Page 20 of 414 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Initiate

Burke says he has one spot open for a forward to make the team.

Kadri would appear to have the best shot at the spot to play with Bozak or Lombardi and Armstrong. He will still need to have a better camp and preseason than his competition to nail down that spot.

Frattin looked good in his one game last year and Burke has declared Frattin as being NHL ready. He had a great year last year in College with 60 points in 44 games including 36 goals. Frattin is an offensive scoring machine. I think Burke is right this guy is NHL ready but can he outplay some of the regulars by enough to get a spot out of the gate this year. I have no doubt that he will get a call up during the year but not sure he can earn a spot on opening night.

Caputi almost made the team last year and then missed most of the season with the Marlies with an injury. Caputi has now had 35 games in the NHL with nine goals. This year is going to be a make or break year. If Caputi can not crack the lineup sometime this year his cahnce for an NHL career just might slip away. I expect him to have a very strong preseason but the question will it be enough?

Colborne played well in his one game but I think without an injury to a couple of centers Colborne's chances will be a long shot. He will however be given a chance in the preaseason to demonstraate his level of readiness.

Mueller could be the dark horse. He had a mediocre season with the Marlies last year and then went out with an injury. When he came back from injury he was a reborn player. He had 7 points ( 5 goals and 2 assists ) in three games. He then went on to lead Germany at the world championships.

It has been a long time since the leafs had four prospects with this much potential and upside going into camp fighting for a roster spot on the team.

So which if any of these guys do you think will be on the ice for the season openner or will it be Lombardi, Bozak and Armstrong on the 3rd line?

Dobber Sports Stud

I've been somewhat out of the loop for a little while now (school, vacation, work does that :P) but I read on Tuesday that Wilson had named Kadri-Bozak-Armstrong as his 3rd line.

Lombardi will likely not be ready for the season opener. He's only going to be limited by how fast he can get his conditionning up to speed though (AKA concussion over).

I'd say Kadri gets it as he has nothing more to prove yet at the AHL. However, this would only be beneficial if they can somehow slot him in on the PP. Lupul-Conolly-Kessel with Liles and Phaneuf is the likely 1st unit. If not, Conolly will slide onto the point either instead of Liles or on the 2nd with who I'm betting will be Gunnarsson or Franson. The forwards on unit 2 would be the Kulemin-Grabo-Mac line. If Kadri can't somehow get into that lineup, then maybe more minutes at the AHL level to fine-tune him instead of playing nothing but 3rd line minutes in what I'd assume is more of a defensive line (with Armstrong), especially if your other options are Frattin and Colborne.

Colborne could probably use that AHL year. He's 21(22) and as a big guy could probably benefit from another year as productive as his time in Toronto. Have him on call-up duty. He's also a natural center who isn't, unlike Kadri who's comfortably played LW/C/RW before, necessarily a better fit on the wings. And with the Leafs having so many centers (Grabo, Conolly, Bozak, Lombardi, Dupuis).

Frattin is a natural LW and he does play a game that would probably be suited for the 3rd line. But I think the quote Burke had back in April was that he could be good enough to bypass his usual rule of AHL service before NHL time. He's already 22(23?) as well.

I think it would be Kadri's spot to lose it's impossible to develop his offence properly (via way of the PP). With injuries, it should very well happen that he gets time. But Frattin could also make a strong impression for the spot.

It'll be whoever wins it in camp. My bet is that it's Kadri's name penciled in, but Frattin could make it. Colborne, however, should not be expected to do more then spot duty on the Leafs this year.

Also, kbooks brings a good point with Mueller. Best not to forget him. Seems that he was figuring it out at the end there.

They have some time since I don't think Lombardi will be up to speed on opening night. He'll be close to it by then, but not top shape from what I've gathered.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Guru

I cant remember where I read it but Kadri had a quote this summer saying Wilson told him to work on his shot and control on the half-boards as thats where WIlson wanted him on the PP. To me it sounds like they are planning on Kadri being there but dont want him to think its his on a silver platter. I would be surprised if any of the other young guys mentioned make the team ahead of Kadri.

"Ron Wilson is projecting line combos already. The Leafs head coach voiced to the media on Tuesday that right now he envisions a lineup with Lupul – Connolly – Kessel, MacArthur – Grabovski – Kulemin, and Kadri – Bozak – Armstrong going into the season."

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/
    Last edited by wendelclark17; September 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    I cant remember where I read it but Kadri had a quote this summer saying Wilson told him to work on his shot and control on the half-boards as thats where WIlson wanted him on the PP. To me it sounds like they are planning on Kadri being there but dont want him to think its his on a silver platter. I would be surprised if any of the other young guys mentioned make the team ahead of Kadri.

"Ron Wilson is projecting line combos already. The Leafs head coach voiced to the media on Tuesday that right now he envisions a lineup with Lupul – Connolly – Kessel, MacArthur – Grabovski – Kulemin, and Kadri – Bozak – Armstrong going into the season."

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/
    That is finally a solid forward crew! I really like what Burke has done with this team and Colborne still in the wings! Kadri I do think makes the team if he can show the husle and nice to see them figure him at wing and NOT centre!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    That is finally a solid forward crew! I really like what Burke has done with this team and Colborne still in the wings! Kadri I do think makes the team if he can show the husle and nice to see them figure him at wing and NOT centre!
    I think Kadri is basically a lock to make the team this year!
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Stud

So I take it you two die-hards saw the rookie game... Was working so I only caught the highlights...

But damn, that Gardiner goal (the 1st one) is just... he skates so... effortlessly. He looks like he's floating out there.

Since one of you is bound to have seen the game, any thoughts on McKegg, Olden, Percy and Blacker in particular?
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    So I take it you two die-hards saw the rookie game... Was working so I only caught the highlights...

But damn, that Gardiner goal (the 1st one) is just... he skates so... effortlessly. He looks like he's floating out there.

Since one of you is bound to have seen the game, any thoughts on McKegg, Olden, Percy and Blacker in particular?
    I was crazy busy tonight, only caught a glimpse of the game. I'm actually pretty pissed, wanted to watch.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Stud

Same as last time - couldn't watch. Watched the game in 6 though and this is what I could gather out of it :

- McKegg seems to have awakened. Had 3 points (1g, 2a). One of them was a lucky bounce for him to get it, but his other assist was a nice cross-ice PP pass. He also had a nice breakaway chance with Nicholls who couldn't capitalize. They seemed to be humming all game long. McKegg earned himself the first star.

- Olden also seems to be much less lanky then last year.

- As mentioned earlier, Nicholls seemed to have been buzzing.

- The other notable player in the highlights seems to have been Tyler Brenner, who was signed out of college late last season. He was named second star and at the least had a goal (may have got an assist).

EDIT : From Maple Leafs Hot Stove, the additional points can be made :

- Mitchell Heard (2g), who was undrafted at both the NHL and OHL levels, has been playing an impressive game.

- Olden, while not appearing on the score sheet, seems to have played a solid game. Reading though, I get the impression he had a game similar to perhaps what we usually see out of Kulemin.

- McKegg was also playing win instead of his natural center.

- Jamie Devane also impressed yet again.
    Last edited by Nights; September 12, 2011 at 2:58 PM.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Master

Same as last time - couldn't watch. Watched the game in 6 though and this is what I could gather out of it :

- McKegg seems to have awakened. Had 3 points (1g, 2a). One of them was a lucky bounce for him to get it, but his other assist was a nice cross-ice PP pass. He also had a nice breakaway chance with Nicholls who couldn't capitalize. They seemed to be humming all game long. McKegg earned himself the first star.

- Olden also seems to be much less lanky then last year.

- As mentioned earlier, Nicholls seemed to have been buzzing.

- The other notable player in the highlights seems to have been Tyler Brenner, who was signed out of college late last season. He was named second star and at the least had a goal (may have got an assist).

EDIT : From Maple Leafs Hot Stove, the additional points can be made :

- Mitchell Heard (2g), who was undrafted at both the NHL and OHL levels, has been playing an impressive game.

- Olden, while not appearing on the score sheet, seems to have played a solid game. Reading though, I get the impression he had a game similar to perhaps what we usually see out of Kulemin.

- McKegg was also playing win instead of his natural center.

- Jamie Devane also impressed yet again.
    Thanks dude, I have an insanely busy schedule for the next little while. Nice to see these posts being put up. they keep me informed.

Dobber Sports Master

I haven't watched a second of the rookie tourney with my hectic schedule as of late.

Any good news coming out of there? Who played well? Who didn't?

All feedback appreciated.

Dobber Sports Stud

Angry

I haven't watched much either...

However, it seems that there aren't many "surprises" this year. The only prospect who has made some noise who was surprising was Mitchell Heard, a 19 year old undrafted prospect.

The Otters, Sondre Olden and Greg McKegg, seem to have been the pair of forwards who have stood out the most - yet that is to be expected considering that they were both 3rd rounders from a year ago with quite a good resume. Olden played a solid two way game, and had a nice goal last night (apparently - this is just from reading) and showed a truly diverse skillset. He has many tools in his toolbox. Just not necessarily the ability to put it all together. But his skill package is tantalizing (again, apparently).

McKegg also just showed more of the same from his OHL career - offensive flair, solid game, yet a bit inconsistent. He played on the same line as Olden and Heard in the last game.

Frattin and Gardiner were also expected to dominate due to their advanced experience. While they've had moments (Gardiner in game one, for example), it seems none of them "dominated", per say. But the Leafs probably (especially with Frattin) wanted to ease them in and let other prospects who won't be fighting for a roster spot in the NHL to get more development time to impress.

Blacker apparently played a silent game - the good silent. You know, the adage that "if you don't hear a defensive defenceman's name all game, he's doing his job" meaning no huge mistakes. Perhaps no huge offensive flair, either, but he played an all-around solid game that simply needs refinement. One comment was that he was fought off the puck too easily, for example.

Aaaaaaand... Owuya is just like any other european goalie coming over. Rebound control leaves to be desired, but you can see the foundation and his style and why he was signed.

In other news, the Leafs have released their 70 man training camp roster. 47 forwards, 21 defencemen, 6 goalies. Openso n the 16th, pre-season starts on the 19th.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

And as a complete side note, I just received my copy of the "Maple Leafs Annual" today. Will be reading it over the weekend (I would now if I didn't have like 140 pages of school material to read up on for tomorrow *sigh*) and might give a few tidbits (along with further advertisement for them :P). In fact, a few snippets of the interviews they have made were posted earlier in this section.

Most of the information in the Annual comes from Maple Leafs Hot Stove, which for the record, should be in your daily browsing rotation if you're a leaf fan. Very insightful. quite reserved (sometimes over optimistic, but not overkill for a fan site) and just growing considerably since it's inception. I've followed it for about 2 years now and it's been nothing short of great reads since.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Master

Thanks for your updates Nights. I'm gonna try and watch some of the preseason games.

Once the regular season rolls by, I don't miss games. Just doesn't happen

Dobber Sports Stud

Luke Schenn won't be missing a second of training camp. He was re-signed today (or late last night, however you want to see it) to a 5 year pact worth 3.6 million a year (average). Which makes it a hell of a good cap hit as far as I am concerned, and having him around for 5 years means that he ain't going nowhere anythime soon.

And TK, I really think you're starting to slow down. This isn't normal, bud.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Master

Luke Schenn won't be missing a second of training camp. He was re-signed today (or late last night, however you want to see it) to a 5 year pact worth 3.6 million a year (average). Which makes it a hell of a good cap hit as far as I am concerned, and having him around for 5 years means that he ain't going nowhere anythime soon.

And TK, I really think you're starting to slow down. This isn't normal, bud.
    I'm often busy during the day!

You'll see me in full speed throughout the season, don't worry

As for Schenn, I love this contract. A long term, very respectable cap hit. That 3.6 will be a bargain by year 3.

Loving that the team has all the core guys locked up for the upcoming season. Now, we only focus on the season, and what lies ahead.