Page 117 of 370 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 127 167 217 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 5550

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Taylor Hall actually is better defensively than people give him credit for. No Selke winner, but he's not hurting the team as much as a guy like Eberle is. I become less and less a fan of Eberle every time I watch him play. Lots of offense, but leaves a lot of other hockey skills on the bench. When you have guys like him, Yakupov (still young, and still lots to learn - love the guy but ...), Gagner, and Schultz as your top end players....you're just not going to be a good team defensively.

They got rid of Gagner, which is great, but is Purcell much better defensively? I'd have to look into it, but I'm not certain.

Yakupov will hopefully be marginally better this year in that regards. I'm not sure he'll ever be that good though. The thing is that's ok IF the Oilers had him surrounded with guys who were smart in their own end. I just think if they could move a guy like Eberle for a much more well-rounded player then the team overall would really improve. They did a good job insulating Schultz with some better defensive guys as well. give him the primo powerplay time and a partner that can cover for his offensive wanderings, and the team might be okay.
    I agree with you 100%. That's exactly it.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ninja

The Oilers need a Ryan O'Reilly. Slot in a great two-way guy to send out when Nugent-Hopkins and Hall are done cycling things to death for a shift - would be amazing.

Realistically though I'm not sure who the Oilers could even acquire for Eberle and it sounds like the Oilers don't even want to entertain moving him.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Taylor Hall actually is better defensively than people give him credit for. No Selke winner, but he's not hurting the team as much as a guy like Eberle is. I become less and less a fan of Eberle every time I watch him play. Lots of offense, but leaves a lot of other hockey skills on the bench. When you have guys like him, Yakupov (still young, and still lots to learn - love the guy but ...), Gagner, and Schultz as your top end players....you're just not going to be a good team defensively.

They got rid of Gagner, which is great, but is Purcell much better defensively? I'd have to look into it, but I'm not certain.

Yakupov will hopefully be marginally better this year in that regards. I'm not sure he'll ever be that good though. The thing is that's ok IF the Oilers had him surrounded with guys who were smart in their own end. I just think if they could move a guy like Eberle for a much more well-rounded player then the team overall would really improve. They did a good job insulating Schultz with some better defensive guys as well. give him the primo powerplay time and a partner that can cover for his offensive wanderings, and the team might be okay.
    I've basically said since day 1 that EDM should move Eberle over Yakupov in a trade. I've always seen Eberle as weak defensively, and if you're keeping 1 of those 2 for offense I will take Yak over Ebs. Plus Ebs probably has more trade value. I agree it seems like EDM doesn't want to trade Eberle, but I think they should. In terms of effort, I think Eberle takes a lot more nights off than guys like Hall, Nuge, and Yak. especially Hall and Yak. He takes a lot of flak but it always seems like the kid hustles, just doesn't really know exactly what to do.

I really dislike when people call Yak a lazy player, because its just not an accurate description of his game.

The Great One

Yakupov works very hard, but like Bure, it is all offense all the time. He is sooo much like Bure in the way he cherry picks and drives hard to the net when he gets the puck. He also isn't afraid to go hard into the corners and fight hard for the puck. He is not a lazy player, but people want him to be more defensively sound, which just isn't in his makeup. It bugs me so much that the team drafts him for his offense and then complains that he can't be a good 3rd line checker. Give me ****ing break.

I really like Eberle a lot, but I agree that it makes sense to deal him if the return is good enough. The problem with dealing Eberle, however, is that he has committed himself to the Oilers long-term and if the Oilers were to bring in someone like O'Reilly, would he want to stay in Edmonton long term? I'd hate to give up Eberle for two years of O'Reilly (as an example). I do agree that O'Reilly is the type of player we need in the top six.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I do agree that O'Reilly is the type of player we need in the top six.
    Yep. This team needs the Ryan Smyth of 10 years ago. Or, Ryan O'Reilly.. Smyth was grittier, but you get the point.. All heart on the ice, two-way effort, veteran hockey smarts.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

So guys like Brian Boyle and not Benoit Pouliot??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Guru

Yakupov will switch his number from 64 to 10 so all you Yakupov fans will need to buy a new jersey.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost....id=DL|EDM|home
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Damn. I never had a Yak jersey, but 64 was way cooler than 10

The Great One

Bittersweet day for me...pulled the trigger on a deal giving up Hall for Backstrom (F), Schultz, and Draisaitl.

I hate giving up my boy Hall, but I've added some much needed depth to my team and with Schultz and Draisaitl, I still have a piece of the Oilers. I just really hope Schultz puts it all together and becomes a solid 45-50 pt dman and that Draisaitl is able to put up >50 pts in the 2015-16 season.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Yes, exactly. Heart and soul, hard work guys. Examples to follow.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Master

Bittersweet day for me...pulled the trigger on a deal giving up Hall for Backstrom (F), Schultz, and Draisaitl.

I hate giving up my boy Hall, but I've added some much needed depth to my team and with Schultz and Draisaitl, I still have a piece of the Oilers. I just really hope Schultz puts it all together and becomes a solid 45-50 pt dman and that Draisaitl is able to put up >50 pts in the 2015-16 season.
    I think that is a really good deal. Hard to give up Hall, but you got a very solid return. Hall is as talented at Backstrom. Neither are generational greats, but both are perennial all-stars. The Schultz and Draisatl means you keep some orange and blue blood. Well done.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    It's not either/or, it's both. Isn't Pouliot an awfully hard worker these days?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Say it ain't So Dawg!!!!!!

My flag is flying at half mast for you. I get your need...but I can't EVER see myself letting Hall go (The fact he's my kids favorite player and I'd personally be shunned at home is an added incentive to hold strong).

I'm not sure about Shultz yet but Draisaitl REALLY entrigues me. Do you see him locking up that #2 C role? How is he in comparison to RNH? Could his presense light a fire under RNH's ass? Anything to see RNH finally come of age!

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post

My flag is flying at half mast for you. I get your need...but I can't EVER see myself letting Hall go (The fact he's my kids favorite player and I'd personally be shunned at home is an added incentive to hold strong).

I'm not sure about Shultz yet but Draisaitl REALLY entrigues me. Do you see him locking up that #2 C role? How is he in comparison to RNH? Could his presense light a fire under RNH's ass? Anything to see RNH finally come of age!
    I think you're too hard on RNH. His offense hasn't been as high the last to years because EDM can't seem to find any other center to play defense. RNH has had to do some ridiculously heavy lifting on the defensive side.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post

I'm not sure about Schultz either, but I think the potential is there to mooch off Hall and the (what should be at least) potent power play.

Draisaitl intrigues me too, but I'm not expecting miracles. I think by default he will assume the 2C role at some point soon (if not late this season, then by the season after). But that is pinning a lot of expectations on a young player. He definitely has the perfect game and size to be a 2C. That said, even in a full season, I don't expect anything more than 40-45 pts this coming season and I cautiously hope for 50~ pts in 2015-16.

no doubt Backstrom is a downgrade on Hall, but how much really? I see them both as PPG players. Because Hall is younger, I like him more, but is the difference equal to Schultz and Draisaitl? I guess it depends on whether or not they reach their potential. If Backstrom equals or is within 10 pts of Hall by season's end, and either Schultz or Draisaitl hit 45 pts, I'm way ahead in this deal.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap