Page 182 of 371 FirstFirst ... 82 132 172 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 192 232 282 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 5551

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Well, I only said McDavid would have a chance at a scoring title, just like Benn and Seguin do (and Kuznetsov/Karlsson). If McDavid played a full season, he would have obviously had to pick up the pace to beat Kane (or Kane would have to slow down). This is only conjecture on my part, but I wonder if McDavid would be even better (have a higher scoring pace) if he played a full 82 games instead of only 45 games.

Regardless, even if McDavid played a full season and didn't win the scoring title, I'd still think he was the best player in the league. I think he is the best player in the league right now, and he won't be anywhere near the top of the scoring race. I just think that by this time next year, McDavid will be healthy and near the top of the scoring race (if not at the very top), and then the consensus will be that he is the best player in the league. We will never have complete agreement because even at his peak, not everyone thought Crosby was the best player in the game.

When I say McDavid is the best player in the league, I am basing that on watching him play. He is just so dynamic and can do things that no other player in the league can do. He combines Kane's stickhandling with Crosby's hockey tenacity/doggedness and Seguin's speed. No player has the combination of skills that McDavid possesses, rookie or not.
    Have you ever tried explaining Snapchat to your grandparents? That's what this is like. Some people are going to take 3 years to figure out what the early adopters can already see.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Have you ever tried explaining Snapchat to your grandparents? That's what this is like. Some people are going to take 3 years to figure out what the early adopters can already see.
    Except yea, 3 years from now, he will probably be the best player in the league. Currently, 14 games in. Is not.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Except yea, 3 years from now, he will probably be the best player in the league. Currently, 14 games in. Is not.
    well, we disagree. That is all. You can move on now.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    well, we disagree. That is all. You can move on now.
    Public forum where I can comment as much as I like? Oh right, that is in fact correct.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Not comparable at all...unless McDavid won the scoring title this season he wouldn't be the best player yet.

I think he will be one day. That doesn't mean he was the best player in 2016 if he is in 2018.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Public forum where I can comment as much as I like? Oh right, that is in fact correct.
    apparently if we don't share the same view we're stupid and "can't see it". No point arguing this really. McDavid is apparently better than Crosby ever was, after 14 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    apparently if we don't share the same view we're stupid and "can't see it". No point arguing this really. McDavid is apparently better than Crosby ever was, after 14 games.
    Who's Crosby? McDavid is already THREE TIMES as good as GRETZKY and LEMIEUX combined ever could be.

The Great One

You can argue all you want, but if you disagree and have made your point, you can now move on.

No point in continue to argue for the sake of arguing.

I don't go to the Ottawa thread to bash your opinion that Karlsson is the best dman in the NHL or to the Calgary thread to bash rataylor's opinion that Brodie is the best dman on the Flames, etc.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but it is a waste of time to argue when we should just agree to disagree. I think McDavid is the best player in the world, you guys don't. You made your point and now you can move on unless you have something else of value to add to the thread.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

I was at the game last night and sat directly behind the net (three rows from the glass), so I had a really good look at McDavid and the rest of the team. Here are my thoughts:

- McDavid is not 100% in game condition yet. That is a scary thing for the rest of the league. He made some great passes, had some exciting rushes (one in which he pulled off a Curry-esque crossover move). Because it was a blowout, he only played 13 mins which is too bad. This was my first time getting to see him play live at the NHL level. I was in Edmonton earlier in the year, but he was injured (he actually got injured the day I flew out to Edmonton). I'm actually thinking of driving to New York to watch him play on Sunday.

- Yakupov isn't fully recovered from his leg injury. At every commercial break Yakupov was skating in circles, flexing the leg, trying to keep it from tightening up (I guess). He was definitely favoring it. This is really too bad because Purcell is useless in the top 6. Hall and Draisaitl would often keep possession of the puck in the offensive zone, cycling it back and forth between each other, and almost inevitably every time the puck got to Purcell, he'd cough it up. I know Eberle has shown great chemistry with McDavid, but I'd like to see Eberle play with Hall and Draisaitl and Yakupov play with McDavid and Pouliot. We just have to wait for Yaks to fully recover from his injury. I really feel bad for Yakupov because the kid works hard every shift, but playing with Kassian and Letestu isn't going to help him put up points.

- Kassian was a force last night, using his size and long reach to create space for himself, crash the net, and generally wreak havoc on the forecheck.

- Talbot made some great saves. I'm quite happy we signed him long-term.

- Draisaitl is clearly a #2 center, and with McDavid being the #1, I think RNH is going to be traded this summer. If not for the injury, I think he would have been traded at the deadline.

- I don't think Eberle is going anywhere. We need some wingers to play with our centers, and Eberle and Hall are key pieces.

I know it was a blowout, but these are my thoughts. I watch almost every Oiler game on tv, but watching them live (and sitting that close to the ice), I really got to see a lot more. I mean, I could see Yakupov's facial expressions while he was testing the knee at every break. I could see how much the team really defers to McDavid on the ice, even though he is so young. They already look up to him and look to him for instructions during the whistle breaks, etc. This team has most of the pieces to compete for a playoff spot next year. Schultz needs to go, Nurse is a beast (he really destroyed a much smaller McCormick in that fight, but he also really threw his weight around in the corners and in front of the net all night. He is very nasty to play against). One more solid, puck-moving defenseman with size and this team is set (that isn't too much to ask for, is it? ).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Ninja

If the Oilers make the playoffs does McDavid win the Hart trophy?

Banned

Good game from the Oilers. I didn't notice Yakupov at any point in the game. They need to move on from him.

Both the Sens and Oilers need to shore up the D corps (Oilers more-so because they don't have a #1 or #2 arguably) and they both will be good for years.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Only way I see EDM getting that #1/#2 defenceman is by either combining their 2016 first-rounder with additional piece(s), or by shipping out RNH/Eberle with another asset. Maximum value would come from the 2016 first-rounder + RNH/Eberle, but I think EDM has to be patient to see if each player's value can increase. That means pairing Eberle with McDavid to see how things progress and waiting for RNH to return.

Sekera has played well and having him on the point has completely negated any use for Schultz. Couldn't be more disappointed in the guy. If he isn't dealt before or at the deadline, I would be astounded. Cannot see Chiarelli keeping a player so soft and unimposing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by marshal View Post
    Only way I see EDM getting that #1/#2 defenceman is by either combining their 2016 first-rounder with additional piece(s), or by shipping out RNH/Eberle with another asset. Maximum value would come from the 2016 first-rounder + RNH/Eberle, but I think EDM has to be patient to see if each player's value can increase. That means pairing Eberle with McDavid to see how things progress and waiting for RNH to return.

Sekera has played well and having him on the point has completely negated any use for Schultz. Couldn't be more disappointed in the guy. If he isn't dealt before or at the deadline, I would be astounded. Cannot see Chiarelli keeping a player so soft and unimposing.
    How about Lazar for Schultz

Dobber Sports Initiate

In a heartbeat!! Ott would never do it, imo. I think you might be better off trying Yak/Schultz/3rd for Lazar/Cowen... and i dont know if Ott does that.
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by marshal View Post
    Agreed Schultz is a total bust at this point. The Oilers should try and grab a 3rd round pick for him if they can, that way they salavage "something" and can avoid the temptation to re-sign him to an inflated number because of his "potential". Not that I think Chiarelli will re-sign him but trading him nips it in the butt.

Done, you draw it up and send it over to our people.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR