Page 159 of 371 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 169 209 259 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 5551

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Administrator

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCanuck View Post
    Petry is a decent 5/6 dman. Oilers overpay for enough guys (Pouliot/Fayne), there is no need to overpay for Petri too.
    How are they to know if they'd overpay if they don't even try and I disagree with your assessment of his ability.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    How are they to know if they'd overpay if they don't even try and I disagree with your assessment of his ability.
    Potentially a 4/5 dman at best, but at most they should pay 3.5m/year - and that's at the very high end salary wisee. On most teams he will be a 5/6 guy.

The Oil need dmen so they should at least make the attempt if the price is right - totally agree with you on that one.

Administrator

Potentially a 4/5 dman at best, but at most they should pay 3.5m/year - and that's at the very high end salary wisee. On most teams he will be a 5/6 guy.

The Oil need dmen so they should at least make the attempt if the price is right - totally agree with you on that one.
    Going rate for a defenseman that can walk and chew gum at the same time is $4 million a year. He warrants more given his mobility, puck-moving skills and UFA status. This guy isn't going to flip your team on it's head but for 20 minutes a night he can be totally serviceable. Ideally, you get him at a home-town discount but that rarely happens. You need guys like this to transition to the next generation. The Oilers have put so much investment into young talent that they can afford to overpay a little for veterans that can actually help. Let's say you give Petry $5 million a year for three years. Overpay on money but not on term. Guess what, you can still put out a defense group for under $20 million if you are paying entry-level prices for guys like Klefbom, Marincin and Nurse. The plan is to move forward with those three as mainstays on the blue line. Let Petry do some heavy lifting while they continue to get their feet wet. Force them to earn their roster spots and minutes from skilled veterans. Instead the Oilers go forward with this "succession plan" where they just hand every big name rookie a job. They'd started to turn the corner waiting on Nurse and Klefbom, now not being willing to even see what it would take to sign Petry? WTF? Seems like they are intent on having a spot open for Nurse. Or maybe their internal scouting/analytics folk really don't like what Petry offers and figure they can do better. It's exasperating for me to see one of the few players this team has actually developed in-house just get pushed out the door without an attempt.

Going rate for a defenseman that can walk and chew gum at the same time is $4 million a year. He warrants more given his mobility, puck-moving skills and UFA status. This guy isn't going to flip your team on it's head but for 20 minutes a night he can be totally serviceable. Ideally, you get him at a home-town discount but that rarely happens. You need guys like this to transition to the next generation. The Oilers have put so much investment into young talent that they can afford to overpay a little for veterans that can actually help. Let's say you give Petry $5 million a year for three years. Overpay on money but not on term. Guess what, you can still put out a defense group for under $20 million if you are paying entry-level prices for guys like Klefbom, Marincin and Nurse. The plan is to move forward with those three as mainstays on the blue line. Let Petry do some heavy lifting while they continue to get their feet wet. Force them to earn their roster spots and minutes from skilled veterans. Instead the Oilers go forward with this "succession plan" where they just hand every big name rookie a job. They'd started to turn the corner waiting on Nurse and Klefbom, now not being willing to even see what it would take to sign Petry? WTF? Seems like they are intent on having a spot open for Nurse. Or maybe their internal scouting/analytics folk really don't like what Petry offers and figure they can do better. It's exasperating for me to see one of the few players this team has actually developed in-house just get pushed out the door without an attempt.
    No way Petry should get 5m/year. Heck, Brodie just re-signed for 4.8m/year for three years. Petry can't even tie up Brodie's laces.

Look at Methot's extension, 4 years/19.6m = 4.9m/year. Methot is a way better player than Petry.

Petry at 4m/year for two years could be worth it. A three year deal is too long.

Dobber Sports Deity

How do you figure Methot is "way better" than Petry. What gives you any indication that he is any better. I'd love to hear your reasoning on that statement.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    How do you figure Methot is "way better" than Petry. What gives you any indication that he is any better. I'd love to hear your reasoning on that statement.
    Proven shutdown Dman. Methot was even mentioned in talks for Team Canada's Olympic team last year. You could never say that about Petry.

From your view, who is better - Petry or Methot?

Dobber Sports Deity

Proven shutdown Dman. Methot was even mentioned in talks for Team Canada's Olympic team last year. You could never say that about Petry.
    That's it? That's all you have? That is what makes him a "way better" player than Petry? I'm sorry but you'd have to do a lot better than that to prove he's a "way better" player than Petry and worth $4.9M and say Petry isn't worth that much.

And for the record, Petry is American so you will never hear Petry's name in discussions for Team Canada.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

No way Petry should get 5m/year. Heck, Brodie just re-signed for 4.8m/year for three years. Petry can't even tie up Brodie's laces.

Look at Methot's extension, 4 years/19.6m = 4.9m/year. Methot is a way better player than Petry.

Petry at 4m/year for two years could be worth it. A three year deal is too long.
    4.8M vs. 5M you are splitting hairs. Also Brodie is not SOOOO much better than Petry as you are alluding to. I'd love to see Petry skate with a partner like Giordano. He'd look really good too.

Methot way better than Petry? Give your head a shake. Enough with the hyperbole. These are matters of degree if there's much difference at all. Similar class of player all of them.

The fact you continue to back track on how much Petry is worth shows me you don't have a full grasp on this. Not two posts ago Petry was worth $3.5M at max. Now he's worth $4M. Won't be long before he's worth $4.5 at which point we're splitting hairs again.

That's it? That's all you have? That is what makes him a "way better" player than Petry? I'm sorry but you'd have to do a lot better than that to prove he's a "way better" player than Petry and worth $4.9M and say Petry isn't worth that much.

And for the record, Petry is American so you will never hear Petry's name in discussions for Team Canada.
    You're proving my point in a way, Canada was a better team than the US. And not once did you hear Petry's name in roster talks for the American Olympic team. Yet Methot was on the cusp of making Team Canada. Hamhuis barely beat Methot out for a spot.

Why does one have to post a thesis to say that Methot is worth 1m more per year than Petry. Seems like a reasonable statement in general. If you have the time, let us know why Petry is worth the same as Methot.

You avoided the question - who is better in your view - Petry or Methot?

4.8M vs. 5M you are splitting hairs. Also Brodie is not SOOOO much better than Petry as you are alluding to. I'd love to see Petry skate with a partner like Giordano. He'd look really good too.

Methot way better than Petry? Give your head a shake. Enough with the hyperbole. These are matters of degree if there's much difference at all. Similar class of player all of them.

The fact you continue to back track on how much Petry is worth shows me you don't have a full grasp on this. Not two posts ago Petry was worth $3.5M at max. Now he's worth $4M. Won't be long before he's worth $4.5 at which point we're splitting hairs again.
    Nah, I was coming around a bit to your argument that Petry can chew gum and skate, therefore could maybe be worth 4m/year (at the very, very most).

Dobber Sports Deity

The reason why Methot's name was mentioned in Team Canada talks was due to a shortage of Left handed shots on the blue line and they were looking for shut down guys. Thats one of the main reasons Vlasic and Hamhuis made the team. Canada has an abundance of excellent Right handed shots but lacks a lot of high quality Left handed shots.

And I didnt avoid the question. I didn't even see a question posted to me. As far as who's better, it's hard to say. I am sure not confident to say one is "way better" than the other because I have no proof of that type of statement. I'd love to see Petry skate regularly with Erik Karlsson and see what kind of D he might be, instead of having to be the D who carries his partner along (who normally seems to be a rookie or a less than quality D). Different situation for both guys so it's hard to compare them in my eyes.

The reason why Methot's name was mentioned in Team Canada talks was due to a shortage of Left handed shots on the blue line and they were looking for shut down guys. Thats one of the main reasons Vlasic and Hamhuis made the team. Canada has an abundance of excellent Right handed shots but lacks a lot of high quality Left handed shots.

And I didnt avoid the question. I didn't even see a question posted to me. As far as who's better, it's hard to say. I am sure not confident to say one is "way better" than the other because I have no proof of that type of statement. I'd love to see Petry skate regularly with Erik Karlsson and see what kind of D he might be, instead of having to be the D who carries his partner along (who normally seems to be a rookie or a less than quality D). Different situation for both guys so it's hard to compare them in my eyes.
    So a neutral stance then until Petry and Methot both have a chance to play with the same D partner?

I do remember Team Canada's selection process included the need for left handed Dmen, but still a pretty significant kudos to Methot for being mentioned in the process and being close as a selection.

Methot is a better player. Maybe post a poll somewhere - chances are the majority will believe Methot is the better Dman.

Dobber Sports Deity

I have a neutral stance because I don't have any proof that one D is any better than the other. I haven't seen you put up anything that would sway me one way or the other as well.

You can post a poll but it will only offer the same thing you are offering, personal opinions with zero facts. If anyone can offer any facts that can sell me that one is better than the other, then by all means.

Again, I am not saying one is better than the other. I just don't see how you can be so sure of it when all you have is "he was mentioned in discussions for Team Canada". If that's the case then I guess Petry must be the better D because we have heard his name in trade talks for weeks now, and I don't recall Methot's name being overly talked about. Teams must be more interested in Petry so that makes him the better choice for other teams and the better D. That type of theory holds as much water as yours does.

I have a neutral stance because I don't have any proof that one D is any better than the other. I haven't seen you put up anything that would sway me one way or the other as well.

You can post a poll but it will only offer the same thing you are offering, a personal opinion with zero facts.
    From what I've seen on these forums, there are mostly very knowledgeable hockey people. Are you saying their opinions wouldn't have some merit without posting a bunch of facts to back them up.

I have as much responsibility here to show you numbers regarding why Methot is better as you have to show why Petry is better. Obviously neither of us could be bothered with 'research' so why not post a poll - it's better than nothing.

Dobber Sports Deity

I never said Petry was better. I have only stated that there is no proof that Methot is better, as you have seemed so sure of.

As far as the poll goes, who do you think Ev will vote for?