Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Nabokov to sign with Detroit?

Dobber Sports Wizard

If the contract gets pushed to next season and Nabby doesn't report then either then he's an idiot.

One thing I'm not clear about - if his contract is pushed to next season, can he then be traded without waivers?
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Recruit

They may be playing great, but the Stars are playing even better, and will dominate/own/throttle the Sharks this year. Go Stars
    [URL=https://www.myscarfshop.com/]scarf

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Dobber Sports Wizard

35 years old, 36 years old, 37 years old.............If Nabby is truly an upper tier goalie then the opportunity to play with the Isles makes absolute sense. Use the rest of this season to get his form back, highlight his talent, and sign somewhere else in the off-season for the remaining 2-3 years that are likely left in his career. Sign with a contender after earning back his UFA status. To get UFA status, big deal, you have to play January to early April with the Isles........"big sacrifice".

If winning a cup was the priority, he never would have left for the KHL. It's the priority now because he's back in N.A.

It's basically like pulling a Lindros, holding out when not getting your own way. At least Lindors was a teenager who may have had some bad advisers. Nabby is a 35 year old man who should understand the business of the NHL more. He should take it as a compliment that teams don't let him slither through waivers to the best team in the NHL, to only make that team better.

Nabby put himself in this situation by leaving the NHL and then returning, and he knows the rules of the waiver process.

I just don't get it, all he has to do is play 3 months for the Isles, and then he has another 2-3 years where he can sign with a contender and try and win a cup. It's not like this season is the end all be all.

End rant.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Stud

Nabokov is the type of player I dislike. Go back to Russia you overrated playoff choke and joke of a goalie. I would rather have 50 year old Darren Eliot goalie my team. Nabby doesn't love the sport of hockey or he would have gladly agreed to play. Anyone else would die to get the oppritunity to come back in the league. Go back and play in the old mens league... scrub.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    35 years old, 36 years old, 37 years old.............If Nabby is truly an upper tier goalie then the opportunity to play with the Isles makes absolute sense. Use the rest of this season to get his form back, highlight his talent, and sign somewhere else in the off-season for the remaining 2-3 years that are likely left in his career. Sign with a contender after earning back his UFA status. To get UFA status, big deal, you have to play January to early April with the Isles........"big sacrifice".

If winning a cup was the priority, he never would have left for the KHL. It's the priority now because he's back in N.A.

It's basically like pulling a Lindros, holding out when not getting your own way. At least Lindors was a teenager who may have had some bad advisers. Nabby is a 35 year old man who should understand the business of the NHL more. He should take it as a compliment that teams don't let him slither through waivers to the best team in the NHL, to only make that team better.

Nabby put himself in this situation by leaving the NHL and then returning, and he knows the rules of the waiver process.

I just don't get it, all he has to do is play 3 months for the Isles, and then he has another 2-3 years where he can sign with a contender and try and win a cup. It's not like this season is the end all be all.

End rant.

Cheers.

I disagree with this, and think all this painting of Nabby as a money-grubber is unfair. And as a relatively neutral Canuck fan I think I'm reasonably objective (though I would actually prefer not to see him on the Wings, Avs, Sharks or Hawks .....but I am a Nabby owner.)

It is nothing like Lindros, who had proven nothing at the NHL level. People are forgetting that Nabby actually got a pretty raw deal last summer. Coming off a 44-win year with continued stellar numbers, he was somewhat unfairly scapegoated by the Sharks, who are hardly better without him. He was in his Prime with great numbers and rightfully looking for the final nice contract to a good career - and all he could find were junk deals for more than 50% paycuts. the KHL was the only place where he could get a contract without a paycut -- no raise, mind you. I think it showed he had pride, frankly. He was a top-tier guy for years and was being treated poorly in a buyers market.

So now he comes back for family reasons as well as to take a run at a cup and because of this stupid rule gets trapped by a bottom-feeder. IMO, there's no other way to see this -- it was clear to all starting last summer and again now that he wanted to play for a contender. He has been entirely consistent. I get that this rule exists to keep teams from stashing stars in Europe, but it is clearly a flawed rule. Unlike the Wellwoods of the world, who are lucky not to be flipping burgers, a guy like Nabby is a highly sought after commodity who has earned the right with a long & storied career to play where he chooses. Or at least, he has the right, after publicly saying he only wants to play for a contender, to sit it out if claimed by a basement team. And I disagree that Nabby would benefit from playing a few month with the Isles -- he would likely get shelled, have inflated numbers and be in a worse negotiating position this summer.

IMO, Snow is in the wrong here -- unless his plan was to say "it was worth a shot", then put him back on the wire. Otherwise, regardless if it's by the rules, he's trapping a guy who doesnt want to be there, NOT getting the player, and serving only to 1. disrupt his room, 2. de-motivate his current keepers, and 3. send a message to the nhlpa and future FAs that the Isles are a team that do not respect players' wishes. If Snow tries to toll him, that would be a complete joke -- I cannot begin to think of one possible benefit that would serve ... other than to "show him", I guess. Good luck with future FA relations, in that case.

By signing this cheap deal Nabby's shown his top goal is to compete for the cup -- this was very obvious and clear from the start. In all liklihood he went into this waiver process with a list of teams he plans to play for, and otherwise he is prepared to sit out. I say good for him -- he's earned it, and this should be news to noone.
    Last edited by tripel; January 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by tripel View Post
    I disagree with this, and think all this painting of Nabby as a money-grubber is unfair. And as a relatively neutral Canuck fan I think I'm reasonably objective (though I would actually prefer not to see him on the Wings, Avs, Sharks or Hawks .....but I am a Nabby owner.)

It is nothing like Lindros, who had proven nothing at the NHL level. People are forgetting that Nabby actually got a pretty raw deal last summer. Coming off a 44-win year with continued stellar numbers, he was somewhat unfairly scapegoated by the Sharks, who are hardly better without him. He was in his Prime with great numbers and rightfully looking for the final nice contract to a good career - and all he could find were junk deals for more than 50% paycuts. the KHL was the only place where he could get a contract without a paycut -- no raise, mind you. I think it showed he had pride, frankly. He was a top-tier guy for years and was being treated poorly in a buyers market.

So now he comes back for family reasons as well as to take a run at a cup and because of this stupid rule gets trapped by a bottom-feeder. IMO, there's no other way to see this -- it was clear to all starting last summer and again now that he wanted to play for a contender. He has been entirely consistent. I get that this rule exists to keep teams from stashing stars in Europe, but it is clearly a flawed rule. Unlike the Wellwoods of the world, who are lucky not to be flipping burgers, a guy like Nabby is a highly sought after commodity who has earned the right with a long & storied career to play where he chooses. Or at least, he has the right, after publicly saying he only wants to play for a contender, to sit it out if claimed by a basement team. And I disagree that Nabby would benefit from playing a few month with the Isles -- he would likely get shelled, have inflated numbers and be in a worse negotiating position this summer.

IMO, Snow is in the wrong here -- unless his plan was to say "it was worth a shot", then put him back on the wire. Otherwise, regardless if it's by the rules, he's trapping a guy who doesnt want to be there, NOT getting the player, and serving only to 1. disrupt his room, 2. de-motivate his current keepers, and 3. send a message to the nhlpa and future FAs that the Isles are a team that do not respect players' wishes. If Snow tries to toll him, that would be a complete joke -- I cannot begin to think of one possible benefit that would serve ... other than to "show him", I guess. Good luck with future FA relations, in that case.

By signing this cheap deal Nabby's shown his top goal is to compete for the cup -- this was very obvious and clear from the start. In all liklihood he went into this waiver process with a list of teams he plans to play for, and otherwise he is prepared to sit out. I say good for him -- he's earned it, and this should be news to noone.
    Well Said

+1
    CHL
    14 teams H2H keeper,Daily,25 man rosters
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPP,SHG,GWG,SOG, W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO
    *Keep any 8*
    Kingston Frontenacs
    C(3) Tavares, O.Jokinen, Desharnais
    LW(3) Hall, Benn, Kunitz
    RW(3) Seguin, Pavelski, Jagr
    D(6) Doughty, Pietrangelo, Edler, Suter, E.Johnson, Carle
    Util(2) Hemsky, S. Kostitsyn
    G(2) Rinne,Nabokov Anderson, Harding, Markstrom, Bishop

Bench ~ Penner, Corvo
    IR ~Cleary,Mueller

Dobber Sports Wizard

@ tripel - well put, but the fact is that Snow has already proven to be a GM who respetcs his players wishes. When Rollie asked to be moved to a playoff team he did just that for him. Without any media fuss he moved him to a good team.

Based on that, and the fact that Nabby needs to get into shape to play I don't see why he couldn't call Snow and say I need to start slow, I know you need some help in net, but I want to go to the playoffs can you place me back on waivers in a month?

And I'm sure Snow based on him being a former player and the fact that he just did that for Rollie would oblidge. Plus, Snow has to negotiate with Meehan at some point and doesn't want to piss him off.

That's how I see it anyway. If they would have just talked it out like men it could have been resolved. Also, if Nabby had no intention of reporting why put out a message that he would report to any team that will give him a chance to start? Why not be clear with where you won't go and save everyone the pain in the ass?
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 93213 View Post
    @ tripel - well put, but the fact is that Snow has already proven to be a GM who respetcs his players wishes. When Rollie asked to be moved to a playoff team he did just that for him. Without any media fuss he moved him to a good team.

Based on that, and the fact that Nabby needs to get into shape to play I don't see why he couldn't call Snow and say I need to start slow, I know you need some help in net, but I want to go to the playoffs can you place me back on waivers in a month?

And I'm sure Snow based on him being a former player and the fact that he just did that for Rollie would oblidge. Plus, Snow has to negotiate with Meehan at some point and doesn't want to piss him off.

That's how I see it anyway. If they would have just talked it out like men it could have been resolved. Also, if Nabby had no intention of reporting why put out a message that he would report to any team that will give him a chance to start? Why not be clear with where you won't go and save everyone the pain in the ass?

agreed -- there are lots of communication soundbites floating around this issue that are unclear, unconfirmed and unprofessional-sounding.

All these tweets about a spat on the phone between the two, the mixed messages between Nabby & his agent before waivers, and so on ....lots to speculate on, and it could go a number of ways that could sway my evaluation of the situation.

However despite whatever stupid thing Meehan might've said, i think it's fair to say that Nabby established pretty clearly last summer and more recently that his intention was to go to a contneder, to have a shot at the cup. I feel that's the closest thing to fact in this whole mess, and which makes me sympathetic to Nabby.

True that Snow could be planning on a number of things, including putting him back on waivers now, after a discussion, of at some point before the playoffs (though the latter seems weird as it's such a short span for him to get up to speed on 2 different teams) -- any of these would make sense.

If however he plans some strict adherence to the rule and obstinently plans to keep him against his wishes or even toll him, IMO that's poor decision-making by a GM. It's a game of relationships first and foremost, after all. I believe he knows this, so I will be surprised if he doesnt put him back on waivers.
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's for sure a dick move, but Snow's number one responsibility is to the team that signs his paycheck. Now that we know that Snow can trade Nabby after a team wins the cup without going to waivers he should do that and make his team better. That's his job. Even smarter would be to toll the contract and trade him next year. What would Nabby at that price be worth to a playoff team next year?

In any case, it's a mess.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but definitely canucks have some backroom deal with the isles to block det from getting nabby. Hahahaha
    16team H2H Keeper league. 12F, 6D, 2G & 5BN.. 4IR
    G ,A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    F:, Brouwer, Carter, Clarkson, Crosby, Datsyuk, Hemsky, Johansson, J.Jokinen, Kopitar, Lee, Lindholm, Michalek, Rick Nash, Reider, E.Staal
    D: Zidlicky, Green, Streit, Hamonic, Weber, Gudas
    G: Smith, Rinne, Greiss, Brossoit
    Farm(Lottery tickets): Bjorkstrand, Deangelo, Dvorak, Nylander, Voynov

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by pikamonk View Post
    I'm sure it's been brought up before, but definitely canucks have some backroom deal with the isles to block det from getting nabby. Hahahaha
    Maybe you're just joking, but I don't see this as a blocking move. I think they'd like to send Poulin back down, but they can't depend on DiPietro night in and night out. This looks to the Isles like an affordable solution.

Nabakov doesn't like it because he knows the Isles can't unload DP with his heinous contract.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tripel View Post

Not sure of Nabby's family situation, and respectfully wouldn't know how to comment on how it relates to his decision to leave Russia and come back to North America. Aside from that, here are my thoughts about the post above;

If it's not about money, then why sign the 4yr/24m contract and head off to the KHL??? If it was about playing on a contender first and money second, Nabby potentially could have signed a cap friendly contract here in the NHL for around $2-3 million with teams like:

San Jose - would have possibly kept him for that price.

Chicago - Nabby would have been a better signing that Turco.

Philly - I"m sure they would have thought it over, after all they didn't sign Leighton to a 2yr/3.1m contract until June 2010.

Washington - Varly,Neuvirth with cheap contracts - I'm sure they would have given Nabby a thought.

St. Louis - They may have considered Nabby before trading for Halak.

Those are just some of the options he may have had.

Unfortunately, Nabby's rep is as a goalie who chokes in the playoffs, and he never won a series for SJ when they needed him. A goalie needs to steal some games or a series for his team on a cup run, and Nabby never came close to doing so. You say Lindros wasn't even proven yet.......and you're right. But Nabby hasn't exactly "proven" himself in the playoffs.

Also, at 35 years old, he's not in his prime as your post says. Not saying he's past it, but definitely his peak years are behind him. Has he earned some respect as a long-time player - definitely. The Isles signed him because the respect his ability. Other teams in the West would have likely signed him for the same reason. And to keep him away from Detroit, because he could be the piece that puts them over the top - if he breaks his streak of poor playoff performaces that is.......

In saying all of this, the key point in my post had nothing to do with money, not sure where you got that impression from. It was all about Nabokov wanting to get his way, despite the clear rules of the waiver system. Lindros would have signed a fat contract in Quebec or in Philly, it was never about money. It is about a player wanting to play where he wants despite the rules in place - whether it's the 2011 waiver system or the 1991 NHL entry draft.

Nabby wants to play in Detroit, and the Wings hoped he made it through waivers - but he didn't. How can you fault Snow for wanting to make his team better for the rest of the year, that's his job. Also, as another post points out, Nabby should have made it clear HE WOULD NOT REPORT TO A TEAM NOT IN CONTENTION. Nabby only said HE WANTS A CHANCE TO COMPETE FOR THE STARTING JOB. Bad communication by him and his agent if what he really wanted to be with a contender first and foremost. Also, the odds of him bumping Howard out of the #1 spot would have been 50-50 at best.

Again, as I said in my previous post. Why doesn't Nabby just play it out on Long Island this year and get into game shape from now through to training camp, and I'm sure he will sign a fair contract with a contender, and have 2-3 more years to take a shot at winning the cup while making decent money.

Reality is, at the end of last season, NAbby was coming off of a 5.3m/yr contract. No team in the NHL was going to give him more than $4m, and that would probably be stretching it, and it more likely would have been $2-3m.

How little we forget the circumstances and history that led to this situation:

"During the 2003 season, Nabokov held out, refusing to sign San Jose's proposed contract. After making only US$1 million for two years of stellar play, he wanted much more. He only missed five games before the Sharks met his demands, signing him to a two-year contract.[10] When he finally signed a contract, he struggled to regain his form. Later, he remarked that holding out was extremely unsportsmanlike, and that he would never do it again. He held to his word when he avoided arbitration by signing a two-year deal worth US $4.425 million per year in 2004, even when players comparable to him were getting more than US $6 million per year.

Despite his less-than-stellar play during the 2006 season, Nabokov was signed to a four-year contract extension worth roughly US$21.5 million. The contract had a no-trade clause that was activated on the condition that San Jose made the playoffs.

Following the end of the 2009-10 season Nabokov's extension expired and he became an unrestricted free agent. He was considered one of the "big names" available in free agency, however there was no significant interest shown in him while several teams went for less-expensive options[b], and on July 7 it was reported that he had signed a $24 million dollar contract with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL"

Great discussion. But where does this leave Nabby owners in one year leagues?

What would you guys do? I'm planning on holding Nabby though the all-star break and if the Isles haven't moved done something by then let him go. What's everyone else who picked up Nabby doing with him? Is he even worth having as a goalie if he does end up playing for the Isles (which is extremely unlikely).

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Veinman View Post
    Is he even worth having as a goalie if he does end up playing for the Isles (which is extremely unlikely).
    Is it that unlikely? I don't think so, not if the Isles can retaliate and toll the contract into next season. For Nabby, that would really suck. If this comes down to a Mexican standoff, I think Nabby will blink first.

RETIRED