Page 169 of 244 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 179 219 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 3660

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Ottawa Senators

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    I'm actually surprised to hear that they wanted to trade Lehner. I get that Hammond earned his shot, and that it makes sense to keep a proven veteran, but they believed in Lehner so much that they kept him over Bishop not that long ago. I would have thought that they'd be reluctant to trade him....not happy to. What's with the Lehner-hate Notch?
    He was once my favourite prospect, but two years worth of regression (not just stalled development, but regression) in some very fixable assets of his game have soured me. Not only that, but his attitude sucks and he's as immature as they come. A selfish player that burned a lot of bridges in the room. There was no other option - 0% chance that they were trading Anderson or Hammond - Lehner was on the Green Mile. A lot can change in 2 years and it did.

Poor Matt Spezza, no friends left in Ottawa.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    i trust our scouts 100%.
    No doubt we have a pretty good history at the draft in recent years. But I hate to have to say it: we had Tim Murray on board for most of those years. The guy we just flipped his fave goalie back to for a pick he thought was worth less than Lehner.

EDIT:

or they could be stars, who knows. Getzlaf and Perry were boring picks at the time. If they like White over everyone else then take him regardless of what the nhl team currently has.
    Getzy was the 5th rated NA skater and somehow fell to 19th. 68 points and 121 PIM in 70 games. Perry scored 78 points and 145 PIM in 67 games in the OHL in his draft year. I don't think either guy was considered boring, even if they were undervalued at the time of their draft.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Padawan

Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    No doubt we have a pretty good history at the draft in recent years. But I hate to have to say it: we had Tim Murray on board for most of those years. The guy we just flipped his fave goalie back to for a pick he thought was worth less than Lehner.

EDIT:

Getzy was the 5th rated NA skater and somehow fell to 19th. 68 points and 121 PIM in 70 games. Perry scored 78 points and 145 PIM in 67 games in the OHL in his draft year. I don't think either guy was considered boring, even if they were undervalued at the time of their draft.
    He didn't necessarily think the pick was worth less than Lehner, it's just that the goalie they would have picked, Samsonov, would have taken years to develop whereas Lehner is already here. The sens picks won't be in the NHL for a couple of years at least and Buffalo needs help right away.

anyway as far as the picks I'm really liking these two picks for various reasons, especially white being compared to Bergeron by a lot of people, and again I'll just concede to the scouts and Pierre Dorion especially as they are the brains. Chabot looks very much like a left handed Ceci type of dman. I think white is considered boring because of his boring name. He was ranked top 20 by McKeens, Future Considerations, Hockey Prospect, and McKenzies rankings. Looks like he has intriguing offensive upside and an already developed pro defensive game

Can we all agree that sportsnet was awful? They didn't even list players available, ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    He was once my favourite prospect, but two years worth of regression (not just stalled development, but regression) in some very fixable assets of his game have soured me. Not only that, but his attitude sucks and he's as immature as they come. A selfish player that burned a lot of bridges in the room. There was no other option - 0% chance that they were trading Anderson or Hammond - Lehner was on the Green Mile. A lot can change in 2 years and it did.

Poor Matt Spezza, no friends left in Ottawa.
    they were definitely thinking of trading Anderson after his latest injury shenanigans, though

Dobber Sports Ninja

i trust our scouts 100%. Us fans know nothing about these players. If they didn't take Konecny on two tries, I think that speaks volumes
    Totally agree with this. I was saying the same thing about Ottawa passing on Konecny.

Can we all agree that sportsnet was awful? They didn't even list players available, ever.
    OMG, they were brutal...and where was TSN tonight? Televising CFL Football. Why didn't TSN televise the draft? It must have been some contractual thing where Sportsnet was the sole broadcaster. TSN could have at least held their own live analysis, even if they weren't allowed to have cameras at the draft. Just brutal.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    and where was TSN tonight? Televising CFL Football. Why didn't TSN televise the draft? It must have been some contractual thing where Sportsnet was the sole broadcaster. TSN could have at least held their own live analysis, even if they weren't allowed to have cameras at the draft. Just brutal.
    Sportsnet has the rights to the draft as part of their 15-year deal. That's why it was only on Sportsnet (last year, it was just TSN). There wasn't much TSN could do.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

Lots of American posters on HF compare White to last years Larkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

When you think of what bruins got for one of the league's elite emerging defence men -- i.e., a #1 pick and two others in rounds where the odds of being an impact nhl-er much lower -- it's kind of remarkable Sens got a 1st-rounder for an unproven young goalie with a questionable attitude and a concussion issue (I only knew about last year but i read somewhere today he's had more than one). It appears the Bruins then completely wasted the 3 picks by taking guys ranked much lower. I wonder if they were so sure they'd deal those picks for Coyotes' #3 pick that they weren't quite ready for draft. Their picks remind me of what rookies in hockey pools tend to do.

I think i was a little deflated by our picks precisely because of the dubious picks before we came up. Unfortunately the Jets took the kid Connor who was rated top 10 by some scouts. That's kind of what i was hoping for. Both these picks could be solid but no one is suggesting at this point that either is a "steal," and steals are what i love.

Getting Konecny would have been fun (one of the sports net guys kept raving about his skills, though i remember as a young sen Vermette dominating a skills competition -- had you watched that live, as i did, you'd think the kid was an emerging #1 centre) but if a player is small and has concussion issues as a teenager that's a big warning sign for me. Absolute last thing you want to do is waste a #1 pick, and given the way the game is played, and given emerging science on concussions, i'd say it's wise to stay away from those guys.

Speaking of the Spezza trade, I just regret the fact that the Sens apparently (to me anyway) felt they needed a supposed top six forward back to make that deal work with the fans. Presumably they could have gotten Dallas's #1 pick this year in that package, had they not insisted on Chiasson. Of course no one expected Stars to not make playoffs so the pick had less value then, but still... I put Chiasson in the same class with Cowan -- someone the team has invested heavily in, who is big and looks like he could be an impact player, yet neither have the speed/skills/intensity to be particularly useful. While obviously Sens' scouting staff have forgotten more than i'll ever know, and i hope i'm proven wrong, i hope they don't sign Chiasson to more than a one-year contract. He could be another Greening.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Banned

I wouldn't say they're all that invested in chiasson. I think he's a candidate to be traded and will get a one year contract at best. They weren't gonna get Dallas's first but they were looking for Ritchie instead. They had the Nashville package that the Penguins got which would have been decent but I love Nick Paul's potential.

Also im not a big fan of "steals" because more often than not it's a guy who drops from the Central scouting rankings or whatnot. Mantha, shinkaruk, Angelo Esposito, Cam Fowler, etc. I'd rather have a steal like Karlsson who people think is off the board. I'm not a big fan of guys who drop a lot from the beginning of the season. I dont mind taking guys who drop due to injuries or illness but the konecny drop is pretty concerning. Nobody has scouted him more than The Sens.

Dobber Sports Padawan

i hope ur right about them not signing Chiasson for more than a year, and i hope they take him to arbitration and win. Perhaps an ugly arbitration would put some fire in his belly. I like Paul as well. Future looks good for Sens. White's scouting report suggests Sens getting another Lazar with a bit more height and a bit less personality.

I don't remember where Ceci was ranked but i do remember Sens crowing that they had him ranked much higher than where he was taken. In that case it seemed like a bit of a steal. That's more what i was thinking.

-- Boethius

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by larrylintz View Post
    i hope ur right about them not signing Chiasson for more than a year, and i hope they take him to arbitration and win. Perhaps an ugly arbitration would put some fire in his belly. I like Paul as well. Future looks good for Sens. White's scouting report suggests Sens getting another Lazar with a bit more height and a bit less personality.

I don't remember where Ceci was ranked but i do remember Sens crowing that they had him ranked much higher than where he was taken. In that case it seemed like a bit of a steal. That's more what i was thinking.
    yeah it always cool to see guys like Ceci who we know and watch before being drafted, but I really didn't know anything about this years crop for the most part so maybe we can have a steal on our hands one day with Chabot who apparently the sens loved similar to the Ceci pick

Banned

Ottawa trades up to select big 6'4 winger Gabriel Gagne from Victoriaville

Banned

Ottawa selects centre Filip Chlapik from Charlottetown

Dobber Sports Padawan

yikes, I suspect Buffalo brass feeling sheepish given the peanuts paid to get Talbot and Lack. I have criticized Murray but chapeau to him for (perhaps, maybe lehner the next Carey Price) fleecing his nephew!

-- Boethius