Page 355 of 607 FirstFirst ... 255 305 345 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 365 405 455 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,325 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Montreal Canadiens

DD out next game for the Habs. Looks like a foot injury.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Embrace the tank.

Bergevin must have asked Therrien to tell his best player to "fake" an injury....don't think Bergevin expected Therrien to tell Desharnais.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Bergevin must have asked Therrien to tell his best player to "fake" an injury....don't think Bergevin expected Therrien to tell Desharnais.
    Maybe MB asked the question in french?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Renaud Lavoie@renlavoietva 2m2 minutes ago
    #canadiens prospect Martin Reway suffered a concussion and it doesn't look good. Possible he played his last game with Fribourg this season.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Renaud Lavoie@renlavoietva 2m2 minutes ago
    #canadiens prospect Martin Reway suffered a concussion and it doesn't look good. Possible he played his last game with Fribourg this season.
    Maybe that'll knock some sense into him

Dobber Sports Ninja

What a train wreck Montreal is without Price. Is that all it really is? I mean I know that Price can cover up for some pretty poor play, but holy crap, I didn't expect a complete implosion. I agree that it appears that the team has quit on their coach. 50/50 to make the playoffs or have you guys lost all hope?

Dobber Sports Expert

It goes beyond Price, it goes beyond coaching, it goes beyond the GM. When you go through such a rough stretch as they experienced way back in December, you need character leadership to step up and turn it around. Everyone wants to then go and point the blame on Patches and Subban. Yes these two should be contributing more stat wise and Patches in particular doesn't seem to have the same edge to his game, but this season cannot be pinpointed to individuals as it consistently has been.

But I'm more concerned about the other veterans in the dressing room, whose play has completely tanked. The problem is not necessarily the young players or the skill. Montreal has tons of skill, but what they don't have is guys who know how to win in the NHL (yes they have guys who have won Olympic golds and WJC medals, but nothing outside a berth in the ECF in the NHL). It's something you can't teach, something your born with and develop with.

Heading into last night's game, the Habs had <8% chance to make the playoffs. Those percentages took another hit. To try and salvage the season now is a move this organization can not and will not make.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    To try and salvage the season now is a move this organization can not and will not make.
    The problem is no one seems to know what the goal is for Montreal. Make the playoffs? Rebuild? Become a cup contender? We're in years four of Bergevin's plan and it's almost like we're starting all over again.

I think Price does play a large role in this. Look at the GWG last night. Max Pacioretty looked lost and didn't know what to do. I wonder how many times last year that happened, and Price would simply make the save and no one would have noticed.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Expert

I agree that the direction is cloudy. There are some bad contracts, by that I mean tied to guys who I can't see as being part of the core group that will get you to a cup. Paying two of your centermen $4+ million a season when they are best a 3rd line center (Eller and Deharnais) and paying another centreman $6 mill where he is at best a 2nd line centre (Plekanec) is an awful lot to tie up for one of the weakest middles in the NHL. Of course nowadays you have to develop your own talent and Montreal doesn't seem to be doing so well in that regard. They are drafting and great tools in the pipeline such as Hudon, Carr, Scherbak, McCarron, Andrighetto, DLR, Pateryn, ...but most are not developing at the rate they should. And if they are, they're being held back by the belief that holding them in the AHL for a full season or two will be better for their development (not a bad idea). However the lag in development can be attributed to the player development personnel at the pro level, Lefebvre and the staff in St. John's and the coaching at the NHL level. I know most of the players I listed here are recent picks but nonetheless, this is an ongoing issue that predates the "Bergevin era".

I think the core of this team is set up fairly well but the players they've brought in via trades and free agency and handed out inflated contracts too is killing their current identity. Still a fairly young team, some tinkering on the go, they should be fine in the future.

Dobber Sports Stud

Hard to know what the heck is going on.

I wonder whether management did not overestimate their young core's ability/readiness to take on the leadership roles on the team.

I was not a fan of the decision to trade Gorges (and even less of the classless manner in which it was done), and I was unhappy with the fact that Gionta was not kept (though I understand the contractual demands were hard to justify/meet). Both of these players struck me as the type of veterans that can have a calming presence in a room when the proverbial shit hits the fan.

Of course, the team still has Plekanec and Markov, but a lot of the other veterans are either lightweights or guys that are relatively new to the team.

It's certainly a tough year for our new captain.

I also did not like what happened after the game.

Subban made a bonehead play, but I think his Therrien was a bit quick to blame him for the loss. (First, the game was tied and at this point the team can't satisfy itself with ties; second, one mistake alone does not cost you a game.)

On the other hand, Subban's reaction was also disappointing, denying any responsibility on the play. Contrary to what he claimed, it was a low percentage play and probably the wrong callin that situation. (Also, he did not simply lose his footing.

And Eller blaming the loss on that mistake was also tactless IMO. The guy scores what, maybe 25 points a season? Dude, seriously shut up!

Dobber Sports Expert

Eller on the block...I wish they would have moved him while he still had some value. If they get a 2nd for him, I'd be very happy.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Eller on the block...I wish they would have moved him while he still had some value. If they get a 2nd for him, I'd be very happy.
    Yeah the issue there is he's been in the league long enough to no longer have the label of young guy with a ton of untapped potential. He's talented and hardworking but most of the time he's completely clueless on the ice. Doesn't think the game well.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Yeah the issue there is he's been in the league long enough to no longer have the label of young guy with a ton of untapped potential. He's talented and hardworking but most of the time he's completely clueless on the ice. Doesn't think the game well.
    Agreed...a guy last year we as Habs fans we're clamoring was vital going future but now the optimal window of opportunity has passed.

Administrator

Another thing you might notice is how Eller often looks down at the puck while stickhandling. Blind passes come from not seeing linemates.

Dobber Sports Guru

Rumour has it that MB has contacted at least one team about gauging the value of Subban.