Page 25 of 371 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

My opinion on this team changes so much it's ridiculous. It just seems like some of these players look great for a stretch and then become awful.

Like last year, I was thrilled at the idea of having Peckham as a #5/6 guy down the road. This year he's atrocious. Likewise, sometimes I like Horc, other times I hate him.

Gotta admit though, at this moment I'd like to see Eberle, RNH, Hall, Smid, Gilbert, Petry, Jones, Smyth, and Lander stick around.

Administrator

I like Horc, I just hate his contract. This team would be way shittier without his intangibles and faceoff skills.

I still like Peckham but he really does not have much in the way of leaders showing him what to do as a defenseman. Whitney is never in the lineup and the other true veterans on the blue line are pretty sketch. I just worry about him developing bad habits. You can win with Peckham as your 5/6 wrecking ball so long as your pair him with a smart puck moving veteran. That guy doesn't exist.

The issue I see with the Oilers is there still isn't quite that culture of winning/development you need to bring along those borderline prospects. It is getting closer though. I like the vets Tambo brought in up front. Belanger, Smyth, Eager. These guys have been around the block a few times and can show the guys what to do.

Few players on this team are complete in terms of talent and two-way play. That's why the team as a whole can continue to show flashes but is otherwise disappointing. Experience for the blue chip guys will go along way. Rome wasn't built in a day. Pining over little details with this team is like trying to read without your glasses. You'll just wind up with a headache. Take a step back and look at the big picture. It'll keep your head from throbbing.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's just at the point where I watch the games just to enjoy hockey and try to have no expectations.

Maybe one day things will turn around.

I've had next season (2012-2013) circled on the calendar since before Hall was drafted, so we'll see. Would be nice if they were at least competitive by then.

Dobber Sports Ninja

So when do we start talking about 3 straight #1 overall picks for the Oilers. After losing (barring some miracle in the last 5 minutes) to the Islanders this afternoon the Oilers have won 7 games in their past 25 and are only 8 points out of last place in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Ace

Ya their sure falling fast. I dont think they will get last place though. Maybe they can be bad enough to get Murray or Dumba this year. I think one of those guys would be huge on the backend. They also need a couple other pieces back there. I think they should still try and get a #2 guy. Smid and Gilbert would be great as 3/4 guys. Whitney has looked pretty bad this year. I always have a soft spot for Wreckhem but im not sure if he is a top 6 guy right now.

I think we need to draft a #1 dman and then look to trade a plethora of young talent like MPS, Omark and Gags for a top pairing dman
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Guru

Hartikainen recalled, Petrell down.

Any ideas where Hartikainen slots in your lineup?
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Hartikainen recalled, Petrell down.

Any ideas where Hartikainen slots in your lineup?
    Hard to be too specific but most likely somewhere in the top nine. I know he's coming up to "replace" Petrell but they have other grinders for that fourth line spot. Hartikainen has some offense and hopefully they try to use it. I have a tough time seeing him draw too much powerplay time though so it smells like he's gonna get the Paajarvi treatment.

My guess is that right now Ryan Jones is in fact hurt and will be moved to the IR shortly. I see Hartikainen in Jones' third line spot with Belanger. Not ideal but it is what it is. Hartikainen just got back from injury himself and probably isn't ready for a much bigger role.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks, MD.

By the way, is Omark close on returning and does it look like he's going to get another shot with the Oilers this year or is he possibly going to get used as a trade bait on trade deadline?
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Ninja

Potential new lines for tonight.

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Smyth-RNH-Eberle
    Lander-Horcoff-Jones
    Eager-Belanger-Hartikainen.

I expect the Oilers to get absolutely obliterated tonight.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Thanks, MD.

By the way, is Omark close on returning and does it look like he's going to get another shot with the Oilers this year or is he possibly going to get used as a trade bait on trade deadline?
    I think he'll have to show something in the minors before he gets a recall but at this point he should be dangled as tradebait. It's what's best for both sides. Omark is redundant on this team as it is currently built. Even if all they get is a mid-round pick at some point you just have to right by the player.

Omark is going nowhere in Edmonton and since he's an RFA no one is going to touch him this off-season. That means he continues to go nowhere in Edmonton or he goes back overseas. Give the guy a shot somewhere else so he doesn't have to go overseas. Maybe that's where he ends up anyway but at least you gave him a shot.

It would be nice to see Edmonton shake their current reputation of mistreating players - whether that's deserved or undeserved they need to make Edmonton a more viable destination for free agents. Proving you can do right by a player is a great way to do that.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Potential new lines for tonight.

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Smyth-RNH-Eberle
    Lander-Horcoff-Jones
    Eager-Belanger-Hartikainen.

I expect the Oilers to get absolutely obliterated tonight.
    On the road in Chicago. It's gonna be a bloodbath.

Man, I was hoping we'd at least finish out of the bottom 5 this year.

I didn't think we would finish last again this year but if Gilbert is out for an extended time we very well may

Administrator

What's up with RNH being out as well? Bottom five could be a lock.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Horcoff looked injured tonight, and Smid was in pain.

Truth be told I feel worse for OKC who is having an amazing year and can't keep any defense down there right now because the Oiler's defense can't stay healthy. Just brutal.