Page 188 of 371 FirstFirst ... 88 138 178 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 198 238 288 ... LastLast
Results 2,806 to 2,820 of 5551

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

People keep saying I'm "trolling" like I should take that as an insult. The same way Brad Marchand should take the things people say about him as an "insult".

The thing is, if it wasn't accurate, it wouldn't work. You can't beak people down 9-1 in a hockey game. Sure, I'm "trolling". Yes, it is very intentional. No, I don't plan to stop, however that is a choice, not an uncontrollable impulse. I'm showing my "true colors"? What, the true colors of a hockey fan who both A) Finds this extreme, insane, level of ineptitude hilarious and B) Finds it frustrating that this extreme, insane level of ineptitude keeps getting rewarded, and then watching that reward get turned not into success, but rather MORE EXTREME levels of ineptitude that until Edmonton did it, it was thought that that that level of ineptitude was not possible? Sure, those are my true colors. I have no issue with that.

But if you think calling me a troll is either an insult or going to convince me to stop, you're sadly mistaken. If you think lines like "that shows you are who we think you are" is going to stop me from pointing and laughing, you're going to be disappointed. You're just a keyboard warrior on an internet forum. I couldn't care less what you think of me as a person. Fact is you're judging what you would call "my character" on some written words, on a very singularly focused topic. Hell, I have no clue what type of person you are. I know your hockey views, and I know those views are very different from mine. I know the odd social opinion when they occasionally pop up in the forum, but those are fairly rare. But I would never be so FOOLISH to assume that some random things you post on a hockey forum is indicative of who you really are as a person, and what your true colors are. Gosh, doing something like that would seem about as foolish as assuming every Vancouver Canucks fan is an anarchist and an arsonist because some people started a riot after they lost in the finals. Thank god my true colors won't allow me to be as foolish as that. I guess I'm just lucky. I'm fortunate enough to know what my true character is due to the responses and interactions of the people that surround me on a day to day basis, and I'll have far more concern and consideration to those opinions than my fellow "keyboard warriors" on a random forum. I don't need to hide behind such veiled insults, I'll just continue making my comments towards a (un)professional sports organization, and let that organization's fan base take those comments as personal insults if they so choose.

The Great One

I'd like to bash the Flames but I'm one of the rare Oiler fans who actually likes the Flames also. Maybe that's because I'm not from Alberta so I don't have the same regional bias as most Edmonton/Calgary fans.

That said, I have high hopes that both teams will be good in the not-to-distant future. On paper, I think Calgary has a chance to build a playoff team. In fact, while the Oilers are soon on their way to winning a Stanley Cup, I think it would be kinda nice if Calgary could face Edmonton in the playoffs. I know it won't be much of a challenge for Edmonton, but I think it would be good for the province of Alberta. It would be nice if the "battle of Alberta" actually meant something again.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    People keep saying I'm "trolling" like I should take that as an insult. The same way Brad Marchand should take the things people say about him as an "insult".

The thing is, if it wasn't accurate, it wouldn't work. You can't beak people down 9-1 in a hockey game. Sure, I'm "trolling". Yes, it is very intentional. No, I don't plan to stop, however that is a choice, not an uncontrollable impulse. I'm showing my "true colors"? What, the true colors of a hockey fan who both A) Finds this extreme, insane, level of ineptitude hilarious and B) Finds it frustrating that this extreme, insane level of ineptitude keeps getting rewarded, and then watching that reward get turned not into success, but rather MORE EXTREME levels of ineptitude that until Edmonton did it, it was thought that that that level of ineptitude was not possible? Sure, those are my true colors. I have no issue with that.

But if you think calling me a troll is either an insult or going to convince me to stop, you're sadly mistaken. If you think lines like "that shows you are who we think you are" is going to stop me from pointing and laughing, you're going to be disappointed. You're just a keyboard warrior on an internet forum. I couldn't care less what you think of me as a person. Fact is you're judging what you would call "my character" on some written words, on a very singularly focused topic. Hell, I have no clue what type of person you are. I know your hockey views, and I know those views are very different from mine. I know the odd social opinion when they occasionally pop up in the forum, but those are fairly rare. But I would never be so FOOLISH to assume that some random things you post on a hockey forum is indicative of who you really are as a person, and what your true colors are. Gosh, doing something like that would seem about as foolish as assuming every Vancouver Canucks fan is an anarchist and an arsonist because some people started a riot after they lost in the finals. Thank god my true colors won't allow me to be as foolish as that. I guess I'm just lucky. I'm fortunate enough to know what my true character is due to the responses and interactions of the people that surround me on a day to day basis, and I'll have far more concern and consideration to those opinions than my fellow "keyboard warriors" on a random forum. I don't need to hide behind such veiled insults, I'll just continue making my comments towards a (un)professional sports organization, and let that organization's fan base take those comments as personal insults if they so choose.
    I can actual appreciate this post and agree with a lot of what you said. I may not like your tactics on this forum and may even find them a tad immature at times, but I can appreciate your honesty.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't consider pointing out that someone only has one leg to be an insult. I don't consider trolling to be an insult any longer either. Neither the person with one leg, nor the troll, can change who they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I'd like to bash the Flames but I'm one of the rare Oiler fans who actually likes the Flames also. Maybe that's because I'm not from Alberta so I don't have the same regional bias as most Edmonton/Calgary fans.

That said, I have high hopes that both teams will be good in the not-to-distant future. On paper, I think Calgary has a chance to build a playoff team. In fact, while the Oilers are soon on their way to winning a Stanley Cup, I think it would be kinda nice if Calgary could face Edmonton in the playoffs. I know it won't be much of a challenge for Edmonton, but I think it would be good for the province of Alberta. It would be nice if the "battle of Alberta" actually meant something again.
    Oilers vs Flames (where the Oilers crush the Flames of course!) in the playoffs again would be amazing.

TBH, I don't even hate the Oilers. I hate the 4 1st Overalls in 6 years, I hate that they might get Matthews as well, and I hate that yes, they're probably going to dominate Calgary for many years to come. And I do not understand how they are at the bottom of league again. Injuries is a weak, weak excuse at this point. But really I identify much more as a Penguins fan than a Flames fan. I'd love to see a highly competitive Battle of Alberta, with both teams near the top of the league again. But while the shots are there, I'm going to take them, and calling me a troll really isn't going to stop that.

Dobber Sports Star

I am actually not trying to insult you, or get you to stop. I have a pretty firm understanding that there isn't a lot I can do to try to change you, nor do I want to. I was simply making an observation based solely on my opinion. Your Vancouver fan analogy is flawed, however. I don't know anything about "Bob, from Vancouver"; it would be silly for me to judge him based on the actions of somebody else from Vancouver. The opinion I have of rataylor22 is based on the things you post on this site and the way you do it, on a regular basis.

Now, you are right. I guess after reading hundreds (if not thousands) of your posts, I still may not have a strong grasp of who you really are. I do know that you often post mocking, mean-spirited and cynical posts. Is this a true reflection of who you are? Maybe not, but it is all I have to go on. Yes, I am judging you. I think that I am one of the few people in this world who readily admits; I judge people. I also am very much aware of the fact that while I am judging others, I am also being judged. Most just don't like to admit that they do it. While I am not going to change what I feel your "true colours" are, I am certainly not going to lose any sleep over anything that is posted here. I would expect you, to not lose any sleep over any of this either.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

TBH, I don't even hate the Oilers. I hate the 4 1st Overalls in 6 years, I hate that they might get Matthews as well, and I hate that yes, they're probably going to dominate Calgary for many years to come. And I do not understand how they are at the bottom of league again. Injuries is a weak, weak excuse at this point. But really I identify much more as a Penguins fan than a Flames fan. I'd love to see a highly competitive Battle of Alberta, with both teams near the top of the league again. But while the shots are there, I'm going to take them, and calling me a troll really isn't going to stop that.
    Fair enough about hating the Oilers for those 4 x 1st overalls in 6 years. I've heard that from plenty of hockey fans. That's legitimate, but it's not like the team has been tanking on purpose, they have truly been epically bad. That level of ineptitude hasn't been seen since the Penguins:

2002 (5) Ryan Whitney
    2003 (1) Marc-Andre Fleury
    2004 (2) Evgeni Malkin
    2005 (1) Sidney Crosby
    2006 (2) Jordal Staal (Toews and Backstrom went 3rd and 4th overall)

Here's what Edmonton has drafted over the last 6 years:

2015 (1) Connor McDavid
    2014 (3) Leon Draisaitl
    2013 (7) Darnell Nurse
    2012 (1) Nail Yakupov
    2011 (1) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    2010 (1) Taylor Hall

Some pretty good players in that group, but how many are on par with Crosby/Malkin? The Oiler version could be McDavid/Draisaitl, but it took the Pens 2 years to make the playoffs from when Crosby was drafted, 3 years for Malkin.

For the record, Oiler fans aren't very happy about this brutal run of ineptitude either, so pointing out the obvious is the equivalent of laughing at a guy in a wheelchair and pointing out that he's handicapped. He's living it. He gets it. And I've got news for you, if you make posts that are considered trolling and you readily acknowledge this (almost proudly), don't tell me that you aren't like this in any other aspect of your life. A troll is a troll is a troll. A mean-spirited person who feels the need to pile on when someone is down is still mean-spirited regardless of whether you do it once or all the time.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Keep taking shots at a fan base that knows it's team has sucked hard for 6+ years. Hope it helps you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Fair enough about hating the Oilers for those 4 x 1st overalls in 6 years. I've heard that from plenty of hockey fans. That's legitimate, but it's not like the team has been tanking on purpose, they have truly been epically bad. That level of ineptitude hasn't been seen since the Penguins:
    That makes it worse, not better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    For the record, Oiler fans aren't very happy about this brutal run of ineptitude either, so pointing out the obvious is the equivalent of laughing at a guy in a wheelchair and pointing out that he's handicapped. He's living it. He gets it. And I've got news for you, if you make posts that are considered trolling and you readily acknowledge this (almost proudly), don't tell me that you aren't like this in any other aspect of your life. A troll is a troll is a troll. A mean-spirited person who feels the need to pile on when someone is down is still mean-spirited regardless of whether you do it once or all the time.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Keep taking shots at a fan base that knows it's team has sucked hard for 6+ years. Hope it helps you feel better.
    I see that as a poor analogy. And really it's because you're making it personal. You're choosing to interpret my comments as directed at the fans. Which is not something I've ever done. They've all been made towards the organization. If you want to take them personally, that is YOUR choice, but that's on you, not on me. As far as the wheelchair thing, it's more like having an acquaintance in your friends group who always shoots themselves in the foot when trying to meet chicks at the bar, and making sure they don't forget it. Laughing at a person in a wheelchair is mean. They can't help that, or fix it or change it. Laughing at the Oilers are justified. They could change it, they try to change it, they just constantly fail. Like calling a girl the wrong name as you're getting into the cab and having her go home.

The Great One

I know this has been said numerous times before by me and others, but I don't personally blame the first overall picks for the Oilers' lack of success. I blame Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish, and the rest of the management team (including the owner for not replacing the management team sooner).

I didn't expect Chiarelli to completely turn this franchise around in one season, yet so far I can't fault him for the moves he has and hasn't made. I like that he hired McLellan. I like the Talbot signing and re-signing. I like the Sekera signing. I like the Letestu acquisition because it freed up some salary by bringing in a cheaper 3rd line center who could essentially do everything that Gordon did previously. I'm growing a little impatient with the lack of a "big move" to bring in a top pairing dman, but I also realize that a deal like that is more likely to happen in the offseason and in particular at the draft. He didn't make the "big move" at last year's draft, partly because Chiarelli had only just taken over and I think it was smart to take more time to evaluate the roster and decide what pieces were best to move. In hindsight, I think that was a brilliant idea because it gave everyone time to see that Draisaitl is a #2 center and that makes RNH dispensable.

I am giving Chiarelli till this time next season before I pass final verdict on his managerial skills. If he hasn't made a "big move" by then to bring in a top pairing dman, then I will lose faith in him as well.

EDIT: Oh, I also like that he did "try" at the draft to acquire a dman further ahead in development in Griffin Reinhart. I realize that Reinhart hasn't really panned out, but that is the type of risky move I was happy to see. In hindsight, giving up a mid-first and early second round pick was a serious overpayment, but I'm happy Chiarelli made that move because it showed a willingness to take chances, which is something the previous management was afraid to do.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ninja

I see that as a poor analogy. And really it's because you're making it personal. You're choosing to interpret my comments as directed at the fans. Which is not something I've ever done. They've all been made towards the organization. If you want to take them personally, that is YOUR choice, but that's on you, not on me. As far as the wheelchair thing, it's more like having an acquaintance in your friends group who always shoots themselves in the foot when trying to meet chicks at the bar, and making sure they don't forget it. Laughing at a person in a wheelchair is mean. They can't help that, or fix it or change it. Laughing at the Oilers are justified. They could change it, they try to change it, they just constantly fail. Like calling a girl the wrong name as you're getting into the cab and having her go home.
    Fair enough. I see where you're coming from now. I'm kind of glad that you explained a little deeper. I still think you're picking the low hanging fruit here though!

I do feel like the current management has a clue and hope that the damage the old Oiler guard did can be fixed within 2-3 years (with this year as year 1). Clearly changes have to be made...or "bold moves" as Craig MacTavish once said.

Dobber Sports Deity

A good read on the Oilers dismal season.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-we...ggling-oilers/
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I love lamp.........oh and McDavid!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Banned

Mcdavid with a really bad dive.

Schultz is the example of why karma exists. Should have never left Anaheim

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post

Schultz is the example of why karma exists. Should have never left Anaheim
    Or stayed in the AHL...life was good there

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    A good read on the Oilers dismal season.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-we...ggling-oilers/
    Good read.... its obvious to me watching games that faceoffs and getting possession is key, if you are constantly chasing you will eventually get running around and out of position. I believe McDavid has the same type drive as Crosby and will work at improving in the dot to become one of the top faceoff guys in the league which will change things considerably. They've been relying on Letestu for PP faceoffs and while he has very good % overall, he constantly gets muscled in the corners for puck retrival and they lose possession, and he is not the only one guilty of this. They need changes.. I'm confident PC will do that this summer. We have the assets to pull it off and I think next year will be the year we turn it around.
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer