Thread: Brayden Schenn vs. Ryan Johansen

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Brayden Schenn vs. Ryan Johansen

Who do you like more of these two elite prospects? Schenn was recently listed as the #1 prospect by THN's Future Watch, with Johansen following him at #2. Edmonton was asking these guys for Hemsky and neither LA or Columbus had any interest in moving them so their respective teams have very high hopes for them. Schenn will most likely make the jump to NHL next year and Johansen could also be in NHL next year.

Schenn is slated to be LA's #2 C in the long-term, while Johansen could find himself as the #1 C in Columbus playing next to Nash. Though I wouldn't place too much of an emphasis on this as Schenn will also have good players playing with him and as shown by Malkin/Kesler/Giroux etc. being the #2 C isn't an obstacle on becoming a fantasy stud. Great players will find a way to put up points.

Who do you prefer of these two? Who'd you take if you had the chance to grab either of these two?

Dobber Sports Veteran

2 solids prospects. But Schenn is the safe pick for me.

But I have high hope for Johansen. I own him and I would not trade him for Schenn. Just a feeling but long term I prefer Johansen. If he improve his skating he will be a solid 1st line center.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Star

I had Schenn and essentially swapped him as part of a bigger deal for Johansen.

I don't think you can miss with either. I could see Schenn being a safer pick, perhaps contributing more in roto categories, where as Johansen I see with a higher pts. upside.

If you're in a league that includes playoffs, I'd grab Schenn, as who knows when and if the Jackets will ever make any noise when/if they get back to the postseason dance.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'm starting to like Johansen. If he can get some time with Nash in the next 2 years and succeed. He would then get top line minutes both even strength and on PP. I think that would make me pick him over Schenn

Dobber Sports Pro

I like both but Johansen has a more clear path to #1 line PP time, TOI, linemates. For Schenn, it will come down to top PP duty. Not sure if that will happen. So fantasy wise, I like Johansen near term. Long term kind of even as we all know roster changes do occur.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Is it not possible that Schenn could see 1st PP with Kopitar, etc?
    He posting 2 P/G this year and completely dominated at the WJC.
    I'm not so sure it's as clear-cut to suggest Johansen's upside is automatically higher. I guesst that's the point of these forums.

Just like there were many reports indicating that Malkin would be starting on J. Staal's wing this season, maybe the same could be tried with Schenn and Kopi.

Tough choice, Carcillo.

At the very least, I think Schenn's current point pace of 47 in 21 games shows that he's more than ready for the big show. Of course, he's also a year older than Johansen.

Good luck trying to choose.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Brayden Schenn... Long term fantasy value... I relate him to Ryan Kesler ( Strong 2-way 2nd line Centre, top line PP).

Ryan Johansen... Long term fantasy value... I honestly kind of want to relate him to Eric Staal. He probably doesn't have the upside of Eric Staal sure, but thats the TYPE of player I see in Johansen.

One thing I'll add though... Is I find these 2 players eerily similar.

Both are bigger bodied centres, drafted top 10, didn't make the NHL out of their draft year but returned to the WHL and dominated for a year (2 in Schenn's case).

Both had very successful WJCs... And I think both have upsides right around a point per game, with some very respectable peripherals. AND both have the letter "Y" in their first name, as well as both of their last names end in "en". Creepy.

Long story short, I think Johansen is essentially a Brayden Schenn clone, and that being said Schenn is 1 year older, that much more developed, so if I was drafting today, I'd pick Schenn over Johansen.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks for the input guys! Anyone else?

Angus had Schenn as #1 forward prospect in keeper leagues with Johansen following as #2. So looks like you can't really go wrong with whomever you choose as there's not too much difference between these guys.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think I would go with Johansen. You're right not much difference but Johansen has a better chance of playing on the top line than Schenn does, unless they move him to wing. Johansen can be playing with Nash and Voracek in 2 years maybe... If he explodes in camp maybe next year... Brassard is easier to bump off a line than Kopitar.

Dobber Sports Ace

For what it's worth, Johansen for me. Finally got a chance to watch him play live last week, and there is really something special about the way he moves and sees the ice. I was leaning towards him already, but now I'd take him over Schenn for sure. Just me, though, Schenn is an admirable choice as well.
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

The Great One

Schenn for me. I still don't have a ton of faith in Columbus' system. Perhaps things will turn around for them eventually. Maybe eventually their prospects will all start clicking and they will start to put up decent fantasy points. But until that happens, I'm not passing up on Schenn to take a Columbus prospect. I would take Johansen over a lot of other prospects, but not over someone like Schenn.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Schenn for me. I still don't have a ton of faith in Columbus' system. Perhaps things will turn around for them eventually. Maybe eventually their prospects will all start clicking and they will start to put up decent fantasy points. But until that happens, I'm not passing up on Schenn to take a Columbus prospect. I would take Johansen over a lot of other prospects, but not over someone like Schenn.
    Looks like we're the minority in this thread. I thought I was going to be the only person to pick Schenn for awhile there...

Dobber Sports Legend

I would also go with the Johansen crowd. Both of the kids will be real good players but I like Johansen just a smudge better.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Rookie

I'm banking on Johansen.

^ ^

^ ^

20 teams. 3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 2 W, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 bench, 2 IR.
    10 keepers. C, LW, RW, 2 D, G, 4 any position.
    Points_League. G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, GWG, SOG, FW, FL, GS, W, GA, SV, SHO.
    8th seeason. Charter member.

^ ^ keepers:
    Kucherov, Nylander, Pastrnak,
    E Staal,
    Dumba, Pouliot,
    Lehner, Holtby, Darling, Vasilevskiy.