Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Nabokov and SKA terminates contract

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    Hey guys just read this on twitter:

darenmillard Agent for E Nabokov Don Meehan just told @realkyper and @dougmaclean he has spoken to 3 teams and @lightning were one of them
    wonder who the other two are? I still think that Tampa makes the most sense. Also a couple of people have suggested that Tampa is lpaying horrible in front of their goalies, but someone posted a stat yesterday that said the Lightning were allowing the second LEAST shots against per game but were still last in SVP and GAA. I think Nabokov would be a vast improvement.

Dobber Sports Wizard

As stated above he has been in contact with the lightning...not sure who the other 2 are yet...

Evgeni Nabokov-G-Sharks Dec. 14 - 1:09 pm et

Evgeni Nabokov's agent, Don Meehan, has talked to the Tampa Bay Lightning about his client.

The Lightning's goaltenders have struggled mightily this season, which might make Nabokov a natural fit in Tampa Bay. However, he would have to clear waivers first, which complicates any potential negotiations. If the Lightning are interested in Nabokov and sign him for too little, he'll just be claimed by another team. However, they'll probably have to eat Mike Smith or Dan Ellis' contract by sending one of the two to the minors if they sign Nabokov, making any potential contract that much less appealing financially. Stay tuned.

Source: Nick Kypreos on Twitter
    Related: Evgeni Nabokov
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Stud

....Or, could Donny be blowing smoke to increase value/interest on Tampa's part?
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
    ....Or, could Donny be blowing smoke to increase value/interest on Tampa's part?
    That is his job...Cliff Lee's agent just did it with the Yanks and Rangers to up the Phils offer since that is where he wanted to play...He took less but I am sure that the number he got from the Phils is bigger because he played them off the other 2 teams...
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Guru

Apparently Washington is not one of the teams - just read this on twitter from cmasiak (CAps beat writer)

cmasisak22 Boudreau on the goalies: "We've got two great, young goaltenders. Not good, but great, young goaltenders. We're not going after anybody else."

full article
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...e-problem.html
    Last edited by wendelclark17; December 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Doesn't really work that way. Tampa can always outbid Isles for his services and risk losing him to waivers. I'm sure Tampa's owner is willing to spend more to Nabokov than Wang is and Nabokov would probably also prefer Tampa over Islanders. If Tampa signs him I can't see Islanders even taking him from waivers. First of they don't need him. Second they can't probably afford him due to an internal budget and cheap owner . Thirdly they couldn't trade him if they pick him from waivers without putting him back to waivers before it.
    wait... what? I swear I saw this happen a year or two ago though (where someone signed a Russia UFA goalie, and then another team picked him up with their better waiver number and then traded him for a low draft pick or something to the team that signed him).

where does it say that a team loses him to waivers again if they pick him up and try to trade him? If that's the case, what's the threshold? I'd imagine at some point he'd have to become freely trade-able again right?

I've just never heard of this at all... you have a reference on it?

Also... I wouldn't think that the Islanders would be entirely against snatching him up if the price is right and then trading Roloson away if they aren't allowed to trade nabokov immediately.

If it's one thing the Isles have done well in recent years... it's getting veteran players on their team that will be marketable to playoff teams... and gaining draft picks/prospects by trading them.

Picking up Nabokov would suit these plans nicely, and I'd imagine that they'd definitely at least look into the possibility of adding him and trading him (pending rules regarding this which I inquire about above).

Apparently Washington is not one of the teams - just read this on twitter from cmasiak (CAps beat writer)

cmasisak22 Boudreau on the goalies: "We've got two great, young goaltenders. Not good, but great, young goaltenders. We're not going after anybody else."

full article
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...e-problem.html
    That's good to see... Washington planned their goalie situation well (by signing Theodore and letting Huet walk and sign long term elsewhere), it'd be silly for them to back track now... when their problem is (and has been for years), defensive support.

... That and the fact that there's not a chance in hell of them actually being able to land Nabokov via waivers lol...
    Last edited by lanky522; December 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lanky522 View Post
    where does it say that a team loses him to waivers again if they pick him up and try to trade him? If that's the case, what's the threshold? I'd imagine at some point he'd have to become freely trade-able again right?

I've just never heard of this at all... you have a reference on it?
    Look at post #46 in this thread.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Look at post #46 in this thread.
    Wow... so according to that, if nabokov signs a 4 year deal with TB, and another team snipes him... even if the team wanted to trade him 3 years down the road, he'd still have to clear waivers at that time? that's a pretty gay rule imo.
    Roster Limit(s):
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello

Dobber Sports Novice

Wow... so according to that, if nabokov signs a 4 year deal with TB, and another team snipes him... even if the team wanted to trade him 3 years down the road, he'd still have to clear waivers at that time? that's a pretty gay rule imo.
    my understanding is that he would have to clear waivers if traded in the remainder of that season, that restriction would not be in place in any future years of the contract.

Dobber Sports Guru

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

So yep DG93 is right it only applies to the remainder of the season in which the contract was signed.
    Last edited by wendelclark17; December 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM.

Dobber Sports Giant

just make sure there is a heads up on this website when nabokov is available in yahoo leagues. dobber readers deserve it.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Icon

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

So yep DG93 is right it only applies to the remainder of the season in which the contract was signed.
    ah gotcha... for some reason I skipped over that as I skimmed it the first time i read it.

still... what's the point of this rule? I don't know... I think it's more than fair... and does nothing to the "balance of the playing season" for a team in last place to sign a ufa only to then trade him to a contender.

Seems pretty stupid to me.
    Roster Limit(s):

Dobber Sports Veteran

What about the Oilers? I wouldnt really consider their goaltending to be top notch, except for khabibulins current streak. Would they possibly be interested in a goalie like Nabokov. I guess he wouldnt really fit into their current game plan, stack the team with prospects.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't see the Oilers making a bid for him. Khabby and Dubnyk are servicable - and let's face it. It's not as if a GOOD goalie will put them over the top or anything.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

After a flurry of posts, speculation and a few tweets all has gone quiet on the Nabokov front......any news out there?