Page 92 of 607 FirstFirst ... 42 82 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 102 142 192 592 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I just want Gomez out of town.
    Amen! That day can't come fast enough...

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Akkei View Post
    Re Gomez: the problem I can see however is that (if I am not mistaken) the buyout window under the current CBA opens after the Stanley Cup finals are over and closes on June 30th. The Habs will therefore have to decide what they want to do with Gomez before there is an agreement on the new CBA. They may take their chances that the new CBA will have a free buyout period and bury Gomez in Hamilton if it does not happen.
    You are right about the buyout period. That is what I would do...either way, I would bet my house that Gomez has played his last game as a Hab...unless management is real serious about that 2013 lottery pick.

Administrator

Gomez used to get the same label as Brian Campbell - a decent player but way overpaid. Campbell is paid over 7 million but you could argue that his play in Chicago warranted around 5 million. Based on his NYR days, Gomez was probably worth about 4-5 million.

But this past season Gomez took it to another level. I would argue that he was among the worst players in the entire league, regardless of salary.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

Gomez used to get the same label as Brian Campbell - a decent player but way overpaid. Campbell is paid over 7 million but you could argue that his play in Chicago warranted around 5 million. Based on his NYR days, Gomez was probably worth about 4-5 million.

But this past season Gomez took it to another level. I would argue that he was among the worst players in the entire league, regardless of salary.
    I get that he was brutal and that Habs fans are done with him. I just wonder if his brutal play is linked to the constant criticism. The guy was a horrible addition the minute the Habs got him.

I've got to wonder if he couldn't bounce back in a new situation. The drive isn't there now -- could it be with a new, fresh setting? I have a hard time thinking he went from 70 point threat to nothingness overnight.

Maybe it's naive, but that's what I'd be spinning if I were the Habs ownership and trying to deal him. Time will tell I suppose.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    I get that he was brutal and that Habs fans are done with him. I just wonder if his brutal play is linked to the constant criticism. The guy was a horrible addition the minute the Habs got him.
    I think the poor play comes from poor conditioning linked to a long lucrative contract. He can still skate like the wind but he's always crawling back to the bench at the end of a shift. Plus his backchecking is non-existant.

He might do a bit better in a new situation but I see nothing in his level of play that suggests he'll be anything more than a depth player.

Administrator

Interesting twist in the GM search:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392870

Dobber Sports Padawan

According to Pierre Lebrun, the Habs asked the Wings the permission to speak with Jim Nill.

Also, according to Michael Farber, Nill is not interested in the job.

Nice to see that they are exploring every avenue, from unilingual candidates (Nill) to really unexpected ones (Hextall, robitaille).

Dobber Sports Immortal

Ansar Khan:

@Real_ESPNLeBrun Nill's 5-year deal (this was 2nd year) doesn't allow him to take GM job with another team until the final season.
    Way to shut Pierre down, Ansar

Administrator

Another article covering the GM search:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...h-what-we-know

Dobber Sports Padawan

Concerning the GM search, the Habs asked the Minnesota Wild the permission to speak with Blair Mackasey.

A 56 years old Montrealer, perfectly bilangual, he is the Director of Player Personnel for the Wild. He has a vast experience in scouting.

Administrator

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2012/04...ool-draft.html

Just thought I'd post this here because of the brilliance and the Habs flavour that is included. This one is a classic.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    Concerning the GM search, the Habs asked the Minnesota Wild the permission to speak with Blair Mackasey.

A 56 years old Montrealer, perfectly bilangual, he is the Director of Player Personnel for the Wild. He has a vast experience in scouting.
    At least they're exploring different options rather than following the Gauthier method and making one phone call before accepting.

Dobber Sports Icon

Canucks out, cue the intensification of the Alain Vigneault back to Habs speculation.

I for one would love to see that, he's a much more mature and established coach now than he was in his first stint with the Habs, with tons of playoff coaching experience and having had to deal with a similarly rabid fanbase and media group in Vancouver (plus he's lived through what it's like to coach in Montreal).

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Canucks out, cue the intensification of the Alain Vigneault back to Habs speculation.

I for one would love to see that, he's a much more mature and established coach now than he was in his first stint with the Habs, with tons of playoff coaching experience and having had to deal with a similarly rabid fanbase and media group in Vancouver (plus he's lived through what it's like to coach in Montreal).
    There wasn't really an issue with his coaching the first time. His firing came during a time period of short-sighted decisions that led the Habs down the road that currently sees them in the cellar of the league.

Dobber Sports Padawan

There wasn't really an issue with his coaching the first time. His firing came during a time period of short-sighted decisions that led the Habs down the road that currently sees them in the cellar of the league.
    Guys like him, Julien and Therrien were rookies at the time, were given horrible teams to work with, and management's only way to adress the problems on the ice was to fire the coach.

I would like to see any of them come back behind the bench... but my money is still on Roy, for a lot of bad reasons.