Page 64 of 607 FirstFirst ... 14 54 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 74 114 164 564 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=607258

Geoff Molson on the coaching situation. I didn't like the part where he said that speaking both languages will be important when selecting a permanent coach. Basically saying Cunneyworth might be a lame duck right now if they eventually want to hire a french-speaking guy like Bob Hartley.
    If they hire Hartley I officially quit... I don't see a lot of French speaking candidates right now that could do the job. The only one that I would like to see already coached the Habs in the past, and it's Michel Therrien.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    If they hire Hartley I officially quit... I don't see a lot of French speaking candidates right now that could do the job. The only one that I would like to see already coached the Habs in the past, and it's Michel Therrien.
    The idea of limiting it to french-speaking guys only really puts the team at a competitive disadvantage. I'd say 80-90% of candidates would automatically be eliminated if they do have such a requirement.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Default Canadiens 2, Bruins 3

Tonight's game report comes to you in english with no french subtitles. Before you flame me, remember that regardless of language all that matters is that I write well and provide good insight.

During the day I was thinking about this coaching controversy revolving around Randy Cunneyworth's inability to speak french and I realized that this season is probably lost. A bunch of politicians and RDS both want him out already. If you watch RDS notice the tone they use when specifying that every time you listen to the coach there will be subtitles included. It's a mess that to me resembles the disaster that was the century season.

The team has issues with consistency, focus and maturity from the young players all the way to the experienced veterans. We've seen what Mike Cammalleri and Scott Gomez bring in terms of (non-)leadership and we've also seen PK Subban turn cute/lazy pass attempts into quick goals by the other team on a seemingly nightly basis of late.

Sticking to the topic of Subban, expect to see him in the press box soon. The team has a lot of NHL-ready defencemen so it would not hurt the team much to send a message.

I must say that Mike Cammalleri had his best game in a while. He made a great pass to Tomas Plekanec for the team's first goal. He added five shots on goal.

Carey Price had a solid night ruined by a few brain cramps that led to high-quality scoring chances. He really kept the team in the game for the most part.

The team's penalty killing was solid, killing all three Bruins' power plays including a four-minute double-minor at the end of the second period.

David Desharnais had an assist but was 2/15 on faceoffs. Considering his other centermen are not great on faceoffs he has to be better.

Plekanec meanwhile was 12/20 tonight to go along with his goal.

Erik Cole scored his 13th goal of the season with one minute to go to cut the lead to 3-2. It was too late to make a comeback.

Administrator

Another perspective on last night's game: http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone...t-with-audio-3

Of note is the bashing of PK Subban and his role in the first two goals by the Bruins.

Administrator

I will try to have a game report up tonight but I can't promise anything because I have to be up at 5AM for a flight out of the country. I will return late December 29. In the meantime ross10019 will handle duties in this thread. I understand that it is the holiday season so updates may be sparse but his efforts are greatly appreciated. Thanks Ross!

Also, if anyone else wants to add some contributions please do so. This thread isn't about me, it's about the Habs. All welcome!

Administrator

Budaj gets the start tonight. Good move IMO.

Administrator

Here's some links of the day in Habs land...

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...d-trip-resumes

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Here's some links of the day in Habs land...

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...d-trip-resumes

Very interesting article linked to in Hockey I/O, on the 10 key moves made by Pierre Gauthier since the start of his tenure as GM: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...8_section_POS1

Here is my take on each move - keep in mind these are the moves highlighted by Cyberpresse, I didn't make up this list:

1. Halak trade - I said at the time that this was not a bad trade and might even turn out to be a very good trade, because I saw a hell of a lot of potential in Eller and (more importantly) because people were really selling Price short. Sure enough, Eller is looking to be a key core member of this team for years and has grown by leaps and bounds over the last year. The part about that trade I DON'T like is that, apparently, Gauthier did not shop Halak around at all and that is disconcerting - the McKenzie's of the world were reporting that some GMs who would have been quite interested in Halak (Holmgren?) were shocked that he was moved without Gauthier first sending out feelers. VERDICT - POSITIVE: Good trade because it opened the door to Price taking the reins and brought in a solid young prospect, at low salary, who will turn out to be core.

2. Wizniewski signing - No doubt about it, this was a good move at the time, Wiz was a big factor in our success with Markov gone. VERDICT - POSITIVE

3. Hamrlik non-re-signing - Also a good move, primarily because Hamrlik ended up getting 2 years at 3.75M per, which would have been too expensive for us. Plus it created room for Diaz, Weber, Emelin to prove themselves, which is more important (imo) than the short term stability Hamrlik would have brought. VERDICT - POSITIVE

4. Jagr non-signing - Another good move, there were just too many question marks regarding how Jagr would fit in in the lockerroom, and this team, more than many others, is all about a tight lockerroom. In hindsight it's easy to say the Habs should have signed him, but at the time, given the general feeling that Jagr's primary contributions would be on the PP and that this (again at the time) was one of the few areas where the Habs were strong (with Markov apparently coming back at that point), good move. VERDICT - POSITIVE

5. Cole signing - Good move, albeit $1M too high and 1 year too long, but as I have always said these "premiums" are a must to attract good players to Mtl, it's just a fact. Cole had so many detractors, but all he's done is come in and work his ass off, which shows not only on the scoresheet but also, and more importantly, he is a perfect mentor for our future power forwards (mainly MaxPac, but also Eller and AK46 to some extent). VERDICT - POSITIVE

6. Markov contract - Like many other fans, I liked this move because of Markov's loyalty to the organization, and while there were risks given his knee situation, I assumed (wrongly it seems) that the Canadiens had done a thorough, massive due diligence on his medical situation. Now that we know that not only was that likely not true, but also that the Canadiens were not in sufficiently close contact with Markov and his handlers this summer to ensure that his progress was going smoothly, it seems to me a bad move given what Gauthier knew at the time, way too many risks involved. VERDICT - NEGATIVE

7. Gorges contract - No question about this, wrong-headed, possibly the worst move (and that's saying something) that PG has made this year, to NOT make a priority of signing Gorges long-term. This guy is the heart and soul of this club, a warrior, future Captain material, and you give him a 1-year deal, insulting him to the point where he'll probably sign as a UFA with the Canucks or something? Lunacy, idiocy, all rolled up into a giant ball of spit. VERDICT - ASININELY NEGATIVE

8. Muller gone, Cunneyworth takes his spot - I don't know how much PG had to do with it, but the Habs handling of Muller was bad, not giving him a vision as to his future with his team that would have caused him to stay. We are going to rue the day we let Muller go, maybe not as bad as that horrible decision to let Boucher walk (man that is paaaaainnnnful) but a bad decision nonetheless. Bringing in Cunneyworth was definitely good though, solid player coach. VERDICT - NEGATIVE

9. Kaberle trade - I don't see this trade in as negative light as some, but it is still a bad trade PRIMARILY because of what we DID NOT extract from Rutherford, not because of Kaberle or the perceived bad contract he brings for what he contributes. Unloading Spacek's contract, a less-than-one year contract, means very little, on top of doing that we should have been able AT LEAST to extract a solid draft pick or a good prospect. I like Kaberle and what he brings, and the money isn't atrocious, but the potential for this handcuffing us over the next couple of years, primarily in terms of re-signing a guy like Gorges, is what makes it really bad. VERDICT - NEGATIVE

10. Martin firing - Had to be done I think given some of the decisions Martin was making at the end of his time with the Habs (e.g., giving minimal ice time to youngsters like Eller, in favor of underperforming vets; benching Leblanc for the entire game AFTER he scores his 1st NHL goal). The positive of this move is that it will ultimately lead to the end of Gauthier! VERDICT - POSITIVE

They forgot to add the Pearn firing in there, I think that was an iffy move and if they had an inkling that they were going to fire Martin, they should just as easily have done both at the same time. It was a veiled message to Martin, I guess, which was not necessary and counterproductive in my mind.

Overall, even if most of his decisions (per above) have been positive, I do not like Gauthier as GM and want to see him out asap, and a GM brought in from elsewhere who has a better hockey mind (and hopefully doesn't have as much a reputation for carrying himself like he's the "smartest guy in the room"). A Jim Nill. A Julien Brisebois (who would obviously be a better choice language-wise). Let's see someone come in with fresh ideas and a stellar reputation on the hockey scene.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Habs at Blackhawks tonight, it's a 7:30pm start.

Keys I'll be watching for:

- Emelin out of the lineup, so if this game gets physical that could hurt us. I imagine we'll continue with the uptempo approach Cunneyworth seems to prefer and make it a fast-paced game.

- Budaj between the pipes. Price definitely needed a rest, so this is a good move, rest him for a road game against a powerful western conference squad (which odds are will be a loss) and get him fresh for a winnable road game against the Jets the next night. That said, Budaj has done well in his few starts this year, and he knows the Hawks from his time with the Avs, so could work out.

- Can Cammalleri step up and finally put a few top corner tonight? He really needs some luck to go his way. There is all sorts of speculation, lingering injury? Lack of motivation? He came out today and said that he really liked the uptempo first "full" practice under Cunneyworth, saying that they worked on lots of things and it was very positive. So my guess is that he might produce tonight.

- Interested in seeing if the PP can produce, there's been some good puck movement since the Kaberle trade and I wonder whether Cunneyworth's team made any recent changes to improve it further.

- Subban, poor play on one of those Boston goals last game, needs to really step up now. Let's see how he responds.

Overall, with the whole language kerfuffle, it's not a bad time for the Habs to be on the road. And the Habs, in these "obvious loss" games, have on several occasions played great this year, the team has on those occasions sometime come together and surprised us with a very solid team performance. Plus the Hawks coming off a tough loss to the Pens and 2nd game of a b2b. So I'm cautiously optimistic for tonight and will predict....

- - - Habs lose in OT 4-3, Cammy scores two (both on PP), Hawks bombard Budaj but he makes 31 saves - - -

Finally, for the Twitter lovers out there, BizNasty 2.0 was interviewed today on some TV sports show and he talked about a Habs fan tweeting that he "hoped BizNasty would die of cancer", I assume because of his stance on the language issue? Useless information, I know...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Icon

I''ll give you my thoughts for each period, and then wrap it up with overall thoughts for all of you who don't want to wade through details.

1ST PERIOD

- Budaj three nice saves early in 1st, good positioning. Beat cleanly by a Keith slapper halfway through the period, but the goalie’s best friend (goalpost) saves him.
    - Good sustained pressure by Plekanec/Cammy line in the 1st, good puck movement.
    - Nice big hit by Campoli on Frolik. Bodes well if he can bring a gritty element to his game.
    - Great sequence by Eller/AK46/Leblanc line, good forecheck, AK got the puck back to Gill for the point shot, created a fantastic scoring chance partly due to havoc created by Leblanc in front, nice save Crawford to prevent the opening marker for the Habs.
    - Gorges is such a good defenseman, great positioning and “stickwork” as McGuire would say. It would kill me if we lost him due to that asinine decision to give him only a one year deal.
    - Nice pace to this game thus far, Hawks are so dangerous on the counter, but Habs defending well.
    - Cammalleri, snakebit! As I said below, he needs some bounces to go his way, had a real nice chance in front and was patient, took a nice backhander but save Crawford.
    - Cunneyworth clearly emphasizing net-front presence, seems like more goalmouth activity than under Martin. I also noticed that he’s giving the Dmen more leave to jump up and make a play, to intercept a clearing pass for example. Overall, much more uptempo high energy style of play he’s promoting. He’s also much more vocal and communicative with his players than Martin was, more like Muller than Martin.
    - Hossa, what a beast! Puck on a string too.
    - Kaberle nice defensive play and gets the puck up to Pacioretty and out.
    - Great play by Sharp to get around Gill in front, strong on the puck and creates a dangerous scoring chance, stop Budaj.
    Last edited by ross10019; December 21, 2011 at 8:57 PM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Habs announce signing of Michal Bournival to a 3-year entry level contract. He was obtained from Colorado in the O'Byrne trade.

Dobber Sports Icon

SECOND PERIOD – HABS V HAWKS

- A strong start by the Cole/Pacioretty/DD line, creates a nice scoring chance.
    - Huge stop by Budaj on Kane.
    - Nice PK by the Habs on what is a scary Hawks PP – Toews/Kane/Sharp/Hossa/Keith, shudder…
    - 2nd Habs PP, penalty call for goalie interference on Frolik. Subban with ugly giveaway behind the net, wake up PK! But then nice possession, puck to Kaberle who takes a slapper (!?) nice pad save by Crawford and then saves the Pacioretty rebound from the slot, big chance. Cunneyworth quickly (45 seconds in) goes to the 2nd wave, more good puck movement and AK46 converts on a beautiful little redirect of a Pleks pass. Habs take a 1-0 lead.
    - Pacioretty and Cole dangerous again, almost a great little goal by Cole.
    - Bad play by Leblanc not to get that puck out of the zone when he had the chance, Cunneyworth won’t like to see that (nor would Martin), let’s see if they bench him any.
    - Nice chance for Eller and took the immediate shot, good decision to pull the trigger fast.
    - Rare appearance by the 4th line here, and Blunden takes a stupid holding penalty, but a good Habs kill and even had a couple of solid SH chances.
    - Hawks goal, Toews from Kane from in close, they outhustle the Pacioretty/Cole/DD line and neither Gorges nor Subban looked too good on that play.
    - Oh boy, 2nd Hawks goal half a minute later. Sharp comes in on a 2 on 1 and scores on a deflected shot.
    - Oh my, an incredible save by Crawford on Pacioretty, sure goal there, look for that on the NHL Network “best saves of the week”, larceny.
    - Now Desharnais line outhustling Sharp/Hossa/Bolland line, hemming them in and causing a turnover that leads to an excellent chance that just missed. This bodes VERY well that the Habs are coming back like this despite the deflating two goal in 21 second thing.
    - Moen with a poor attempt at keeping the puck in at the blueline, Dman goes around him like nothing, shades of his bad play against Boston that led to the ultimate winning goal by Marchand. Got to do better than that Travis.
    - 3rd Habs PP, good opportunity to tie things up going into the 2nd. This time very nice puck movement by the 1st wave, Kaberle and Subban changing sides halfway through (Kaberle starting on the left point), create good scoring chance but no dice.

Dobber Sports Icon

THIRD PERIOD – HABS V HAWKS

- Habs in exact same position as in the Bruins game here, 2-1 down to a powerhouse team, can they create a different result here by taking advantage of what should be a tired Hawks team?
    - Start the 3rd on the PP and the first wave is unsuccessful. PP ends with Subban shot blocked, which has been happening a lot lately, either blocked or missed. Seems like ages ago that PK wired that gorgeous one timer to tie Game 7 against the Bruins…
    - Cammalleri seems more involved this game, his forechecking pressure in the 2nd caused a turnover.
    - Cole with another excellent chance on the counter, makes a great move to get around a 1st pairing guy like Seabrook with speed and takes a blistering wrister high, nice save by Crawford. Man, Cole is sure earning that big contract this year, making Gauthier look good.
    - Eller has been invisible, largely, since the 1st period.
    - Backbreaker, after some pressure from the Habs Stalberg pots the 3-1 goal on a nice play by Bickel behind the net. Horrid play by Subban with the blind backpass behind the net, directly to Bickel, and Gorges didn’t look that great either. Subban, like in Boston, largely responsible for a strong opponent taking a 2-goal lead at a critical moment in the game.
    - Just when I thought Cammalleri was starting to look good, he loses the puck on a 3 on 2 and the Habs have to withstand a 2 on 1 the other way.
    - Subban again, this time loses the puck and holding the forward’s stick, no call, lucky.
    - Poor 3rd period overall for the Habs, it looked as if it was the Hawks that were the rested team and the Habs playing the b2b. Not good. That said, this Hawks team is legit Cup contender, no doubt at all, these are true 1A and 1B lines that would be clear no 1 line on most other teams in the league. They controlled the 3rd, an admirable display.
    - Toews with the empty netter. 4-1.
    - And now a 5th goal on a pretty 2 on 1, nothing Kaberle and then Budaj could do, beautiful play there and goal for Bickel.

Dobber Sports Icon

OVERALL THOUGHTS - HABS V HAWKS

- Tough loss for the Habs, the 5-1 score didn't do them justice, down only 2-1 halfway through the 3rd. But they really broke down in the 3rd and the Hawks started dominating.
    - Like Cunneyworth's approach, uptempo and energy, players seem to be playing for him, but wow what a poor 3rd period with the game within their grasp.
    - Pacioretty with some golden opportunities, and that line with Cole/Desharnais continues to be the engine. Pacioretty should have had a couple goals, and still ended up with 8SOG, 5Hits, 2Bks, pretty nice roto numbers, albeit ended at -2.
    - After his usual solid play in the 1st, Gorges looked uncharacteristically sloppy in the 2nd and 3rd, not sure what's going on there. Largely responsible for the 2nd goal.
    - Subban, not sure what's going on with him, but he's not stepping up and that's the 2nd game in a row he makes a poor choice behind that net that leads directly to a 2-goal lead. He was NOT among the 6 skaters when the Habs pulled the goalie, it is not going well for the young stallion, a major regression in fact. I didn't realize how bad it was until tonight.
    - Budaj played well, made some, key saves and didn't allow any soft goals. Can't be faulted for this loss, far from it.
    - Hawks are a monstrously good team. High-octane forwards, great D depth, solid goaltending duo, and top it all off with (imo) the best young Captain in the league, another Cup, here they come.
    Last edited by ross10019; December 21, 2011 at 10:10 PM.

Administrator

Good job with the game report! I missed large chunks of the game so I can't give a full picture but from what I saw in the third they just don't have a team willing to pay the price to win. The guys are in position for the most part and play their role which keeps games close but they don't have that extra gear at the moment to be the better team.