Thread: Goalie help needed

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Goalie help needed

I need some advice. Last night I dealt Roloson and Pavelec for Ryan Miller (a few other players involved...landed Chris Stewart too!) and so my current goalie situation heading down the stretch is Fleury, Miller and Vokoun.

There is a chance I can acquire Lundqvist in a multi-player deal but it would have to include either Fleury or Vokoun.

My offence is solid so consider any other players in a potential deal to be irrelevant for simplicity sake. Should I do a deal like this under any circumstances if I'm going for it this year? If so, which goalie should I trade??

Variables include Vokoun being dealt to a contender before deadline day and the timeline for Crosby's return. Fleury is 2-5-2 with a 2.65 GAA and .905 SV% since Malkin's injury. Not helping me. Vokoun is 3-6-1 with a 2.55 GAA and .925 SV% over that same time. Better, but not much.

I have a couple days to sort this out so I'd appreciate any input any of you may have. Thanks.
    NHL 12 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - Crosby,Getzlaf,Granlund
    LW - Pacioretty,E.Kane,Hartnell
    RW - Backes,Simmonds,SamGagne
    D - Letang,Byfuglien,Subban,Hamilton
    G - Lundqvist,Fleury,Schneider,Bryz
    IR - Kovy

MLB 9 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, W, L, SV, BB, K, ERA

C - C.Santana
    1B - Ortiz
    2B - Kinsler
    3B - Alvarez
    SS - Andrus
    OF - Trout,McCutchen,Kemp
    Util - Myers,Butler
    BN - Profar,Freese,Gyorko,Brantley
    SP - Price,Gio,Moore,Harvey,Miller,H.Bailey
    RP - Chapman,Frieri,K.Jansen
    DL - Beachy,Pineda

Dobber Sports Wizard

At first look I'm having a bit of a hard time making up my mind. Vokoun or Fleury, Fleury or Vokoun, who should stay, who should go? Let me lay out the pros and cons as I see them...

MAF:

Pros-
    Wins. Yeah this is a Captain Obvious type of insight, but facts is facts. When they're healthy the Pens will supply him(and you) with plenty of wins.

Age. He's still only 26. There is still time for some improvement in the peripheral stats, not huge gains, I don't think, but some improvment nonetheless.

Job security. He doesn't have anybody casting a shadow over him at the moment so he should continue to get a good workload.

Cons-
    Peripherals. They can be ugly at times. While I do believe he will see some improvement here, and he is on pace to equal his career bests in GAA and SV% this season, he still has only two seasons with a GAA below 2.60 and three with an SV% above .910. There is reason for hope with his age, but caution is advised until he posts consecutive seasons with better numbers here.

Vokoun-

Pros-
    Talent. If he played for even a slightly better team he would likely post wins with the best of them. He can keep a team in a game all by himself even if his supporting cast lays an egg.

Pro/Con(could go either way)-

Team. Specifically where will he be for the remainder of this season and beyond. If he lands in the right spot he could be huge down the stretch this season and for the next couple of seasons. If he stays put in FLA well...

Job security- This is where that dangling thought goes next. If he stays put in FLA, how soon before Markstrom becomes a real threat? His age alone makes this a wildcard no matter where he goes. And that leads me to...

Cons-
    Age. He's 34, so he's closer to the end then the beginning. That decline in performance due to age is looming closer and closer. No matter where he plays going forward this will be an issue to consider.

Vokoun's address for the remainder of the season and the Pens health or lack there of are the big variables for the stretch run. The way I see it, a lot depends on what your looking to do as far as concentrating solely on this year or if your looking at both this season and long term.

If your more focused solely on the short term I would try to deal Fleury for Lundy and keep Vokoun. If on the other hand your thinking about the long term as well I would trade Vokoun for Lundy and keep Fleury. Either way, if you can land Lundqvist that gives you an excellent trio of goalies to work with.

Good luck with the trade and hopefully winning your pool.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd rather have Vokoun than Fleury by a bit if you count W, SO, SV%, GAA. If you count Saves as well, I'd much rather have Vokoun.

Vokoun, Lundy, Miller is a sick goalie squad.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback, good points both of you. NoWayOut awesome analysis, I really appreciate that.

Based on both your comments, and since I am thinking more short term, if I gamble that Crosby's out for at least the better part of the rest of the season, I might do better keeping Vokoun and dealing Fleury whose value is likely higher at this point in the season. I could proabably pry Lundqvist away from him more easily with Fleury than with Vokoun if I offered it today.

Anyone else think that would be a mistake or otherwise want to chime in on this?
    NHL 12 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - Crosby,Getzlaf,Granlund
    LW - Pacioretty,E.Kane,Hartnell
    RW - Backes,Simmonds,SamGagne
    D - Letang,Byfuglien,Subban,Hamilton
    G - Lundqvist,Fleury,Schneider,Bryz
    IR - Kovy

MLB 9 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, W, L, SV, BB, K, ERA

C - C.Santana
    1B - Ortiz