Page 40 of 371 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 50 90 140 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Can we PLEASE stop the Schenn + 5th for 1st overall talk?

Not going to happen.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post

Not going to happen.

No kidding. That would be such a stupid counterproductive move by Burkie. Same for the Hamonic plus 4th talk, that would be even more insane, Hamonic is so young and there's a good chance he'll be better than any Dman picked in the top 10 this year in terms of overall game. Pipe dream if anyone thinks the Oilers will get him at all, let alone him PLUS a 4th overall, LOL.

Schenn may well be someone Burke decides to trade, but it won't be as a 'throw-in' for the 1st overall, and doubtful in my mind that he gets traded at all.

Hamonic, I just can't see them planning to move him under any circumstances. I see him being a lynchpin on that Isles D corps for years, with De Haan and McDonald. And he's only 21!

That said it does make sense for the Oilers to engineer a trade to move down 4-5 spots or more, given the glut of solid Dmen in the top 10 this year and their obvious need for a good Dman.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Not going to happen.
    not saying thats the exact deal, i'm just trying to give an example...oilers would benefit with two top dmen instead of yakupov right? hamonic + dumba would be better than yakupov for the oielrs right?

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    No kidding. That would be such a stupid counterproductive move by Burkie. Same for the Hamonic plus 4th talk, that would be even more insane, Hamonic is so young and there's a good chance he'll be better than any Dman picked in the top 10 this year in terms of overall game. Pipe dream if anyone thinks the Oilers will get him at all, let alone him PLUS a 4th overall, LOL.

Schenn may well be someone Burke decides to trade, but it won't be as a 'throw-in' for the 1st overall, and doubtful in my mind that he gets traded at all.

Hamonic, I just can't see them planning to move him under any circumstances. I see him being a lynchpin on that Isles D corps for years, with De Haan and McDonald. And he's only 21!

That said it does make sense for the Oilers to engineer a trade to move down 4-5 spots or more, given the glut of solid Dmen in the top 10 this year and their obvious need for a good Dman.
    I'm in the opposite mindset. Hamonic + 4th, maybe. But definitely not Schenn + 5th. Maybe that's because I see Hamonic as superior to Schenn.

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    not saying thats the exact deal, i'm just trying to give an example...oilers would benefit with two top dmen instead of yakupov right? hamonic + dumba would be better than yakupov for the oielrs right?
    This may not make logical sense, but Yakupov's value is greater once drafted than as a 1st overall pick.

They can command more once he's played and it's seen what he can do.

The fact is... in an ideal world where Yakupov becomes a 90 point forward, Hamonic develops into a great #3, and Dumba becomes a 50 point #1/2 d-man... yea it makes sense. But nothing happens in a vacuum. The success rate for high-drafted forwards is farrrr greater than for high-drafted d-men. D-men are much harder to predict and take so long to develop.

Yakupov is a can't miss player who will likely step into the NHL next year and produce. Dumba won't be in the NHL next year and who knows how he'll develop.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'm in the opposite mindset. Hamonic + 4th, maybe. But definitely not Schenn + 5th. Maybe that's because I see Hamonic as superior to Schenn.

This may not make logical sense, but Yakupov's value is greater once drafted than as a 1st overall pick.

They can command more once he's played and it's seen what he can do.

The fact is... in an ideal world where Yakupov becomes a 90 point forward, Hamonic develops into a great #3, and Dumba becomes a 50 point #1/2 d-man... yea it makes sense. But nothing happens in a vacuum. The success rate for high-drafted forwards is farrrr greater than for high-drafted d-men. D-men are much harder to predict and take so long to develop.

Yakupov is a can't miss player who will likely step into the NHL next year and produce. Dumba won't be in the NHL next year and who knows how he'll develop.
    i really want to see oilers trade the pick just so i can see what the asking price is for #1 overall. probably make sense for them to keep it, but then again an arguement can be made that it makes more sense for them to trade it

i really want to see oilers trade the pick just so i can see what the asking price is for #1 overall. probably make sense for them to keep it, but then again an arguement can be made that it makes more sense for them to trade it
    If they can trade it for an established young d-man, then it makes sense. But otherwise, I think it makes more sense to keep it.

Note: By established young d-man, I don't mean Schenn/Hamonic. I mean OEL/Carlson/Bogosian, etc... and no, for the record, I don't see it happening whatsoever.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

If they can trade it for an established young d-man, then it makes sense. But otherwise, I think it makes more sense to keep it.

Note: By established young d-man, I don't mean Schenn/Hamonic. I mean OEL/Carlson/Bogosian, etc... and no, for the record, I don't see it happening whatsoever.
    phoenix wont trade OEL...doubt washington trades carlson with green sucking and possibly leaving. bogosian would be interesting...

phoenix wont trade OEL...doubt washington trades carlson with green sucking and possibly leaving. bogosian would be interesting...
    Like I said, I in no way think that will happen.

Also, I think both teams say no to Bogo/1st. Bogo's value isn't *quite* there yet for the Oilers to make the swap without a +, while the Jets value Bogo hugely as he's made big strides this year and with the potential departure of Enstrom is a pretty huge part of their d-corps.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Bogosian would be a nice fit but would likely cost too much. OEL may be let go for the right price, but what do the Oilers give up to get him.....I say give what ever it takes. The Yotes have a log jam of young d, so why not get a huge return out of one of them. Right now the stock on OEL is high. They won't let Yandle go(too bad), so make a huge pitch for OEL. He's worth it and then some.
    I also believe Carlson would be HUGE for the Oilers. Why not do the "offer sheet" thing. Carlson, like OEL would fix the problem for a long, long time. I'm a VERY fustrated fan! I'm so sick of all this talk about what they need, and nothing being done. OEL or Carlson.....just get it done. Then move on to the next issue. One step at a time.
    14 team points only league
    9 forwards (3 of each position)
    4 defense
    2 goalies
    farm team option
    Must submit top 4 pointing players back into draft at end of every season
    14 rounds
    Can only carry over 12 players each year

Quote Originally Posted by Jake44 View Post
    Bogosian would be a nice fit but would likely cost too much. OEL may be let go for the right price, but what do the Oilers give up to get him.....I say give what ever it takes. The Yotes have a log jam of young d, so why not get a huge return out of one of them. Right now the stock on OEL is high. They won't let Yandle go(too bad), so make a huge pitch for OEL. He's worth it and then some.
    I also believe Carlson would be HUGE for the Oilers. Why not do the "offer sheet" thing. Carlson, like OEL would fix the problem for a long, long time. I'm a VERY fustrated fan! I'm so sick of all this talk about what they need, and nothing being done. OEL or Carlson.....just get it done. Then move on to the next issue. One step at a time.
    Pretty sure the Coyotes would deal Yandle before OEL at this point.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Jake44 View Post
    Yeah no way that both carlson and OEL go anywheres... OEL passed yandle and Carlson is there stud 2 way... I think if you look at those teams gotta look a lil further down at orlov, gormley and runblad if anyone from those teams
    10 Team Roto League; 20 Keepers;
    Start 3C,3LW,3RW,1U,5D,2G

Stats: G,A,Pts,PPG,PPA,Pims,+/- W,Sv%,Sv
    C: Tavares Thorton H. Sedin
    LW: Moulson Clowe D. Sedin Whitney
    RW: Hossa Gaborik Pomminville Pavelski Purcell Heatley
    D: Bieska Boyle
    G: Smith Nabobov Bishop Lindback Ramo Luongo

12 teams 12 keepers
    Points Only

F: Spezza, Brown, Lecavalier, Horton, Elias, Weiss, Desharnais,
    D: Whitney, Zidlicky, Brodin
    G: Smith, Schnieder
    Farm: Justin Faulk, Ryan Ellis, Krill Kabanov

Dobber Sports Padawan

I really don't see the Oilers doing anything other than drafting Yakupov. They'll take the best player available and attempt to fix their defensive problems through trades and free agents this offseason.

They need D help now, and it would take a few years before any of the D they could draft this year would really have a meaningful impact for them.

Also since they have some decent defensive prospects in the system already, the clear cut best option is take Yakupov and make a trade to upgrade their current D lineup.
    Last edited by joeb323; May 31, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, Coyle, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Daccord

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer
    Oilers are down to 5 players for #1 overall pick according to Head Scout Stu MacGregor: Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Murray, Reinhart
    I love MacGregor... but seriously?! No Galchenyuk?

I mean they'll take Yak... but to say they're considering Reinhart and not Galchenyuk?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Totally BS as they keep the door open for someone to blow their doors off wth an offer for #1.

They are taking Yakupov.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Totally BS as they keep the door open for someone to blow their doors off wth an offer for #1.

They are taking Yakupov.
    For sure. I just find it ridiculous that Galchenyuk isn't on "the list of people were't not going to take anyway".

I'd say if for whatever reason hell froze over and we didn't draft Yakupov, Galchenyuk would be the next best choice,.