Page 118 of 371 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 128 168 218 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 5551

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I think you're too hard on RNH. His offense hasn't been as high the last to years because EDM can't seem to find any other center to play defense. RNH has had to do some ridiculously heavy lifting on the defensive side.
    I don't think I'm too hard on RNH. He's disappointed his fans to date...since his first season. I think that's a fact. Why that's happened may very well be because of what you've stated which is true. But that's what comes with being the #1 overall pick. So far HALL is the only one they've had that has lived up to expectations. (Let's not even talk about yak in this thread) RNH also had the physical part of his game that needed to mature (if nothing more than from a stature standpoint). He needs to bulk up to catch up to his height and shed those "Frail" descriptives.

I feel RNH still has a lot of room for growth in his game and I hope we will done day see him hit his projections and maybe even his upside.

Not being too hard... just hopeing for continued and expected growth.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I have high, high hopes for Nugent-Hopkins, but I am really worried that he just won't have the physical size to do what his skill and brain is capable of. Lots of time for him yet though.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I have high, high hopes for Nugent-Hopkins, but I am really worried that he just won't have the physical size to do what his skill and brain is capable of. Lots of time for him yet though.
    I think the size thing is way overblown. When has his size ever caused him to get injured? I mean sure, he had the shoulder injury, but that came from falling awkwardly into the boards, not being too small. Then it just kept getting reinjured because it never healed properly. Now it is. I know he is "small" but he's a smart enough player that he can more than make up for that.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think the size thing is way overblown. When has his size ever caused him to get injured? I mean sure, he had the shoulder injury, but that came from falling awkwardly into the boards, not being too small. Then it just kept getting reinjured because it never healed properly. Now it is. I know he is "small" but he's a smart enough player that he can more than make up for that.
    My main concern isn't injury (though I do have some concerns there) but with effectiveness. He plays in a division of giants who smash you and push you around like a rag doll and that has hamepered his effectiveness thus far in doing what he needs to do. Like I said though, he's a brilliant hockey player, so I'm not too down on him yet. He still has all sorts of signs that point to a great career.

On another note what do you guys think about Bogdan Yakimov? Lowetide has a good write up on him today and his KHL numbers are pretty nice looking. Have to figure it'll be a real transition going from the big ice to the AHL though (which is where he will start - can't see him making the NHL out of the gate)

The Great One

I'm not worried so much about the injury issues (though it is somewhat of a concern). I'm more worried that his size prevents him from making space for himself, protecting the puck, and allowing him to do what he is capable of doing. I know he came into the league and everyone talked about his "elusiveness", but I haven't seen a lot of that at the NHL level. He still has time to get there, but right now I feel he plays too much of a periphery game because his size holds him back.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

ok, for the record I posted my reply before I saw Doulos' reply
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I was like THEYRE THE EXACT SAME ahah

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Hahaha, I was confused when I read your post as it almost looked identical to what I had written!

The Great One

Hahaha, I was confused when I read your post as it almost looked identical to what I had written!
    me too...we must have clicked reply at the exact same time...too funny
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Ninja

So Tyler Dellow (mc79hockey.com) looks like he was hired by the Oilers today (or it became official today). He's a big analytics guy and has been extremely critical of the Oilers, so the fact that they would hire him is interesting. He's a pretty prickly personality, but the fact that he can piss a guy like Steve Simmons off so much is a plus in my book. Going to be interesting to see where this goes.

Dobber Sports Deity

So Tyler Dellow (mc79hockey.com) looks like he was hired by the Oilers today (or it became official today). He's a big analytics guy and has been extremely critical of the Oilers, so the fact that they would hire him is interesting. He's a pretty prickly personality, but the fact that he can piss a guy like Steve Simmons off so much is a plus in my book. Going to be interesting to see where this goes.
    Ya I was reading this info this morning as well. I guess its all about the #fancystats now-a-days. Hopefully he can bring something viable to the table for the Oilers.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Maybe have to refollow him on twitter. His analysis of the Oilers as a team I was always a fan of, but he tweeted a ton of extra stuff that really started to annoy me. It seemed like half the time he wanted to be taken seriously and the other half he tried to be like The Royal Half/Fear the Fin but he wasn't very good at that second aspect and it really turned me off him.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah, I was never a fan of him personally due to his personality. I guess his work has been good, but he truly believed he is smarter than NHL GMs, so hopefully he can add perspective without getting frustrated that he's not being listened to on every single point.

Dobber Sports Icon

Maybe have to refollow him on twitter. His analysis of the Oilers as a team I was always a fan of, but he tweeted a ton of extra stuff that really started to annoy me. It seemed like half the time he wanted to be taken seriously and the other half he tried to be like The Royal Half/Fear the Fin but he wasn't very good at that second aspect and it really turned me off him.

Definitely a smart guy when it comes to the analytics side of things. I generally enjoy his twitter posts for that reason, although a few have annoyed from time to time (eg, he made a comment one time about soccer diving that demonstrated a lack of knowledge of the sport, that irked me).

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Yeah, I was never a fan of him personally due to his personality. I guess his work has been good, but he truly believed he is smarter than NHL GMs, so hopefully he can add perspective without getting frustrated that he's not being listened to on every single point.
    He does always seem to think he was always right. I also think he says stuff to "prove" he's smart sometimes and I don't think it works. He wrote an article at the start of last year saying that they needed to either take Hall or RNH off of PP1 because of their "handedness" saying it didn't mesh together, which I think is misguided.

I'm of the opinion you need to find a PP setup using your best players, not find players to work in a PP setup. Eberle has good tight in hands. Yakupov is your best shot. RNH is your best passer. Hall is your best player. Find a way to use those talents together, not "we should setup our PP in this five man formation, now what players can we slot in where?"