Page 162 of 371 FirstFirst ... 62 112 152 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 172 212 262 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 5551

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Except Ian White was a midget who couldn't impose on anyone physically.
    As a writer you are aware of the power of words. The use of the word midget is, for Little People, equated with any other hate word someone might use to describe a minority group. I simply ask you: if you were to see Little People children would you take away their humanity in the same way with the use of such a hate word?

We can discuss Petry versus Methot more if you'd like. In the meantime, and I ask this respectfully, can you consider rewording your quoted post above or even deleting it. You may not see it, and one can see you were using the m-word metaphorically, but it is offensive regardless.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCanuck View Post
    As a writer you are aware of the power of words. The use of the word midget is, for Little People, equated with any other hate word someone might use to describe a minority group. I simply ask you: if you were to see Little People children would you take away their humanity in the same way with the use of such a hate word?

We can discuss Petry versus Methot more if you'd like. In the meantime, and I ask this respectfully, can you consider rewording your quoted post above or even deleting it. You may not see it, and one can see you were using the m-word metaphorically, but it is offensive regardless.
    While mite may be viewed as a hateful term when applied in certain circumstances it is also widely used in vernacular simply as a term meaning smaller is size relative to the average. In this case, the 5'10 White is a mite compared to the average defenseman. If we have to outlaw the use of this term then there are youth sports leagues around North America who are all going to have to make a change.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Midget is also an age group in minor hockey.

http://www.omha.net/page/show/940864...eference-chart

Such hateful people in our society...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Midget is also an age group in minor hockey.

http://www.omha.net/page/show/940864...eference-chart

Such hateful people in our society...
    A number of associations are already considering changing the term/category to something else.

A simple yes or no - Would you or metal say the above quote if you were in the same room as a Little Person child or one of their family members?

A number of associations are already considering changing the term/category to something else.

A simple yes or no - Would you or metal say the above quote if you were in the same room as a Little Person child or one of their family members?
    Yes. Now what?
    @SmittysRant

I...am your father.

No I would not.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Yes. Now what?
    Well, this is a forum, which is essentially like being in the same room as 'hundreds of people'. I know half a dozen people who frequent these forums and who are also close friends or relatives to a Little Person who they love very much. They would/will be horrified when they read your answer above that it is acceptable to say the quote above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    No I would not.
    I applaud you sir for stepping in here and bringing some reason with your personal view to my question. I PM'd two of your moderators about the quote in question yesterday and also sent a private message to metal last night. Both of your moderators said the quote was fine and metal did not respond at all.

I hope now some can see how the quote in question was offensive in nature.

Hopefully we can get back to talking hockey, the Oilers, and even Jeff Petry now.

Dobber Sports Deity

Actually spoke with a couple of gentlemen who work for an NHL team in their scouting department about this last night - guys I know through work. Even showed them this thread. Needless to say they found it entertaining and said guys like you should stick to assessing fantasy hockey rather than the real life version.

They said that Methot is an elite shutdown Dman, that it takes a player of his caliber to complement a player like Karlsson. Basically Methot is operating on his own on the defensive end half of the time, that he always has himself positioned properly, that he has to be positionally sound and is a big reason why the Sens don't get torched at times because of the risks Karlsson take. They said Methot could complement any blue liner in the league and has more of an offensive skill set than people realize - that folks don't get to see that side of him due to his role as a shutdown guy.

They basically said Methot is more proven and is the guy they would want. They said Petry is a decent player and an NHL regular going forward, and acknowledged that both play different roles per say, but they couldn't see Petry ever fetching more dollars or more demand in general on the open market at any point in time.

I wish I could source them personally, but they wouldn't appreciate that.

Again, I didn't assess anything. I asked you to.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Again, I didn't assess anything. I asked you to.
    If you take the time to again read my post that you quoted regardign Methot, you will see that I summarized feedback from two gentlemen who have way more expertise than you or I. I have no reason to disagree with what they said, as they confirmed and even expanded on my assessment in a better way than I ever could.

Administrator

I've gone ahead and changed the offensive post. My apologies for offending.

Dobber Sports Master

Just as an aside, if the pros think we should stick to fantasy hockey I would like to point out that nobody on these boards would have given Clarkson that contract...

Yeah, I went there.

I think Methot is more valuable in most cases (almost certainly would be more valuable to the Oilers) but there is potential with Petry and in the right situation he might slip ahead. I wouldn't be cracking the piggy bank to get them though...
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ninja

The piece that baffles me is how little credit is given to those who voted on that poll. THe Commish guy basically said it's a bunch of guys voting that have no clue and you're basically giving little credit as well to the 19 people who voted.
    Well yeah, of course a poll on a fantasy hockey website regarding the real world value of two NHL defenseman with different styles should not be taken as remotely serious evidence of anything. Why does this baffle you? We have NO idea who the 19 people were that voted and we're supposed to take something substantial away from that? At the end of the day, some teams will value Methot over Petry and vice versa, depending on their team's needs.

Regarding your convenient discussion with a couple of members of an NHL team's scouting staff, there are 29 other team's scouting staffs that may not agree with their assessment here. Check out the NHL Entry Draft and all the differing opinions on players.

And finally, Methot was considered more for Team Canada because of the way he shot, than his overall talent level. That's not to demean Methot's talent level because I would love to see him play for Edmonton, but to say that he's significantly better than Petry is a stretch. Saying Methot is a top pairing defenseman is one way to say it, but I would call him a very good complimentary player. Someone earlier mentioned swapping Methot and Petry and see how things work out. That would truly be interesting.

Obviously, you and everyone else are entitled to their opinions and no one is wrong (it's an opinion after all), but how would anyone PROVE that one is better than the other when they play different styles and on different teams?

I've gone ahead and changed the offensive post. My apologies for offending.
    That's good to hear. Sensitivity is a good thing - especially when you are using terms that have been negatively impacting populations that have been marginalized, discriminated against and oppressed for centuries.

My recent experience on these forums in a number of threads has been that staff and moderators are always right - even when they are or could be wrong. And if anyone challenges 'staff' - then other 'staff' jump in and gang up. What almost happened in this case is you, bomb, and ericdaost thought you were right and seemed to only care about being right. The process - my complaint to a few moderators - almost ended up suggesting 'you were right' in the end about using the 'm' word inappropriately. I'm glad to see you folks reviewed this again and that you personally came around and saw the other side of this. I personally know a few people who read this and were very offended. They will be happy to see you came around.

I hope you're seeing my point here and the feedback - which is perhaps some folks here in power (whether it's intentional or not) are being a bit cliquish at the expense of cultivating a fair and respectful culture - regardless if it's a moral debate or a hockey debate.

Okay I'm done now - after all, this is the Oilers thread. Looking forward to discussing more hockey with you folks.

Administrator

And Petry takes a puck to the ribs out for the rest of the game...

Oilers blow two-goal lead...

Dobber Sports Deity

On the bright side, Yakupov is still yakkin' it up!

The Oilers have played much better under Nelson. Almost too good.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."