Thread: Marty Turco

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Marty Turco

What does everybody think he'll do the rest of the way? Chicago seemed to be a godsend for the GAA of Niemi and Huet last season, and I'm thinking the same might happen with Turco. So far no dice, but is it a buy-low opportunity? The wins will be there, but what is the likelihood he can get to .915 and 2.50? Or is he simply past his prime?

Dobber Sports Stud

Yes, he's past his prime, and as always it depends on what you'd have to give up, but I think the numbers you mentioned are very realistic. Not that he's great defensively, but Campbell's return will help the Hawks there too because they can spread the ice time a little better, not wear Keith/Seabrook to the nub, and not rely so much on stiffs (yeah, I'm lookin' at you John Scott.)

Dobber Sports Ace

I, too, think he past his prime and I am just not liking his attitude when he gets scored on. Things are going to turn bad and I think Crawford will split starts before seasons end and be the starter next year.
    10 Team Salary Cap Keeper League-protect up to 15
    Total of points and +/-; position vs. position (ie. my 2 Centres vs. his 2 Centres)
    C -Crosby, Ribeiro, Strome, Granlund
    LW -Neal, Nyquist, Johansson, TBD
    RW -Coyle, Eberle, TBD, TBD
    D -Streit, Phaneuf, Green, Keith, Letang, TBD
    G -S. Mason, TBD

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Briarpatch00 View Post
    I, too, think he past his prime and I am just not liking his attitude when he gets scored on. Things are going to turn bad and I think Crawford will split starts before seasons end and be the starter next year.
    I agree. Crawford is being brought along slowly but while show up when Turco fades down the stretch.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks. I think I needed my expectations to be tempered. Good to find out that he doesn't have the best attitude, and not a lock on the full-time gig either. I was considering Vokoun for Turco and an upgrade at a forward position but now I think I'll just stick with Vokoun, even though the Ws aren't there for him.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sorry but I don't think Turco is past his prime and I don't think a Crawford taking over scenario is going to happen. I do however expect that Turco won't see more than about 55 starts perhaps a little less, but I do think he will remain the starter in Chicago. I expect his peripherals to improve a little as time goes on.

Dobber Sports Novice

The big problem here is the Hawks inability to prevent shots on goal.

This year they are giving up 32 sog a game (31.9 to be exact)

Last year they gave up 25. That is a huge difference and is impacting his gaa.

A good stat line comp for what most of us probably expected from Turco is the guy in Toronto, JS Giguere.

.905 svpct, 2.37 gaa

Alas, a .905 won't cut it in Chicago anymore, not thru the 1st month of the season at least.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by HeWentToJared View Post
    Alas, a .905 won't cut it in Chicago anymore, not thru the 1st month of the season at least.
    Turco is .916 going into tonight's game vs. NJ.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by CommittedToTheIndian View Post
    Turco is .916 going into tonight's game vs. NJ.
    I know. Heck, a .916 svpct won't cut it either!

His GAA is almost at 2.70

Last year a .916 svpct would have resulted in a sub 2.20 gaa

Dobber Sports Stud

I still think Campbell will help. They were scraping the bottom of the d-man barrel with Scott and since-demoted, not-ready-for-prime-time Leddy. But you're right, SOG against won't be like the last couple of seasons. They don't have enough horses any more to maintain puck possession like they did.