Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 50 ... LastLast

Thread: Elliotte Friedman's 32 Thoughts

The Great One

Default Re: Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    We all know that Elliotte is one of the best in the business and the his 30 thoughts are generally four star worthy but I don't know if it's because these followed an action heavy draft, but this edition is one of the most entertaining and insightful I've ever read.

Go through all 30 and disagree with me. I dare you!
    Usually I'll get to about 23 and say "ok it's getting a little boring now" but this time I got all the way to 30 without getting that thought in my head.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    that is definitely why. more whispers and rumors when all the teams and media are in one place.

Ya, you're right. Still, it's amazing how he perfectly straddles the fine line of knowing just how much to feed "us" for us to feel informed, yet he still gets "them" to trust him and talk.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Ya, you're right. Still, it's amazing how he perfectly straddles the fine line of knowing just how much to feed "us" for us to feel informed, yet he still gets "them" to trust him and talk.
    There's a real give and take with being an insider. You develop connections because you show willingness to put out there stuff that teams want put out there and in exchange they get inside information to break news early. So long as the reporter doesn't bite the hand that feeds (or vice versa) then trust continues to build and the information pipeline grows stronger.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Every time I see this thread light up in my new post feed I think there's a new 30 thoughts. Damn you's!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Just read the last one.
    Very good.

I liked the Ron Hextall story about not being able to go anywhere anymore.
    So true.

Dobber Sports Genius

We get 44 to end the season.

@FriedgeHNIC: The final 44 Thoughts of the season -- http://t.co/EWcLnBPe8g/s/QUfZ

m.twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC
    Per twitter

Dobber Sports Guru

Hockey season is back. Friedman has a new 30 Thoughts.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...ia-could-mean/

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Genius

@FriedgeHNIC: 30 Thoughts -- http://t.co/GdLpY0oAtk/s/KZxC

Latest..

Dobber Sports Deity

I guess not many from the league read the thread here on the forums.

14. In a league where people love to rip things anonymously, there wasn’t much hatred for the seven-year, $29 million-ish contract Edmonton gave to 77-game veteran Oscar Klefbom. Rocky Thompson, who spent the last three seasons coaching the defender at AHL Oklahoma City and in Edmonton, liked the move. “Ninety-five per cent of the time, we faced a 2-1-2 or an aggressive 1-2-2 forecheck. Oscar trusted his legs to get back in enough time to make a good breakout pass to the winger, or to make a move allowing him to get the puck to the centre through the middle. His value doesn’t measure in points, but he does things that allow you to get points.” Thompson said Klefbom also doesn’t get enough credit for his ability to recognize when an attacking player stops with the puck at the Edmonton blueline or in the neutral zone to wait for support on a line change. “He knows how to cut off that player and stop the play.”

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Glad to see it back, love the 30 for 30. This tidbit was something I hadn't considered:

It doesn’t sound like we’ll get an expansion announcement at the Board of Governors meeting next week. That will probably wait until December. If this is going to happen, I’ll join the Las Vegas/Quebec City bandwagon (although my liver won’t). The biggest question is what the falling Canadian dollar means for the latter city. As of today, a $500 million (US) expansion fee is almost $675 million (CAN). Then, there’s the question of whether or not Quebec has to pay any kind of territorial fee to Montreal, as was briefly discussed at the original announcement. “Can it work at those numbers?” one governor asked.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

20. He’s never explained to me how his process works, but Tortorella has a way of looking at games through scoring chances. Breaking down how they happen gives him a true picture of what occurred. In a Tampa radio interview, Tortorella said he spent last season trying to learn about analytics. So what did he uncover? “You know what, not much…There are so many red flags going on with analytics. Corsi, Fenwick…(The year he coached in Vancouver), we were 10th in puck possession and finished 25th. Last year, LA was fifth and didn’t make it. It’s so media driven, it’s taken on a life of its own. It’s not Billy Beane, it’s an instinctive sport. It’s who you are playing against, and on a shot anything can happen. You have to be careful not to be controlled by numbers. You can’t sacrifice your beliefs to get along with the norm.”

Haha, f*ck you geeks!!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

@FriedgeHNIC: 30 Thoughts -- https://t.co/TnJdo7wqHb/s/3_xu

Latest

Dobber Sports Deity

Dobber Sports Star

Just finished reading it. Really good start to the season.

Dobber Sports Pro