Page 26 of 79 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 76 ... LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Flyers

Dobber Sports Veteran

One notable name missing from among the Flyers list of invitees to this year's prospect camp:

LW Marcel Noebels.

Noebels was drafted last season as a power forward "project", and then wound up having a good junior season.

He's 6-2, 210 pounds already, decent speed, good hands, but was supposed to be considered very raw and at least a few years away.

What makes his ommission interesting is that last season Holmgren raised eyebrows when he failed to invite Matt Read to the propsect camp, there was buzz that it was a sign that the Flyers weren't enamored with his potential etc, ...only it turned out that the reason Holmgren didn't invite him, is because he felt Read was ready to make the roster and would be better served skipping the propsect camp during what figured to be a very gruelling rookie season.

So it's possible that Noebels size and defensive ability have vaulted him into serious consideration for a fourth line role with the big club.

A year ago, I would have told you that the Flyers were a very patient club when it comes to developing prospects, and the explaination was probably more something to do with a schedule or injury issue, but after watching both Read and 18 year old Sean Couturier make the club out of camp last year, I have to wonder...
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Veteran

The Flyers are reportedly talking to retired Bruin's winger P.J. Axelsson who's played in Sweden for the last three years and is interested in attempting an NHL comeback.

could be a nice veteran depth signing, although the Flyers already have 13 forwards expected back.

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post
    The Flyers are reportedly talking to retired Bruin's winger P.J. Axelsson who's played in Sweden for the last three years and is interested in attempting an NHL comeback.

could be a nice veteran depth signing, although the Flyers already have 13 forwards expected back.
    I'm really not sure I like this move. He's a depth guy, but why not let tbe young guns battle it out for a spot? I think Harry Z will battle for a spot along with Rinaldo, Sesito, Holmstrom and Wellwood.

I've also been wondering about how the new CBA will effect our team. Let's say they drop the cap ceiling by 10 million... We now have to work within those parameters instead of using that money right now and not being penalized for it in the future. So if we have 7.5 million in space right now, is it lost in the wind if we do nothing with it before the new CBA?
    The Untouchables Cup.
    C: Crosby, Giroux, J. Staal, Statsny, Desharnais
    RW: Voracek, B. Ryan, Brown, Gallagher
    LW: Parise, Landeskog, Lucic, van Riemsdyk
    D: Suter, Edler, Carlson, Girardi, Hamhuis, Giordano
    G: Rask, Luongo, Halak
    Categories:
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP,
    SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SHO
    10 Team Roto Limited Keeper
    3C, 3RW, 3LW, 2W, 1F, 6D, 2G, 3BN

Dobber Sports Master

I think Wellwood is a shoo in. He really impressed me last year.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Homer continuously continue to impress by even getting Weber to agree to sign an offer sheet.. now the Flyers have eliminated all other teams. So either Nashville accepts or lets him go.. or pull a trade with Philly. We have history with this GM. While I do not see them letting him go or trading him, atleast Homer is trying. He has coveted Weber for awhile. Maybe the Flyers have a little more money than everyone thought they did.
    Girrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooux

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kushmoney View Post
    Homer continuously continue to impress by even getting Weber to agree to sign an offer sheet.. now the Flyers have eliminated all other teams. So either Nashville accepts or lets him go.. or pull a trade with Philly. We have history with this GM. While I do not see them letting him go or trading him, atleast Homer is trying. He has coveted Weber for awhile. Maybe the Flyers have a little more money than everyone thought they did.
    It's fun to be a Flyers fan.

I'm hearing the offer is 14 years 110 million.

either 23 or 26 million of that due and payable by the start of the season, and regardless of whether the season starts or not.

the bonus money due is equivelant to over 15% of the total worth of the Predators franchise...

I'm guessing Preds ownership tells Poile to work out the best deal he can, but at the very least the Flyers have guaranteed that Weber's not on anybody else's roster in the east.

(...and that maximum contract length becomes a big issue in the CBA negotiations.)

Dobber Sports Veteran

When I saw that the Flyers had signed Weber to an offer sheet, the first thing that popped into my head was last weeks prospect camp, and how odd I thought it was that both Scott Hartnell and Danny Briere were in and out of the skate zone all week, and Holmgren really wasn't around much.

Now, I know why.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah... I'm so excited about this offer.
    Fugg - this would be so awesome to have Weber!!!
    (I guess it's a lock that Pronger is LTIR next year.)

The size on the Philly D would be insane.

Pairings?
    L.Schenn (L) - Weber (R)
    Grossman (L) - Meszaros (R)
    Timonen (L) - Coburn (R)

Dobber Sports Master

I'd like to see

Timonen - Weber
    Grossmann - Coburn
    Schenn - Meszaros

Dobber Sports Master

... But I'm still not sure that Weber will be on our team.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    ... But I'm still not sure that Weber will be on our team.
    Yeah, I have to agee.

I can't see how Nashville can afford to not match.

At least not if it's four draft picks they're getting in return, ...but I can see how they might feel it makes sense for them to accept a package of players in return, but when I get to the level of where I can see it making sense for the Predators, I'm left with a roster with some serious holes in it...

The Flyers had some surplus NHL talent going into the off season, but after losing Carle, JvR, Jagr, and Bobrovsky and bringing back basically Schenn, I can't see any surplus depth anywhere but on defense (Meszaros, and one of the young defensemen).

I think a trade that involves any of Voracek, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, or Read is going to leave them very, very thin up front at this point.

There's really no valuable prospects beyond the Gustafsson/Manning/Bourdon level so there's really no value there to build a package with either.

The best case scenario for the Flyers would be Nashville taking the picks, after that, probably the best thing that could happen for the Flyers would be for Nashville to match.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Okay, taking a stab at how this all sorts out, assuming Nashville either opts not to match, or makes a trade with the Flyers for Weber...

From a cap standpoint, adding Weber at 7.85 would bring the Flyers right to the cap while still having rfa's like Voracek, Harry Zolnierczyk, and Bourdon to sign.

Assuming Voracek is signed in the 3.5 million range, and Harry Z and Bourdon both are in the 900k range, it would leave the Flyers with 14 forwards, 10 defensemen, 2 goalies, and about 5.3 million over the cap...

There's one too many forwards, so right off the bat, either Shelley @1.1 or Harry Z (who wouldn't have to clear waivers) would likely be demoted...

The transfer of Pronger's 5 million hit to the LTI at the start of the season would get the team under the cap, ...but there are reasons why the team wouldn't want to do that right off the bat (for cap "banking" purposes), so taking a look at the teams defense aside from Pronger there's

1. Weber @ 7.85 m
    2.Timonen @ 6.33 m and a ntc
    3. Coburn @ 4.5 m and a ntc
    4. Grossman @ 3.5 m and a ntc
    5. Meszaros @ 4 m
    6. Schenn @ 3.6 m
    7. Gervais @ 825k
    8. Lilja @ 735k w/over 35 contract
    9. Gustafsson @ 900k
    10. Bourdon @ 900k
    11. Manning @ 900k and waiver exempt

(and the Flyers still have nhl experienced Matt Walker @1.7m and Danny Syvret @ 600k in the AHL)

So right off the bat the Flyers have a numbers problem in that they have 10 nhl defensemen who either have no trade clauses or would have to pass through waivers to be demoted, so assuming Manning is demoted, they still need to move two of the remaining defenders

Take out the newly acquired Weber and Schenn, and the guys with the ntc's (KT, Coburn, Grossman) and you have 5 slots already accounted for, and 5 guys left fighting for the remaining 2 or 3 max:

Meszaros, Gervais, Lilja, Gustafsson, and Bourdon.

Meszaros is easily the most accomplished of the group, but his 4 million salary isn't a good fit for a third pairing defensemen, particularly not one that's currently slated to play alongside Schenn @ 3.6 m

I think one of these third pairing guys has to go, and it seems to make more sense to hold on to the young guy with upside that you just paid a premium to acquire (although i can't help but wonder, if Holmgren's secretly wishing he hadn't made the deal right about now)

In addition, unless Holmgren can find a way to unload Lilja, he's still looking at having to lose either Gustafsson or Bourdon on waivers, so one of those three has to be moved as well.

So one of those defensemen plus Meszaros off the books puts the Flyers about 5 million under the cap which is more than enough to sign Voracek and Bourdon even with Pronger's salary still on the books, ...and then he could be transferred to the LTI sometime after the season began whenever the need should arise.

Also, the Flyers have an additional 1.4 million dollar "cushion" in that Brayden Schenn's cap hit will immediately drop from it's currently listed 3.1 million, down to 1.7 million by missing one game.

There's another potential 1.1 million available should Jody Shelly opt to retire, request a trade, or be waived or demoted (Shelly had a hard time getting on the ice last season, and keeping up with the play when he did, he's well thought of, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he's asked to join the front office)

So from a cap perspective the Flyers despite absorbing Weber's 7.85 million cap hit, are still in good shape, and if the Predators opt to work out of trade for Weber, than Holmgren's job becomes even easier because he now has an opportunity to move surplus defensemen, and some forward salary in the deal.(The issue he would then be facing would not be a cap issue, but a roster issue, with some holes to fill).
    Last edited by Flyer Fan; July 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think we're more than fine in terms of cap room. FF, you pointed out everything that I've been saying since the off-season began. We have enough cap space to not only add Weber but to resign Voracek long term AND keep Mez.

That being said, if NSH isn't happy with the four firsts, I can see a deal being worked out that will send Voracek and Mez to NSH for two picks back - specifically the one for 2014 when we host the draft.

If that's the case, we need to sign a couple of forwards to fill in some gaps. A long-shot would be Doan and an even longer shot would be Semin. Other possible targets this late in the FA period could be Huselius, Arnott, AK47, Knuble...? I kind of hope we don't give up Voracek. I'd rather give up MAB, Mez, Gus, or something along those lines.
    The Untouchables Cup.
    C: Crosby, Giroux, J. Staal, Statsny, Desharnais
    RW: Voracek, B. Ryan, Brown, Gallagher
    LW: Parise, Landeskog, Lucic, van Riemsdyk
    D: Suter, Edler, Carlson, Girardi, Hamhuis, Giordano
    G: Rask, Luongo, Halak
    Categories:
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP,
    SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SHO
    10 Team Roto Limited Keeper
    3C, 3RW, 3LW, 2W, 1F, 6D, 2G, 3BN

Dobber Sports Newbie

what do you guys think about the shane doan visit to philly tomorrow? Def seems like some moves are coming soon here.vorack trade to nashville?

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hicks1784 View Post
    what do you guys think about the shane doan visit to philly tomorrow? Def seems like some moves are coming soon here.vorack trade to nashville?
    I can understand how Weber fits in the team salary cap right now, but Doan? I'd love to have him on the team, I just can't imagine how he would fit in for fair value. Homer would have to pull some serious strings to make that one work, unless of course he already has a significant package in place to send back to Nashville. hmmmm
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar