Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sean Avery

I...am your father.

Default Sean Avery

Is awesome.

The more he pisses people off, the more I love him. I can't believe that the league and most fans are such stiffs that they can't get past his act and like him for the true artist that he is.

"Oh, he shouldn't do that, there is a code"
    "He can't do that - that's disrespectful!"

It's all about winning - screw this imaginary code. The best thing I've ever seen was when he danced in front of Martin Brodeur, distracting him. Hilarious! He shouldn't bother you, he should make you laugh!

Stop taking life so seriously. We're all human. "Codes" are only guidelines, and not rigid rules. If you don't like his act, then don't like it. But I like him and love his act, and I don't care what people think of that
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Great One

no wonder you named your kid after him

jk...I can totally see Avery's value and understand what you are saying. I respect him as a hockey player because of his compete level and willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

But I don't like him as a person. Not that that matters at all in fantasy (or real) hockey.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would take him on the Leafs any day the ultimate super pest that does his job to fullest and seems to very much enjoy it.

I think what gets lost in all of his antics is that he is a very solid all around hockey player and that even if he were to be a Lady Byng nominee he would still have value in the NHL. Not so much in the fantasy hockey (without the PIMs)

The Magnificent One

Damn i was going to stay away from this thread bc i knew you were going to praise him and while i am all about throw the code out the window i still cant live with his dance in front of brodeur thing. call me a devil fan and thats why but most fans are old school. and anyone who is old school dont like disrespect and that is what he is.

Kovy said it the best last year. dont remember the quote but basically said he is of no concern bc he is nothing on the ice. he doesnt matter.

sorry just cant swallow this post.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Monster

I dont like him, but hey, who am I to judge. If I could screen and dance and block and talk shit , pull the antics ..at my job I'd be doing it..lol ? Anything you can do to make your money and live a good life, by all means do what you gotta do. He's found his niche so kudos to him.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I am a big fan of Avery as well. I don't agree with everything he does but I thought the Brodeur face guarding was ingenious. Not sure why people thought that was disrespectful or against the "code". Maybe they were just jealous he was the first guy to ever think about facing the goalie to screen him.

My main beef with Avery is that his media persona takes away from how good of a hockey player he actually is.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    Damn i was going to stay away from this thread bc i knew you were going to praise him and while i am all about throw the code out the window i still cant live with his dance in front of brodeur thing. call me a devil fan and thats why but most fans are old school. and anyone who is old school dont like disrespect and that is what he is.

Kovy said it the best last year. dont remember the quote but basically said he is of no concern bc he is nothing on the ice. he doesnt matter.

sorry just cant swallow this post.
    Love it!
    That's what I think it is - not so much that I'm pro-Avery...but I'm anti-old school! Get rid of the Old Boys Club. Get rid of this "Code". Get rid of the hockey fans who don't want things changed like 3 on 3 overtime. Get rid of old school people who think - "this thing needs to go here, and this thing needs to go there...because that's how it's always been"

You put your finger on it, you put my thought process on the right path!

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry Dobber, I can't agree with you here at all. It has nothing to do with some 'unwritten code.'

True, some of the things he does are actually quite creative and DO make me kind of laugh - the Brodeur thing is a good example. But he so many other things that cross the line that I can't respect or like him.

If he were the kind of guy that agitated and then answered the bell when someone dropped the gloves (Barnaby was like that - pain in the ass pest but he would go toe-to-toe with anyone) I might have some respect for him. But what does he do last incident? Goes after a small Euro defenceman with a semi-sucker-punch. I would have loved to see him try that on Stortini.

We couldn't disagree more on Avery - I don't care what the era or whether or not there are unwritten rules or not - there needs to be a certain level of respect in the game for your opponents. What Avery does goes beyond the parameters of the game, and he is either going to seriously hurt someone with a dumb disrespectful knee-jerk play, or someone is going to put his face through the boards.

We have been hearing stuff about head-shots and respecting your opponent ad nauseum in the past year - what Avery does is one of the things that makes other players cross the line and take guys like him out with real attempts to injure. And of course it goes back and forth, tit-for-tat. He won't drop the gloves so you have to get him some other way.

I have no problems with agitators and pests - they have a place but they can take it too far. It may be entertaining to some, but for me it is like Tyson biting Holyfield's ear - it crosses a line and tarnishes the sport.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Banned

yeah you're right Dobber, screw the 'code', screw the old way of thinking, wtf use is 93 years of tradition anyway? Fück yeah, lets make this league more exciting so we can get a big TV contract!...out with the old and in with the new, lets really shake some things up....like:

1)put the shootout in the playoffs too! That's way more exciting than watching 60 mins of OT for sure...
    2)having 3 periods is dumb, everyone else has halves or quarters, lets break it into two 30 mins halves so we can roll out a big stage at halftime for Justin Bieber to sing some bull$hit, he's just dreamy
    3)lets continue to wussify the game like they have with football so that all contact results in a penalty...we really gotta protect the goalies more too, I think its an automatic 5 min major if you so much as sneeze on a goalie, even if he's out of the net.
    4)speaking of the NFL, lets encourage all the players in the NHL to behave like spoiled little self-absorbed shitheads too. There's no 'I' in TEAM but there's definitely a big ME ME ME!
    5)oooooo, speaking of ME ME ME, lets find a way to make it less of a team game and more individualistic, like maybe a skills competition at halftime that focuses on fastest skater or hardest shot or something where you can earn extra pts. Oh I know!, we could have a cage match fight on ice maybe! Yeah that'd be hella sweet.
    6)lets make talent and skill take a back seat to on-ice theatrics and antics, because lets face it, drama sells...hockey is boring, we need to spice it up with some soap opera-like shenanigans, maybe take some tips from the WWF where they all have different allegiances and feuds and trash talk during interviews and stuff, fück yeah! I'd love to see Avery talking trash to Pronger at halftime then match em up in a cage match, that would be just awesome
    7)speaking of drama, everyone loves to see blood so lets make cheap shots the norm. Players should be encouraged to hurt each other, that really fuels the whole drama angle too and will really sell tickets
    8)we need more T&A, those ice sluts that we have cleaning the ice now need to be involved in the actual game somehow, like maybe we change the rules around so that its like a capture the flag type scenario, except we make it 'capture the babe'...oh and we need them much more scantily clad, sex sells afterall

Dobber Sports Ninja

This is one stance that you take Dobber that I just can't support in any way.

I don't think his endangering people, treating others like garbage, and completely disrespecting anything that even resembles hockey history has any place in any hockey that I will ever want to watch.

I respect your decision to support him but will never be on board with Avery.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Avery is a clown who plays with no respect for anyone. Code or not, there has to be some level of respect on the ice. Kaleta is the same way. At least agitators like Ott back their actions up from time to time.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Banned

All you fools talking about respect on the ice... You are idiots

You should all go with Don Cherry live on the moon or something

The purpose of a game is TO WIN IT

you do this at all cost within the written rules of the NHL

Human Nature likes to push boundaries, and that's where Avery is at his best

Doulos, you are a fool. If Avery was on the oilers you wouldn't mind him either.
    You really think Zack Stortini is a great agitator? Get lost dude

Mcgoo, same for your team.

Everyone would love to have the Avery's of the NHL on their team.

If anything, it's ridiculous that some agitators are even NHL players. If you want to make the
    game more exciting, why not roll 4 lines of skilled players, that don't need to "defend" themselves on the
    ice because that's what Campbell will do in his conference calls.

History of the game is great, but the fact of the matter is we live in TODAYS world. Time's change, things change. We have to protect players as blindside hits cause dangerous situations for HUMAN BEINGS. Avery is not a dirty player. Talking smack on the ice is the fartest thing from being dirty. Waving your hands in front of Brodeur is not dirty. It's an inventive way to get him off his game.
    He is the best at his "job" among pests in the NHL, and if you want to talk about respect, you guys gotta give him some more respect because he is so good at what he does.

Mcgooo, your post was hilarious, but stupid at the same time

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    All you fools talking about respect on the ice... You are idiots

You should all go with Don Cherry live on the moon or something

The purpose of a game is TO WIN IT

you do this at all cost within the written rules of the NHL

Human Nature likes to push boundaries, and that's where Avery is at his best

Doulos, you are a fool. If Avery was on the oilers you wouldn't mind him either.
    You really think Zack Stortini is a great agitator? Get lost dude

Mcgoo, same for your team.

Everyone would love to have the Avery's of the NHL on their team.

If anything, it's ridiculous that some agitators are even NHL players. If you want to make the
    game more exciting, why not roll 4 lines of skilled players, that don't need to "defend" themselves on the
    ice because that's what Campbell will do in his conference calls.

History of the game is great, but the fact of the matter is we live in TODAYS world. Time's change, things change. We have to protect players as blindside hits cause dangerous situations for HUMAN BEINGS. Avery is not a dirty player. Talking smack on the ice is the fartest thing from being dirty. Waving your hands in front of Brodeur is not dirty. It's an inventive way to get him off his game.
    He is the best at his "job" among pests in the NHL, and if you want to talk about respect, you guys gotta give him some more respect because he is so good at what he does.

Mcgooo, your post was hilarious, but stupid at the same time
    wow a little out of line ..... everyone is entitled to their opinion dude no need to call people stupid who you know nothing about.

As for what I bolded - see Avery hack on Komisarek's ankle as just one example. That's not dirty?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz93-...eature=related

how about a couple of dives - nothing like bringing a little soccer onto the ice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0PtJ4rqy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcxYcq7QMU

at least call it like it is - the guy is a dirty, cheap, p***y whose gloves seem to be attached with crazy glue ..... unless of course the guy looks away

Dobber Sports Icon

this guys a turd plain and simple, some of the sh!t he does is absolutley ridiculous. Now dont get me wrong when he plays hockey he's a good player, but then he'll do something to flush all that good stuff down the crapper.

Alot of crap references here, but Avery is worth it!

i wonder what his team mates think about him?
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

I...am your father.

I've seen Avery in lots of fights. He backs it up, but only if the timing of the fight helps his team win. If there's no point, then he walks away. Brilliant.

"Beats up a small defenseman"?? Huh? Smid is 6-3, 225. He's huge. And Avery hammered him.

Yes, there needs to be respect off the ice (the sloppy seconds was waaaay out of line), but on the ice...no, I'm not on board with that. There doesn't need to be respect at all. The players all know that you're not serious, or that your just smack talking. And if they let it get to them, then it's working...And I lost a bit of respect for Mike Richards for what he said about PK Subban. Cocky, arrrogant, "hasn't earned it" - that's precisely what I'm all for. The cockier the better. Maybe that's the fantasy hockey trash talker in me.

And McGoo, silliest, most pointless (but pretty funny, I did laugh) rebuttal ever. But I know you were just exaggerating your stance and cracking a joke...but all the same, put in some reasonable change suggestions to back your real point (but...if you do that, then you'd back MINE! lol)

Finally - Wendel - Avery is dirty (that's my point). Avery is cheap (why pay more? cheap is smart!). Avery is not a ***** - how brave do you have to be to do what he does and listen to all this shit not just from opponents, but from ignorant fans and "old school" media. And as for a player looking away - hell, if someone could kick my ass, I would wait until he looks away too. If it's the only way I can win a fight, then giddy up! You see - it's a fight. Two idiot humans trying to prove how macho they are. The basic rules (eye gouging, strangling, biting, taking off your skate and slitting throats, etc) are being followed. And diving to get his team a PP - how very smart of him! If he gets caught enough, and punished enough, he'll stop. Until then, why should he? WIN THE GAME