Page 16 of 414 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Master

Thanks for sharing that article Nights, very cool read.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Stud

The only other tidbit I'd have to offer is that the Leafs have signed their 6th rounder from this past draft, David Broll ("The Brolldozer") to an entry level contract.

He seems to bring the prototypical big body grinder with some potential offensive upside (read : rather little offensive upside at that, but it could be there) that Burke is often associated with. Probably a project 3rd liner at best, and that is likely a stretch. But we'll see - the Leafs have had some recent success with some of their late picks looking better then expected (d'Amigo and Nicholls, both from the "Burke regime", among others).

If I'm not mistaken, he's also the 1st 2011 draft pick the leafs have signed (they could have signed Percy and Biggs without me noticing, though).
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Yes, but the way I see it is that on the powerplay, the main setup guy is the point man (Liles in this case). The interior setup isn't as important when on the powerplay.

I feel that Kadri will rightfully earn his spot on the powerplay top line, and connolly keeps his spot on the top even strength line.
    Completely disagree as well. Connolly played the point on the pp in Buffalo when healthy and was quite lethal as a disher quarterbacking the play. In fact Im pretty sure thats his strongest asset- hes very Brad Richards-lite in this regard. Im not gonna sell Kadri short as a prospect but I think theres pretty much zero chance he competes with Connolly for pp time.

I also think Timmy C can surprise quite a bit. I guess its fair to call him average at this point but theres upside here. He was once regarded kind of like a 1b center with Roy over in Buffalo after the mass exodus of briere/drury et all. Injuries de-railed that and the emergence of Ennis/Gerbe saw him take on a diminished role after that.

From what I hear he is healthy and very motivated. Hes pretty much an ideal set up guy for Kessel and Lupul banging around the net should add to the chemistry. I absolutely think Connolly can be a 70+ point center if healthy. He was very near to that when he had both opportunity and health going for him 2 seasons ago- 65 in 73. You could argue his situation will be even better in TO.

Hes only 30.

My thoughts...

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Completely disagree as well. Connolly played the point on the pp in Buffalo when healthy and was quite lethal as a disher quarterbacking the play. In fact Im pretty sure thats his strongest asset- hes very Brad Richards-lite in this regard. Im not gonna sell Kadri short as a prospect but I think theres pretty much zero chance he competes with Connolly for pp time.

I also think Timmy C can surprise quite a bit. I guess its fair to call him average at this point but theres upside here. He was once regarded kind of like a 1b center with Roy over in Buffalo after the mass exodus of briere/drury et all. Injuries de-railed that and the emergence of Ennis/Gerbe saw him take on a diminished role after that.

From what I hear he is healthy and very motivated. Hes pretty much an ideal set up guy for Kessel and Lupul banging around the net should add to the chemistry. I absolutely think Connolly can be a 70+ point center if healthy. He was very near to that when he had both opportunity and health going for him 2 seasons ago- 65 in 73. You could argue his situation will be even better in TO.

Hes only 30.

My thoughts...
    I don't know what to make of Connolly. I do now believe that 1st line PP duties are his to lose completely, but I'm not convinced that he'll be a successful Leaf. In the past 5 seasons he has played seasons of 2,48,48,73, and 68 games. he has not played a full season of hockey since 2002. If he can stay away from the DL, it would be ideal.

I'm hoping you're right here Emu. If he has a 2009-2010 repeat, I'd be very content. However, If he repeats his results from last year (42 in 68), I would not be pleased. It's great to hear that his health is good and motivation is high, however!
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Stud

Once again, the guys @ mapleleafshotstove deliver. Earlier in this thread, they talk with Dave Morrisson.

Now, they speak with Rick Dudley, who was hired btu a few months ago. The former GM is considered to be a top player talent evaluator. He also loves watching games. Any game, anywhere, you name it, he's there watching and evaluating. Should be a great add to the team.

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2011/0...h-rick-dudley/
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    Once again, the guys @ mapleleafshotstove deliver. Earlier in this thread, they talk with Dave Morrisson.

Now, they speak with Rick Dudley, who was hired btu a few months ago. The former GM is considered to be a top player talent evaluator. He also loves watching games. Any game, anywhere, you name it, he's there watching and evaluating. Should be a great add to the team.

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2011/0...h-rick-dudley/
    The Leafs' front office is ridiculous right now, Dudley only makes it better. He'll do wonders for both Burke and the scouting department, I was ecstatic when I heard he'd be on board.

Dobber Sports Stud

The boys at Maple Leafs Hot Stove strike again, this time with an interview with assistant GM Dave Poulin. Again, just excerpts from theit interview to be published in the Maple Leafs annual.

They have one last interview lined-up : Brian Burke.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Icon

I agree with EMU. Ive watched Connolly since his erie days.

If he's healthy and stays healthy he could be in for a career year.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    I agree with EMU. Ive watched Connolly since his erie days.

If he's healthy and stays healthy he could be in for a career year.
    I really hope so Sparrow.

Dobber Sports Stud

So while the season is some 60 days-or-so away, the 1st hint of any Leafs action is on it's way (still far off though). The Leafs have announced their 25 man roster for the annual rookie tournament they participate in against the rookies from Ottawa, Chicago and Pittsburgh in Oshawa, Ontario. The tournament is help in just over a month from now, with a game against Chicago on September 10th. It concludes on the 13th with a game against the Senators. (All rookies here).

Here are the notable additions :

Forwards include : Brenner, Broll, Carrick, D'Amigo, Devane, Frattin, Leivo, McKegg, Nicholls, Olden, Ross, Ryan
    Defencemen include : Blacker, Gardiner, Percy
    Goalies include : Owuya and Sparks

Notable exemptions : Biggs seems like the only high-profile prospect missing.

Interesting note : Olden is 6'4" now. He was 6'3" last year. But he's small... like a single pound heavier then Ross, who's 6'0".
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

wow, you are quick. I was just about to come post this info about the Rookie Tournament.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    wow, you are quick. I was just about to come post this info about the Rookie Tournament.
    Blame the lack of a life, facebook, and my current set-up of simply being on my laptop on the internet for god knows how long each day. And my love for the Leafs kind of helps.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Master

Thanks for the updates Nights. I've been busy this summer, and come preseason time will be completely focused in on the Leafs. Thanks for your continual support and very informative posts. +rep for you.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Thanks for the updates Nights. I've been busy this summer, and come preseason time will be completely focused in on the Leafs. Thanks for your continual support and very informative posts. +rep for you.
    If it wasn't for work and school, I'd be just as die-hard addict like you and previously JD when it comes to the Leafs. I just have troubles containing the addiction when I can't watch as many games as I did two years ago (70 out of 82 I think it was).
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    If it wasn't for work and school, I'd be just as die-hard addict like you and previously JD when it comes to the Leafs. I just have troubles containing the addiction when I can't watch as many games as I did two years ago (70 out of 82 I think it was).
    watching games doesn't make you an addict. Doing what you do is, covering the rookie tournament, or following the team and caring like you do. You're a die-hard addict, don't think otherwise