Page 150 of 244 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 160 200 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 3660

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Ottawa Senators

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    The goal is to make the playoffs.
    In whose interest is that objective? The guy in your avatar who i assume you revere? Indeed, it would be an embarrassing legacy for Murray and I suppose that should be our goal as well. :roll eyes: Even if that objective was reachable (who are we going to edge out in wild card race? Bruins? Rangers with McDonough back? An impressive young Florida team on the rise benefitting from high draft picks? Even Leafs look a lot better) only a delusional fan thinks this team has a chance to advance. If you respect Alfie, you need to heed the words of a smart veteran who will presumably play a key management role on this team, when he said the team had no chance of coming back against a Pens team that was subsequently dominated by a Bruins team that couldn't beat the Best from the West for the Cup. Alfie then left the team for a non-elite franchise (at the time, i like Wings' chances a lot better now) because he knew Melnyk's talk of a Cup in two years is a knee-slapper.
    I saw an unscientific poll the other day indicating an overwhelming percentage of fans don't think this team is playoff bound. I think there are enough intelligent fans out there who would appreciate the importance of a high draft pick or even two, even if it isn't the top 2.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Stud

Larry, you're completely out to lunch. This Sens team is nowhere near bad enough to tank and finish in the bottom 3 to get one of those prizes. This draft is supposed to have a relatively deep secondary group, so a guy at 14 could end up being batter than a guy at 6 or 7.
    The Oilers should NEVER be a team to emulate. They're horrible because they're horrible, not because of what conference they're in.
    The Sens actually have some good pieces (Lehner, Karlsson, Ceci, Ryan, Zibanejad, Stone). They are in no way in desperate need of a franchise player like Buffalo, Arizona, New Jersey are.
    If they make the playoffs, it's a bonus for those guys' development. If not, at least they're playing hard and learning from a playoff race in March.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by larrylintz View Post
    [I]

In whose interest is that objective? The guy in your avatar who i assume you revere? Indeed, it would be an embarrassing legacy for Murray and I suppose that should be our goal as well. :roll eyes: Even if that objective was reachable (who are we going to edge out in wild card crave? Bruins? Rangers with McDonough back? An impressive young Florida team on the rise benefitting from high draft picks? Even Leafs look a lot better) only a delusional fan thinks this team has a chance to advance. If you respect Alfie, you need to heed the words of a smart veteran who will presumably play a key management role on this team, when he said the team had no chance of coming back against a Pens team that was subsequently dominated by a Bruins team that couldn't beat the Best from the West for the Cup. Alfie then left the team for a non-elite franchise (at the time, i like Wings' chances a lot better now) because he knew Melnyk's talk of a Cup in two years is a knee-slapper.
    I saw an unscientific poll the other day indicating an overwhelming percentage of fans don't think this team is playoff bound. I think there are enough intelligent fans out there who would appreciate the importance of a high draft pick or even two, even if it isn't the top 2.
    i don't think there are enough intelligent fans in this fanbase, no. Case in point, you thinking Alfie actually left because the Sens weren't going to win a cup.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    Larry, you're completely out to lunch. This Sens team is nowhere near bad enough to tank and finish in the bottom 3 to get one of those prizes. This draft is supposed to have a relatively deep secondary group, so a guy at 14 could end up being batter than a guy at 6 or 7.
    The Oilers should NEVER be a team to emulate. They're horrible because they're horrible, not because of what conference they're in.
    The Sens actually have some good pieces (Lehner, Karlsson, Ceci, Ryan, Zibanejad, Stone). They are in no way in desperate need of a franchise player like Buffalo, Arizona, New Jersey are.
    If they make the playoffs, it's a bonus for those guys' development. If not, at least they're playing hard and learning from a playoff race in March.
    Exactly. Sens have good pieces and some good futures as well. And they've shown the ability to pluck good players at any position in he draft. I'd take playoffs over top pick any day even if we don't win a round. And so would Melnyk because of the extra revenue.

nothing they could do right now would get them a Top 3 pick, and after that it's pretty much a crapshoot in terms of value. For example the Lazar draft. Look at a guy like Horvat who was picked top 10. pretty much the same player.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by larrylintz View Post
    Lol, now on pace for 37 pts playing on top PP unit with all-world QB. Sleeper alert!That was pretty impressive, burying rebound in wide-open net. How many players cld have manage that feat? He was also minus 2.
    Not a lot on our team, because we don't have many left handed shots and we don't have guys who can win faceoffs. That's why Legwand is on the pp, and he's proven his worth there for years.

Dobber Sports Padawan

We're not far off the very bottom of the league, if Anderson was playing like he did last year Sens record would be comparable.
    I don't want them to deliberately tank, i don't think any team would do that and risk the wrath of their fans and the league. But if they trade anything remotely valuable for a Chris Stewart, which Murray may do because it's literally his last shot, that would be pure insanity. If they are clearly out of it by February I hope they do what they can to secure a 2nd first round draft pick.
    Ev, i think you'd be more in your element on a forum sponsored by the Sens Official Booster Club!
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Initiate

It sure would have been nice to see Andy score last night. So close!
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    It sure would have been nice to see Andy score last night. So close!
    It was my New Years Resolution this year - to score (PS, I'm a goalie). Couple more games to go, but sadly, I have my doubts.

Tonight at 8:30, tomorrow at 3:30 then a one-day 3-on-3 tournament in Blackstock on Saturday. Probably only 5 or 6 more games for me in 2014.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Initiate

I hope you get one dude. Let me know if you do
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Ninja

...and the first goal goes to the Caps...Jay Beagle pursued that puck like a dog after a bone, scoring on Anderson with a dogged effort...maybe Cowen will end up in the coach's doghouse!

...and Condra evens it up after stripping Ill Douché (Mike Green). Yeah, I'm bored.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    I hope you get one dude. Let me know if you do
    Nope. Last night I even purposely let in a goal with 5 minutes left to make it a two-goal game in hopes the other team would pull their goalie shortly after. No luck.

I'm a failure.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Exactly. Sens have good pieces and some good futures as well. And they've shown the ability to pluck good players at any position in he draft. I'd take playoffs over top pick any day even if we don't win a round. And so would Melnyk because of the extra revenue.

nothing they could do right now would get them a Top 3 pick, and after that it's pretty much a crapshoot in terms of value. For example the Lazar draft. Look at a guy like Horvat who was picked top 10. pretty much the same player.
    If you would take a 1st round exit from the playoffs instead of McDavid/Eichel you need to give your head a shake. Those players are franchise centres which the Sens need and they very rarely are acquired outside the draft. Sens have good pieces but they still need that number 1 centre and better defenceman.

The playoffs are out of reach for the Sens right now as history has shown us it is extremely difficult to make the playoffs being this far out at this time.
    20 Team Keeper (H2H, Keep 15)
    Roster: 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 3 F, 5 D, 2 G, 4 BN, 3IR
    Catg: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Sh%, H, Blk, W, GAA, Sv%, Saves, SO

C: Craig Smith, Brock Nelson
    LW: Benn, Ryan, Andrew Ladd, Tanguay
    RW: Vanek, Saad, Hemsky, Mark Stone
    D:Yandle, Gardiner, Goligoski, Kulikov, Girardi, Daley
    G: Scneider, Anderson, Svedberg

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan15 View Post
    If you would take a 1st round exit from the playoffs instead of McDavid/Eichel you need to give your head a shake. Those players are franchise centres which the Sens need and they very rarely are acquired outside the draft. Sens have good pieces but they still need that number 1 centre and better defenceman.

The playoffs are out of reach for the Sens right now as history has shown us it is extremely difficult to make the playoffs being this far out at this time.
    I think the problem is, they're not bad enough to have a shot at McDavid/Eichel. Right now, there are eight teams below the Sens in the standings. Can you really see all of them outpointing the Sens the rest of the way?

Even if you just want a fifth overall pick, you would need Ottawa to get less points from here on out than at least four other teams. How do you do that? New Jersey, who is in the fifth-worst spot (and would have fifth overall if they don't win the lottery), has four less points than the Sens, but have played three more games. Do the Sens intentionally lose three games, and then hope they are worse than New Jersey for the next 40-someodd games?

For the Sens, it's better to try to make the playoffs than to tank. Tanking at this stage gets them nowhere.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I think the problem is, they're not bad enough to have a shot at McDavid/Eichel. Right now, there are eight teams below the Sens in the standings. Can you really see all of them outpointing the Sens the rest of the way?

Even if you just want a fifth overall pick, you would need Ottawa to get less points from here on out than at least four other teams. How do you do that? New Jersey, who is in the fifth-worst spot (and would have fifth overall if they don't win the lottery), has four less points than the Sens, but have played three more games. Do the Sens intentionally lose three games, and then hope they are worse than New Jersey for the next 40-someodd games?

For the Sens, it's better to try to make the playoffs than to tank. Tanking at this stage gets them nowhere.
    I agree in that I don't think they are bad enough to be in the bottom 3 and I'm not advocating tanking/intentionally losing. More so, I am in favour if they can sell off veterans for long term assets. Craig Anderson is 33 and his value will never be higher than it is right now. History has shown goalies are in for a decline right around this age and once he gets 35 there will be a steep decline in performance. Sens won't be a SC contender for a couple of years so you are better off selling high now while you can. So if you can get a 1st round pick from a team like the Wild I would be in favour of making that trade.

Also, by trading Anderson for likely can move up a few spots in the draft while having a better chance at winning the lottery. The team would have to play lights out for them to even have a chance at the playoffs. Say 96 points gets you into the playoffs, then the Sens would have to play at a 105 point/82 game pace to get in. I really have a hard time seeing that happen. And say it does happen, Sens get bounced in 1st round by Tampa and you are continuing on this mediocre treadmill or an average team.
    20 Team Keeper (H2H, Keep 15)
    Roster: 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 3 F, 5 D, 2 G, 4 BN, 3IR
    Catg: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Sh%, H, Blk, W, GAA, Sv%, Saves, SO

C: Craig Smith, Brock Nelson
    LW: Benn, Ryan, Andrew Ladd, Tanguay
    RW: Vanek, Saad, Hemsky, Mark Stone
    D:Yandle, Gardiner, Goligoski, Kulikov, Girardi, Daley
    G: Scneider, Anderson, Svedberg

Dobber Sports Genius

Sens are set to call up offensive DMan Chris Wideman and that will be well deserved. Figured it would happen at some point this season. Congrats Chris.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala