Page 82 of 607 FirstFirst ... 32 72 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 92 132 182 582 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Eric, and all other Habs fan,
    Do you think Pierre Gauthier should/could have match the offer from LA with Subban and their first pick?

Howson would have jumped all over that offer, and for good reason, Subban will prove to be MUCH better than Jack Johnson over his career, and I'd wager pretty much every GM in the league would value him much higher than JJ. He is a future franchise dman and will be Norris contending before long - for all his promise, JJ will never get to that level. And then you would be throwing in potentially a top 3 or 4 pick next year on top of that? We do need a big Cman, but not at that price; thank you God this never happened, what an absolutely horrible trade that would have been, as if we don't have enough reason to string Gauthier by his testicles already (although I did like the Gill and Bourque trades and hopefully he can get something for Moen, Campoli and Kostisyn if they're not going to be re-signed).

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Eric, and all other Habs fan,
    Do you think Pierre Gauthier should/could have match the offer from LA with Subban and their first pick?
    The last thing the Habs need is another malcontent with a big/long contract.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Default Canadiens 1, Capitals 4

Tonight things feel different as I write this. I've been saying for a couple months that the season was over and that the team would not be a playoff contender. Even though I believed it strongly, tonight actually felt like that last nail in the coffin. I feel like this might turn out to be a eulogy.

Another thing I was preaching all along was that the Habs needed to change the culture and reward hard work and production. To an extent that has taken place. We have the Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty line which is the unquestioned top trio for the team. But everything else is a big ball of mud. Until tonight Scott Gomez was still getting more ice time than Lars Eller. This time Eller was on Plekanec's wing so he finally saw the ice time he deserves. Yet somehow Louis Leblanc, a young guy with a bright future who is actually playing very well in the NHL right now gets eight minutes.

For all the points that Tomas Kaberle gets, he is a major defensive liability. On the first goal he looked like he wasn't even trying (sound familiar?). How does he get more ice time than both Alexei Emelin and Rafael Diaz?

I really hope the team gives Carey Price some time off down the stretch. There is no need to burn him out to push for wins because there is no playoff drive to happen. The last two games it appears as though the losing is getting to him. It's just a slump but there's no need to turn this into a full quarter-season of misery. It's time to see what Peter Budaj is made of in anticipation for next year should he be needed for longer stretches.

The ones who stood out the most to me offensively were Rene Bourque and Eller. Both had several chances even though most of them were botched. The effort was there for them and it stood out.

I have a feeling that I might be back here giving my thoughts on some trades. Andrei Kostitsyn, Travis Moen and Chris Campoli should for sure be gone. Lesser possibilities are Tomas Kaberle and Yannick Weber. Unfortunately, Gomez will not be traded. He's not just overpaid at this point, he's become one of the worst players in the league. I truly believe that.

As much as it's a downer right now, just remember that this is as low as it will get. This team has a much better foundation of youth than a lot of other teams that finally decide to do some selling. I really look forward to the draft and free agency and I am stoked to see who will be leading the Habs into next season.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Tonight things feel different as I write this. I've been saying for a couple months that the season was over and that the team would not be a playoff contender. Even though I believed it strongly, tonight actually felt like that last nail in the coffin. I feel like this might turn out to be a eulogy.

Another thing I was preaching all along was that the Habs needed to change the culture and reward hard work and production. To an extent that has taken place. We have the Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty line which is the unquestioned top trio for the team. But everything else is a big ball of mud. Until tonight Scott Gomez was still getting more ice time than Lars Eller. This time Eller was on Plekanec's wing so he finally saw the ice time he deserves. Yet somehow Louis Leblanc, a young guy with a bright future who is actually playing very well in the NHL right now gets eight minutes.

For all the points that Tomas Kaberle gets, he is a major defensive liability. On the first goal he looked like he wasn't even trying (sound familiar?). How does he get more ice time than both Alexei Emelin and Rafael Diaz?

I really hope the team gives Carey Price some time off down the stretch. There is no need to burn him out to push for wins because there is no playoff drive to happen. The last two games it appears as though the losing is getting to him. It's just a slump but there's no need to turn this into a full quarter-season of misery. It's time to see what Peter Budaj is made of in anticipation for next year should he be needed for longer stretches.

The ones who stood out the most to me offensively were Rene Bourque and Eller. Both had several chances even though most of them were botched. The effort was there for them and it stood out.

I have a feeling that I might be back here giving my thoughts on some trades. Andrei Kostitsyn, Travis Moen and Chris Campoli should for sure be gone. Lesser possibilities are Tomas Kaberle and Yannick Weber. Unfortunately, Gomez will not be traded. He's not just overpaid at this point, he's become one of the worst players in the league. I truly believe that.

As much as it's a downer right now, just remember that this is as low as it will get. This team has a much better foundation of youth than a lot of other teams that finally decide to do some selling. I really look forward to the draft and free agency and I am stoked to see who will be leading the Habs into next season.
    Very well said I couldn't agree more.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Icon

Honestly, apart from that little 4-game winning streak that injected some hope, I've been looking at this team in exactly this way for the last month and a half, especially once Gionta was out for the year and it became clear Markov wasn't going to be returning.

This is actually a PERFECT scenario for the Habs, and I really can't understand why Habs fans should be down - well I can understand, any year without playing in the playoffs is a major downer in Montreal, but unlike other such years this one has a major silver lining as far as next year is concerned, and that is the combination of:

- A potential top 2 or 3 pick next year, a Yakupov, Dumba, etc.
    - The return to health of Gionta and Markov, which will do wonders for the team including especially in the lockerroom. I'm especially excited about Markov being such a postiive influence on Emelin and helping him progress even more given his great and much--needed contributions this year.
    - The continued progression of Eller, Subban, Emelin, Diaz and having Leblanc on the squad for good so he can start his own progression at the NHL level (much more than the 8 minutes he's getting now).
    - Having a bona fide no 1 line of Desharnais/Cole/Pacioretty for a full season.
    - Return to form of Plekanec after an off-year, he and Gionta could be a perfect twosome for Bourque.
    - Getting rid of Gomez, both from cap hit and crappy player perspectives.
    - Making some deadline trades to get draft picks and prospects, to replace all those we traded away in recent years.
    - The continuing dominance of the lower leagues by Gallagher, Beaulieu, the continued progression of Tinordi, Kristo.
    - The firing of Gauthier and hiring of a real GM, and potentially the hiring of a Carbonneau to replace Cunneyworth (I like Cunneyworth but think Carbonneau would e such an asset, won't make those "freshman coach" mistakes this time around).
    - Having a healthy Ryan White back and seeing what he can do, same with Geoffrion as a 3rd/4th line energy guy.
    - Subban maturing even more and becoming a true franchise defenseman - all the distractions in the rear-view window. Yesterday he said "I want to be one of the best defenseman ever." It's not just bluster, this kid can do it and the confidence is an indication that he knows he can if he works hard and improves all around. In 5 years, this guy, with Price, will be the face of the Montreal Canadiens and what gives us the best chance at bringing in yet another Cup.
    - All of the above giving Carey Price a feeling that the team is definitely headed in the right direction, and signing a monster long term deal to stay with us for the next 10 years.

These are all reasons to be hugely optimistic going forward. I frankly could care less about this year, would rather see them lose out and have Edmonton go on a winning streak so that we finish 29th.

As soon as next year, mark my words, this could not only be a playoff team but could make similar noise to 2010. It's an underrated mix of very solid young players and great veteran presence and leadership, with a franchise goalie and an up and coming D corps with good puck movers, and more size upfront than we've had for many years.
    Last edited by ross10019; February 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Administrator

If the Habs are to make any kind of turnaround, it has to start from the top. I hate that mediocrity has been accepted for so long. They need a GM that doesn't accept BS and isn't just trying to sound media-savvy. Bob Gainey should have been that guy but with the things going on in his life I don't think he has it in him anymore.

I'm only 25 years old but I've seen how much things fall apart when there's a crack in the foundation at a certain point. Everything below the "problem area" becomes a mess.

As much as they need change within the roster, the most important hire is the general manager. If this part is botched, forget about it. They might fluke their way to a playoff appearance here and there but will never grow to the elite.

Dobber Sports Icon

If the Habs are to make any kind of turnaround, it has to start from the top. I hate that mediocrity has been accepted for so long. They need a GM that doesn't accept BS and isn't just trying to sound media-savvy. Bob Gainey should have been that guy but with the things going on in his life I don't think he has it in him anymore.

I'm only 25 years old but I've seen how much things fall apart when there's a crack in the foundation at a certain point. Everything below the "problem area" becomes a mess.

As much as they need change within the roster, the most important hire is the general manager. If this part is botched, forget about it. They might fluke their way to a playoff appearance here and there but will never grow to the elite.

I wouldn't worry about Gauthier being around after this year, he's gonzo. We still have to worry about who they give the job to, but there is no shortage of good candidates out there.

Dobber Sports Icon

Just saw a tweet from someone saying Gomez sent down to ECHL Wheeling Nailers in contemplation of a trade. Probably complete bullcrap, but wonder if anyone else has seen anything.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Just saw a tweet from someone saying Gomez sent down to ECHL Wheeling Nailers in contemplation of a trade. Probably complete bullcrap, but wonder if anyone else has seen anything.
    Considering Gomez would first have to placed on waivers before he could even be send down and that didn't happen today at noon. Also no player can be sent to ECHL (unless they give their consent or they are on their ELC), this is clearly bullcrap.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Considering Gomez would first have to placed on waivers before he could even be send down and that didn't happen today at noon. Also no player can be sent to ECHL (unless they give their consent or they are on their ELC), this is clearly bullcrap.

Yup, thanks Carcillo. Freakin' a-hole tweeters. Then again the "established" rumor guys aren't any better.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I've been a fan of this team for over 20 years and I've seen some good runs and even a couple Stanley Cups. What is going on in Montreal right now is embarassing. Front Office can't actually be thinking "stay the course" can they?

I can't say that I've ever wanted the Habs to lose in all the years I've been cheering for them but this is one of those times where squeaking into 10th place does them no good. I know the team isn't and won't lose on purpose but it doesn't mean I'm not rooting for it.

Gauthier has done nothing but make the Habs look ridiculous and I seriously hope his time is done. I've spent too much time ridiculing Sens and Leafs fans to have my team go on a 10 year plummet to the basement.

Figure it out Molson and do something to fix it!

/Rant Over!
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Administrator

I sincerely hope the Habs part ways with Gomez the same way they gave the boot to Georges Laraque. Seriously there's a handful of players in Hamilton that can do his job adequately.

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah I'm ready for a tanking as well...I just won't watch them...
    Then as soon as next year I think we contend for division title. Hopefully a stud GM comes in and picks his coach and cleans up this crap. FOr now, I'd be happy with them trading all that they can. Get Grigerenko...and things will look up again.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Administrator

Default Canadiens 2, Panthers 4

Another game, another step towards the inevitable. In this game it seemed like there were as many empty seats on the Canadiens' bench as there were in the audience. That may be the case tomorrow as well as the trade deadline is upon us. Expect to see a couple deals. Expect to see a lot of Aaron Palushaj, Louis Leblanc and Blake Geoffrion down the stretch. But for now let's stick to the game that just took place.

PK Subban had a strong game tonight aside from getting caught up in some of the scrapping between the teams. He did a good job getting shots on net and scored a goal on the power play in the first period.

In terms of the UFA watch, Andrei Kostitsyn played 11 minutes, Chris Campoli was scratched and Mathieu Darche was out with injury. Travis Moen is still out from his injury suffered a while back.

The top line continues to show up and play hard. David Desharnais had two points and Erik Cole had an assist. The trio was the only one in the thick of things all game.

Kudos to Ryan White for taking on Erik Gudbranson. He is constantly fighting bigger people. He added four hits in 11 minutes.

Overall this time is simply too easy to play against. When on the power play, the Habs do not take advantage of having an extra man on the ice. Why not use that extra man as support when doing the dump-and-chase? Instead, the other team gains possession way too easily and is constantly sending the Habs back in their own end.

Defensively, the Habs are not aggressive enough and give the zone way too easily. They also get caught in their own end too often which leads to penalties and goals.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't think it has been posted here, but according to Pat Hickey from The Gazette, Plekanec could be willing to waive his no trade clause:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...e-clause-agent

I've been wondering for a couple of weeks now what kind of return would Plekanec fetch if he was traded.

And what if he is packaged with picks/prospects?

With the emergence of Desharnais, and the need to give more ice time and better linemates to Eller (who could easily become a bigger version of Plekanecin the near future) and the strong possibility of drafting a big center at the next draft (Grigorenko), Plekanec could be expendable.

Don't get me wrong. I think that Plekanec is a consumate professional, and I don't have anything negative to say about him. His work ethic is amazing, and he does show up for every game.

But if a big scoring winger (ala Bobby Ryan) can come to the Habs in return of Plekanec and other assets, it is worth it.

Your thoughts?