there's speculation. I went through a tough stretch of hockey and didn't have a chance to dig myself out yet because of the injury. I know I need to be better and I'm working on that. For me to say I don't want to be here just because of that? I have a long history here. I feel like I've grown up here and this is where I want to win.
    "... The fans love hockey. I've worked hard as a player and I've worked hard to be part of the community. I feel part of things here. Why would I want to leave that?"
    As for the daily walking wounded report, Jordan Leopold and Patrick Kaleta were not on the ice at practice. Leopold is out for this weekend but could return next week. Kaleta and Tyler Ennis could both play Friday against Detroit. Paul Szczechura was returned to Rochester, likely in an effort to save salary cap space with no game again until Friday in case he's still needed.
    Click below to hear Miller's interview, which also includes his thoughts on often being apart from his wife, California-based actress Noureen DeWulf.

Ryan Miller

Thanks, Ballsakic.

The line from that article that I am particularly enamored w/ is The Ducks had three scouts on hand Tuesday night [Islanders game], including GM Bob Murray...

Give 'em one of Gragnani/Sekera ++.....just do it!!!
    @SmittysRant

I love grillin' on a cold fall night very cathartic
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

Ducks fire Carlyle, hire Boudreau; trade talks over?

December 1, 2011 - 9:01 AM | 0 comments
    I stayed up last night to watch the Ducks snap their seven-game losing streak with a 4-1 win over the going-nowhere Canadiens and turned the TV off at the final buzzer since NHL Center Ice doesn't show teams' local postgame shows. Too bad on this night.
    Woke up this morning to find out the Ducks had fired coach Randy Carlyle, who led them to the Stanley Cup in 2007, and hired Bruce Boudreau just three days after he was fired in Washington.
    You have to wonder how this changes the Ducks' approach going forward. As I wrote this morning, Ryan Miller wants to stay in Buffalo but the Ducks are known to be all over the trade market right now while dangling star winger Bobby Ryan. GM Bob Murray led a trio of Anaheim reps in the First Niagara Center press box Tuesday night.
    Carlyle's contract ran through 2014 and the theory was that Murray was going to keep him and try to shake up the team with trades Showing up with two scouts for a late November game in Buffalo was a clear indication of that. But I agree with the likes of Hall of Fame writer Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times who tweeted this early this morning: Ownership must have ordered Murray to change course and fire the coach or he was going to be gone, too.
    It will be interesting to see how this effects the Ducks moving forward. Do they hold off on any trades now that they have a new voice in the locker room? Can't imagine Boudreau wants to see them ship off a 30-goal scorer. For a team in California that was 14th in the West, the Ducks were creating chatter around the hockey world. It's possible they silenced all of that early this morning while most of us were sleeping.
    As for the next coaching move, you wonder how much longer Jacques Martin lasts in Montreal. The Canadiens look terrible. The Carlyle firing is the 167th change in the NHL since Lindy Ruff took over the Sabres in 1997. In fact, the only three teams that haven't switched coaches since the 2005 lockout are the Sabres, Nashville (Barry Trotz) and Detroit (Mike Babcock). Ruff is a complete anomaly.

Just discussing w/my bro-in-law, Sabres fans in opposition of Miller need to get their f-ing heads screwed on tight. Chants for Miller's ouster evidence a very spoiled fan base who forget what it is like to be w/out a stud net minder, and a very short memory on the part of some fans. Just this pre-season local media types were puffing their chest at the very notion of having two very capable net minders. Now these same talking heads fan the nascent flames of a "controversy" - creating one where none exists.

/rant
    @SmittysRant

Default Sabres Update 12/01/2011

My friend and respected forum member, ericdaoust, and I were discussing the merits of snagging Joe Finley, D, Sabres. The finer points can be found here

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...d.php&t=119203

...but to sum up we both agree that given the appropriate league set up, Finley would would be one of those sexy/sneaky waiver picks. The low risk/high reward type that a savvy fantasy GM thrives on, given the opportunity.

Former #1 pick for the Capitals, Finley has bounced around the AHL for some time now and afer overcoming serous injuries has his first opportunity (tomorrow -vs- Red Wings) to demonstrate he belongs in the big show. A menacing figure at 6'8" and 260 pounds, the 24 year old Finley has himself on the first line of defense in Rochester with a team leading plus-10 and 57 PIMs.

Not an offensive powerhouse, to be sure, but could be gold in the +/-, hits, blocked shots and PIM department w/emphasis on the hits and PIMs.

Ruff is pairing him w/ Brayden McNabb tomorrow night - and we all know how I feel about McNabb. Think about for a minute. Ruff has enough trust in both rooks to put them together? Sure they won't be seeing Detroit's top line, but it still speaks volumes....imo.

Ruff is quoted thusly:

"We've got another man 6-foot-8 who can skate almost as well as Tyler Myers can," Ruff said. "He's defended really well down there. You look at that and if he can continue to progress and stay hungry, you don't find those type of players. You don't find them in the draft anymore and it takes a long time to develop them."

Indeed.

Even Finley has a level head about the call up. To quote:

"I really just took it upon myself to focus on things I can control and that's trying to play a real simple, solid brand of hockey" Finley said.

"That physical play comes. It's about playing good positional hockey. All the guys up here are in fantastic position and they're on you that much quicker."

Full article here: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...nhl-debut.html

So fantasy GMs take note, and don't say I never gave ya nuthin'! (I bet sentium is cringing at that sentence)

Also.....Ennis is finally back, and Miller looks to start a game Fri or Sat (MacIntyre has been sent back down). Kaleta still has a sore nut but is skating.

Lines look like:

Vanek-Hecht-Pominville
    Ennis-Roy-Stafford
    Leino-Adam-Kassian
    Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta/Ellis

Ehrhoff-Gragnani
    Regehr-Sekera
    Finley-McNabb (ouch)
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; December 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Jeez, you do a fantastic job of this team report, Bomm Bastic. Tremendous value for me, as I own several Sabres at the moment.

Thanks, Leftwall, i appreciate your comments. I love the opportunity provided by praba, gates and some guy named dobber...??

Seriously, wish i could devote more time and i am trying to evolve the thread, learning as i go.

If you ever have any questions let me know
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; December 1, 2011 at 8:08 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    My friend and respected forum member, ericdaoust, and I were discussing the merits of snagging Joe Finley, D, Sabres. The finer points can be found here

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...d.php&t=119203

...but to sum up we both agree that given the appropriate league set up, Finley would would be one of those sexy/sneaky waiver picks. The low risk/high reward type that a savvy fantasy GM thrives on, given the opportunity.

Former #1 pick for the Capitals, Finley has bounced around the AHL for some time now and afer overcoming serous injuries has his first opportunity (tomorrow -vs- Red Wings) to demonstrate he belongs in the big show. A menacing figure at 6'8" and 260 pounds, the 24 year old Finley has himself on the first line of defense in Rochester with a team leading plus-10 and 57 PIMs.

Not an offensive powerhouse, to be sure, but could be gold in the +/-, hits, blocked shots and PIM department w/emphasis on the hits and PIMs.

Ruff is pairing him w/ Brayden McNabb tomorrow night - and we all know how I feel about McNabb. Think about for a minute. Ruff has enough trust in both rooks to put them together? Sure they won't be seeing Detroit's top line, but it still speaks volumes....imo.

Ruff is quoted thusly:

"We've got another man 6-foot-8 who can skate almost as well as Tyler Myers can," Ruff said. "He's defended really well down there. You look at that and if he can continue to progress and stay hungry, you don't find those type of players. You don't find them in the draft anymore and it takes a long time to develop them."

Indeed.

Even Finley has a level head about the call up. To quote:

"I really just took it upon myself to focus on things I can control and that's trying to play a real simple, solid brand of hockey" Finley said.

"That physical play comes. It's about playing good positional hockey. All the guys up here are in fantastic position and they're on you that much quicker."

Full article here: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...nhl-debut.html

So fantasy GMs take note, and don't say I never gave ya nuthin'! (I bet sentium is cringing at that sentence)

Also.....Ennis is finally back, and Miller looks to start a game Fri or Sat (MacIntyre has been sent back down). Kaleta still has a sore nut but is skating.

Lines look like:

Vanek-Hecht-Pominville
    Ennis-Roy-Stafford
    Leino-Adam-Kassian
    Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta/Ellis

Ehrhoff-Gragnani
    Regehr-Sekera
    Finley-McNabb (ouch)
    I think it's pretty obvious that the ice time will be heavily tipped towards the top-4 guys. Pairing up two rookies is probably a way to not disrupt chemistry between guys that have played on the same team all season. I would expect 10-12 minutes from that pair and a heavy 23-25 from the others. But that's just me. You guys probably know Lindy Ruff better than I do.

So for my fantasy-related question: How many scraps does Finley get himself into over the next two games? I want to think that he's going to pick a fight somewhere to prove a point.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that the ice time will be heavily tipped towards the top-4 guys. Pairing up two rookies is probably a way to not disrupt chemistry between guys that have played on the same team all season. I would expect 10-12 minutes from that pair and a heavy 23-25 from the others. But that's just me. You guys probably know Lindy Ruff better than I do.

So for my fantasy-related question: How many scraps does Finley get himself into over the next two games? I want to think that he's going to pick a fight somewhere to prove a point.
    He's gonna want to scrap sooner rather than later, but DET is a tough test. They are very disciplined, and if they come out skating circles around him there will be no need to fight and I would think will avoid it all together.

However, if Finely can hold his own defensively and play a tough physical game at the same time someone will step up. Who does DET have?? Bertuzzi? Dunno....

Then he faces NASH which should be good.

His ice time will depend heavily on two things (1) how often the Sabres find themselves in the box - he won't have any SH TOI, and (2) his play/legs.

If he can keep up, I can see Ruff rotating him more frequently. Maybe 18-19 mins ideal case.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    He's gonna want to scrap sooner rather than later, but DET is a tough test. They are very disciplined, and if they come out skating circles around him there will be no need to fight and I would think will avoid it all together.

However, if Finely can hold his own defensively and play a tough physical game at the same time someone will step up. Who does DET have?? Bertuzzi? Dunno....

Then he faces NASH which should be good.

His ice time will depend heavily on two things (1) how often the Sabres find themselves in the box - he won't have any SH TOI, and (2) his play/legs.

If he can keep up, I can see Ruff rotating him more frequently. Maybe 18-19 mins ideal case.
    I have seen several quotes from Ruff commenting on how well Finley skates. The Habs have a similar guy in Alexei Emelin who can crush people and also skate like the wind. The question IMO is in the brain. If the guy is out of position then the speed won't be as effective because the odd-man rush will already be happening.

Should be interesting regardless. I am always on top of the latest potential sleeper players so I really have fun tracking their numbers once they get a chance.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Default Red Wings @ Sabres - 12.02.2011

Super swamped at work so this specific post my be updated throughout the day, rather than posting a new one w/each update. Look for edits, accordingly.

Ryan Miller - passed his concussion test yesterday so he is back in action. Word is he will play tonight or tomorrow but I have not yet confirmed that. Side note: Was Miller ever ultimately diagnosed w/a concussion? I know he was reported to have concussion-like symptoms. Sounds like I'm splittin' semantic hairs, but there is a qualitative difference. I could very well have flu-like symptoms (eg fever, congestion, etc) without have the actual flu. Probably a moot point...just rambling.

Tyler Ennis will be on the right wing of Roy and Stafford. First game back after a 17 game layoff. Sabres need him to score and create even more chances. Nothing more/ nothing less.

Joe Finley - nothing more to say than has already been said throughout this thread. Feel free to peruse. I'll be watching tonight's action from the comfy confines of my den, w/ lap top at the ready to post continually throughout the game on the adventures of Big Joe. Very excited.

That's all for now, but as I previously stated, look for edits to this particular post throughout the day for updates.
    @SmittysRant