Page 143 of 244 FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 153 193 243 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 3660

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Ottawa Senators

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    disagree big time there. Legwand is a solid vet, can play every situation and has almost 1000 games in the league. He wanted to be here as well. Id take him over pageau and grant without a doubt. And it's not 6 times the cost, but even if it was, people complain that they don't spend money. That was an amazing signing and The Sens offseason was one of the best in recent memory. Hell it's likely Legwand is our second line centre very soon. I think you've been reading too many Sens blogs - having yet another young guy in the lineup rather than Legwand would not be good.
    First of all I form my opinion on what I see with my eyes while watching the games and then use stats to back those opinions up. Legwand is a good player and has been in his career but he is playing in a 3rd/4th line role. He isn't going to be a 2C unless Zibby gets hurt. My issue is using that money on Legwand and Milan when you can spend the money elsewhere to improve the team. A top 4Dman would of been a lot better than having Milan and Legwand.

Also Legwand is getting really old and a steep decline is probably on its way. Now if they can use him as trade bait come the deadline that signing will have been very good.
    20 Team Keeper (H2H, Keep 15)
    Roster: 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 3 F, 5 D, 2 G, 4 BN, 3IR
    Catg: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Sh%, H, Blk, W, GAA, Sv%, Saves, SO

C: Craig Smith, Brock Nelson
    LW: Benn, Ryan, Andrew Ladd, Tanguay
    RW: Vanek, Saad, Hemsky, Mark Stone
    D:Yandle, Gardiner, Goligoski, Kulikov, Girardi, Daley
    G: Scneider, Anderson, Svedberg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Pretty exciting home opener for the Senators and great to see a victory with a packed house. My takeaways from the game:

Good
    -Curtis Lazar played his best game of the season by far. He seemed more relaxed and the strong hockey sense was very evident. If he continues to play at 80% of what he did last night he should be in the top 9 all year.

-Mark Stone looked terrific on not only the GWG but all game. He has extraordinary hockey sense and is extremely smart with the puck and seems to have a knack for controlling play when he is on the ice.

-Bobby Ryan had his best game of the season. I really like him on the LW as he can out from the wall and be in a great position to shoot the puck or create offence.

Bad
    -Defence was just awful. So many brutal turnovers in their own end which led to scoring chances for COL. Ceci was the best of the group and Karlsson was just average by his standards but everyone else on the back end struggled. One play that stood out to me was Chris Phillips letting COL take the puck for a one on one when he easily could have stepped up and shot the puck in. His decline in speed is pretty scary.

-Besides scoring a goal around the net Legwand looked pretty bad. He was brutal on the PP turning the puck over numerous times in the offensive zone. For a guy getting up there in age you hope he can manage to play at an average level.

Also Craig Anderson looked very good in goal after giving up 3 in the first period, which I didn't fault him for any. Zibanejad also was really good in the faceoff dot.

Banned

I really like zibanejad with ryan and chiasson for this year but he'll have to keep getting better and better or Lazar will take his spot in the near future.

So far the additions of Lazar, Boro, and Legwand and departures of certain players have improved thee team defence and leadership of the group by a good margin.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I really like zibanejad with ryan and chiasson for this year but he'll have to keep getting better and better or Lazar will take his spot in the near future.

So far the additions of Lazar, Boro, and Legwand and departures of certain players have improved thee team defence and leadership of the group by a good margin.
    I wouldn't go that far. Its been 4 games and they could very well be 1-3 right now. The team defence still has major issues mostly because of the defence. Boro had a pretty bad game last night and has shown to be really undisciplined taking stupid penalties. If Cowen is going to come in to play in the next few games I think Boro is the guy you take out.

Dobber Sports Genius

Man, Lehner's rebound control still needs work. It was once of his main problems last season too. So many times tonight (and in his first game) he couldn't stop the play when his team needed it on some simple shots after being trapped in their zone.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    Man, Lehner's rebound control still needs work. It was once of his main problems last season too. So many times tonight (and in his first game) he couldn't stop the play when his team needed it on some simple shots after being trapped in their zone.
    I agree, some of them were pretty bad. He likely allows an extra 5 SOG per game because of it. At least he can make up for it with his size and athleticism.

Hoffman was unreal tonight. He has game changing speed and like Stone seems to have a knack for taking the puck away. Defence was better today but there are still a few issues. The Zibby line needs to have more Ozone starts as they are a train wreck in their own zone but seem to control the puck well with their size in the Ozone. Either than or put a guy like Lazar or Hoffman on that line to have more speed.

Can't really see Greening getting any playing time with how the forwards played. Same with Cowen unless they want to take out Boro.

Dobber Sports Genius

It's nice when another poster sees the same game I just watched.

Cowen shouldn't touch Boro right now as Boro is playing exactly the way he's being asked...presumably. But yes, Cowen will need to play soon with all the extra one-on-one time he is getting in practice as well as watching the game from above lately - we will see if he has the capability to learn.

Disagree with changing up the ZBad line though, just give them the Ozone starts you mentioned and leave it the way it is.

Greening has trade value in my opinion, even with his slightly inflated contract.

Dobber Sports Genius

What did you think of Wiercioch tonight?

Not good in my opinion. I can see Cowen in for Wiercioch fairly soon. Soft, slow and not even smrt breakout decisions.

Banned

I agree, Cowen in for Wiercioch next game. One of them will have to take the spot or they may be both on e outside looking in.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    What did you think of Wiercioch tonight?

Not good in my opinion. I can see Cowen in for Wiercioch fairly soon. Soft, slow and not even smrt breakout decisions.
    I thought he was pretty decent, not the best Dman out there, not the worst. He had one bad turnover but did a good job of controlling the puck. I think he is a better player than Cowen as he at least is in the right position most of the time and has great vision on the breakout as well as a great shot. Small sample size but he seems to compliment Ceci much better than Phillips, Boro or Cowen.

Like you said Boro has done everything he has been asked but he just isn't very good. He's a 6th defenceman and doesn't have any potential to be more than that. The one thing that I don't like is he takes too many penalties. I think Gryba is the weakest link right now but since he plays the right side you can't really do much about it until Methot is back.

As for Greening I doubt anyone wants to take on that contract. He's an average 4th line player on a contending team but the cap hit is way too high for that role. If I get an an offer for even a 7th round pick I would take it. Heck, I'd let a team have him for free but I would think the team acquiring him will want OTT to take on another contract.

The thing about the Zbad line was they got a lot of Dzone starts more than any other line. As we saw in the last 5 min they have trouble breaking out of the zone. I think the best thing to do is have the Turris line start more in the Dzone as they are one of the best trios at exiting the zone with possession.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan15 View Post
    I thought he was pretty decent, not the best Dman out there, not the worst. He had one bad turnover but did a good job of controlling the puck. I think he is a better player than Cowen as he at least is in the right position most of the time and has great vision on the breakout as well as a great shot. Small sample size but he seems to compliment Ceci much better than Phillips, Boro or Cowen.

Like you said Boro has done everything he has been asked but he just isn't very good. He's a 6th defenceman and doesn't have any potential to be more than that. The one thing that I don't like is he takes too many penalties. I think Gryba is the weakest link right now but since he plays the right side you can't really do much about it until Methot is back.

The thing about the Zbad line was they got a lot of Dzone starts more than any other line. As we saw in the last 5 min they have trouble breaking out of the zone. I think the best thing to do is have the Turris line start more in the Dzone as they are one of the best trios at exiting the zone with possession.
    I disagree that Boro isnt a good player. He's exactly what you want out of a bottom pairing dman, plays his role perfectly. People need to stop wanting every dman to be a puck possession guy, cup teams have all sorts of players and some like Boro.

i love zibby but he may need a game or two in the press box to get going. Call up Pageau for a bit and see where he's at.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I disagree that Boro isnt a good player. He's exactly what you want out of a bottom pairing dman, plays his role perfectly. People need to stop wanting every dman to be a puck possession guy, cup teams have all sorts of players and some like Boro.

i love zibby but he may need a game or two in the press box to get going. Call up Pageau for a bit and see where he's at.
    He's a fine #6/7 dman but this team has lots of those guys already. Phillips should be in that role ideally and I wouldn't call Wiercioch or Cowen top 4 Dman right now. Like I said the only problem I have with him is his tendency to take stupid penalties. Its like the Chris Neil syndrome in thinking he has to take single minor rouging calls to show everyone he's tough.

I don't think Zbad has played badly at all. He is skating fine but that entire line just seems to be stuck in their end far too often. Zach Smith IMO had a worse game tonight with a couple bad turnovers.

Banned

Ryan and zibby have both been pretty bad so far. Zibby is at least winning splits of draws. He just looks like a guy who is a slow starter especially with the added weight this offseason. I don't have any concerns but wouldn't mind scratching him and letting Legwand or Lazar take his ice time. He's very young and can learn from watching and taking a breather.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ryan and zibby have both been pretty bad so far. Zibby is at least winning splits of draws. He just looks like a guy who is a slow starter especially with the added weight this offseason. I don't have any concerns but wouldn't mind scratching him and letting Legwand or Lazar take his ice time. He's very young and can learn from watching and taking a breather.
    They haven't looked great but you have to play them anyways. Zibby is one of the youngest guys on the team so you can't expect consistency all the time with him. I know you like him but I'm not a Legwand fan. I don't really see him making that line any better as he is slower than Zibby and then that line really has no speed.

As for Lazar I think he is much better on the wing. He's really been good the last 2 games and that has been as a winger. It seems like less responsibility is better for him until he can better adjust to the NHL level. The kid is only 19 years old, I'm not sure throwing him in there as a 2C is the best idea. I'd love to throw Hoffman on that 2nd line for Chiasson just to see if they can be better at getting the puck out of the zone. Ryan is great as a LW in the Ozone but he has struggled at getting the puck out of the Dzone on his offwing.

Banned

Legwand is a good skater. Zibby is lagging right now as he added weight in the offseason. Right now he's probably one of the slowest out there. He can sit just as an older guy like Cowen can, a guy who is making way more money. That being saidi don't expect it.

They got Legwand in order to plug him in if zibby was struggling. Legwand and ryan would work well together if needed. Legwand is such a solid player, he'd just feed picks to ryan and know where to go in order to make things happen. He almost had two goals last night. One of the top scoring centres last year as well.

i don't mind Lazar right now on wing, he can play either position. But again zibby will need to have a good year or he mint be taking his spot sooner than later. I might be inclined to switch zibby to win in order for him to shoot the puck at all times. He's not doing it right now.