Page 160 of 371 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 170 210 260 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 5555

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I never said Petry was better. I have only stated that there is no proof that Methot is better, as you have seemed so sure of.

As far as the poll goes, who do you think Ev will vote for?
    So you're saying they are equal until some proof comes forward that Methot or Petry are better.

Who is Ev?

Dobber Sports Deity

Don't throw this back on me. I am still waiting to hear/see something that justifies your statement that Methot is "way better" than Petry other than him being in discussion for Team Canada. That's what started this whole thing and had me even reply to your bold statement.

And Ev is Big Ev, the biggest Ottawa Senators homer on this site. That's why I said, I wonder who he will vote for. Not everyone's vote on a poll like that will necessarily be unbiased.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Don't throw this back on me. I am still waiting to hear/see something that justifies your statement that Methot is "way better" than Petry other than him being in discussion for Team Canada. That's what started this whole thing and had me even reply to your bold statement.

And Ev is Big Ev, the biggest Ottawa Senators homer on this site. That's why I said, I wonder who he will vote for. Not everyone's vote on a poll like that will necessarily be unbiased.
    Deep down you know any rationale person on these forums will take Methot in real life any day. How does one post a poll on this site, let's do it!!!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCanuck View Post
    Deep down you know any rationale person on these forums will take Methot in real life any day. How does one post a poll on this site, let's do it!!!
    I dont know what the masses will say. The problem with your poll is defining parameters that determine "who's better". it's not like it's a fantasy question where league peripherals are there to justify a vote. Here we would be asking people to vote on things like importance to one's team, their overall skill level, etc, things like that. I don't know how you expect people to justify their vote anymore than you have been able to justify your bold statement (which you still have yet to do by the way). It would appear that you are expecting others to help justify your statement for you because you can't do it yourself.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I dont know what the masses will say. The problem with your poll is defining parameters that determine "who's better". it's not like it's a fantasy question where league peripherals are there to justify a vote. Here we would be asking people to vote on things like importance to one's team, their overall skill level, etc, things like that. I don't know how you expect people to justify their vote anymore than you have been able to justify your bold statement (which you still have yet to do by the way). It would appear that you are expecting others to help justify your statement for you because you can't do it yourself.
    Any wise person would ask others to help justify their statement. Isn't that why we come here to ask for hockey advice when we're not sure on a trade etc? Why do it alone if you can recruit others and get feedback?

I think the folks here are smart enough to make an educated choice regarding which player is more valuable in real life. Do you know how to post a poll like this?

Dobber Sports Deity

Any wise person would ask others to help justify their statement. Isn't that why we come here to ask for hockey advice when we're not sure on a trade etc? Why do it alone if you can recruit others and get feedback?

I think the folks here are smart enough to make an educated choice regarding which player is more valuable in real life. Do you know how to post a poll like this?
    Of course I do. I will create one to help either justify or shoot down your theory (at least as far as the masses here think at the very least).

Stand by

Dobber Sports Icon

Methot is a product of his partner and the fact that he plays with one of the best offensive defenseman in the modern era. Would i say he's a team canada caliber player...maybe but he's certainly not one of the first guys I call.

I can say I don't watch a lot of Petry so I can't say if he's any good or not but I can say his team is not one that lends itself to a good showing for defense and point production comparisons.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    Methot is a product of his partner and the fact that he plays with one of the best offensive defenseman in the modern era. Would i say he's a team canada caliber player...maybe but he's certainly not one of the first guys I call.

I can say I don't watch a lot of Petry so I can't say if he's any good or not but I can say his team is not one that lends itself to a good showing for defense and point production comparisons.
    To give you a comparable, Petry is like the Ian White of today.

Dobber Sports Deity

Well the vote is rolling. As I expected, no one is really running away with the vote. I am sure there are some Senators fans (Ev) who voted for Methot simply because he plays for Ottawa and I am sure there are Oilers fans who voted for Petry just because he plays in Edmonton, and not because they think one D is actually better than the other. For the record, I abstained from voting all together.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/poll....do=showresults

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...-vs-Jeff-Petry

Administrator

To give you a comparable, Petry is like the Ian White of today.
    Except Ian White was a mite who couldn't impose on anyone physically.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

I think that poll proved a point. That Methot is worth about 20% more than Petry in terms of contract value, 4.9m/year for Methot to Petry's 4m/year is around a 20% margin - similar to the poll.

Honestly, if more people voted for Petry that would be scary.

Regardless, most people would draft Methot before Petry if starting a real NHL team today. Thanks posting the poll Axemen.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think that poll proved a point. That Methot is worth about 20% more than Petry in terms of contract value, 4.9m/year for Methot to Petry's 4m/year is around a 20% margin - similar to the poll.
    Huh? A poll on a fantasy hockey website with what, 20 votes, and you are saying that it proved that one player is worth more than another!!? That's quite a stretch, considering that I suspect most of the people who frequent these forums are NOT in the actual hockey industry and are ill-equipped to make that assessment. This was more like the All-Star game voting and we all know how much knowledge the average fan has when it comes to the stars of the league, let alone players of Petry and Methot's ilk. What you and I think is truly irrelevant. NHL GM's will determine these player's relative values.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Huh? A poll on a fantasy hockey website with what, 20 votes, and you are saying that it proved that one player is worth more than another!!? That's quite a stretch, considering that I suspect most of the people who frequent these forums are NOT in the actual hockey industry and are ill-equipped to make that assessment. This was more like the All-Star game voting and we all know how much knowledge the average fan has when it comes to the stars of the league, let alone players of Petry and Methot's ilk. What you and I think is truly irrelevant. NHL GM's will determine these player's relative values.
    This place seems to be full of knowledgeable people from my experience. I think you're underestimating the folks who post here and vote on these polls - for the most part people seem to know what they're talking about.

The general point here is (in my opinion) Methot is the better own in real life over Petry. I'm a Canucks fan first, but believe it or not I quite like the Oilers and Flames too - much more than I like the Sens. If I was voting with my 'heart' then Petry would have been the choice. But honestly, Methot is the obvious choice here.

Administrator

Honestly, if more people voted for Petry that would be scary.

Regardless, most people would draft Methot before Petry if starting a real NHL team today. Thanks posting the poll Axemen.
    Yeah that's not a proper conclusion from those results. Never mind the fact that a ~20 person sample isn't something to make conclusions from but you also can't intuit that a player is 20% better than another because 20% of polled individuals prefer that player. You want to determine how much better one player is than another then that's a different poll. The only conclusion I'm drawing from this is that Methot is deemed to be a better player by some but not enough to draw any further conclusion.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Yeah that's not a proper conclusion from those results. Never mind the fact that a ~20 person sample isn't something to make conclusions from but you also can't intuit that a player is 20% better than another because 20% of polled individuals prefer that player. You want to determine how much better one player is than another then that's a different poll.
    That poll is all we have to work with at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    The only conclusion I'm drawing from this is that Methot is deemed to be a better player by some but not enough to draw any further conclusion.
    Fair enough. The limited evidence we have suggests Methot is the better player according to 60% of those who participated. And if Methot's considered the better player, chances are he gets the better contract. If you can show me evidence otherwise, let me know.

I guess we'll see what Petry signs for in the Summer, but I doubt it will be a Methot type deal and chances are it's around 4m/year at most.