Page 149 of 244 FirstFirst ... 49 99 139 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 159 199 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 3660

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Ottawa Senators

Quote Originally Posted by potatoetree View Post
    And now McLean is gone!
    Farewell sweet stache.

Dobber Sports Padawan

wow, that was weird they'd do it after perhaps the most exciting game of year and big character game, will lead to more 2nd guessing than if they waited till another loss. but we knew yesterday a press conf was scheduled so i guess the die had been cast. I liked him in a lot of ways but the incessant line-juggling was not helpful and he made bad calls last year on goaltending and on using cowan, i think murray must have had his mind set. feel badly for the guy, never saw him react the way he did after last nite's win.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Legwand with 4 PPP on his last 5 games. But why is he on pp, says the fans? Hmmmmm
    But why even play him even if he is playing well (which he isn't)? The Sens aren't going to be a good hockey team unless their young players develop into above average NHL players. So wasting minutes on the likes of Legwand, Phillips, Neil, Smith etc... isn't doing anything for the future of this team and I think I speak for a lot of people here.

All these vets aren't going to get better all of a sudden at their age so you might as well play the young players and hope they develop. It would be different if these team was on the cusp, but this isn't a playoff team. Management should try to get any value out of these vets that they can and let the kids properly develop. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and you get a good pick in a stacked draft class. But playing guys like Michalek and Legwand is just wasting everyones time.
    20 Team Keeper (H2H, Keep 15)
    Roster: 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 3 F, 5 D, 2 G, 4 BN, 3IR
    Catg: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Sh%, H, Blk, W, GAA, Sv%, Saves, SO

C: Craig Smith, Brock Nelson
    LW: Benn, Ryan, Andrew Ladd, Tanguay
    RW: Vanek, Saad, Hemsky, Mark Stone
    D:Yandle, Gardiner, Goligoski, Kulikov, Girardi, Daley
    G: Scneider, Anderson, Svedberg

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan15 View Post
    But why even play him even if he is playing well (which he isn't)? The Sens aren't going to be a good hockey team unless their young players develop into above average NHL players. So wasting minutes on the likes of Legwand, Phillips, Neil, Smith etc... isn't doing anything for the future of this team and I think I speak for a lot of people here.

All these vets aren't going to get better all of a sudden at their age so you might as well play the young players and hope they develop. It would be different if these team was on the cusp, but this isn't a playoff team. Management should try to get any value out of these vets that they can and let the kids properly develop. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and you get a good pick in a stacked draft class. But playing guys like Michalek and Legwand is just wasting everyones time.
    Having veterans like Legwand and Michalek is very important.

Throwing out youngsters to the wolves for the sake of "development" is not really the best strategy, and often results in what we call the Edmonton Oilers.
    Sheltering their minutes but then being able to recognize when they would thrive and benefit from more responsibility, is a trademark skill of a strong coaching unit.

Now that being said, when a coach is not able to recognize that a player can handle more responsibility, that's when you start running into trouble... and "wasting minutes" on veterans
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think this is the end of Legwand's little point run, what i'm hearing today is that new coach will give youngsters more rope so I bet the first thing we see is Legwand off pp#1 and maybe off pp entirely, and Ryan gets a bigger role. And the unfathomable idiocy of having a philosophy that would lead to the breaking up the kid line to get other lines going will be junked. I hope someone adds up the salaries of near-useless players on that roster, players signed for purely PR reasons to appease delusional fans who think this is a Cup contender being built, because it would be interesting to see what one could do with that kind of money.
    I heard a rumour they're still considering a deal for a top six veteran, if that happens that would be the ultimate example of why Canadian teams don't win cups.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Padawan

From today's Bleacher report on the one player likely to regress on each team:

Statistically speaking: 28 games, five goals, seven assists, 12 points, 16.7 shooting percentage
    Why he'll regress: The Senators brought Legwand in for depth at center after dealing away Jason Spezza. But that was with an eye on making the playoffs, which seems like a bit of a long shot now that the team has fired its coach. With plenty of youngsters needing more time to grow, Legwand's role could become even less important (outside of mentorship). The 34-year-old is also humming along with a 16.7 shooting percentage.

-- Boethius

Banned

Legwand is on pace for 35 points. How is he going to regress exactly? Even if he isn't used in offensive situations he will hit that most likely.

Banned

but damn that was a good effort and game last night. Lost to the Kings, what can you do. Hopefully we can get Cameron's first win soon. Loving what I'm hearing and seeing from him so far. I think Cowen is gonna see one of the biggest improvements under him even though he was excellent under MacLean the last little while

Dobber Sports Genius

Phillips is a healthy scratch this afternoon against Boston.

I like your cojones Cameron.

What a gongshow this team is right now. Methot at the forefront.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Having veterans like Legwand and Michalek is very important.

Throwing out youngsters to the wolves for the sake of "development" is not really the best strategy, and often results in what we call the Edmonton Oilers.
    Sheltering their minutes but then being able to recognize when they would thrive and benefit from more responsibility, is a trademark skill of a strong coaching unit.

Now that being said, when a coach is not able to recognize that a player can handle more responsibility, that's when you start running into trouble... and "wasting minutes" on veterans
    I really hope this is a troll post. Edmonton sucks because their goaltending is awful and they play in the Western Conference, not because of their young players. Hopkins, Hall, Eberle are their best players so I am not sure what you are getting at..

If Ottawa was in the Western Conference with their goaltending they would have the lowest amount of points in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by larrylintz View Post
    I think this is the end of Legwand's little point run, what i'm hearing today is that new coach will give youngsters more rope so I bet the first thing we see is Legwand off pp#1 and maybe off pp entirely, and Ryan gets a bigger role. And the unfathomable idiocy of having a philosophy that would lead to the breaking up the kid line to get other lines going will be junked. I hope someone adds up the salaries of near-useless players on that roster, players signed for purely PR reasons to appease delusional fans who think this is a Cup contender being built, because it would be interesting to see what one could do with that kind of money.
    I heard a rumour they're still considering a deal for a top six veteran, if that happens that would be the ultimate example of why Canadian teams don't win cups.
    This has Melnyk written all over it. He's running the organization into the ground. Making the playoffs this year does nothing for the franchise long term except continue this treadmill of being bubble playoff team. This team needs elite talent and the only way to get that is in the draft or trade. This team isn't going to win a championship with this core of players so as painful as it sounds it is probably better for them to lose than win.

And like you said if you are a budget team you can't waste almost $15 million on expensive veterans who have little value like Greening, Michalek, Phillips, Neil, Smith.

Banned

The goal is to make the playoffs. Period. With the way they're playing under cameron, I like our chances. Even if they don't, they're not bad enough to get a top 3 pick unless they won the lottery. Losing just to get players is this and doesn't guarantee anything. See edmonton.

Also zack Smith is not an expensive veteran. He's neither one of those things.

Potatotree is bang on.

Banned

Legwand with another pp goal. Why is he playing?,?,!

Dobber Sports Padawan

At this point a smart GM wld emulate Oilers when Mcdavid & Eichel up 4 grabs

-- Boethius

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Legwand with another pp goal. Why is he playing?,?,!

Lol, now on pace for 37 pts playing on top PP unit with all-world QB. Sleeper alert!That was pretty impressive, burying rebound in wide-open net. How many players cld have manage that feat? He was also minus 2.

-- Boethius