Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Borrrring Caps

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Borrrring Caps

Okay Bruce, they get it, now let them score a little. They gave up 1 goal tonight, but they didn't get any against the steel curtain defence of Atlanta. I guess this is the new Capitals and we should get used to it.
    They have scored 23 goals in the last 12 games and have been shut out 3 times. Bruce, as long as you score more goals than the other team, you still win. I can't see them winning the Cup playing like this. We are 50 games into the season and they do not look anything like a Stanley Cup favorite. I think the 1st 10 games after the all star game will reveal the true Capitals. We'll see.

Dobber Sports Master

It's also probably killing networks like NBC that pick up Caps games from time to time...last year they would draw huge audiences cause they were exciting...but this year they're boring.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Star

The secret to winning games as a high-powered offense is playing defense and getting shut out about 8 times by late January. I thought everyone knew that?
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Expert

The problem is the defensive system needs to be instilled during the regular season and then carried through to the playoffs... You can't just run and gun all regular season then expect to overnight turn into the defensive club overnight.

The thing is great two way teams (not one dimensional teams) tend to win through in the playoffs. Look at winner of the President's Trophy since the lockout.

2005- Detroit (out first round)
    2006- Buffalo (lost conference final)
    2007- Detroit (won cup)
    2008- San Jose (out first round)
    2009- Washington (out first round)

So winning the President's trophy and having the success during the regular season means squat for the playoffs.

What they're actually doing it planting the seeds so that they can reap the rewards during the playoffs... for us fantasy players it's a pain to watch, but the light at the end of the tunnel for them is to see if they can make a long cup run and you can't really fault them for that.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports All-Star

I know what you're saying Laid, but they haven't exactly been a great two way team. They are getting better defensively, but they won't be able to just turn it on when the playoffs start. They are built for offence so maybe they need to make a trade or two for another checker and another experienced defenceman.
    The Backstrom and Ovechkin line can pretty much outscore anyone, just look at the plus/minus from last year. Their second line is also a great scoring line, but their 3rd and 4th lines maybe a little too soft. They don't fit the role. Fehr and Johansson are not checkers. The team needs better balance.
    By the way, are you a transplanted Canadian?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Sorry I disagree. Playing a defensive style allnyear and carrying it into the playoffs only works when you can modify the system again. Otherwise every team watches video on you and can solve you. Exibit A is Jacque Martin. His inibility to switch it up come playoff guarantees failure in the playoffs. Pat Quinn had the same problem. You need two sysyems andnyou need to adapt. You also have to look at you roster and see what your strengths are. The Caps need to have a Run and Gun top line, a shut down system 2nd line, a 3rd line. Two way Secondary scoring unit and a crash and bang defensive energy line.
    Am I crazy or does their roster not suit that to a T already? Why don't they try that? You don't win games by telling Ovie not to worry about scoring. It's clearly not working.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would like Bruce to f*****' refund me in all my f****** fantasy leagues...Backstrom/Semin/Green not doing what I (as well as many) thought they would. I figured by swearing, it would get to him. ****
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Expert

The thing is that they're not really "struggling" or as bad as us couch coaches are making it out to be, I mean they're still 27-15-9 and 4 points outta 2nd place, so I mean it's not like they're struggling to make the playoffs or anything like that.

Plus the offense hasn't been that bad, they're still averaging 2.71 so it's not like they're completely NJ... Where they've really made strides it the defense as they allow just 2.45...

During the playoffs you don't need to win games 5-1, it's those tight checking 3-2, 2-1 games that get you through...

What you guys are getting upset about is that you're not seeing Ovechkin light it up with 70 goals... the truth is that the Caps are just fine the way they are. If they were struggling to make the playoffs then I can understand the complaints, but they're really not doing that bad.

Like I said what they're doing is planting the season so they can reap the rewards in the playoffs... and you need to look at the long term plan instead of just production in the regular season when it doesn't mean much to the "real-life" Caps.

And yes I'm a transplanted Canadian...
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

The Great One

Another thread like this????

Gotlaid is 100% correct and I've said the same thing (more or less) as him in another "Caps suck" thread.

Dobber Sports Stud

No, he is not.

We've discussed this ad nauseum. The stats show that they get shut out too frequently, play from behind from the first period too frequently, have poor scoring 5 on 5 and on the powerplay.

They do let up fewer goals.

They aren't as bad points-wise since they have a lot of OT games, but c'mon! These negatives are what kills teams in the playoffs.

I agree that you need to win tight games in the playoffs. You also don't need to trail after the first period 65% of the time. If you want to do further data mining, look at how many times they have came back when they trail and how many times they win in the third period when they have the lead. Those kind of stats are what strong defensive playoff teams are able to achieve.

You do need to switch styles in the playoffs. This style gives me no confidence in any of the abilities that a playoff team needs other than goaltending.

I watch almost ALL Caps games but lately have turned them off for how frustrated they are.
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Gotlaid View Post
    The thing is that they're not really "struggling" or as bad as us couch coaches are making it out to be, I mean they're still 27-15-9 and 4 points outta 2nd place, so I mean it's not like they're struggling to make the playoffs or anything like that.

Plus the offense hasn't been that bad, they're still averaging 2.71 so it's not like they're completely NJ... Where they've really made strides it the defense as they allow just 2.45...

During the playoffs you don't need to win games 5-1, it's those tight checking 3-2, 2-1 games that get you through...
    They're also 4 points from 7th and 6 points away from missing the playoffs after getting shut out by a team chasing them.

Tight checking one goal games do get you through the playoffs, but only if you win them. Losing a game 2-1 or getting shut out gets you knocked out in the 1st round.

The key to the system is to be up at the end of the 1st and then shut the other team down not fall behind early and try to see if Ovie can tie it in the 3rd for a shootout point.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.

Dobber Sports Veteran

They may be 4 points out of second but they are 7 points up on 9th. If they keep going at this rate, they are going to miss the playoffs.

They got stifled by an inhuman Halak last year. That is hardly a reason to completely over ride your system. Let them play.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The Caps don't have the right type of players to run this kind of system, plain and simple.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    The Caps don't have the right type of players to run this kind of system, plain and simple.
    Amen!

You don't lose in the playoffs by having a goalie (Halak) shut you down and respond by implimenting a system where you score less.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 93213 View Post
    Amen!

You don't lose in the playoffs by having a goalie (Halak) shut you down and respond by implimenting a system where you score less.
    Yea. I mean losing early in the playoffs sucks. But the pens were knocked out by Halak too, and they're Stanley cup winners and yearly contenders. Don't see them changing their strategy.