Page 22 of 97 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 72 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Canucks

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    I sure am excited to see how this Hodgson/Kesler relationship can build. I'm hoping it's not like my early dating life where fireworks flew aplenty for a very short period only to slowly fizzle out to the ground two weeks later...

Hodgson's hockey smarts could create the best connection Kesler has had since losing his bro-mance linemate in Burrows, to two fire-kissed twins. Hodgson hasn't looked out of place and has been the best player on the second line, save the recent promotion to Higgins, and I'm giddy with anticipation at the possibilities. I hope this ends like a teenage dream...
    Also something that I hadn't considered and can't remember if anyone has brought it up before on the boards/on the site but with Hodgson and Kesler on the same line it gives them the ability to be more aggressive on the dot.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Also something that I hadn't considered and can't remember if anyone has brought it up before on the boards/on the site but with Hodgson and Kesler on the same line it gives them the ability to be more aggressive on the dot.
    That cannot be stressed enough! Even if Kesler ends up working out better on the wing, as he's played there in the past, you've got a great one-two combo. It's amazing how much better this team looks on paper, not only because Kesler slots in to the second line, but Sameulsson becomes a GOOD third liner, rather than an O.K. second liner. Lovin' it.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Hip-Hip-Hoooooray! (get it?!@!?) Ryan Kesler is indeed back tonight against the hurting Rangers. Interestingly enough, the Rangers have played a league low three games and look to rebound from a slow start. Canuck's lineup changes a bit tonight with the addition of Kesler, and the defence may have a slightly new look:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
    Higgins-Kesler-Hodgson
    Hansen-Malhotra-Sameulsson
    Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise

D-pairings at practice looked like this:

Ballard-Bieksa (yikes!)
    Alberts-Salo
    Edler-Hamhuis

Game notes:

-Lapierre has been fantastic thus far in the F/O circle - over 70%
    -Stoked for the Higgins-Kesler-Hodgson line. Some real energy, grit and a great forecheck there, with a great addition of hockey smarts from Hodgson that Kesler hasn't really had to play with in the past.
    -Some interesting D-pairings. Ballard-Bieksa could be a disaster defensively.
    -Hodgson on the wing will be an experiment, but with his improved foot-speed I think he will be alright. There's less pressure on the wing but speed is definitely an asset, glad to see a much quicker Hodgson this year. Big statement game for Hodgson - not that it's boom or bust after one game, but a good game will go a long way.
    -Luongo will start tonight.
    -Rick Rypien will be honored tonight. Miss this kid.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

I've been scouring the internet trying to find out if Hodgson has any experience on the wing, here's what I found.

From Jim Jamieson of The Province:

"I've played wing in the past," said Hodgson, a right-hand shot. "I'm not averse to it. I played wing some games last season in Manitoba [AHL]. You always watch in practice what the wingers do so you can be ready. I'm pretty comfortable playing that position. It doesn't really affect me that much."

Read more here.

Comforting.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Ace

Not sure if anyone read this.. but its a good read.

BY IAIN MACINTYRE, POSTMEDIA NEWS OCTOBER 17, 2011
    VANCOUVER Kevin Bieksa had two brothers when he was growing up. Then he met Rick Rypien and had three.

The last time Bieksa spoke with Rypien, a month after Rick had left the Vancouver Canucks to sign with the Winnipeg Jets, they discussed how strange it would be to play against each other in March and joked about fighting at centre ice at Rogers Arena.

Later, we learned that Rypien had been fighting clinical depression for years. A week after his phone call with Bieksa, Rypien was found dead at home in Crowsnest Pass, Alta. He was 27.

There was never going to be another game for Rick Rypien. Never another talk with his mom, Shelley Crawford, never another moment with dad, Wes, or a joke with his brother, Wes Jr. Never another laugh with teammates. Never another anything.

But Tuesday night, the Rypiens will make it to centre ice after all when the Canucks honour Rick before their National Hockey League game against the New York Rangers. Rypiens legacy will be a website, funded by a $50,000 donation from the Canucks, to help young people deal with depression and other mental-health issues.

Bieksa will remember Rypien for much more than that.

He had a huge heart and he really didnt like for people to worry about him,€ Bieksa, 30, explained Monday in a quiet moment after the Canucks practice. He didnt want people worrying about him. He didnt want people to have to take care of him. He wanted to be the one taking care of people. Thats the way he was. He was kind of the leader of his family, the one everyone leaned on.

When he wasnt playing, Id talk to him and he'd say: Hows the team doing? How was last nights game? I remember thinking: Who cares? There are bigger issues here.

Bieksa and Rypien met near the end of the 2004-05 lockout season when Bieksa was with the American Hockey Leagues Manitoba Moose and Rypien was a quiet, scrawny kid fresh out of junior hockey in Regina.

"I thought he was just a fan or a young kid," Bieksa said. "I had no clue he was going to be playing for us. Then when he practised with us it was like: "Oh, thats kind of nice. They're letting the young kid skate with the team."

There was no easy road for him to make it to the NHL. He came from a small town in the middle of nowhere. To get noticed, he had to do whatever it took. People respected that.

Bieksa and Rypien became friends.

While driving together to a workout before the Canucks 2008 training camp, Rypien confided in Bieksa about his mental issues, his anxiety and worry.

A few months later, when Rypien disappeared during his first leave of absence from the team, Bieksa and Moose general manager Craig Heisinger, who was like a second father-figure to Rick, met in Edmonton after a Canuck game and drove to Rypien's home in southwestern Alberta.

"We went there looking for him," Bieksa said. "Didn't know what we'd find. We went to his house for four or five hours, just the two of us, hoping he'd come home and he finally did. That wasn't the best day for him. But we got him back and we got him help."

Bieksa never betrayed Rypien€™s trust, even to caring teammates who inquired about Rypien€™s well-being. The Canucks organization knew about Rypien€™s depression since that 2008 camp and coordinated the player€™s treatment.

Bieksa and his wife, Katie, helped as much as anyone.

While sitting out the rest of the 2008-09 regular season, Rypien stayed with the Bieksas.

€œMy wife stayed up to five in the morning talking to him every night,€ Kevin said. €œWe did what we could. . . just tried to get him through this. He loved hockey, loved coming to the rink. I remember him saying he just missed sitting in the dressing room and listening to guys chirping Hordy (ex-Canuck Darcy Hordichuk). Things like that. Those were the things he enjoyed, the camaraderie. He didn€™t like to be alone.€

Bieksa said Rypien was with him when Kevin asked Wes Jr. to be his best man, and even knew before Kevin did that he was going to be a new dad again because the Canucks were on the road when Rick finally asked Katie why she kept throwing up.

€œHe knew before I did,€ Kevin smiled. Cole Bieksa is nearly four, and his little sister Reese is two.

When Rypien moved back into his own apartment, Kevin would stop by after games to talk and sometimes walked Reese down the block just to check up on Rick and see if his lights were on.

Bieksa is emphatic that Rypien loved his role in hockey and fighting had nothing to do with his mental challenges. He said Rypien€™s illness was too complicated to be explained by one event or circumstance, such as the car-accident death nearly a decade ago of Rypien€™s girlfriend or the constant stream of injuries that slowed his NHL career.

€œThere were a lot of things going on,€ Bieksa said. €œI felt he was as much my responsibility as anybody€™s. Looking back now, I wished I€™d talked to him a little more in the summer. I thought he was getting better. I knew the severity of it (but) I don€™t think anyone really thought this would happen.€

Bieksa€™s emotional wounds will be torn open again Tuesday night, although he is thankful the Canucks are ensuring that at least some good comes from Rypien€™s death.

TSN is televising the game and the Canucks will livestream Rypien€™s ceremony on its website.

€œHe wouldn€™t like it,€ Bieksa said. €œHe wouldn€™t want to burden anybody. He would want more than anything for us to win. I€™m trying not to think about it a whole lot. It will be hard. We lived together, shared a lot of experiences and it feels like I lost a brother.€

Vancouver Sun

[email protected]

Twitter.com/imacvansun

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News
    Last edited by PatyOFurniture; October 18, 2011 at 6:23 PM.
    12 Team, One year, Points only - G,A,PPG,SHG, no positional restrictions
    2 points goalie W, 2 points goalie SHO, -.5 goalie loss, start 1 goalie per night
    Hughes, Panarin, Connor, Konecny, Terry, Necas, Gaudreau, Schmaltz, Nichushkin, Zacha
    Makar, Hedman, Andersson, DeAngelo
    Gustavsson, Talbot

Dobber Sports Sage

Hell of a piece... tough to read. Especially when you were a fan like I was. Kid was a joy to watch play and always appeared much happier than he actually was. Tough life, tough kid.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm really looking forward to seeing this tribute for Rypien. Awesome that tsn is allowing canucks.com to stream it on their site.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Sage

The Hodgson excitement, that was once so strong inside of me (what am I, a poet?), is back. Hodgson has simply improved each and every game he has played. I think this Kesler-Hodgson thing is going to work. Yea, it's early, but he's so freakin' smart, quicker and stronger on the puck that he can only compliment Kesler's game. Giddy. Up.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

The first period was a good one statistically for Vancouver, but wasn't the most pleasant to watch. A thing of beauty at times, but early penalties were once again the story. Neither coach was happy with poor penalties taken on both sides but watching Vancouver continue to go a man down early game, after game, after game is like continuing to ask out the same girl who's turned you down four times prior. Luckily the PK has stood up well recently and NY wasn't able to get much going. Vancouver out-shot NY 13-5, who are desperate to get defensive leader Marc Staal back from concussion issues. Lundqvist was the difference early in this game.

The second period is easy. Vancouver dominated. NY looked lost. Lundy stood on his head, again. Luongo had it easy. Kesler was fantastic and continued to play a strong game with no signs of rust. Shots at the end of the period were 28-9 Vancouver. Lundy is god?

The Rupp goal on Luongo in the third was a tough one, but one off of a big Luongo rebound. Already down on the play Rupp put one home over Luongo's shoulder. Lundy continued to play god. Edler put a sick move on a Ranger's dman but was thwarted by the "guy who can't be beat on any given night". Can we trade Luongo for Lundy? Both parties deserve it.... The second Ranger's goal was a nice one, tic-tac-toe play that saw McDonagh wide open in the slot to rifle one past Luongo. That wasn't his fault, merely a major lapse in the defensive play of the forward who should have been shadowing him. Pretty poor decision making on the Bieksa turnover that led to the Boyle goal. This goal put the game out of reach and really took the wind out of Vancouver's sails. Vancouver DID NOT dominate this period.... at all. The fourth Ranger's goal was brutal. The entire team was caught standing still and looked foolish because of it. I feel for you Luongo owners who count SV%. Sighhh....

Game Notes:

-Kesler was flying and delivering hits like he hasn't missed a beat. Great to see the jump and energy - it's infectious.

-Cody Hodgson is gonna work. What made Vancouver fans so excited when he was drafted is once again evident in his play. He's gonna be a good one for years, and his numbers should be decent this year as well. It's early, yea, but I just don't see him taking a step back. His commitment to being in shape and doing everything right should be the difference in lasting the entire year after playing so much hockey, then not enough, struggling to get healthy and finally stepping back into the big show. Hodgson even tried engaging Dubinsky in some pre-faceoff garbage talk... loved it. STOKED.

-Hamhuis and Salo looked great running the second unit PP. Hamhuis is great at getting pucks through a crowd and Salo has his bomb. Hamhuis' value jumps with a consistent role on the second unit.

-Ballard and Bieksa weren't great defensively, but Ballard was flying and had a couple of great goal scoring chances. I like what I've seen from Ballard so far this year; I can't believe I'm saying that. He was directing smart pucks towards the net tonight. "Can't score if you don't shoot."

-I love Edler, but man did he have a tough time hitting the net. Similar to the Erhoff of old who had a big shot but major issues hitting the net. He got it under control when he came to Vancouver and posted career highs in every department. Hopefully Edler starts to work on that.

-The addition of Hodgson on the second PP unit is working wonders. Smartest player they've had on that unit for years. Look for Vancouver's PP to once again be near the top of the heap.

-While the PP looked good, it was 0-8 on the night, though one was very short-lived, but Vancouver put 13 shots on goal. (cup half full?)

-I don't care if he has some points there, why the #$!@ is Samuelsson on the first unit PP, let alone on the point.

-Hamhuis and Edler were on the ice for three goals against. Short-lived experiment?

-Vancouver directed 40 shots on Lundy.

-The Rick Rypien tribute was beautiful but tough to watch. I really liked this kid.

-I love it when Bieksa fights, but he needs to do it earlier in the game. Bieksa is a night and day different player when he plays with emotion and on the edge. His "hug" taunt to Dubinsky after the scrap was hilarious.

-As much as I'm not a Luongo fan lately, it's tough to hear the boos and know how he's feeling. Yea, he needs to step up, but you don't hear anyone booing the lack of finish. Hot goaltender, yea, but that's what lost them the cup as well. As much as Luongo needs to find a way to keep the puck out of the net, his forwards need to find a way to put it in.

Three Stars:

Henrik Lundqvist - I try to stick with the stars from the Canucks, but I can't. He was the star of stars. Wear your sunglasses if you dare to look at this mofo. First of many shutouts on the season.

Alex Edler - In terms of fantasy/offense ONLY, Edler looked great. Aside from missing the net so freakin' much he had some great rushes and was very involved in the play. Good things will come.

Ryan Kesler - Corny? Yea, but he deserved it. I didn't expect this much jump or TOI (over 18 mins) and he played his regular old game. 3 SOG, 2 PIM, 2 hits and over 50% in the F/O dot.
    Last edited by ridinryan44; October 19, 2011 at 1:08 AM.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Guru

Great write-up. Thanks buddy.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Sage

Good quote from Bieksa on the issues from last night:

“You can’t really outplay a team any more than we did for 50 minutes there, he made a lot of great saves and we got numerous numerous chances. We’re kicking ourselves we couldn’t put a few past him.”

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Fantastic sequel to the Johnny Canuck video created after the game seven loss:

The Heartbreak of Johnny Canuck

The guy who makes these is actually from my hometown. Ya, you guys care.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Talks are starting to happen for the next outdoor game for the Canadian teams. As much as I'd love to see Vancouver there and attend, first and foremost I'd like to see the Jets get a shot. It would be best for the NHL and the team. Anything that helps improve the interest in the game of hockey is good with me and I think the Jets are much more likely to interest the American market than the Canucks are. Who do you want to see there?

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

-Sameulsson needs a recovery day so Sturm will take his spot on the wing on the third line.

-Salo will slide into Sammy's spot on the first unit - sexy

-Sounds like Luongo will get the call tonight.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Salo will slide into Sammy's spot on the first unit - sexy
    God I hope the PP goes lights-out... just to dissuade Vigneault from persisting with Samuelsson back there.

I'm also hoping for a solid 10 games of Kesler/Hodgson/Higgins to build some chemistry on that line, it holds the promise of (very) good things.

Incidentally, last season nobody with more that 4 games played had a worse save percentage than Luongo has now (at .860 some how he isn't even the worst starter in the league)... he's been bad this year. (by comparison Schneider is at .940)

But the issue I have is the goals that he gives up... particularly his penchant for softies when the game is close. I wouldn't worry about fans getting into his head though, I'm more worried about him getting out of his own head first.
    Last edited by Loch; October 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM.