Page 382 of 607 FirstFirst ... 282 332 372 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 392 432 482 ... LastLast
Results 5,716 to 5,730 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Montreal Canadiens

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    They had a shot at a ''Franco-Ontarien'' stud in Giroux back in 2006. Instead, David Fischer (pronounced ''fi-chère'' in French) was the better pick for them! Please see his illustrious NHL career stats here if needed: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=95353

As much as we would all salivate at landing Dubois, unless the Habs make a move to move up in the draft, there is no chance he will still be there at number 9 unless something major happens in the next few days (i.e. a serious incident or an injury).
    Again, Giroux was not a top5 prospect at the time. They did missed the boat here, and it's well known that Timmins had orders from Gainey to draft a D.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Again, Giroux was not a top5 prospect at the time. They did missed the boat here, and it's well known that Timmins had orders from Gainey to draft a D.
    Totally, but my point was that they went ahead and took a huge risk with an American D that wasn't showcasing anything special at the time rather than go with an offensive french-speaking stud that was burning the Q at the time! Then again, everytime they do draft a Francophone player in the top 2 rounds, crap hits the fan for whatever reason (Chouinard, Ribeiro, Latendresse, the wrong Matt Carle, Leblanc, ...)
    Fucale is the only one that can break the current curse!

FWIW, I'm totally against the ''draft a French-speaking player first'' mindset and I'm a billingual Montrealer. The number 1 priority should always be to win so the BPA is what management should look for come draft time. I do undertand that some of the fans want more Francophones but I'm pretty sure that their true desire is to win a Cup! If the BPA happens to be French, that's fine by me, but please don't go wasting a pick for the sake of interviews and to please a handfull of so-called fans!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Guru

Who cares if someone is from Quebec? Take the best player because they are the best player, not because of what their birth certificate says.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Expert

There's too much emphasis on the French player with the Habs...and I think we all understand the reasoning. But to me, the Habs, if they were to move up for a guy like Dubois, would be because of the player and not because he's from Quebec. Dubois is still a tier ahead of the next top 3/4 forwards but given where the Habs are picking, I think moving up is not the wise thing to do here.

Dobber Sports Expert

I think the French player with the Habs thing is overblown. It's barely a subject anymore.

Administrator

I think the French player with the Habs thing is overblown. It's barely a subject anymore.
    I agree. Way overblown. We're in 2016, not 1956.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Giant

Hehe common yougo; you of all people know that as unimportant as it is to the real fans, the topic is still very present in the Montreal media . I listen to 98.5FM when Ron Fournier is on during the season (and in the offseason too) and both he and the people that phone in speak of the issues at hand and more often than not, the ''lack of French speaking players'' is brought up. The same can be heard on certain panels on l'Antichambre depending who is on that night (clearly not when PJ Stock is there). Their argument is that the team lacks heart and once again, in their words, that could be solved by adding more players with a French background to tie into the heritage of the team. This topic is of course not covered by English stations (i.e. 690AM) other than making fun of the French stations that use this nonesense as a way to build a winning team!
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Administrator

Hehe common yougo; you of all people know that as unimportant as it is to the real fans, the topic is still very present in the Montreal media. I listen to 98.5FM when Ron Fournier is on during the season (and in the offseason too) and both he and the people that phone in speak of the issues at hand and more often than not, the ''lack of French speaking players'' is brought up. The same can be heard on certain panels on l'Antichambre depending who is on that night (clearly not when PJ Stock is there). Their argument is that the team lacks heart and once again, in their words, that could be solved by adding more players with a French background to tie into the heritage of the team. This topic is of course not covered by English stations (i.e. 690AM) other than making fun of the French stations that use this nonesense as a way to build a winning team!
    The media will bring up anything that sparks a bit of emotion, regardless of the relevance of the topic. It's like verbal clickbait.

Dobber Sports Expert

Hehe common yougo; you of all people know that as unimportant as it is to the real fans, the topic is still very present in the Montreal media. I listen to 98.5FM when Ron Fournier is on during the season (and in the offseason too) and both he and the people that phone in speak of the issues at hand and more often than not, the ''lack of French speaking players'' is brought up. The same can be heard on certain panels on l'Antichambre depending who is on that night (clearly not when PJ Stock is there). Their argument is that the team lacks heart and once again, in their words, that could be solved by adding more players with a French background to tie into the heritage of the team. This topic is of course not covered by English stations (i.e. 690AM) other than making fun of the French stations that use this nonesense as a way to build a winning team!
    Yeah but how many % of Habs fan think like that?

Probably 15% of Ron Fournier callers are approaching the subject. That must be like 1% of Habs fan.

But like I said, I would totally move up in the draft for Dubois because he's quebecois , and it's the closest the Habs have been in almost 20 years to draft an elite prospect from Quebec. I'm not an advocate of drafting only player of Quebec or reach for one. It's just that this is a situation that the Habs haven't been in for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The media will bring up anything that sparks a bit of emotion, regardless of the relevance of the topic. It's like verbal clickbait.
    I was listen to TSN690 yesterday and Nilan kept talking about trading Subban. This made me switch to 91.9 Sports right away. Can't stand this Subban hate.

Dobber Sports Giant

Yeah but how many % of Habs fan think like that?

Probably 15% of Ron Fournier callers are approaching the subject. That must be like 1% of Habs fan.

But like I said, I would totally move up in the draft for Dubois because he's quebecois , and it's the closest the Habs have been in almost 20 years to draft an elite prospect from Quebec. I'm not an advocate of drafting only player of Quebec or reach for one. It's just that this is a situation that the Habs haven't been in for a long time.
    Ok let me throw this one at you : If the Habs could magically land the 3rd overall pick rather than the 4th or 5th (keep in mind this is an imagined scenario), would they pick Dubois over the BPA in Puljujarvi?? I actually don't know how they would side at this point...

I was listen to TSN690 yesterday and Nilan kept talking about trading Subban. This made me switch to 91.9 Sports right away. Can't stand this Subban hate.
    Trading Subban is ridiculous. I agree that the hate is 1) not warranted and 2) hypocritcal because the second Subban has a 3-4 point night early on, he's the MVP we ''always knew that he was''! ''Give him the key to the city!''

Minors:

Dobber Sports Expert

Ok let me throw this one at you : If the Habs could magically land the 3rd overall pick rather than the 4th or 5th (keep in mind this is an imagined scenario), would they pick Dubois over the BPA in Puljujarvi?? I actually don't know how they would side at this point...
    I'd draft Pulju. I'd go BPA. But at 4th per exemple, I'd go Dubois. To me he's very close to Tkachuk.

Administrator

If Habs trade up to 3 and draft Dubois MB should lose his job.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    If Habs trade up to 3 and draft Dubois MB should lose his job.
    Hehe but you agree it could happen if they were in that position!? Right?

Minors:

Administrator

Hehe but you agree it could happen if they were in that position!? Right?
    He would draft Dale Weise before any of them. That's what I know.

Dobber Sports Guru

Anyone else underwhelmed with the Habs this weekend?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid