Page 28 of 607 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 38 78 128 528 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports All-Star

Bulldogs only the 3rd team in AHL history to erase a 3-0 deficit in a series. Let's go boys, one more game and we get a chance to crush the Baby Sens!!
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Killer67 View Post
    Bulldogs only the 3rd team in AHL history to erase a 3-0 deficit in a series. Let's go boys, one more game and we get a chance to crush the Baby Sens!!
    This is great to see. The Bulldogs played such a huge role in the Habs maintaining a playoff spot. I'm glad to see them get rewarded with success on their own turf as well. Here's hoping for a finals appearance!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Eric, brother.....what's the deal w/ Yannick Weber? I know he has the skills as a d-man but how's his offense? Any chance they move Markov to make room for him in 2011?
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Eric, brother.....what's the deal w/ Yannick Weber? I know he has the skills as a d-man but how's his offense? Any chance they move Markov to make room for him in 2011?
    I hate to give a cheesy answer, but we'll have to wait and see. Markov, Wisniewski, Gill and Hamrlik are all UFAs and each re-signing or release (and any other UFA signings) greatly impact Weber both short and long term. Add in the signings of Yemelin and Diaz and it becomes a big mess. We know Spacek and Subban are under contract and we know Gorges will be back.

I'm thinking one of Markov/Wisniewski will be re-signed and one of Gill/Hamrlik will be re-signed as well. If I was a betting man, based on the Yemelin signing I'm guessing Markov is the choice and Gill is much cheaper so he'll be re-signed as well. Wisniewski and Hamrlik would then be let go.

From there, Yemelin can grab the #6 spot which could leave Weber playing the role he played in the playoffs where he is a forward at even strength but plays the point on the PP. It gives him chance for points but I worry that long-term he'll have trouble securing a spot as a dman. When the Habs traded for Mara and Sopel, Weber was the guy pushed to the press box, which tells me that the team does not have confidence in him. But he's only 22 so there's time to mature.

Like I said, a lot depends on what happens with the free agents. The Habs may opt for a youth movement and give Weber a more prominent role which could open the door for more points, but under my scenario he would be stuck on PP2 with Spacek (Subban and Markov would be on PP1). If he plays the full year I'd pencil him in for 20-30 points next year. If he develops properly I could see him hitting 40 but not much more than that.

It's a tough situation to judge right now with the uncertainty. I'll try my best to figure this situation out as the Habs' blueline will be the team's top story this summer.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey Eric,

I noticed in the Markov injury thread that Shoeless mentioned speculation that Marko has signed long term with the Habs and an announcement would be coming soon. I'm confident you would have posted something if you had anything of substance to reference, but I'm wondering if this story has been circulating off the record amongst the local media there.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    Hey Eric,

I noticed in the Markov injury thread that Shoeless mentioned speculation that Marko has signed long term with the Habs and an announcement would be coming soon. I'm confident you would have posted something if you had anything of substance to reference, but I'm wondering if this story has been circulating off the record amongst the local media there.
    I've heard nothing about this, other than the fact that there are some negotiations. The extent of the talks are not known as far as I can tell. The problem is that Markov has never been a vocal person and keeps to himself so the amount of "sources close to the situation" is substantially reduced. Therefore, it's tough to get information about developments.

Administrator

Originally posted by Shakedown here: http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...sion&Itemid=93

Habs signed prospect centerman Joonas Nattinen. Not much is known but I don't expect to see him become anything special offensively. But at 6'2 his size could be a good addition to the roster down the road. Nattinen was drafted in 2009 (3rd round) and for the most part has been buried in the pro league over in Finland. That is the problem with drafting European players - sometimes the young get buried on good teams and don't have the chance to showcase their skills.

Here is his Hockeysfuture bio page: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/joonas_nattinen

The Magnificent One

i think ive asked you this once before but any update on avstyn?

not sure why, probably because he came cheap (late round draft picks) but i own him in all my league. ofcourse the style of play linked to ovechkin helped. i know he wont come close to that upside but anyway any updates on what his status for next yr is? does he have a shot at making the nhl next yr or back to the minors?
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    i think ive asked you this once before but any update on avstyn?

not sure why, probably because he came cheap (late round draft picks) but i own him in all my league. ofcourse the style of play linked to ovechkin helped. i know he wont come close to that upside but anyway any updates on what his status for next yr is? does he have a shot at making the nhl next yr or back to the minors?
    I personally don't think he's ready for the NHL. He had 20 points in 58 games for Hamilton and while that's a good first season in North America, he didn't knock anyone's socks off. My guess is Palushaj, Wyman, Dawes, Boyd and Engqvist are higher on the depth chart and probably fit the coach's style better than Avtsyn does. If he's patient and proves himself (while improving his consistency and all-around game) there is definitely a need for more scoring. For now I just think the coach will opt for more veterans and well-rounded young guys to fill in the last few roster spots.

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I personally don't think he's ready for the NHL. He had 20 points in 58 games for Hamilton and while that's a good first season in North America, he didn't knock anyone's socks off. My guess is Palushaj, Wyman, Dawes, Boyd and Engqvist are higher on the depth chart and probably fit the coach's style better than Avtsyn does. If he's patient and proves himself (while improving his consistency and all-around game) there is definitely a need for more scoring. For now I just think the coach will opt for more veterans and well-rounded young guys to fill in the last few roster spots.
    thanxs. yeah i know he didnt put up that many poitns. but i also think he has some injury for a few months which could have affected those numbers. but thanxs for the info its good to know. yeah i was hoping he would be a big surprise and come up earlier but another season isnt so bad to wait.. if that. i can hope right lol
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    thanxs. yeah i know he didnt put up that many poitns. but i also think he has some injury for a few months which could have affected those numbers. but thanxs for the info its good to know. yeah i was hoping he would be a big surprise and come up earlier but another season isnt so bad to wait.. if that. i can hope right lol
    One thing to remember, he is still ahead of the curve with his development. Very few prospects come over from Europe and step right in. Right now the biggest concern is Avtsyn going back to the KHL (like any other Russian prospect) but for now he appears to be committed to the NHL.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I've heard nothing about this, other than the fact that there are some negotiations. The extent of the talks are not known as far as I can tell. The problem is that Markov has never been a vocal person and keeps to himself so the amount of "sources close to the situation" is substantially reduced. Therefore, it's tough to get information about developments.

Thanks Eric, this makes a lot of sense with Markov's personality. I'm still hopeful he can return to form and be the man in Montreal again, but obviously we're waiting a while longer to see how this unfolds. To me it makes a lot of sense for him to sign a 1 year deal to prove himself healthy & productive again & then look for long term security contract, which mitigates the risk for the team of course.

However, after seeing what Willie Mitchell did with L.A. last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Andrei looking for something similar for term, even with the risk. That being said, again I would like to see him show loyalty and sign a team friendly deal that would be rewarded by the team in turn within his next contract.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    However, after seeing what Willie Mitchell did with L.A. last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Andrei looking for something similar for term, even with the risk. That being said, again I would like to see him show loyalty and sign a team friendly deal that would be rewarded by the team in turn within his next contract.
    This is a stretch. He's not getting any younger and he's probably looking for security. He won't be getting a big contract later because of his age and injury history. He pretty much has to see what the best is he can get now. I understand you want a team friendly deal, but he's also got to look out for himself. What if he has a down year and then has to sign for next to nothing for his skill on another team? This is a sticky and tough contract to figure out. My hope is that Montreal does not put too much weight into how badly they need him. He's good, but at what cost?
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    This is a stretch. He's not getting any younger and he's probably looking for security. He won't be getting a big contract later because of his age and injury history. He pretty much has to see what the best is he can get now. I understand you want a team friendly deal, but he's also got to look out for himself. What if he has a down year and then has to sign for next to nothing for his skill on another team? This is a sticky and tough contract to figure out. My hope is that Montreal does not put too much weight into how badly they need him. He's good, but at what cost?
    On the flip side, one part of a hockey player looking out for himself is to make sure what wherever he signs his next contract, he must make sure this new team will help keep his stock up for when that contract expires. Some players chase the big money and then stink up the joint and never see a big contract again.

Not saying that Markov can't find success elsewhere, but it is worth noting that Montreal has historically been a very good environment for defencemen to put up points. Sometimes leaving a bit of money aside to sign in a place where you know you can succeed can mean more money later. Just something to consider.

Administrator

According to Bob McKenzie, Hal Gill has re-signed for one year with a salary of 2.25 million. In my opinion this is an excellent signing as he is very good defensively and is a good mentor for the young guys, namely PK Subban. These days you don't get much for 2 million so to get a solid player at that price is money well spent.