Page 17 of 89 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    • Pegula & Co. never actually went to Missassauga
    • The Leino move IS 'Plan-B'
    • Regier & Ruff plan on using Leino as a center
    • According to Regier this is the roster moving forward
    • That's it.
    ok, Bomm. Give us your estimated line combos now that the team is set, please
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    ok, Bomm. Give us your estimated line combos now that the team is set, please
    I've been toying w/this all day. They have so many wingers, and Ruff swaps lines like Gary Busey blows them...it's tough...something has to give. I call it as such:

Even Strength
    Vanek - Roy - Stafford
    Ennis - Leino - Boyes
    Hecht - Gaustad - Pommer
    McCormick - Gerbe - Kaleta

Myers - Regehr
    Ehrhoff - Leopold
    Weber - Gragnani

1st Unit PP:
    Ennis - Roy - Stafford
    Myers - Ehrhoff

2nd Unit PP:
    Vanek - Leino - Gerbe
    Gragnani - Myers/Ehrhoff

Penalty Kill
    Hecht - Gaustad - Kaleta
    Leopold - Regehr
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; July 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ruff swaps lines like Gary Busey blows them...
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the best line of the day...
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."
    -Paul Bissonette, "BizNasty2point0", on Twitter, January 30, 2011

The Great One

thanks Bomm...I like those combinations
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    thanks Bomm...I like those combinations
    Ummmm....I amended my initial list to include Weber. I really like Weber/Gragnani much better than Sekera/Gragnani. The Sabres would have three very balanced d-lines with this formula, in my opinion.

The Sabres are into that %10 summer time cap; they will have to resolve this situation sooner or later. I would like to see Sekera moved as he is way to much of a liability on defense (unless he's cool w/McCormick busting him in the chops each time he attempts an outlet pass across the middle). Moving Sekera would leave TJ Brennan, Brayden McNabb, and Shaone Morrisonn for call-up duty.

The above scenario may leave the Sabres a tad thin. Sooooo another possibility...

The Sabres are big on depth at defense, so they could hang onto Sekera and dish Ellis and Kotalik. This may in fact be the more likely scenario now that I think about, considering they have Adam and Kassian chomping at the bit. A cup of coffee or two w/the big boys throughout the season would serve them well in terms of both motivation and inspiration.

Additionally, Kotalik has no place on this team, unless Ruff has an unyielding premonition that the Sabres will be involved in 82 shootouts. Ellis is...well, Ellis.

Now keep in mind I have yet to examine the actual numbers. So the above options may not even work to remedy the cap issue, but I suspect they will.

In short, despite the acquisition of two highly qualified d-men, i believe there is a shot that Sekera stays with the team for insurance/depth purposes. Also, my sources have informed me that LaLime has mentored him in the art of door opening. Let's hope Sekera doesn't screw that up too.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Sekera re-signed.... Buh-bye Gragnani?

The Great One

that really sucks for us Gragnani owners
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Sekera re-signed.... Buh-bye Gragnani?
    Not necessarily, though it does at the very least affect his ice time. Regier has stated he wants depth at defense, and teams that make it deep into the playoffs need that depth. He was emphatic on that point so there is still the chance he stays, but.....I believe Grags would want, nay, demand a one-way contract.

The question is: are the Sabres deep in spite of or because of Gragnani? I would like to believe it's the latter. I would also like to believe they trade Boyes and bury Kotalik to get under, thereby enabling the Sabres to keep Grags. I also believe in unicorns.

Wife and I are moving into our new digs (first home) so I'll be offline for the next few days. Discuss among yourselves and play nice.

EDIT: I'm surprised no one is addressing the Ellis signing. That's a real puzzler too, though there is still a chance he gets moved.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; July 20, 2011 at 7:32 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ellis is a fantastic depth signing, he'll be the captain in Rochester and will see action in Buffalo when injuries inevitably happen (I'm looking right at Patrick Kaleta). Ellis brings a lot of good elements to the table, and maybe the best element is his work ethic. He never takes a single second of a shift off, is the consummate team player, great locker room guy, and I think if a lot of his attitude rubs off on guys like Zach Kassian who have a higher skill level but more questionable work ethics...that's worth the salary right there.

As far as Gragnani goes, he's going nowhere. Sekera's signing fills up the top 6 in Buffalo, which is good because Gragnani was always going to at least start the season as the #7 defenseman. 22 NHL games doesn't guarantee you a spot in an NHL lineup, he still has a lot to prove before other guys start getting shipped out the door. Gragnani will be signed, it will be a 1-way deal, he'll be with Buffalo all year long and no one in the current top six will need to be dealt.

Buffalo will get under the cap by making moves with Kotalik and Morrison (waivers, minors, Europe, trade), moving them off the main roster shaves $5 million right off the top of the cap and that's more than we need to get compliant.
    In Dobber Veritas

Reddawg, do you believe Sekera deserves to be ahead of Gragnani on the depth chart, and, if so, why?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Reddawg, do you believe Sekera deserves to be ahead of Gragnani on the depth chart, and, if so, why?
    Only salary alone he will be IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Only salary alone he will be IMO.
    Yeah that's my take too, dyz. BUT if Sekera gets outta the gate sloppy, Gragnani will leap frog him - assuming he is still playing at the level he finished last year.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yes, for now anyway.

I think Sekera has worked for 4 pro seasons to get into the top 6 regularly and Gragnani wasn't expected to do very much as a pro until he came in last year and surprised everyone. He had a pretty decent stretch run and an excellent playoffs, then followed it up with a very underwhelming World Championships, so I think it would serve him very well to be brought along slowly as the #7 defenseman and reevaluate next offseason. If he's pushing for a regular spot in the top 6 next year, Buffalo can elevate Gragnani and part ways with Leopold.

Sekera is very capable of being an excellent offensive defenseman, but I don't believe he can be "the guy" who flirts with 60 points and runs the PP. I don't think Grags can do that either at the NHL level, but together they can both be productive weapons for Buffalo.
    In Dobber Veritas

Quote Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
    Yes, for now anyway.

I think Sekera has worked for 4 pro seasons to get into the top 6 regularly and Gragnani wasn't expected to do very much as a pro until he came in last year and surprised everyone. He had a pretty decent stretch run and an excellent playoffs, then followed it up with a very underwhelming World Championships, so I think it would serve him very well to be brought along slowly as the #7 defenseman and reevaluate next offseason. If he's pushing for a regular spot in the top 6 next year, Buffalo can elevate Gragnani and part ways with Leopold.

Sekera is very capable of being an excellent offensive defenseman, but I don't believe he can be "the guy" who flirts with 60 points and runs the PP. I don't think Grags can do that either at the NHL level, but together they can both be productive weapons for Buffalo.
    Valid answer, but we should agree to disagree or we'll monopolize this thread
    w/this singular topic from now to eternity.
    @SmittysRant

Thumbs up Ruff Hires Adams as Associate Coach

Lindy Ruff has hired former Hurricanes forward and Stanley Cup winner Kevyn Adams as his associate coach. Adams, a Western NY native, is being counted on for his youth and a fresh perspective in the wake of the early summer release of Ruff's long-time associate coach and very good friend Brian McCutcheon. While specific roles have not been outlined for assistant coach James Patrick and Adams, it is thought that Adams will continue to have a significant role in player development.

Why should poolies give a hoot? Good question.

Ruff ultimately chose Adams over some thirty other applicants due to player-trust he developed over last season in his role as player-development coach. Put another way....I'd say Stafford owes Adams 10% of the gross of his newly minted (and somewhat inflated) contract and a years worth of in-house laundry service.

You say you own Gerbe? I will be sure to forward you Adams' address so you can send him a Basket O'Beer and singing Strip-O-Gram.

Kassian, Adam and McNabb on your farm? Sleep peacefully my restless GM friend, knowing they are in good hands w/Adams (#$%!! AllState).

So, to conclude, while some of the behind the scenes stuff goes completely unnoticed by us poolies, we should try harder to remember that a team's organizational system and design is a very important factor in determining the odds that a player will realize his potential. Ruff didn't allow the release of an eleven year veteran of his staff and dear friend for shits-n-giggles. His trust in Adams is telling, given this context. He is counting on Adams to provide a fresh set of ideas while continuing to develop quality talent, thereby allowing us poolies to have more confidence in our picks come draft time.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; August 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM.
    @SmittysRant