Page 13 of 370 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Just throwing this out there, but I really like our Sutton acquisition. With him, Smid, and Peckham we actually have a couple solid defensive-minded guys.

Administrator

While I agree with you Dyz, at this point any acquisition the Oilers make with the words "defense" and "man" involved is a good one. But yes Sutton makes us tougher to play against AND he will stand up for the youngsters. As far as I'm concerned it should be all rookies/sophomores and then a bunch of fighters.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Last night was exactly what I want to see from the team. They played fast, hard, competitive hockey and still lost. We aren't ready to win quite yet. Our blueline still needs some work and our guys need more experience. We might as well lose some more games and snag a nice draft pick for our troubles. I don't want the top pick. We don't need it. But anywhere after that would be great. I'd personally love to see Ryan Murray in an Oilers uniform. Or Matt Dumba... Or... well I'm getting ahead of myself. The important thing is the kids are competing hard and giving their opponents fits. That's all we can ask for at this point.
    i agree with you here, we came up short at the end, but to see the fire and passion those kids were playing with was exactly what we were missing all last year. we kept up with one of the better teams in the NHL. All of those draft picks sound great but ya i would like to see them progress and maybe climb 5-7 spots up the standings. If not im afraid that this maybe the end of tambi.

And I agree with you 100% DYZ on Sutton. The guy has been a warrior out there and is really helping with the PK and punishing guys in our own zone. We havent had anybody like that since Smith. Its gonna be an exciting season for sure. Hopefully tambi is working that phone and can get us some more help on the back end for Omark/Gags
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Quote Originally Posted by diamondback87 View Post
    i agree with you here, we came up short at the end, but to see the fire and passion those kids were playing with was exactly what we were missing all last year. we kept up with one of the better teams in the NHL. All of those draft picks sound great but ya i would like to see them progress and maybe climb 5-7 spots up the standings. If not im afraid that this maybe the end of tambi.

And I agree with you 100% DYZ on Sutton. The guy has been a warrior out there and is really helping with the PK and punishing guys in our own zone. We havent had anybody like that since Smith. Its gonna be an exciting season for sure. Hopefully tambi is working that phone and can get us some more help on the back end for Omark/Gags
    I feel ******ed for saying this but I don't mind our D too much.

Sutton, Peckham, Whitney, Smid are keepers IMO. None of them other than Whitney are top-2 pairing type of guys but we have Marincin, Klefbom, Petry, plus probably another stud d-man from this coming years draft in the pipeline... Obviously none of those guys help us out now though.

Administrator

I mind it. Sutton offers us a lot but he's nothing more than a bandaid. Smid and Peckham are solid but as you say not top pairing material. Whitney is a top guy but he cannot stay healthy. I barely count him as a part of our future. As for those future guys, I have yet to see anything that makes me more than cautiously optimistic about their possible contributions. The point being, it's a long way from perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I mind it. Sutton offers us a lot but he's nothing more than a bandaid. Smid and Peckham are solid but as you say not top pairing material. Whitney is a top guy but he cannot stay healthy. I barely count him as a part of our future. As for those future guys, I have yet to see anything that makes me more than cautiously optimistic about their possible contributions. The point being, it's a long way from perfect.
    Not saying it's good by any means, but I wouldn't mind us keeping Sutton around. Provides some leadership, some grit, and some solid defense. And Whitney, yea, bandaid boy and questionable whether he'll be in our future plans. But ATM he's the best we have (when he's in the lineup anyway)..

Dobber Sports Ninja

I thought Sutton played really really bad last night and is a big liability on the ice.

On other news there are some rumblings of an Oiler/Bluejackets trade in the works. No idea how legitimate, but not sure I personally see much that would interest me coming back to the Oilers from Columbus.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I thought Sutton played really really bad last night and is a big liability on the ice.

On other news there are some rumblings of an Oiler/Bluejackets trade in the works. No idea how legitimate, but not sure I personally see much that would interest me coming back to the Oilers from Columbus.
    Wouldn't mind their first round pick!

Dobber Sports Ace

other than picks im not sure what we could get from them, maybe savard or dekanich but for me i dont really see a reason at this point on making deals like this. i would more like to see the oilers trade with the canes or leafs
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Quote Originally Posted by diamondback87 View Post
    other than picks im not sure what we could get from them, maybe savard or dekanich but for me i dont really see a reason at this point on making deals like this. i would more like to see the oilers trade with the canes or leafs
    Franson! Come to Edmonton!

Dobber Sports Ace

thats what im hoping for dyz, i think he would be perfect and is that young 2 way guy that we need so badly, that being said we need just about any NHL dman

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Banned

Oilers may finally be close to a new arena:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378101

If they can get the go ahead and break ground asap they should be able to get it built in time for the team to be a real contender and make good revenue off of

Dobber Sports Ace

robin brownlee was right as he usually is

whitney is going to play in his first game tonight
    http://oilersnation.com/2011/10/18/a...e-way-i-see-it

i wish i wasnt working during this game, its gonna be a great one, hopefully the Nuge can show calgary what a good draft pick looks like

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Ninja

Completely baffled.

Oilers cannot score goals to save their life and tonight one of the main lines that is able to actually generate chances and offense (RNH/Hall/Eberle) are benched for most of the third period.

Hall - 14:21
    RNH - 13:22
    Eberle - 13:24

By comparison:

Belanger: 17:38
    Ryan Jones: 17:42
    Smyth: 23:30
    Horcoff: 23:42

Now don't get me wrong, these veterans need to be out there and get some good ice time as well, but when you can't score goals you need guys who can on the ice. What the hell!!!!

So frustrated....ugh.

Can't believe that happened. Ugh.

Also I take back what I said about Sutton awhile back haha. Peckham also hasn't looked great.