Page 47 of 371 FirstFirst ... 37 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 57 97 147 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Well Tambellini managed to pick the consensus BPA.

Couple thoughts, would have loved to see management more active:

1) Would have loved for EDM to trade in the 9-11 range and get Grigorenko.
    2) Michalek/Visnovsky. For the price they commanded I would have LOVED to pick one of them up. Along with a potential Schultz signing it would make a huge difference on our blue line for a relatively cheap cost.

Smid-Petry
    Michalek-Schultz
    Schultz-Whitney

Or

Smid-Petry
    Visnovsky-Schultz
    Schultz-Whitney

Viz would have costed us a 2013 2nd. Michalek maybe Roy, 4th and random prospect?

3) I really hope we take Finn or Collberg with 32.
    Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    There are rumblings that Visnovsky is struggling with his future in the NHL and he may retire early. I wouldn't touch him as a NHL GM or a fantasy GM right now...
    I thought he addressed those saying he was disappointed with his performance and was focusing 100% on next year?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningBuddha View Post
    Final Draft 2012 count: 2 defencemen and 5 forwards.

My take: Edmonton doesn't seem particularly concerned with restocking the back end, therefore it's reasonable to assume that there is a plan in place to address our back end through free agency and/or trade. This bodes well for Oiler fans who'd like to see Schultz play for Edmonton, as does Toronto's pick of Reilly 5th overall.

With their 2nd-7th round picks, Edmonton addressed the lack of size up front with a few 6'3" forwards. It will be interesting to see if one of them will pan out and be a Lucic-type presence for the Oil in the coming years.
    The thing is, after the top end of the draft, there were no defencemen who could just step right in and help the team now. They already have a number of blueliner prospects in the cupboard and actually needed more forwards.

So it made sense to not go blueline heavy as the draft went on.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm very surprised Finn or Thrower weren't picked at 32. I think one of those two rather than Moroz may have been better long-term, but I'll defer to the scouting experts for now.
    CBS 15 Team Dynasty League (keep 4)
    G(3), A(2), PPP(1), SHP(2), DG(+2), DA(+0.5)
    W(5), S(.1), GA(-1), SO(5), OTL/SOL(2.5)

Dress weekly: 6 FW, 3 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Stamkos, Kucherov, Arvidsson, Hischier, Atkinson, Keller, Bjork, Stepan, E. Lindholm

Defense: Karlsson, Klefbom, Ekblad, Dumba, Montour
    Goal: Talbot, Elliott

I was pretty bummed they passed on finn/collberg, just as last year I was bummed when they passed on Jenner.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Zharkov pick seems incredibly intriguing. Some reports I read say he has the most talent in the draft outside of the Yak/Grig/Galch, but that he often does not know what to do with that talent (will try and skate through opposing players etc).

Also one report suggested he was quite the diver and has some big time "compete level" question marks - so I guess that's a big reason why he fell in the draft.

His post-draft interview said that he wants to be better than Yakupov and that he is essentially angry (perhaps about is draft position).

Seems like an extreme boom/bust type player that the team could afford to take a chance on at that point in the draft. If he can get his anger turned into effort than maybe he can become less of a perimeter player and become effective.

Dobber Sports Pro

I thought he addressed those saying he was disappointed with his performance and was focusing 100% on next year?
    I heard is was quite rattled after losing many friends in that plane crash in Russia. He seemed to want to in re-evaluation mode about his life and career. Maybe the summer and a trade to NYI would help his outlook?

Dobber Sports Ninja

I was pretty bummed they passed on finn/collberg, just as last year I was bummed when they passed on Jenner.
    Finn would have been a great addition, yeah.

Matt Bugg seems to really like our draft this year as opposed to some other seasons, so we'll see what happens. One of the nice things with drafting some overagers is the potential for having them jump onto the roster a little quicker perhaps - and with the team hopfully ready to finally turn into a competitor this year, that's a big advantage.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I have a feeling Zharkov at 93rd overall is going to be a gem for us. He was upset that he dropped as low as he did, and he claims it lit a fire in him to prove people wrong. That and he is quoted as feeling he can be as good as Yakupov. What better way to prove it than to play alongside him in a couple of years?

I'm also intrigued by our 6th rounder LaLeggia. Good friend of RNH's and an outstanding scorer from the blueline. 38 points in 43 games at U of Denver last year and 82 points in 58 games the previous year in the BCHL. Undersized at 5'10", but has potential home-run upside.
    CBS 15 Team Dynasty League (keep 4)
    G(3), A(2), PPP(1), SHP(2), DG(+2), DA(+0.5)
    W(5), S(.1), GA(-1), SO(5), OTL/SOL(2.5)

Dress weekly: 6 FW, 3 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Stamkos, Kucherov, Arvidsson, Hischier, Atkinson, Keller, Bjork, Stepan, E. Lindholm

Defense: Karlsson, Klefbom, Ekblad, Dumba, Montour
    Goal: Talbot, Elliott

Like the Laleggia and Zharkov picks. Still wish we took Collberg or Finn over Moroz, but I'm sure we'll see who's better in a few years.

Administrator

Moroz pick kind of reminds me of when they took Cameron Abney in the third round back in 2009. I guess it sounds like Moroz has more skill to offer but I still don't like the whole draft an enforcer early thing.

I absolutely agree with the idea of drafting bigger forwards however. Any defenseman taken out of the first round is looking at like three years of development minimum. A forward could surprise in one or two years.

Of course Finn has first round talent so I dunno but as far as prospects go the team actually has quite a few good defensemen. Just none are all that ready. So yeah, big forwards was a reasonable way to go just not sure about Moroz.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The more I read about Moroz the more I hate the pick.

We really took this guy over Collberg and Finn? =/

Administrator

The more I read about Moroz the more I hate the pick.

We really took this guy over Collberg and Finn? =/
    Yeah, any time that you are picking that high (not to say 32nd is super high but still) you really don't want your reaction to be, "Who?"
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

lol...I was coming here to complain that we passed on Finn to grab Moroz, and see that you guys have already started that campaign. I am VERY disappointed. I had Finn going in the first round and was shocked he was still available. Considering the run on dmen in the first round, Edmonton should have jumped all over him.

He isn't necessarily the answer to our problems on the backend, but he would have been a very solid addition with the potential, if he continues to develop, to exceed my expectations of him.

Generally I was very unhappy with the draft, other than Yakupov, of course.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Deity

To me its like the Oilers felt they had to choose someone off the Oil Kings to "support" them and Moroz was the best player left to be taken. I still think he would have been available in the 3rd as he wasnt rated that highly going into the draft. I may be wrong in saying that but thats just how I feel. There were plenty of other skilled players still there at 32 (most have been mentioned already) that the Oilers could have/should have taken before Moroz was taken.

Its hard to question Stu as he has normally been the only reliable thing in the franchise the past few years and I am sure he has his reasoning for making this pick, but to me the Oilers squeezed the stick too early and paniked or something with this pick.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    lol...I was coming here to complain that we passed on Finn to grab Moroz, and see that you guys have already started that campaign. I am VERY disappointed. I had Finn going in the first round and was shocked he was still available. Considering the run on dmen in the first round, Edmonton should have jumped all over him.

He isn't necessarily the answer to our problems on the backend, but he would have been a very solid addition with the potential, if he continues to develop, to exceed my expectations of him.

Generally I was very unhappy with the draft, other than Yakupov, of course.
    IMO Finn > Musil who we used our 31st on last year and Both >>>> Moroz...

I like the Yakupov, Laleggia, and Zharkov picks. Pretty much hated the rest.

FWIW, given who was still on the board at our picks, if I was drafting I would have gone:

2nd: Matt Finn
    3rd: Tim Bozon
    3rd (from LAK): Zharkov
    4th: Brady Vail
    5th: Joey Laleggia
    6th: Jesse Graham

Long story short, I really liked MTL's picks haha.