Looks like he is going to get a shot to win the starting gig this year which makes sense as he is the future in Atlanta

"Ondrej Pavelec will likely get his fair share of starts for Atlanta in the early going of the season. However, coach Craig Ramsay would prefer to have one of Pavelec or Chris Mason see the majority of the starts this campaign. "I think one of the goalies will play more," said the Thrashers' bench boss. "That would not be unreasonable. I've been with teams that have been 50-50 and we won a Vezina with it. I don't think that really works. It can. I've seen it. We definitely are going to play each night with a plan in our minds of making this young player be a star. I think he can be. ... I have a plan for how the team should play. I have a plan for where we want to go. You always have to be ready." The "young player" he was alluding to did in fact turn out to be 23-year-old netminder, Ondrej Pavelec. Whether or not Pavelec takes the ball and runs with it will hinge on his performances between the pipes. A starter for Friday's opener versus the Capitals has not been announced yet."