Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nabokov next year?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Nabokov next year?

Anyone know what might happen with Nabby next season? Is he worth keeping for next year on a fantasy roster? If he doesn't play any games this year, can NYI trade him over the summer or will he still have to clear waivers before being dealt? Anyone think he'll come back, play a game or two, and then become a UFA in the offseason? Overall: will Nabokov be playing in the NHL next year and will it be for another team besides NYI?

lol...when you find out, let me know. I have him on my roster too, and am at a loss about next year. I think I approach the draft with him as my last drop.

That is to say, I have approx four spots on my current roster that I'd like to upgrade - 2D, 1F, and 1C.

The center will be the last position filled because it's more for depth than need. I won't force the pick so if a high end prospect is not available I'll pass and keep Nabokov. If however I can land say B Schenn, then I'll consider dumping Nabokov.

If I have to hang onto him then I'll use him as waiver fodder, or hold out hope that he starts a few games, performs well then trade him high.

I don't think there's one rule to follow. Really depends on your depth/team needs.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Edit: Would just like to recant this post....was already discussed in another thread don't feel like it needs to be here.
    Last edited by bondon; April 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

They did toll his contract :
    (4/22/11) Evgeni Nabokov's involvement in the 2011 World Championship is reportedly contingent on him agreeing to not file a grievance against the New York Islanders for tolling his contract. By tolling his contract, the Islanders keep Nabokov under contract for the 2011-12 season. Nabokov was claimed off waivers by the Islanders, but he refused to play with them. His cap hit will be a mere $570,000, which also makes him a valuable trade chip if he still doesn't want to be a member of the Islanders' organization.

However, they can NOW trade Nabokov without him being claimed by another team! Now, where can he end up being traded to?

Detroit just signed Howard. Niemi was signed in SJ. There is Philly who could use his cap hit of 900k.
    Last edited by bernjean; April 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM.
    15 teams full keeper league, NHL Salary cap + 10M$ (Cap hit)
    ROTO - Weekly lineups
    Cats : P, SOG, PPP, TKA, Hit, Blk, W, SV%
    12FW, 6D, 2G
    C: Eichel, Tavares, Rasmussen, Zacha
    W: Ehlers, Mantha, Caufield, Marner, Raymond, Tippett, Tuch
    D: Byram, Clifton, Fabbro, Hamilton, Hughes, Matheson, Schneider
    G: Grubauer, Forsberg, Francouz (minor eligible)

IR: Wilson, Couturier, Arvidsson, Chychrun

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm a little confused here Bernjean - can you clarify something for me. You say he can't be traded without him being claimed by another team. How does that work - there are no waivers with a trade are there?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I'm a little confused here Bernjean - can you clarify something for me. You say he can't be traded without him being claimed by another team. How does that work - there are no waivers with a trade are there?
    See, this was the one issue that I really had with the NHL's system in our other discussion about Nabokov.
    I believe (and bernjean can correct me if i'm wrong), that in order for the Islanders to trade Nabokov they first have to pass him through waivers a SECOND time (because they claimed him). That makes absolutely 0 sense to me.

In the ideal situation, Snow claims Nabokov, and just trades him to Detroit so he can get some assets back at least. Now this whole thing is convoluted like crazy. Drives me bonkers.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well, if I had the space I suppose I would go along for the ride and hope he turned into something worthwhile, but at this point I think I would just as soon have Kabanov.

Oops! I made a BIG typo.

What I read was that he can NOW be traded without having to go through waivers.

Sorry.

I'll try to find the link of the article.
    ROTO - Weekly lineups
    12FW, 6D, 2G

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-kings-goalies

"The idea is that both Nabokov and the Islanders would benefit from the veteran goalie putting on a solid performance in Slovakia. His stock may rise, as the Islanders will likely put him on the trade block this summer."

So, he seems to be off the hook on the waiver front and could now be traded anywhere.

Another article from Rotoworld :
    http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...okovs-contract

The Islanders have decided to toll Evgeni Nabokov's contract, which means the Islanders own his rights for the 2011-12 season.
    Nabokov comes with a very affordable $570,000 cap hit. The only reason the Islanders can do this is because Nabokov was claimed off waivers by them and then refused to play. Had Nabokov served as a goaltender with the Islanders for the balance of the 2010-11 campaign, he would have entered the summer as a free agent. The silver lining for Nabokov, assuming he still doesn't want to play for the Islanders, is that the team will be able to trade him this summer. The Islanders were not able to easily move him in 2010-11 because of the CBA rules, but that shouldn't be an issue once his contract is tolled. In the meantime, Nabokov has been given permission to play in the 2011 World Championship.
    ROTO - Weekly lineups
    12FW, 6D, 2G

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Nabokov doesn't have to clear waivers and can be traded. Assuming Nabokov still wants to play in the NHL (and is traded to a team he wants to go to) you can be pretty sure he'll end up as a starter (or worst case scenario 1A) somewhere.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Nabokov doesn't have to clear waivers and can be traded. Assuming Nabokov still wants to play in the NHL (and is traded to a team he wants to go to) you can be pretty sure he'll end up as a starter (or worst case scenario 1A) somewhere.
    and does he want to play another full year at that salary?

assuming he agrees to go to the team the Isles work out the trade with

If so, then Snow got himself a nice little trading chip and I take back what I wrote about him being in the wrong over this.

Snow could get a bidding war going for a keeper of that quality at that pricetag...
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Quote Originally Posted by tripel View Post
    and does he want to play another full year at that salary?

assuming he agrees to go to the team the Isles work out the trade with

If so, then Snow got himself a nice little trading chip and I take back what I wrote about him being in the wrong over this.

Snow could get a bidding war going for a keeper of that quality at that pricetag...
    Snow's tolling his contract, he doesn't really have a choice whether or not to play a full year at that salary... If he decides not to report to a team or whatever, I'm sure his contract will just be tolled again.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Snow's tolling his contract, he doesn't really have a choice whether or not to play a full year at that salary... If he decides not to report to a team or whatever, I'm sure his contract will just be tolled again.
    yeah, im assuming his other option would be just to retire
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Dobber Sports Pro

glad I pick up Nabby on the last day of the season just in case!
    Year 18 keeper pool. 10 GM roto pool. Keep 2 Centers, 3 Wings,3 Defence,1 Goalie,1 extra. and Prospects up to 5 years after drafted if not activated.
    G, A ,PPG, PPA, Shots, Hits, Blocks, SHP,W, GAA, Sv%, SO ( goals and assist are worth 1.5 points) (shp worth .5)

Centers: S Aho, J.T Miller

Wings: M.Tkachuk, A.Svechnikov, Fiala, Giroux

Defence: Josi,Makar,Chychrun

Goalie: Georgiev

(IR)

Farm: Byfield, Byram, Mercer, Lundkvist Frost, Boldy, Comtois, Fabbro, Nemec , Barlow, Carlsson, Dvorsky,

2015 & 2016 BPKL CHAMPS!

Quote Originally Posted by tripel View Post
    yeah, im assuming his other option would be just to retire
    Not likely. He's playing in the worlds for a reason.