Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Story behind your username?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Story behind your username?

Hey everyone, I thought this might be fun.

There are many great usernames on these boards. Some bring back childhood hockey memories, some are just super clever/funny. I,m wondering if anyone would like to share how and why they came up thier username. Even if it may seem obvoius, does it have any special significance to you? Was the main thinking in choosing a username not "blowing your cover" to other G.M's in your league? Maybe a few words about your avatar, if there may be more meaning to it than meets the eye. Whatever you guys feel you want to post here with regards to your dobber identity is cool.

I will go first. I have been reading dobberhockey almost religiously for over 2 years, but I vowed to myself that I would only contribute to the boards after I had won a keeper league title, which I did last season.

When it came time for me register, I wanted a name hockey related, but a bit more obscure. Also, I didn't want other G.M's to figure out my identity (which I don't care about anymore). So I choose, at first one of my favorite hockey names of all time "zarley zalapski". After registering, I noticed there was already a "zz" on the site, but with the wrong spelling, so when dobber gave us a chance to change up our name, I jumped.

In the early 1900's, the New York Americans (hence the avatar), signed a French Canadian player by the name of Rene Boileau. The Americans crack marketing staff decided to promote him as the NHL's 1st and only Native American player and...get this, they actually translated his name to, and listed him as "rainydrinkwater".

I heard that story as a kid and always loved it's quirkiness. That is the story behind my username...hope I didn't bore anyone too bad, and feel free to contribute to this thread.

Peace, from the NHL's 1st Native American,

rainydrinkwater
    Last edited by rainydrinkwater; November 4, 2010 at 7:15 PM. Reason: TYPOS (PLURAL)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

When i made my hotmail account when I was a kid I was going to use my favorite album of the time (Dysfunction) but it was taken so i changed it up a bit... hate the name, but it's easy to remember so I've used it since. Use it almost everywhere so anyone in my leagues probably knows it's me but I don't really care.

Avatar... Hot girl, beer. Need I say more?
    Last edited by dyzfunctioned; November 4, 2010 at 5:32 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Great thread idea. It should be interesting and clear up some of the names on the boards.

Dean Youngblood from one of my favourite hockey films of all time - "Youngblood"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092272/

I wanted a hockey related name that was recognizable to most hockey fans and I am a huge fan of older movies but didn't want to go with "slapshot" characters.... Sidenote: I see that there is someone with the name "Reggie Dunlop" (only 1 post since 2007- boooooooooo) but I am surprised there aren't more SlapShot Character Usernames out there. "Player Coach Reg Dunlop", "Ned Braden" or "Denis Lemieux" would be awesome.

Since joining the forums, I have bought a Hamilton Mustang's Youngblood Jersey and it remains one of my favourites.

Check out this re-released "Youngblood" Trailer courtesy of Bloge Salming
    http://www.blogesalming.com/2010/08/...e-trailer.html

I am still waiting for someone to hop on the "Youngblood" train and go with the name "Racki"
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; November 4, 2010 at 5:21 PM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

P.Eng = professional engineer
    win = objective of a hockey game
    7 = my jersey number

I thought it was pretty clever when I brought it together...
    ...I am a bit embarrassed about it though... as a Flyers fan. (seriously)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    P.Eng = professional engineer
    win = objective of a hockey game
    7 = my jersey number

I thought it was pretty clever when I brought it together...
    ...I am a bit embarrassed about it though... as a Flyers fan. (seriously)
    Haha I always assumed you were just another Pens fan. Now we know different. Not so sure it works being a Flyers' fan ....very clever though.

Administrator

My username is my real name. Not much story here. Easy to identify me, but on the other hand people in my leagues know I'm here posting and asking for advice. I don't really care if they read my stuff though, it's a public forum and I know this before posting.

Avatar: I'm a fan of the old-style hockey games on SNES and Genesis. In fact I prefer them to today's more realistic games because the arcade feel gives more scoring chances and bigger hits. Besides, today the cap ruins the identity of teams, it's a revolving door so I find using a team on the new EA sports games has much less value than it used to. Shook81 made the avatar for me.
    Last edited by ericdaoust; November 4, 2010 at 5:32 PM.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

It simple and speaks for itself. I also like multi-cat players both for fantasy and in real life. So I went for the penalty box nickname. Someone has since used it without the space so don't confuse the two.

As far as the avatar I change it up all the time. I go from the "hot" avatar to a hockey related to the current "disturbing" one. If I find it interesting or funny I use it.

Good thread!
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Icon

Born in Winnipeg and have lived on the Prairies for a significant portion of my life. I consider BC my home now, but obviously still remember the Jets fondly.

Plus gophers are kinda neat little critters...
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    My username is my real name. Not much story here. Easy to identify me, but on the other hand people in my leagues know I'm here posting and asking for advice. I don't really care if they read my stuff though, it's a public forum and I know this before posting.
    is this you?
    http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=7089

or you?
    http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=114921

haha

Dobber Sports Padawan

angelofharlem... Pretty obvious I guess, I'm a huge U2 fan. Angels of Harlem is the name of my main keeper team (farm team: The Achtung Babies).

For a few years I went under a different name here (elevatemysoul), because I didn't want guys in my league to recognize me. But I'm kinda over that now, after being in a couple leagues where most owners are active here, I like the challenge of having everyone on an even playing field. So when Dobber let us change our names I was glad to do so.

My avatar: Martin Prusek of the KHL, who has all four U2ers painted on his mask. I think they could have come up with a much better U2 design, but cool nonetheless.

The Airborne Attack
    (GFHL - 14 Team Keeper League 2016 Champions)

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad
    D: Ekman Larsson, Carlson, Ristolainen, Parayko, Skjei, Ekblad, McNabb
    G: Price, Rinne, Halak, Montoya

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Born in Winnipeg and have lived on the Prairies for a significant portion of my life. I consider BC my home now, but obviously still remember the Jets fondly.

Plus gophers are kinda neat little critters...
    There's a team in my league called the Prairie Dogs... first time I ever saw you post, I thought you were my opponent for sure. But no...

The Airborne Attack
    (GFHL - 14 Team Keeper League 2016 Champions)

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad
    D: Ekman Larsson, Carlson, Ristolainen, Parayko, Skjei, Ekblad, McNabb
    G: Price, Rinne, Halak, Montoya

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Star

I've been into hockey pools for quite some time. I may or may not be a geek. At some point, I started applying some reasonably intensive valuation and stat manipulation techniques to the players on my teams... it was pretty much over at that point.

As for the avatar:

I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, I told Bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating so I don't see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolgeek View Post
    I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven...
    I effin looooove this movie... and Youngblood.
    Can't go wrong with movie references!

Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolgeek View Post
    I've been into hockey pools for quite some time. I may or may not be a geek. At some point, I started applying some reasonably intensive valuation and stat manipulation techniques to the players on my teams... it was pretty much over at that point.

As for the avatar:

I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, I told Bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating so I don't see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.
    HPG...That is one of the funniest most underated movies of all-time. Anyone that has ever worked in an office will get all the jokes.

BTW...I have your stapler!
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

The Wolverine

Username: self explanatory