Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired - Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Veteran

Look for the Monster in the nets on Wednesday....

Jonas Gustavsson will start for Toronto on Wednesday night against the Rangers.
    The Leafs are back in action on Thursday night versus the Anaheim Ducks and Jean-Sebastien Giguere will get the go ahead to play his former team in that match-up. Adjust your goaltending lineup accordingly.

Source: Toronto Star

Dobber Sports Initiate

National Post writer Michael Traikos asks the question

Should the Leafs sell high on MacArthur? http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...arthur/?like=1

I think not. MacArthur at 25 is a lucky find for the leafs and to dump or trade him for a draft pick or a prospect would be dumb in my opinion. He already is a great prospect that should be contributing 65 to 75 points and 25 to 30 goals a season for the next 5 to 7 years. The whole idea of trading of parts to build for the future is to acquire young promising players like MacArthur. Leafs finally have one line that is very good and productive MacArthur, Grabovski and Kulemin. don't break it up build on it and add some more pieces.

We can move Beauchemin but not for a draft pick. If he was part of a deal with San Jose if it is not Pavelski coming back don't do it Setagouchi is not an upgrade over leafs current spare parts.

If the deal is with Edmonton and they sure could use Beauchemin then it must be part of a deal for Penner, Brule maybe Cogliano (not sure about him) else don't do it.

Columbus could use Beauchemin as well but unless he is part of a package that included Vorachuk or Brassard I would pass. Columbus needs help in net as well so perhaps a package of Beauchemin and a goalie for Brassard might work. Columbus is not happy with Brassards progress. Hey maybe Bozak could be part of that as if we got Brassard we would not have a need for Bozak. So something like Beauchemin, Bozak and Giguere, Scrivens or Rynnas for Brassard could be put together.

If the leafs can swing a deal with LA as they could use Beauchemin as well they need a solid upgrade Stoll would be questionable he is not much of an improvement over Bozak. The real gem would be Schenn or Loktinov, both centers, and LA does not need both going forward. I suspect Schenn will be next to impossible to steal but perhaps a deal for Loktinov could be worked out.

If Burke can get a quality center with upside potential like Brassard the deal could include Beauchimin and Bozak. If La woud move either Schenn or Loktinov then I would suggest a package deal is the way to go. It would be awsome to have the Schenn brothers on the same team. Burke knows that from putting the deal together that kept the Sedin twins together.

Just dont give up on Kessel, Kulemin, Grabovski, MacArthur or Versteeg they are the young future of a potentially great group of forwards. If you do move any of those guys it can only be because something great, I mean really great is coming back.

At any rate I take Burke at his word and he is not going to dump any of the quality guys even Beauchemin for prospects or picks. (Schenn excluded)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Nice read and I agree that we have to keep that young core of players and I have said before that Brassard would be a great target though I am not sure that CBJ would move him for Beauch...maybe Kabby who is a must to move as much as I love him but if your looking for talent and youth like brassard or Schenn then its going to cost you Tomas Kaberle. A pick would be just fine for Beauch IMO he doesnt have much to offer a team in the way of offensive upside he is really just a steady NHL D-Man.

Great read again good work!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I expect Kaberle to play out the season with the leafs. His history suggests he will not request a move nor will Burke ask him to move.

Burke may not resign him especially if he wants a raise and thus next year there will be a spot to be filled on D. If Beauchemin is traded as well then we have two spots to fill. Aulie gets one but leafs would be short a puck moving D next year.

Not good. So moving Beauchemin for a 2nd round pick make no sense.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kbooks View Post
    I expect Kaberle to play out the season with the leafs. His history suggests he will not request a move nor will Burke ask him to move.

Burke may not resign him especially if he wants a raise and thus next year there will be a spot to be filled on D. If Beauchemin is traded as well then we have two spots to fill. Aulie gets one but leafs would be short a puck moving D next year.

Not good. So moving Beauchemin for a 2nd round pick make no sense.
    I am not so sure you have noticed but the Leafs are horrible and will be for awhile so there is no need to keep vets like Kabby, Beacuh, and Kommy...really we could bring up anyone for what I care why float in the middle / bottom with these guys??

I have said it before if we are to rebuild then go all the way hell tonight it looks like they are the Spits and NYR are the Pens and they have been outscored 13-2 in the last 3 games since Reimer went down.....

Burke may not have asked kabby last year but this year his job could be on the line if he doesnt so I highly expect that he is shopping right now and Kabby will not finish the year...

hell I would rather see Aulie, Blacker Lashoff then Kabby, Beauch and Kommy and not becuase they are better but atleast lets see what we have in these kids!!

I stress this we are not winning with the vets so..........I will always love the leafs but moves have to be made!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

For the record I still say that we are a handfull of players away from having a solid team! We need a couple of 1st line players and a young D-Man I think that we may have the answer in net playing in the AHL and thats OK....the team is going to get there but make no mistake having the vets they do makes no sense!!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Here is the structure that I see needing replacements:

1: X, X, Kessel
    2: MacArthur, Grabovski, Kulemin
    3: Versteeg, X, Armstrong
    4: Brown, X, Orr (not sure he is essential but I know that is debatable)

Bozak is not going to be the number 1 center we need. Grabovski has closed the door on Bozak having a spot on the team going forward.

Boyce, Sjostrom, Mitchell, Brent, Crabb, are spare parts and easily replaceable.

We need 4 upgrades at forward especially on the 1st line or I guess it is now the 2nd line. Kadri might be able to fill a spot but that is still a big question mark. Mueller or D'Amigo might fit in but that is groping at straws. I would estimate they will not be able to be taken seriously until at least 2013 if then. Draft picks Ross, Mckeeg etc are not likely to be able to earn a spot next year. This means for the leafs to improve we must pick up 3 to 4 quality players without giving up any of the players already slotted in. This is not going to be easy as it does not look like much will be available on the UFA market this summer and while Burke might get one player in a trade I don't see how it is possible to fill all the wholes at forward in the near future.

On Defense

1. Schenn, Phaneuf
    2. Gunnarsson, Aulie
    3. Beauchmin, X

I am assuming Kaberle will not be resigned. If Beauchemin is traded perhaps one of Lashoff, Holzer, Gysberg can fill the 5th spot with Komisarik clogging up the 6th spot.

The team would be improved if Burke canfind away to unload Komisarik. He did it last year with Toskala and Blake so I quess their is always hope however slim. Komisarik is a serious liability on defence. Lebda is another bust, Finger would be better. In fact I would rather have Finger than either Komisarik or Lebda but Finger is injured and would have to pass waivers to be brought back so that option is unavailable this year.

In Goal:

Reimer, Gustafsson (perhaps Rynnas or Scrivens after tonights debacle)
    Giguerre will likely be traded at the trade deadline but in any case I would be surprised if he is resigned by the leafs. Just does not make sense to tie up the cap space Giguere would require. If he can be signed for 1 year at $2M perhaps but it might be better to just move on.

The future is not bright but that is how I see it I am sad to say.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I agree with what you have posted here for sure I do think that Bozak could fill the 3rd line centre roll and I lilke what I see in that Boyce kid as a potential 4th line centre really the 2 top line players are a must and I am still holding out hope that Kadri is one of them??

As funny as it sounds I think the Leafs future in net is Reimer and Rynnas I know thats sounds crazy and underwhelming but I like what I saw and Reimer and I also like what I saw in Rynnas early in the season...

Basically what you have written above is what I have been saying on this section for a few weeks now though I still think that we could lose Beauch I would really like to see what this Blacker kid can do I have heard and seen good things in him.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Blacker is a good prospect but it is likely that he is a couple of years away form the NHL.

I would really like to see Burke try to wheel and deal for that center we need. The players I would like to see him target are: Pavelski, Brassard, Schenn or Loktinov. Lesser lights that might work would be Brule, Boyes, even Cogliano they will not be as costly. Just don't chase Spezza he would be a disaster in Toronto in my opinion.

If those guys are all unatainable we might have to settle for band aid boy Tim Connoly who is a UFA this summer. Brad Richards would be perfect but I don't think he will be available. If he does test the open market the competition for his services will be high with NYR and the front of the pack.

We need another miracle from Burke. Although the luster of the Phaneuf deal is fading as Phaneuf continues to under achieve. In the end it will be Aulie that makes that deal a winner.

I fear that by next year leaf fans will be dumping on Phaneuf the way they did with McCabe.

I agree with you about the goalies. Reimer will be no. 1 next year and it is an open question as to wether Gustavsson or Rynnas will be number 2. In fact if tonights game is another disaster Reimer could be back in net by next week.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Last nights game let me see 2 things...

1. Man we need to fill those holes that I have and now (Kbooks) have been speaking of although I don't think we have as many as people think they are very important roles!

2. I wish we made more of an attempt at getting Wolski. I know most of you will disagree with me but I like the guy and he looked fine to me on the ice and I think he could fit nicely with Kessel. Now I would not have given up Versteeg for him but I am sure we could have offered better than what PHO got!!

Anyways The Monster is just that he is just not an everyday NHL goalie I think that it is safe to say that even if he was moved to another team that he would not succeed. To me its his mentality is not what it should be for a #1 he gets rattled way to easy.

Burke needs to get started filling the holes and getting some picks IMO its just way to quite. Also during last nights self destruction I really payed attention to the bench and the reactions of Wilson. I will admit I have been up and down with his firing, I still think that he has the right mentality to deal with the crazy media in T.O. but last night when they were getting smoked he sat back and moped, no spirit no heart. We are a young team (Youngest in the NHL) and we need someone with fire regardless of the score those kids should be out there playing for the chance to play tomorrow!! My decision is FINAL Wilson has to go and I say again that a guy like MacT is the right man for the job!

Go Leafs Go....PLEASE!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Not that it should be a surprise to anyone but Giggy is getting the start tonight against ANA.

I am actually going to go on a limb here and say that against his former team he will have a strong performance I am not going to say that he wins tongiht but he will play well.

Also something to note is that he has already stated that he will waive his no trade clause to move to another team IF (and it will be hard) Burke can find a team that wants him and the rest of his contract this year.
    Last edited by JD88; January 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM.

Administrator

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/2011/01/gustavsson/

Thought it would be appropriate to post this here. Two separate opinions of Jonas Gustavsson. Enjoy!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    http://www.thegoalieguild.com/2011/01/gustavsson/

Thought it would be appropriate to post this here. Two separate opinions of Jonas Gustavsson. Enjoy!
    Always great to read this stuff thanks for the post!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well I knew that Giggy would have a strong game against his old team and I am sure that there was some money put up by him for the win....errrrr I mean ahhh not money but we'll call it........ candy

The MacA-Grabo-Kully line looked once again fantastic and I think that it is safe to say that Burke needs to get these young guys signed long term and the Leafs have there #2 line going forward for years to come!

I liked having Armstrong back up on the top line and felt that he and Bozak clicked well which is a good thing going forward becuase once we do get those 2 top line players that we need then Armstrong-Bozak-Versteeg will make up a very solid #3 line!

So there you have 2 lines down and really only 1 to go because with Orr-Brown and ??? (whoever at this point) the 4th line is set.

I like what the Leafs have in parts up front up but again still missing big pieces but last night was a very strong performance and the team bounced back from that horrid loss to NYR the night before.

Grabo looked very cool and calm around the net and seems to be finding a confidence and poise to keep this going. Bozak too looked really good last night I could see him as a potential Selke candidate once he finds his proper roll on the team he is a very responsible defensive forward.

So some questions marks left up on the top line, in the net and the bottom paring of the D (once some vets get moved) but really as up and down as the season has been I see something there that has potential to grow if the right guys are brought in. The trouble that Burke is going to have is that really we have no assets to move other than our vets and if we do move them (which we should) then my fellow Leaf fans things are going to get a little worse before they get better but remember lets think long term here. Alot of these guy that I spoke of up top that the Leafs need to keep are young and will be in some cases even getting better as they get more experience and find their NHL legs and rolls!

Good win last night boys and I expect that we will see Giggy in the nets again Sat, as we hopefully showcase him for a move out of T.O.

Go Leafs Go!!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I little flurey of updates....

- Giggy will start tonight.
    - Rosehill will replace the injured Orr who was placed on the IR with a concousion.
    - Mike Brown will play tongiht his first game back from his suspension.
    - And Kommy is being investigated for hitting a women at a bar in Montreal. No word as to what the Leafs have to say or what they plan to do.