Page 74 of 607 FirstFirst ... 24 64 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 84 124 174 574 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Icon

Habs back in action tonight, and I just had a mildly satisfying thought.

For weeks now, I've been pulling for the Habs to LOSE lots of games, simply so we can get a very high draft pick next year with all the rewards that come with that (Mackinnon please!).

It is certainly a strange feeling to be pulling for the Habs to lose, I can't remember ever feeling this way.

Then what do they do? Most recently, they proceed to destroy the NHL's best in the Red Wings just prior to the break.

So it got me to thinking, are we not in a position where we might, for a brief spell, be in a win win situation as fans? If they win, with every game, we get closer to a (admittedly unlikely) playoff spot and the excitement ramps up. But with every loss, we get closer to the bottom and a great draft pick.

While a playoff spot at this point is admittedly a long shot, we do enjoy a stretch of sometime like 9 of the next 12 at home, so a long winning streak isn't out of the cards.

I guess the only drawback, and a major one, is if we end up in that awful 9th/10th position, just out of the playoffs but without a solid draft position to show for it.

So please, make it all or nothing boys!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Default Sabres 3, Canadiens 1

Some Habs fans were blindly optimistic heading into the all-star break after a couple nice wins. I get the impression that instead of carrying momentum through the all-star break the players spent more time reading articles stating the team has a 17% chance of making the playoffs. Tonight's game was flat and appropriate for a team that now finds itself in the 14th spot in the East. I won't spend a ton of time, but I'll highlight the positives. Just know that for the most part the team lacked spark.

The top line (Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole) was solid once again. They produced the team's only goal (Pacioretty) but they need support from the other lines. Too many innocent bystanders.

Carey Price was phenomenal and earned the first star. He stopped 36 of 38 and did everything he could to keep the team in the game.

Alexei Emelin was outstanding again. He had five hits and four blocks. It's pretty amazing to see the effect he has on the opposition's forwards.

Top goats: Hal Gill, Scott Gomez, Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Kostitsyn

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post

For weeks now, I've been pulling for the Habs to LOSE lots of games, simply so we can get a very high draft pick next year with all the rewards that come with that (Mackinnon please!).
    I have the same feeling...I am not cheering for them to lose, but it does not bother me all that much when the other team scores. It is a really weird feeling, but on the bright side, there is not a game with which I'm not happy with the ending. As you said, wini-win.

The only thing that is wrong with your post, is that the Habs will need to suck two seasons in a row to get MacKinnon, who is not available in the upcoming draft. I hope that I won't have to cheer for the other team two years in a row

Administrator

Just to expand on my goats of the night...

Hal Gill: He blocks a lot of shots primarily because he can't move. As with most old players, the longer you stick with them the more you're playing with fire in terms of approaching the end of the cliff. He has been good for the Habs over three seasons but at this time he is more valuable as a 6/7 dman on a contender. Last night he was on for the first two goals including a bad blown coverage on the game-winner.

Scott Gomez: Somewhere along the way he lost his hockey sense as well. He skates 100 miles an hour all over the place but is rarely in good position - offensively or defensively.

Tomas Plekanec: He is fantastic defensively but does not grab the bull by the horns offensively. He needs to pay the price more and set the tone for his line. His prolonged slumps hurt the team far more than others because of the ice time he gets.

Andrei Kostitsyn: He had a "bad Kostitsyn" night which has been far too common in his career. He made a bad read while attacking the Sabres' net and the turnover led to the Sabres' opening goal. Instead of going to the outside and driving to the net he turned to the middle where the Sabres' defensive coverage was set. Otherwise he was very mediocre.

Administrator

All I'm going to say right now is that they better be talking with Alexei Emelin's agent about a contract extension immediately. Dude's a keeper.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Eric,
    Now that everyone will agree that the Habs will be sellers in February, wich players do you see moving and what type of return do you think we can get for each of those.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Eric,
    Now that everyone will agree that the Habs will be sellers in February, wich players do you see moving and what type of return do you think we can get for each of those.
    My candidates:

Andrei Kostitsyn - might re-sign but I prefer seeing him gone. He might fetch a late 1st depending on how other pieces fall. But 25-goal wingers will be in high demand so you never know. I think he'll actually fetch a 2nd and a young player.

Travis Moen - he'll be in high demand because of his total package game. I think he is worth a 2nd.

Mathieu Darche - Not sure if there is any interest but if there is he could be worth a 4th or 5th

Petteri Nokelainen - Like Darche, not sure if there is any interest. He's not worth anything more than a late pick.

Hal Gill - Lots of teams want him. He might bring back a 2nd.

Chris Campoli - terrible acquisition. I would take a 4th for him and be happy with that.

Yannick Weber - he's a bit redundant on this team and hasn't been able to sustain good play at any point in his career. Rafael Diaz is a better alternative. Weber probably gets swapped for another struggling prospect.
    Last edited by ross10019; February 1, 2012 at 2:57 PM.

Administrator

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/blog.htm?id=261

Some news from practice. Of particular interest is Engqvist being sent down and Louis Leblanc called up.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    The only thing that is wrong with your post, is that the Habs will need to suck two seasons in a row to get MacKinnon, who is not available in the upcoming draft. I hope that I won't have to cheer for the other team two years in a row
    Didn't realize he wasn't yet draft-eligible, too bad, he'll be gold for whichever team picks him up, and I agree with you it would be disaster if the Habs were in this position next year! Cannot happen.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    My candidates:

Andrei Kostitsyn - might re-sign but I prefer seeing him gone. He might fetch a late 1st depending on how other pieces fall. But 25-goal wingers will be in high demand so you never know. I think he'll actually fetch a 2nd and a young player.

Travis Moen - he'll be in high demand because of his total package game. I think he is worth a 2nd.

Mathieu Darche - Not sure if there is any interest but if there is he could be worth a 4th or 5th

Petteri Nokelainen - Like Darche, not sure if there is any interest. He's not worth anything more than a late pick.

Hal Gill - Lots of teams want him. He might bring back a 2nd.

Chris Campoli - terrible acquisition. I would take a 4th for him and be happy with that.

Yannick Weber - he's a bit redundant on this team and hasn't been able to sustain good play at any point in his career. Rafael Diaz is a better alternative. Weber probably gets swapped for another struggling prospect.

I like the list and the obvious candidates to be moved are Moen, Gill, Weber and AK46, in that order.

You have to think the Pens would consider Gill just because of their familarity with him (and he with them), he would bolster an already potent PK unit and they could give him only limited minutes at even strength given the strength of the rest of their D corps, and most importantly you can't discount his leadership in the locker room. If not the Pens then maybe the Hawks, who have struggled on the PK all year, or perhaps even the Caps.

As for Moen, the Canucks are such a perfect fit for him, would be surprised if Gillis wasn't sniffing around. Could also see the Ducks consider taking him back if they're still in it or possibly the Wings to add some toughness going into the playoffs.

As for AK46, the Kings and the Preds are the obvious possibilities in my mind. He'd be a perfect fit in either case.

I don't know about AK though, I think we give him another 1-year deal and see what he can do over another full season with a fast-developing Eller, I've seen too much good chemistry between them to discard him now, even if we can get a good draft pick and prospect. He was our 1st rounder in the deepest draft year in history, after all! But if you can get a king's ransom for him, then why not.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I don't know about AK though, I think we give him another 1-year deal and see what he can do over another full season with a fast-developing Eller, I've seen too much good chemistry between them to discard him now, even if we can get a good draft pick and prospect. He was our 1st rounder in the deepest draft year in history, after all! But if you can get a king's ransom for him, then why not.
    I think Eller's chances are equally good if he has Louis Leblanc and a vet signing or Aaron Palushaj at his sides next year. I like AK's talent set but in the big picture I don't think he helps add points in the standings, which is what's most important.

I can't discredit your opinion though, my opinion is just more strongly opposed to having part-timers on the roster. He could always snap out of it though.
    Last edited by ericdaoust; February 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Projected lines tonight:

Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty
    Gomez-Plekanec-Bourque
    AK46-Leblanc-Weber
    Blunden-Eller-Darche

Not a fan of the wingers given to Eller...

Dobber Sports Genius

Couple things. First....Gomez still on the 2nd line is unbelievable.

As for Eric's list of tradeables. I agree with most accept I don't really care to see AK46 go for a 2nd pick...He's turning 27 and that is usually a huge breakout year. Guy is a deadbeat with huge talent and strength.

I also think you were being a little too generous with the round of most picks. If we think Gill should bring in a 2nd pick (i do) the habs will get either a 3rd at best but probably a 4th or 6th.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Administrator

Default Canadiens 3, Devils 5

Tonight was another game that was a good representation of the team's overall season. There was some good, but then mistakes and mental lapses overshadow everything as the team blows a two-goal lead. They are now 12 points out of a playoff spot. For all three of you who think the Habs still had a chance, have you abandoned ship yet?

The Scott Gomez anniversary for his last goal (Feb 5 2011) is fast approaching. This has become quite the joke but Gomez deserves the embarrassment. He doesn't try, doesn't back-check, can't score a goal ever, and has become an increasingly poor passer too. Tonight was his 57th straight game without a goal. This season his average ice time is still over 15 minutes.

Carey Price has been good of late but tonight was a poor game. The first goal he let in was a softie and he was not on top of his game overall. Neither goalie was great but Brodeur definitely outplayed Price.

This is really a one-line team. I have no complaints whatsoever about Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole. They are a fine #1 line. Neither is a superstar but they get the job done. The problem lies in the other three lines where there is a major lack of consistency. Even Lars Eller disappears although that is not unexpected for a young player. If the team had its stuff together there would be more established players there to support him.

PK Subban had a good game despite his numbers. He is far less turnover-prone and delivered a great check to Adam Larsson. Larsson needs to learn to keep his head up because he didn't see it coming.

Louis Leblanc was in the lineup but only played 9:29. He had an assist.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm all about the TANK now. Really want Pierre to be replaced with another Pierre.
    He knows his stuff. Lets get it done and start this easy rebuild. Seems easy to me anyway.
    Bring in a 1st line in the off season and let the young kids play the 3rd and 4th line. Trade all the spare parts now for whatever you can get. Mind you what better way to tank then let Gomez play top minutes.

Trade:
    Moen
    Gill
    AK46
    Pleckanec
    Budaj
    Campoli
    WEber
    The finish dude, name isn't coming to me. nokalinenin?
    BOURQUE! trade this guy he's a floater.

and the guys not as easy to trade:
    Kaberle
    Gomez
    Gionta
    Darche (for pucks - give him a severe beating on the way out tho pls- can't stand this guy)
    Last edited by ddp; February 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson