Thread: RASK or BERNIER

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default RASK or BERNIER

Keeper league

We need two goalies on our team, but only one counts at the end of the year. I have Fleury on my team so I expect that Fleury will the counting at the end of the year.

W = 2 pts
    SO = 2 pts
    OTL = 1 pt

Now that Thomas is playing so well, would you take Bernier over Rask. Like I said, I'm looking at the better options starting next year and beyond.
    Keeper league, pts only, no positionnal requirements

Administrator

Could these two possibly be in more similar situations?

They both have the pedigree and talent. Both play on very strong teams. And are both stuck behind overachieving American goaltenders who are playing very strongly to start the season.

For the life of me I can't predict when each is going to take over as a starter or when they do, which one will be better. I that right now the best you can go off of is Rask's strong season last year that proved he can be a full time starter in this league.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thomas probably won't remain with Boston after this season. Rask and Bernier are both valuable keepers but at this point Rask is the one to hold onto.

Dobber Sports Monster

Flip a coin and pick one, both I think on very close to the same paths of talent and upside.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    overachieving American goaltenders
    And nationality is pertinent to the discussion how? An American goaltender nearly brought the gold south of the border earlier this year.

I agree that Rask is slightly more proven. 'Course, he's Finnish, whereas Bernier is Canadian ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Thomas probably won't remain with Boston after this season. Rask and Bernier are both valuable keepers but at this point Rask is the one to hold onto.
    why is this such a persistent viewpoint???
    he's signed thru 2013, the market has fallen out of the high paid goalies market, and many teams are struggling with cap issues already, why would another team want to take on $5mil/yr? And aside from that, why would the Bruins want to trade a guy who is playing so amazing for them?

As the OPs question...its really a coin flip, as it stands now it looks like Rask will get more starts sooner but all it takes is a Quick injury to change all that

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by CommittedToTheIndian View Post
    And nationality is pertinent to the discussion how? An American goaltender nearly brought the gold south of the border earlier this year.

I agree that Rask is slightly more proven. 'Course, he's Finnish, whereas Bernier is Canadian ...
    LOL... OK bro...
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

My preference is Rask.
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by CommittedToTheIndian View Post

Lol... I think that you misunderstood the manner in which MD stated it. I read it as they are both overacheiving AND American, while these two talented kids wait. He didn't mean it in any derogatory sense toward American hockey (which is great, love a lot of American players!).

With that said, chill silver! lol
    11 team Keeper League (14 out of 30) Salary cap of 90.72 million$, actual salary.
    Cats...Pts (1G, 1A), +/- and PIMs divided by 10

C.. Malkin Getzlaf Stepan Kadri
    RW.. Kessel Marchand Brunner Silfverberg
    LW.. Parise Vanek Jagr C.Wilson
    D.. Shattenkirk Karlsson Yandle Visnovsky Rielly R.Murray
    G..Rask, Schneider

Bench (paid)... Johansen, Kassian, Belov, Josi, Lehner, Paajarvi
    Unsigned... Campbell, Pouliot, Gustaffson, Frolik

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd go Rask here. The rumours of Quick's demise are greatly exaggerated. He has been playing lights out this year whilst Bernier has been a bit inconsistent in the starts that he has gotten this season.

Rask has proven that he can be a starter at the NHL level whilst Bernier has yet to accomplish this.

Another distinction between Quick and Thomas is that Quick is also a talented kid himself instead of an aging vet. The Kings have got Quick and Bernier locked down for the next few years and they would be silly not to use them both.
    Yahoo 1 yr Roto, 5 teams, 11/30 roster adds used
    [Starting positions: 3x C, 5x W, 5x D, 2x G, 2x IR, 5x BN]
    [G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, SH%, Hits, B/S, W, GAA, SV%, SO]

C: Crosby, Getzlaf, Toews, Johansen (C/W), Giroux (C/W), Hall (C/W), Cammalleri (C/W)
    W: Hartnell, Perry, Panarin
    D: Klingberg, Josi, Doughty, OEL, Girardi, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Anderson, Halak, Crawford

Go Kings !

Dobber Sports Prodigy

All the talk of Bernier taking over was when LA had crap like Labarbara in nets, Quick has been great for them and could be a better goalie than Bernier. Rask is probably worth keeping based on last year, but I don't expect him to take over for Thomas this year.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks to everyone, seems like the consensus is in for Rask because he's more proven.
    Keeper league, pts only, no positionnal requirements