Page 28 of 371 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Sabres just have this thing where they watch their opponents skate on by. And that Hall/Eberle line blew by 'em all night.

When Hall scored approx 10 min in, SOG were 12-2 in favor of Oilers. Why the Sabres failed yet again to play a more physical game outta the gate is beyond me. Especially when Oilers were on the second game of a back-to-back.

There was a disallowed Oilers goal (Potter, I think???). Ref called goalie interference on Hemsky. Personally I thought it was a bunk call, but my point being...it was winnable for the Oilers.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    ...it was winnable for the Oilers.
    You can say that about a lot of the Oil games this year.

Despite their place in the standings, the team has been farrrrr better than last year. Glad to see progress.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    See I dunno. I didn't watch the game last night but whenever the Oilers are struggling and often after a goal I'll see Renney toss out the fourth line and it generates energy. The fourth line played dreadfully as far as the boxscore indicates but I usually like how they play.

I know that Copper and Blue guy hates Ben Eager but I don't see it. Some stuff just goes beyond stats and advanced stats. I do not think Eager is an 82 game player but for 55 games a season as an energy guy and an experienced voice in the locker room Eager has tremendous value.

So it's like I do not always agree with what they are saying.

I've also seen a ton of stuff on Copper and Blue alluding to how good Gagner is and how advanced stats show he is on track to be really good when I just see a guy who is completely redundant.
    Yeah I find Copper and Blue interesting as well, but I also thought the Renney coaching stuff was over the top. I don't always agree with what he does, but that's probably because I am wrong. The special teams are WAY better and given the disaster on the blueline he's doing "ok".

As for Eager, I hated the signing when it happened and still do. Don't see a need for him on the roster anywhere. You can see there is a player in there somewhere but unfortunately I doubt it will ever come out on a regular basis. Instead he serves to just hurt the team, with the odd flash of positivity.

Dobber Sports Pro

Im in the middle of doulos and MD in regards to Eager. I liked the signing at first and was excited to see that type of player in Edm. But he's been a huge disappointment to me; has had a small handful of effective games, and dozens of invisible useless nights with a bad penalty. Would take Hordichuk over him these days, at least he consistently plays his role.

I'm starting to feel a little frustration towards Renney as well. I think it was MD who rightfully bugged me for nit picking a great PP, but why are we the only team that rolls with 4 forwards on BOTH PP units, I only ask because we've given up a handful of shorthanded chances each game in the last couple weeks, and we've been caught in our own end with 4F's still out there after the PP a few different times. Really testing our luck.

My complaints towards Renney dont go far beyond the PP, and it's #2 in the NHL so im an idiot. But I still throw my arms in the air and claim to know better everytime Horcoff or Belanger ruin a PP setup.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with what Boom said earlier and what MD has been preaching. This team isnt that far off right now. Our top lines we have built can change the game in a hurry. Our farm team is starting to look great. Sending MP down there was a great move. Hopefully they will do the same for Lander and let him develop some chemistry with MP and Omark.

This teams biggest problem is that we need a couple more good defenders that can defend. We are still missing the top pair that this team really needs. Smid and Gilbert are amazing 3/4 guys. They can play the shutdown role and can still move the puck up to the forwards.

Petry and Sutton would be a great 5/6 paring that can bring a little bit of everything. What were really lacking is a true top pairing group that is pretty hard to come by. Whitney has been proving to me lately that he doesnt really warrant a spot on the top pairing and he isnt the type of guy we need on the bottom pairing. Peckham is a guy that needs to still work on his game to see if maybe he could develop one day. Potter would be a good 7th dman or a PP spe******t.

I would love to see the Oilers either be able or trade down to draft Dumba or Murray and then acquire a good 1/2 guy sometime this year for Gags, Hemsky, Omark, MP, bascially whatever it would take without touching the top 3.

This team can turn the corner with a couple more smart moves. We are still not really that far out of it. To make a playoff push the team has to start playing now, but realistically with a huge couple of months we could fight for a spot again.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

I'm more of an Eager hater than lover.

I really hope we pull off a trade to land us a d-man soon.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I'm more of an Eager hater than lover.

I really hope we pull off a trade to land us a d-man soon.
    I guess I should clarify. I'm no lover of Ben Eager, I just think he brings a few dimensions the Oilers do not have. Like I said, you aren't getting 82 games but if he's in your lineup for 55 and in the clubhouse all season you are getting what you paid for. He's a big guy with experience on a team lacking size and experience. You do the math. I think what leads me to want to stick up for him is Copper & Blue runs around like Eager is the plague or something.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...megadrop_story

Solid read on Smid's evolution. Kind of a trendy topic lately.

Dobber Sports Ace

Here is an excellent article on Klefbom. I was actually really impressed with his play all tourney. We will see how he does today against the high flying Russians in a huge game. I thought he was one of the better swedish defenders all tourney though. He was great in his own end and I think his offensive game will come with time.

http://oilersnation.com/2012/1/3/klefbom-the-charm
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Ace

Crazy to see Eberle now has as much points as he did last year for the team lead after only 39 games. I wasnt a big believer before that Eberle could do things on his own. Personally I was always under the train of thought that he would be riding shot gun to Hall and RNH. Its starting to look like now that he is the type of player who can carry this team on his own and not just in the last minute of a game. Im not sure if he can continue this pace, but damn it would be nice to see him hit over 75+ in just his second year

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Didn't watch the game but up 3-1 going into the third and then losing 4-3...? ugh.

Administrator

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/1/8/...disappointment

Solid round up of the Oilers first half by a bunch of different writers.

Dobber Sports Guru

Oilers have signed a two-year contract extension with Corey Potter. Cap hit is $775,000. As a Potter-owner in a salary cap league, I love this contract.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|EDM|home
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Oilers have signed a two-year contract extension with Corey Potter. Cap hit is $775,000. As a Potter-owner in a salary cap league, I love this contract.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|EDM|home
    For that price I can't complain.

In other news, Gilbert is out until February.

Also, even with the injuries they're not using Paajarvi as a top 6 player.. Are you kidding me?

#Oilers forward lines this morning: Hall-Gagner-Hemsky, Smyth-Horcoff-Jones, Paajarvi-Belanger-Lander, Hordichuk-O'Marra-Eager