Page 35 of 607 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 85 135 535 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I can't wait to see this kid Diaz in action. Eric, do you think he'll see some NHL time this year? A few cups of coffee or up for a nice stretch? I guess it depends on injuries, but you have to think they value him higher than Weber since it seems he can bring a more gritty two-way game to the table to go with his excellent offensive skills. I'd like to see him come up and Weber traded for prospects/picks, and add a decent stay at home 2nd or 3rd pairing Dman like Hannan or O'Brien.
    Just a follow-up to the Diaz conversation... he was mentioned in an interview with Jacques Martin (french):

http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/...16-025701.html

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...coaching-staff

Habs give promotions to Randy Cunnyworth and Randy Ladouceur. Both will be assistants to Jacques Martin. I really like the promotion system because it gives incentive to work hard to climb the organizational ladder. This IMO is the best model to run at all levels, with coaches and players.

Administrator

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...-one-year-deal

Also credit to initial breaking of news on this forum:
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...d.php&t=106766

Josh Gorges re-signs one year for 2.5 million. He can become a UFA next summer so this is a bit of a concern but clearly the knee injury played into this. With Gorges being a RFA this summer he didn't have a lot of negotiating power and arbitration could not offer him a long-term deal either.

Administrator

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373617

Andrei Kostitsyn revealed the obvious, which is that he and the coach are not on great terms. But he claims he played poorly only because he was in the bottom-six and not getting as much ice time, which is false because he was playing terrible long before any demotions took place.

At least he knows what is to come. He is getting the Benoit Pouliot role this year.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373617

Andrei Kostitsyn revealed the obvious, which is that he and the coach are not on great terms. But he claims he played poorly only because he was in the bottom-six and not getting as much ice time, which is false because he was playing terrible long before any demotions took place.

At least he knows what is to come. He is getting the Benoit Pouliot role this year.

What a jerk-off. So much talent, size, skill, but a head full of those little foam rubber things you get when you order breakable items from Amazon.

To think the Habs could have drafted any of these guys instead of him, sigh...

Round 1
    11 Jeff Carter (Centre)
    13 Dustin Brown (Right Wing)
    14 Brent Seabrook (Defence)
    17 Zach Parise (Centre)
    19 Ryan Getzlaf (Centre)
    20 Brent Burns (Defence)
    23 Ryan Kesler (Centre)
    24 Mike Richards (Centre)
    28 Corey Perry (Right Wing)

Round two
    33 Loui Eriksson (Left Wing)
    45 Patrice Bergeron (Centre)
    47 Matt Carle (Defence)
    49 Shea Weber (Defence)
    52 Corey Crawford (Goaltender)
    62 David Backes (Right Wing)
    64 Jimmy Howard (Goaltender)

Round seven
    205 Joe Pavelski (Centre)

Round eight
    239. Tobias Enstrom (Defence)
    245. Dustin Byfuglien (Defence)

Round nine
    263 Matt Moulson (Left Wing)

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Here's Arpon Basu's take on the AK46 flap, solid as usual:

"Daily Hab-it: Kostitsyn sounds off

Updated: Thu Aug. 11 2011 11:25:34 AM

By Arpon Basu

MONTREAL — I find it somewhat astonishing that European players still have a tendency to believe that comments made to the local media will somehow remain in the bubble of their native language.

But every summer, we invariably catch wind of some inflammatory comments from a player speaking to their local paper, and this time it's Andrei Kostitsyn who has stepped in it.

He and brother Sergei were interviewed by goals.by in their native Belarus, and AK's comments about his relationship with Jacques Martin were made in such a way that you would have to believe he thought they would never get out.

You can read the Google translated version (where it appears reporter Alexander Vankovich refers to Sergei as "earrings"), or you can check out the Twitter timeline of North American Sport-Express correspondent Slava Malamud, who translated the comments in a far more legible fashion.

In summary, Kostitsyn said the reason last season was so inconsistent for him was because Martin's use of him was inconsistent as well, which is a fair assessment. He said it's harder to produce when playing on the third or fourth line, which is true. He also said he tried to speak to Martin about it, but that the coach didn't care.

Basically, my take on it is there is nothing shocking in what Kostitsyn said about his relationship with Martin. Frankly, I think if you asked most of the players on the team they would also have the impression that Martin doesn't care, because it does not appear as though he is really a player's coach.

That's what made Kirk Muller's role so important, because he was the buddy coach, the one players can go to with grievances and the one who kept track of the pulse in the room.

That's what Randy Cunneyworth will have to do this upcoming season.

But even though I don't think Kostitsyn said anything that wasn't true doesn't mean I agree with him saying it. The Canadiens are not exactly an organization that appreciates having dirty laundry aired in public. In fact, I can't think of a single club that does like it, but some are more tolerant of it than others.

Calling out your coach a month ahead of training camp when entering a season where you're about to hit unrestricted free agency is not exactly a great career move.

Kostitsyn also mentions in the article that his agent, Don Meehan, advised him to simply play hockey.

Sounds like good advice to me."

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Administrator

Sorry about the long quotes but I want to get both responses in one...

What a jerk-off. So much talent, size, skill, but a head full of those little foam rubber things you get when you order breakable items from Amazon.

To think the Habs could have drafted any of these guys instead of him, sigh...

Round 1
    11 Jeff Carter (Centre)
    13 Dustin Brown (Right Wing)
    14 Brent Seabrook (Defence)
    17 Zach Parise (Centre)
    19 Ryan Getzlaf (Centre)
    20 Brent Burns (Defence)
    23 Ryan Kesler (Centre)
    24 Mike Richards (Centre)
    28 Corey Perry (Right Wing)

Round two
    33 Loui Eriksson (Left Wing)
    45 Patrice Bergeron (Centre)
    47 Matt Carle (Defence)
    49 Shea Weber (Defence)
    52 Corey Crawford (Goaltender)
    62 David Backes (Right Wing)
    64 Jimmy Howard (Goaltender)

Round seven
    205 Joe Pavelski (Centre)

Round eight
    239. Tobias Enstrom (Defence)
    245. Dustin Byfuglien (Defence)

Round nine
    263 Matt Moulson (Left Wing)
    I don't really fault them for the draft pick because he was touted as a top-5 talent with health concerns. The Habs were correct that his health problems can be controlled and I would argue that his pure talent meets expectations. He even has excellent body checking ability which is a welcome addition on the team. The sole problem is work ethic.

Here's Arpon Basu's take on the AK46 flap, solid as usual:

"Daily Hab-it: Kostitsyn sounds off

Updated: Thu Aug. 11 2011 11:25:34 AM

By Arpon Basu

MONTREAL — I find it somewhat astonishing that European players still have a tendency to believe that comments made to the local media will somehow remain in the bubble of their native language.

But every summer, we invariably catch wind of some inflammatory comments from a player speaking to their local paper, and this time it's Andrei Kostitsyn who has stepped in it.

He and brother Sergei were interviewed by goals.by in their native Belarus, and AK's comments about his relationship with Jacques Martin were made in such a way that you would have to believe he thought they would never get out.

You can read the Google translated version (where it appears reporter Alexander Vankovich refers to Sergei as "earrings"), or you can check out the Twitter timeline of North American Sport-Express correspondent Slava Malamud, who translated the comments in a far more legible fashion.

In summary, Kostitsyn said the reason last season was so inconsistent for him was because Martin's use of him was inconsistent as well, which is a fair assessment. He said it's harder to produce when playing on the third or fourth line, which is true. He also said he tried to speak to Martin about it, but that the coach didn't care.

Basically, my take on it is there is nothing shocking in what Kostitsyn said about his relationship with Martin. Frankly, I think if you asked most of the players on the team they would also have the impression that Martin doesn't care, because it does not appear as though he is really a player's coach.

That's what made Kirk Muller's role so important, because he was the buddy coach, the one players can go to with grievances and the one who kept track of the pulse in the room.

That's what Randy Cunneyworth will have to do this upcoming season.

But even though I don't think Kostitsyn said anything that wasn't true doesn't mean I agree with him saying it. The Canadiens are not exactly an organization that appreciates having dirty laundry aired in public. In fact, I can't think of a single club that does like it, but some are more tolerant of it than others.

Calling out your coach a month ahead of training camp when entering a season where you're about to hit unrestricted free agency is not exactly a great career move.

Kostitsyn also mentions in the article that his agent, Don Meehan, advised him to simply play hockey.

Sounds like good advice to me."
    Like I said earlier, AK is the reason he was put on the depth lines. He had a hot start and then went cold. He did not put in extra effort in other areas to work out of the slump.

Dobber Sports Icon

Eric, I absolutely agree that at the time he was drafted he was considered a prospect in the category of those other guys, with his size and skill. Hindsight is twenty twenty, as we all know. Look at the Rangers, having drafted Hugh "The Specimen" Jessiman in that 1st round. You just never can tell.

My point is not to say that they screwed up by picking him, but merely to rue what could have been if they had selected one of the other guys. Pointless, I know, I'll stop that now.

I'm still a believer in Kostitsyn. When he gets going, you see glimpses of what he really can become, especially the physical play, he can run guys over. That's why they drafted him, a power forward with a wrist shot like his, an absolute cannon of a wrist shot, and who can hit like a freight train, that's rare indeed. Here's hoping he screws his head on real tight and works his arse off this year, and the Habs benefit from the results.

Administrator

Eric, I absolutely agree that at the time he was drafted he was considered a prospect in the category of those other guys, with his size and skill. Hindsight is twenty twenty, as we all know. Look at the Rangers, having drafted Hugh "The Specimen" Jessiman in that 1st round. You just never can tell.

My point is not to say that they screwed up by picking him, but merely to rue what could have been if they had selected one of the other guys. Pointless, I know, I'll stop that now.

I'm still a believer in Kostitsyn. When he gets going, you see glimpses of what he really can become, especially the physical play, he can run guys over. That's why they drafted him, a power forward with a wrist shot like his, an absolute cannon of a wrist shot, and who can hit like a freight train, that's rare indeed. Here's hoping he screws his head on real tight and works his arse off this year, and the Habs benefit from the results.
    Regarding the guys they could have drafted, my eyes are on Carter and Parise who were slotted to go around that point. They chose high upside over character and hockey sense which can often times bite a team in the back end. Kostitsyn is about 75% there in terms of fulfilling his promise and the 25% missing could keep him in the 40-50 point range until he is out of the league.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Regarding the guys they could have drafted, my eyes are on Carter and Parise who were slotted to go around that point. They chose high upside over character and hockey sense which can often times bite a team in the back end. Kostitsyn is about 75% there in terms of fulfilling his promise and the 25% missing could keep him in the 40-50 point range until he is out of the league.

Carter in particular. Back in 2003 they had a clear need for a big-sized centerman with skill (their 1 and 2 centermen were Koivu and Ribeiro), and there he was in Carter (or Getzlaf), and they overlooked them for a big winger.

Dobber Sports Giant

Carter in particular. Back in 2003 they had a clear need for a big-sized centerman with skill (their 1 and 2 centermen were Koivu and Ribeiro), and there he was in Carter (or Getzlaf), and they overlooked them for a big winger.
    Please don't start me on this or I'll start crying...

As much as I agree that AK was a top 5 talent in terms of upside, I would have picked Carter or Getzlaf. Sure BPA works, but you always have to think about your need.

I like AK when he's on, but that isn't happening often...

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Chicleteur View Post
    Please don't start me on this or I'll start crying...

As much as I agree that AK was a top 5 talent in terms of upside, I would have picked Carter or Getzlaf. Sure BPA works, but you always have to think about your need.

I like AK when he's on, but that isn't happening often...

We all feel the same pain Chic, but things are looking up! We may not have big top two centerman but Eller has size and we've got a nice group of power forwards with AK, MaxPac and now Cole.

Dobber Sports Icon

Good article by Eric Engels at CTV on the Habs D (http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports). I tend to agree with his take on things, but I don't Emelin's contribution necessarily has to be huge - while Hamrlik was on the decline and the big minutes were wearing him down, he was still an important part of last year's team, and Emelin will have to help make that up, but Hamrlik was forced to take on a bigger role (and much bigger minutes) due to Markov's absence. With Markov back, that will take up much of the load that was carried by Hamrlik - Markov is such a great two-way Dman with underrated strength.

The Engels Angle: Is the Habs defence better or worse?

By Eric Engels

Most have assessed the Montreal Canadiens new defence to be superior to the one they played with last season.

That's not to minimize the loss of James Wisniewski, Roman Hamrlik, Brent Sopel and Paul Mara, but healthy returns for Andrei Markov and Josh Gorges should serve as upgrades on the first two, and new talents Alexei Emelin and Raphael Diaz inject some youth and speed where it was missing.

P.K. Subban will play the team's most pivotal role on the back end as he boasts the most versatility on the Habs' blue line, and Yannick Weber's development could have him surprise people by pinning down a regular spot in the lineup.

The return of Hal Gill enables the Canadiens to keep the stability he's been largely responsible for over the last two seasons, and Jarolsav Spacek's role as the team's 6th or 7th defenceman provides the necessary depth the Canadiens need to undertake a long and arduous season.

They will be a defence that can move the puck more efficiently than the previous group, one that should be able to create more even-strength opportunities, and with Markov's return, one that should certainly be more able of consistently scoring with the man-advantage.

But will they be as strong defensively?

Luckily, the Canadiens have a strong defensive system to rely on, but the sum of their parts do not equal a stronger defensive group than the one they had last season.

The loss of Roman Hamrlik, who finished among the top five shot-blockers in three of the four years on his contract as a Canadien will surely be felt. Even if Gorges and Gill do their part in that regard, one of them is coming off a serious rehabilitation process for the first time in his career and the other is a year older.

For the Canadiens to be just as strong as they were last year in the defensive end, they'll need Alexei Emelin to provide the bruising physical play he's earned a reputation for in Russia.

They'll also need a different version of Jaroslav Spacek, because the one from last season failed to find his rhythm for most of it.

As for Andrei Markov, who is less known for his defensive skills, he has the ability to make the difference on that side of the puck.

How would you pair them up?

Better or worse, I do believe the Canadiens blue line boasts a better balance than the one from last season. I'd pair everybody up as follows:

Markov-Gorges

Both are defensively reliable, both capable of playing big minutes and Markov can afford to take chances with Gorges backing him up.

Subban-Gill

These two obviously know how to play together, and the balance is pretty much the same as it is with the first pair.

Spacek-Emelin

It'll be up to Weber or Diaz to push Spacek out of the lineup out of training camp. Despite Spacek's salary, there's a distinct possibility either one will be able to do that.

Dobber Sports Giant

We all feel the same pain Chic, but things are looking up! We may not have big top two centerman but Eller has size and we've got a nice group of power forwards with AK, MaxPac and now Cole.
    Oh sure! Our future is somehow bright...

And yeah, I would really like to see Weber pushing Spacek to D#7. I don't see Diaz starting the year in MTL though.

Dobber Sports Icon

Not to bombard with Habs-related information, but here's another good article from Engels from yesterday regarding the Habs forward lines: (http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports).

His initial suggested opening night lineup makes sense. His alternate suggestion is also intriguing because it gives Desharnais a chance to play with better playmakers (he's somewhat wasted on the 4th line), but I'd avoid it because (a) I don't see how Martin messes with teh obvious chemistry that existed between MaxPac and Gomez/Gionta, it was lightning in a bottle, and with new face Cole coming in onto the Pleks line and the time it will take for them to build chemistry, you'll want to have the Gomez/Gionta line contribute from day 1; and (b) I think Eller needs to play more than a 4th line role on this team (he is, after all, the future No 2 Cman, at least I think so). That said, I'd be in favor of moving Desharnais to the wing on that 3rd line (AK/Eller/Desharnais) and either having White center the 4th line or bringing in a gritty, faceoff winning, penalty-killing centerman for the 4th line (Konopka would have been perfect).

What say you?

"The Engels Angle: Kostitsyn and Eller, or Pacioretty and Desharnais?

Wed Aug. 10 2011 10:38:58 AM

By Eric Engels

MONTREAL — Most of the paper lineups I've seen this summer have Max Pacioretty penned into the top-six, likely partnered with Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta. Considering Pacioretty's production last season, there's merit to the idea that he has the ability to seize that spot over Andrei Kostitsyn. The question is, does that afford the Canadiens the balance they're seeking?

The general consensus is that Pacioretty was the spark required to ignite any production out of Gomez last season, and that Kostitsyn's inability to do so, or to consistently produce next to Tomas Plekanec, will see him take a back seat to Pacioretty this fall.

Pacioretty scored 24 points in 37 games last season, scoring a hair under a point/game over his final 20 before suffering the trauma inflicted by Zdeno Chara's ruthless, neck-breaking, concussion-inducing hit. Most impressively, of the 14 goals he managed, seven of them came at even strength and the other seven came on the man-advantage, at a point of the season the Canadiens desperately needed a boost in that department.

Pacioretty's versatility can't be denied. He has all the attributes of a legitimate power-forward; incredible speed, a willingness to drive the net, a fantastic shot, and an underrated level of finesse. In fact, in the early part of his career, as he struggled to score with regularity, many fans suggested he didn't have the hand-skills required to fill a role in the top-six.

There's no question he proved those doubters wrong last season. He did so before he came to the NHL, notching 17 goals and 15 assists in 27 games with the Hamilton Bulldogs.

In leveling the AHL throughout November, a call from the Canadiens was imminent, and his immediate seizure of the opportunity he was presented with was proof-positive he belonged where he felt he belonged in Montreal's lineup.

In his success, Pacioretty spread the credit in two directions; to the coaches Cunneyworth and Ladouceur, who unleashed his potential by allowing him to make mistakes and play freely, and to David Desharnais, who Pacioretty referred to as the best player he's ever played with, at any level.

Most are willing to place Kostitsyn on the bubble of the top-six because they're confident he can rekindle what appeared to be nice chemistry with Lars Eller, in the mid months of last season. But too many have discounted Kostitsyn's ability to make this a competition, and they've looked past Pacioretty's chemistry with Desharnais.

And then, you have to consider Eller's role as a shut-down centre in the playoffs. It seemed he found comfort with the team in the late portion of the season, and Martin was happy to afford him a defensive opportunity he handled adeptly in the post-season. He even handled it through the pain of a separated shoulder.

If Eller were to be the team's third line centre, playing with offensive linemates, would Desharnais' role on the team be undefined? Would Desharnais be able to cope with negligible ice-time and a defensive role, plugged in with Ryan White, Mathieu Darche or Travis Moen, and still produce what's expected of him?

Desharnais' offensive potential is much higher than Eller's. Scoring 184 points in 183 AHL games is a testament to that fact, and it's reinforced by his 22 points in 43 NHL games last season. His point-per-game average was twice as good as Eller's was. And considering how the Canadiens are built, they have more scoring depth than they had last season, and are better positioned to operate with three scoring lines.

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Cole-Plekanec-Cammalleri

Kostitsyn-Eller-Darche

Moen-Desharnais-White

This lineup affords the Canadiens a nice scoring mix.

Cole-Gomez-Gionta

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cammalleri

Pacioretty-Desharnais-White

Moen-Eller-Darche

This lineup might afford them a better scoring mix and a better overall balance.

Which do you prefer?"